BCB 100 - The Smiths

Threads and discussion dedicated to major acts.
Tom Violence
Superchod

Postby Tom Violence » 19 Jun 2006, 11:09

Genius song. 8-)

Belligerent ghouls
run Manchester schools
spineless swines
cemented minds

Sir leads the troops
jealous of youth
same old suit since 1962
he does the military two-step
down the nape of my neck
I'm the sort who gets out of a bath with a dirty face

The Slider
Self-Aggrandising Cock

Postby The Slider » 19 Jun 2006, 12:00

It is arch and sort of amusing because of its absurd overwroughtness.

And that, my friends, is The Smiths and all they are, were and ever will be - encapsulated.
Complete Ramones Mp3 set on its way

Bungo the Mungo

Postby Bungo the Mungo » 19 Jun 2006, 12:15

The Slider wrote:It is arch and sort of amusing because of its absurd overwroughtness.

And that, my friends, is The Smiths and all they are, were and ever will be - encapsulated.

Sometimes pithiness will not suffice, John. As Mr. Penk will attest. :wink:

Penk!
Midnight to Six Man

Postby Penk! » 19 Jun 2006, 12:16

the name is Coan wrote:
The Slider wrote:It is arch and sort of amusing because of its absurd overwroughtness.

Sometimes pithiness will not suffice, John. As Mr. Penk will attest. :wink:

He is right though. I said earlier on the thread - although as Oscar remarked of your comment, it seems to have been conveniently neglected - that I'm perfectly happy to wallow in musical misery, I just don't like the way the Smiths do it.
fange wrote:One of the things i really dislike in this life is people raising their voices in German.

Brother Spoon
Billy Crystal

Postby Brother Spoon » 19 Jun 2006, 12:55

There are two things I can't stand about the Smiths and none of them are Marr, Joyce or Rourke.

The Oscar Wildean wit. Certainly the worst part of David Bowie's influence on British popmusic is the idea that it is not only ok to live a decadent life but to make it a central philosophical point of your public persona and music. It is not profound, it is not interesting and it isn't funny in the slightest. And no, repeating the same joke over and over again doesn't make it more bearable.

The stereotype gayness of it all. Some of my best friends etc. blah blah blah.
Meet Luigi, Italian stereotype on the Simpsons. When Luigi appears on the screen, it makes me laugh that he is such a blown-up cartoon stereotype. I would however not consider purchasing a record of his songs and poetry.
Meet Morrissey. He's a hairdresser with flowers up his trousers, isn't he? The inverse Henry Rollins.
Fair enough of course, but it does not speak to me at all.
I'll stick to my Ted Nugent records.

Penk!
Midnight to Six Man

Postby Penk! » 19 Jun 2006, 13:01

Spoon Wearing Disguises wrote:The stereotype gayness of it all. Some of my best friends etc. blah blah blah.
Meet Luigi, Italian stereotype on the Simpsons. When Luigi appears on the screen, it makes me laugh that he is such a blown-up cartoon stereotype. I would however not consider purchasing a record of his songs and poetry.
Meet Morrissey. He's a hairdresser with flowers up his trousers, isn't he? The inverse Henry Rollins.
Fair enough of course, but it does not speak to me at all.
I'll stick to my Ted Nugent records.

Idon't really mind that actually. I guess if I'm honest Morrissey's hypocritical refusal to admit his sexuality is probably a bit annoying but in the end it's his decision and he paid for it by not getting any. But it's only something that affected the way he performed rather than the music - he was arch and fey but that doesn't bother me too much. Certainly not in the way that something like Antony and the Johnsons does - that kind of thing is basically someone screaming "look at me! I'm so gay! Isn't that great? I'm gay!" and I just think "why should I care?" and it annoys me because he's trying to make it a selling point.
The Smiths don't have that effect on me and I never noticed it creeping into their music all that much, plenty of artists have a fey persona without crossing over into full-blown camp and Morrissey is no exception.
fange wrote:One of the things i really dislike in this life is people raising their voices in German.

Xeopac

Postby Xeopac » 19 Jun 2006, 13:03

I love how much Morrissey gets to people by refusing to play the game so often.
Out Of The Frying Pan

Copehead wrote:Morrissey...is a meal at La Manoir au Quat Saison.

Brother Spoon
Billy Crystal

Postby Brother Spoon » 19 Jun 2006, 13:06

Penk wrote:
But it's only something that affected the way he performed rather than the music

Sorry, I don't get this.
Do you recommend I study the sheet music instead of listening to the records? There's not much chance of buying one of his records and not having him perform on it, is there? :?

It's only my own personal appreciation, of course. But yes, 'full blown camp' is a good way of putting it. That's what I hear.

