BCB - Sly & The Family Stone

Threads and discussion dedicated to major acts.
geoffcowgill
exceptionally nondescript

BCB - Sly & The Family Stone

Postby geoffcowgill » 26 Jun 2006, 17:17

You can keep your Syd Barretts, this is the saddest living drug casualty. What a gifted man this guy was. There's A Riot Goin' On probably gets more accolades and Fresh is maybe a hipper choice, but Stand! is damn near perfect. My song choice is "Family Affair". If you stand back from your familiarity to it, it seems amazing that this weird, freaky little song was such a hit. Does anyone know if it has any autobiographical elements, Sly being the child who just loves to burn? At any rate, it's an essential recording if just for the man's strangled screams. He's rock's best screamer.

Favorite Album - Stand!

Favorite Song - "Family Affair"

Davey the Fat Boy

Re: BCB - Sly & The Family Stone

Postby Davey the Fat Boy » 26 Jun 2006, 18:18

geoffcowgill wrote:You can keep your Syd Barretts, this is the saddest living drug casualty. What a gifted man this guy was. There's A Riot Goin' On probably gets more accolades and Fresh is maybe a hipper choice, but Stand! is damn near perfect. My song choice is "Family Affair". If you stand back from your familiarity to it, it seems amazing that this weird, freaky little song was such a hit. Does anyone know if it has any autobiographical elements, Sly being the child who just loves to burn? At any rate, it's an essential recording if just for the man's strangled screams. He's rock's best screamer.

Favorite Album - Stand!

Favorite Song - "Family Affair"

You nailed it again. "Family Affair" by a mile. Though all votes for "Everybody is a Star" and "Hot Fun in the Summertime" get counted.

BajaJaba

Postby BajaJaba » 26 Jun 2006, 18:34

I've preferred Luv 'n Haight to Family Affair.....

Favourite album is "There's a riot goin' on"

Trippy, monumental, insightful....

toomanyhatz
Power-mad king of the WCC
Location: Just east of where Charlie Parker went to do some relaxin'

Postby toomanyhatz » 26 Jun 2006, 18:35

Just a giant, even more amazing when you consider how little he's done for the last 30 years. All he did was set the template for all of contemporary R&B for the next 40 (or more) years, and he basically did it in about 5 years. Yes, his current condition is sad, but the saddest thing about the Grammys was not so much him as Maroon 5 and Steven Tyler acting like they had any business up there.

Best song - Too many to name. Right now, "If You Want me to Stay" will do, though.

Best album - Toss-up between "Riot" and "Fresh."
Footy wrote:
The Who / Jimi Hendrix Experience Saville Theatre, London Jan '67
. Got Jimi's autograph after the show and went on to see him several times that year

1959 1963 1965 1966 1974 1977 1978 1981 1988 2017* 2018 2020!! 2023?

Bungo the Mungo

Postby Bungo the Mungo » 26 Jun 2006, 18:35

I just think he had some fantastic melodies. Why wasn't he a success in the UK, back in the day? Lack of marketing?

K

Postby K » 26 Jun 2006, 18:55

If. You. Want. Me. To. Stay.

flawless

Prograstinator

Postby Prograstinator » 26 Jun 2006, 18:56

Their Greatest Hits is super and I should definately check out their albums so thanks for the recommendations. 'Everyday People' is unquestionably Great, what album is it on?

K

Postby K » 26 Jun 2006, 18:58

L'Tangent wrote:Their Greatest Hits is super and I should definately check out their albums so thanks for the recommendations. 'Everyday People' is unquestionably Great, what album is it on?

It's on Stand, which is fucking brilliant!

Clippernolan
Maya's Prop

Postby Clippernolan » 26 Jun 2006, 18:59

Album - I have no idea - I get by on the Greatest Hits!

Song - "Thankyou falettinme bemice elf "(or how ever it's spelled) with "Family Affair" close on it's heels.
Read my blog - The Delete Bin

The Write Profile
2017 BCB Cup Champ

Postby The Write Profile » 27 Jun 2006, 00:33

I've said this before, but if I want tunes, I go for Stand!, if I want mood, I go for ...Riot. Indeed, in some ways they do seem like two sides of the same LP, even to the extent that Sly deliberately turns the groove of Thankyou(forlettingmebemicelfagain) inside out for "Thank You For Talking to Me, Africa," leaving nothing but a hollow shell of a song, a junkie's last call.

It's amazing how much his voice has deterioated in such a short space of time, too, the same man who dances with the high notes on "Everyone is A Star" merely two years later sounds like he's struggling to muster the strength to sing when he wrenches the falsetto on "Time." That and the fact that the drum machine both nullifies the awesomely elastic groove which was their strength before, but replaces it with something more contemptuously metronomic. Also the fact that it sounds so muffled, too, probably as a result of all the overdubs. As Greil Marcus said, it's muzak with its finger on the trigger.

The early singles are the most enthralling though, perhaps one of the great runs of singles during that decade?

I don't know, but it's pretty damn close. So much humour in their early stuff too, there's a real cheekiness to "Hot Fun in the Summertime" and "Dance to the Music"

Great, great band. What a waste, though Sly's performance at the Grammys this year was tantamount to a breaking and entering!
Last edited by The Write Profile on 27 Jun 2006, 00:55, edited 2 times in total.
It's before my time but I've been told, he never came back from Karangahape Road.

Leg of lamb
Jane Austen enthusiast

Postby Leg of lamb » 27 Jun 2006, 00:48

Impossible to dislike, surely? You want fun, you got it; you want dark, fucked up ragamuffin shit, you got it; you want a bucket of soul ... well, you get the picture. Everything there is to like about music could pretty much be summed up by a Sly best-of. Let's bin the rest.

My favourite song is 'Luv 'n Haight'. When it breaks into that 'Feels so good' ending ... goosebumps aren't far behind.
Brother Spoon wrote:I would probably enjoy this record more if it came to me in a brown paper bag filled with manure, instead of this richly illustrated disgrace to my eyes.

Magilla
Otago Mago

Re: BCB - Sly & The Family Stone

Postby Magilla » 27 Jun 2006, 00:59

geoffcowgill wrote:You can keep your Syd Barretts, this is the saddest living drug casualty.

You're right - Syd at least has no urge whatsoever to be in the spotlight again, yet Sly looked like a right chump on the Grammies, looking utterly stupid with that mohawk, just hopelessly embarassing for a man of that age.
"U2 routinely spent a year in the studio...I have a theory: if you put four monkeys in the studio for a year with Lanois and Eno and Lillywhite, they would make a pretty good record, too."

Sneelock

Postby Sneelock » 15 Jul 2006, 02:39

ablum: Stand!
song: Sing a Simple Song

go ahead: try a little do re me fa so la tee do.

Return to “BCB 100”