BCB 100 - Led Zeppelin

Threads and discussion dedicated to major acts.
Bungo the Mungo

Postby Bungo the Mungo » 21 Jun 2006, 02:58

Album: IV

Song: We're Gonna Groove

king feeb
He's the consultant of swing

Postby king feeb » 21 Jun 2006, 03:35

Album: II

Song: "Misty Mountain Hop"
You'd pay big bucks to know what you really think.

geoffcowgill
exceptionally nondescript

Postby geoffcowgill » 21 Jun 2006, 06:47

You know, Physical Graffiti is the best, isn't it? Those keyboards all over the place really work well, and it's quite consistent for a double album. What should be left off? "Boogie With Stu" is the only thing that really deserves the skip button, and even it has that interesting drum thing going on (sounds like a drum machine -- who can tell me what that's about?). The whole thing is just a godawful monumental slab of rock muscle. It is largely lacking in the things that turn me off about the band-- the Hobbit crap, Plant's squeezed-testicle keening, the endless blues yawnfests. It's the power of the band displayed as impressively as it ever was to be on record, with the drums seemingly mixed into the red and the most gorgeous thump and zoom this side of the Who in their prime. Prime cut for me is "The Wanton Song", with that Bonham change-up bringing a grin to the face and that double-tracked whammy buzz sounding like a Boeing taking off, peeling your scalp.

Favorite Album - Physical Grafitti

Favorite Song - "The Wanton Song" when I want to be sonically battered; "Over the Hills and Far Away" for more relaxing listening

soundchaser
Rokster & Rollster

Postby soundchaser » 21 Jun 2006, 07:11

An impossible task, but for today, I'll choose Houses Of The Holy and the song that closes it: The Ocean. Zeppelin were so dammed good though, that your choices change depending what particular album and song you may be listening to at any one particular time.

Bungo the Mungo

Postby Bungo the Mungo » 21 Jun 2006, 08:14

geoffcowgill wrote:You know, Physical Graffiti is the best, isn't it? Those keyboards all over the place really work well, and it's quite consistent for a double album. What should be left off? "Boogie With Stu" is the only thing that really deserves the skip button, and even it has that interesting drum thing going on (sounds like a drum machine -- who can tell me what that's about?). The whole thing is just a godawful monumental slab of rock muscle. It is largely lacking in the things that turn me off about the band-- the Hobbit crap, Plant's squeezed-testicle keening, the endless blues yawnfests.

I wish I could see it that way. I know many regard it as their best, but to me, it's a second-rate collection. And it's packed with endless yawnfests.

The Fish
Beer Battered

Postby The Fish » 21 Jun 2006, 08:31

Pops Coan wrote: I know many regard it as their best, but to me, it's a second-rate collection. And it's packed with endless yawnfests.

I know you were referring to Physical Grafitti, but the above is my view of IV in a nutshell.

Actually Levee is Ok and Four Sticks/California I can live with, but Black Dog, Rock & Roll, Battle of Evermore and Stairway to Heaven I really don't want to hear again ...... ever.

Album: III
Track: Tangerine (and No Quarter)
We're way past rhubarb

Oscar
Northern Taoist

Postby Oscar » 21 Jun 2006, 09:55

Pops Coan wrote:
geoffcowgill wrote:You know, Physical Graffiti is the best, isn't it? Those keyboards all over the place really work well, and it's quite consistent for a double album. What should be left off? "Boogie With Stu" is the only thing that really deserves the skip button, and even it has that interesting drum thing going on (sounds like a drum machine -- who can tell me what that's about?). The whole thing is just a godawful monumental slab of rock muscle. It is largely lacking in the things that turn me off about the band-- the Hobbit crap, Plant's squeezed-testicle keening, the endless blues yawnfests.

I wish I could see it that way. I know many regard it as their best, but to me, it's a second-rate collection. And it's packed with endless yawnfests.

My sentiments entirely.

Oscar
Northern Taoist

Postby Oscar » 21 Jun 2006, 10:12

Matt Wilson wrote:
Ranking Rupert wrote:
Oscar wrote:The Lemon Song

But how can anyone listen to this and keep a straight face?