The Prof
Trading coffee in Abyssinia

Postby The Prof » 19 Jun 2006, 13:12

I think the pair of you are banging your heads very hard on the wrong door.

Brother Spoon
Billy Crystal

Postby Brother Spoon » 19 Jun 2006, 13:16

Classic Prof wrote:I think the pair of you are banging your heads very hard on the wrong door.

We were only trying to get a room.

Oscar
Northern Taoist

Postby Oscar » 19 Jun 2006, 13:21

Penk wrote:I'm perfectly happy to wallow in musical misery, I just don't like the way the Smiths do it.

Is the correct answer. God, this is like working in the reception class at the infants. Deeeeerrrrrrrr!

drama queen

Postby drama queen » 19 Jun 2006, 14:09

The Smiths? What a buch of cunts! Morrissey is miserable because he fucking moans through half of his songs.

"Whoooaaaaaaa- ooohhhhhhh - whoooooaaaaaaaaa - ooooohhhhh .... hand in glove
the sun shines out of my minge"

What a twat!

Mike Boom

Postby Mike Boom » 19 Jun 2006, 14:39

It was the "MARGARET ON THE GUILLOTINE" thing that did it, right?

drama queen

Postby drama queen » 19 Jun 2006, 14:53

Mike Boom wrote:It was the "MARGARET ON THE GUILLOTINE" thing that did it, right?

How childish was that song? I'll tell you honestly it made me laugh more than it made me cry. I'd like to be locked in a room with him for 10 minutes, I'd slap the bastard senseless. I reckon that's what he's always been short of. I hear is mother was a bit of a loon. maybe she tampered with him or something and that's what sent him a bit gay.

Penk!
Midnight to Six Man

Postby Penk! » 19 Jun 2006, 14:55

Spoon Wearing Disguises wrote:
Penk wrote:
But it's only something that affected the way he performed rather than the music

Sorry, I don't get this.
Do you recommend I study the sheet music instead of listening to the records? There's not much chance of buying one of his records and not having him perform on it, is there? :?

It's only my own personal appreciation, of course. But yes, 'full blown camp' is a good way of putting it. That's what I hear.

Fair enough, in that case you just see it in a different way. I just meant that I thought that the gayness of it all was more noticeable in his prancing round with flowers and quiffs rather than being all that evident in the singing.

Brother Spoon
Billy Crystal

Postby Brother Spoon » 19 Jun 2006, 15:01

Penk wrote:
Spoon Wearing Disguises wrote:
Penk wrote:

Sorry, I don't get this.

Fair enough, in that case you just see it in a different way. I just meant that I thought that the gayness of it all was more noticeable in his prancing round with flowers and quiffs rather than being all that evident in the singing.

Ah, I see. I actually haven't seen that much Smiths footage (or any that I can think of really). I've heard about his performing schtick, but that was after I'd formed an opinion on the music. For me, it's in the lyrics and the delivery.

Still, nothing wrong with the backing tracks. :D

copehead
BCB Cup Stalinist

Postby copehead » 19 Jun 2006, 18:30

Penk wrote:[ I guess if I'm honest Morrissey's hypocritical refusal to admit his sexuality is probably a bit annoying .

So his refusal to give you full access to his personal life is hypocritical and annoying.

OK
Dancing in the streets of Hyannis

Bear baiting & dog fights a speciality.

Penk!
Midnight to Six Man

Postby Penk! » 19 Jun 2006, 18:35

Jarg Armani wrote:
Penk wrote:[ I guess if I'm honest Morrissey's hypocritical refusal to admit his sexuality is probably a bit annoying .

So his refusal to give you full access to his personal life is hypocritical and annoying.

OK

No, his hypocrisy is annoying.

It seems to me that most of the Smiths' most ardent fans actually loathe the band. A need to slag them off vicariously is surely the only explanation for the way so many of them put words of vehement hatred into the mouths of people who are being far less critical.

copehead
BCB Cup Stalinist

Postby copehead » 19 Jun 2006, 18:54

Penk wrote:
Jarg Armani wrote:

OK

For the life of me I can't see what is hypocritical about not informing you as to the facts of his sexuality.

I didn't realise it was on the application form for pop star
Dancing in the streets of Hyannis

Bear baiting & dog fights a speciality.

Owen
definitely not Travolta

Postby Owen » 19 Jun 2006, 19:04

Jarg Armani wrote:
Penk wrote:
Jarg Armani wrote:

OK

For the life of me I can't see what is hypocritical about not informing you as to the facts of his sexuality.

Hypocrisy would be the "making up another sexuality and banging on and on about it" bit, or lying as it's generally called

Return to “BCB 100”