Plant didn't write that line. It's from an old Robert Johnson tune.

I thought it was all based around Howlin Wolf's 'Killing Floor'? I think it's a joyous tribute and a marvelous showcase of the bands individual talents.

Neige
Alpine Numpty
Location: On 2 oz of plastic with a hole in the middle (of nowhere)

Postby Neige » 21 Jun 2006, 10:14

the masked man wrote:I'll just now offend half the board by nominating Robert Plant - that my-trousers-are-two-sizes-too-small yelping has never done anything for me.

As these are my thoughts exactly, I never really bothered much: to me, Percy's histrionics ruin most of it completely.

But if you insist:

Album: Led Zeppelin 1

Song: Babe You're Gonna Leave Me
Thumpety-thump beats plinkety-plonk every time. - Rayge

Hare Brained
Maddie as a March Hare

Postby Hare Brained » 21 Jun 2006, 10:20

Ranking Rupert wrote:

All that stuff about having his lemon squeezed and the juice running down his leg? It'd be quite funny if it was by, I dunno, Julian Clary, or even Julian Cope, come to think of it. Or David Lee Roth! Yes! that would be fantastic!

But Percy's version is preposterous and he doesn't seem to realise it.

*ahem* Not preposterous to everybody.

Penk!
Midnight to Six Man

Postby Penk! » 21 Jun 2006, 12:54

I should probably opt for Physical Graffiti as my favourite album but if I'm honest I do have an enduring liking for IV despite being aware it is incredibly silly. Heartbreaker's my favourite song, though.
fange wrote:One of the things i really dislike in this life is people raising their voices in German.

Google_[Bot]

Postby Google_[Bot] » 21 Jun 2006, 13:28

Ranking Rupert wrote:

All that stuff about having his lemon squeezed and the juice running down his leg? It'd be quite funny if it was by, I dunno, Julian Clary, or even Julian Cope, come to think of it. Or David Lee Roth! Yes! that would be fantastic!

But Percy's version is preposterous and he doesn't seem to realise it.

I guess I just can't help but find Led Zeppelin, well, silly, really.

Sorry. I realise I'm in a minority of one. I'll leave this thread alone now!

You are not alone. I really can't understand how anyone can listen to Led Zep II.
I quite like III and even think that daft, waily viking thing is rather fun (and splendidly brief).

The Prof
Trading coffee in Abyssinia

Postby The Prof » 21 Jun 2006, 13:33

Rorschach wrote: I really can't understand how anyone can listen to Led Zep

Exactly.

Oscar
Northern Taoist

Postby Oscar » 21 Jun 2006, 14:12

Classic Prof wrote:

Exactly.

What a total lack of testosterone. Can't you get some implanted? You must have some 'rock' in you, shirley?

Gay!

The Prof
Trading coffee in Abyssinia

Postby The Prof » 21 Jun 2006, 14:54

Oscar wrote:
Classic Prof wrote:

Exactly.

What a total lack of testosterone. Can't you get some implanted? You must have some 'rock' in you, shirley?

Gay!

Are you saying The Pastels and the June Brides don't rock? :x

Hare Brained
Maddie as a March Hare

Postby Hare Brained » 21 Jun 2006, 15:00

Rorschach wrote:even think that daft, waily viking thing is rather fun

One more time then

Oscar
Northern Taoist

Postby Oscar » 21 Jun 2006, 15:24

Classic Prof wrote:Are you saying The Pastels and the June Brides don't rock? :x
Do any of them own a codpiece?

Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure

Postby Snarfyguy » 21 Jun 2006, 16:08

Rorschach wrote:I quite like III and even think that daft, waily viking thing is rather fun (and splendidly brief).

That song should be erased. It's deeply bad.
GoogaMooga wrote: The further away from home you go, the greater the risk of getting stuck there.

Davey the Fat Boy

Postby Davey the Fat Boy » 21 Jun 2006, 17:21

This one's easy:

Album: Houses of the Holy

Song: Houses of the Holy

By far the best of the wannabe Led Zeppelin clone bands.

brassneck..
Getting away with it

Postby brassneck.. » 21 Jun 2006, 18:44

Album - III

Song - Ramble On

Return to “BCB 100”