JUOTA 2019 ?

Events people say they're coming to until a day or so before the event.
BARON CORNY DOG
Diamond Geezer

Re: JUOTA 2019 ?

Postby BARON CORNY DOG » 04 Jun 2018, 14:05

Corp Whore has tagged me on FB, so I’ll say that the reason I haven’t said anything about this is that it is very unlikely we’ll be able to attend, so I’ll stay out of the planning talk. Our anniversary is in April, so we typically go somewhere for that. We’ll be in the UK for XMAS this year and plan to be in Estonia in summer 2019 and probably again the following winter. Obviously we would love to be at any JUOTA and I wouldn’t rule it out if it was nearby or flights were super cheap somehow. So plan away, I’m sure it’ll be excellent wherever it is and I’m glad people want to get it going again.
take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

toomanyhatz
Power-mad king of the WCC
Location: Just east of where Charlie Parker went to do some relaxin'

Postby toomanyhatz » 04 Jun 2018, 22:29

sloopjohnc wrote:
Jumper K wrote:Fuck Denver! What’s there apart from some mountainous shit?

Nothing. I went a couple months ago to a tradeshow. While a nice little city, there's not much there there.

Boulder, however, is beautiful and has tons of great bars and restaurants (or at least did when I was there last - visiting none other than our own Davey the Fat Boy!) Plus, CAG and Feeb are there (I assume they'd welcome us, but of course should that become a serious contender we should certainly check in with them before we appoint them hosts!)

I'm cool with wherever, and no guarantees that I/we can make it anyway, but I would most definitely love to see this happen.

If it's San Diego, my presence would be at least 95% certain.
If Denver/Boulder, it probably dips to 75-80%
Vancouver/Toronto/DC maybe just a little below that, but I would make every effort.

I would try for New Orleans, but as I said, I'm more interested in somewhere we haven't been before (though I'd probably do Austin again in a heartbeat).
Footy wrote:
The Who / Jimi Hendrix Experience Saville Theatre, London Jan '67
. Got Jimi's autograph after the show and went on to see him several times that year

1959 1963 1965 1966 1974 1977 1978 1981 1988 2017* 2018 2020!! 2023?

The Fish
Beer Battered

Postby The Fish » 05 Jun 2018, 13:00

Savannah - I'm here right now and loving it.
We're way past rhubarb

BARON CORNY DOG
Diamond Geezer

Postby BARON CORNY DOG » 05 Jun 2018, 13:15

The Fish wrote:Savannah - I'm here right now and loving it.

That’s on my list of places to go, for sure.
take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

yomptepi
BCB thumbscrew of Justice

Postby yomptepi » 05 Jun 2018, 13:34

I am in, as long as it is somewhere new. Toronto sounds good. I missed the Austin one, so that would be fine too.
You don't like me...do you?

Livet
'progressively malty'

Postby Livet » 07 Jun 2018, 15:34

I wasn't sure I could make this because I have another possible trip planned earlier in the month. But what the hell, I'm up for it!

I like the idea of Savannah or Toronto, though I'm not too fussed.
The crazy music drives you insane

Daddy Longlegs

Postby Daddy Longlegs » 07 Jun 2018, 16:53

Of the places floated, I'm probably up for any of them, but in order, for me its:

1. San Diego
2. Denver/Boulder
3. Toronto
4. New Orleans
5. Chicago
6. Austin
7. Middle Earth

toomanyhatz

Postby toomanyhatz » 07 Jun 2018, 18:15

For me it's:

1. San Diego/Tijuana
2. Denver/Boulder
3. Vancouver (could include Seattle)
4. Toronto
5. Austin

I like the idea of Savannah well enough, but it might not be that practical for us being on the whole other side of the country.
Footy wrote:
. Got Jimi's autograph after the show and went on to see him several times that year

The Fish
Beer Battered

Postby The Fish » 07 Jun 2018, 19:11

toomanyhatz wrote:I like the idea of Savannah well enough, but it might not be that practical for us being on the whole other side of the country.

It's practical for me being on the other side of the ocean !
We're way past rhubarb

Sambient

Postby Sambient » 17 Jul 2018, 16:17

Daddy Longlegs wrote:Of the places floated, I'm probably up for any of them, but in order, for me its:

1. San Diego
2. Denver/Boulder
3. Toronto
4. New Orleans
5. Chicago
6. Austin
7. Middle Earth

Austin would result in one or more new tattoos, grok.
And gives us Minnie and Baron.

Don't know what kind of immunizations we'd need for Middle Earth.

Phenomenal Cat
death on four legs

Postby Phenomenal Cat » 01 Nov 2018, 14:02

LeBaron wrote:Corp Whore has tagged me on FB, so I’ll say that the reason I haven’t said anything about this is that it is very unlikely we’ll be able to attend, so I’ll stay out of the planning talk. Our anniversary is in April, so we typically go somewhere for that. We’ll be in the UK for XMAS this year and plan to be in Estonia in summer 2019 and probably again the following winter. Obviously we would love to be at any JUOTA and I wouldn’t rule it out if it was nearby or flights were super cheap somehow. So plan away, I’m sure it’ll be excellent wherever it is and I’m glad people want to get it going again.

Austin it is!
kath wrote:i will make it my mission to nail you.

But somehow when you smile, I can brave bad weather.

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 03 Nov 2018, 14:47

Phenomenal Cat wrote:
LeBaron wrote:Corp Whore has tagged me on FB, so I’ll say that the reason I haven’t said anything about this is that it is very unlikely we’ll be able to attend, so I’ll stay out of the planning talk. Our anniversary is in April, so we typically go somewhere for that. We’ll be in the UK for XMAS this year and plan to be in Estonia in summer 2019 and probably again the following winter. Obviously we would love to be at any JUOTA and I wouldn’t rule it out if it was nearby or flights were super cheap somehow. So plan away, I’m sure it’ll be excellent wherever it is and I’m glad people want to get it going again.

Austin it is!

wait what??????????????????
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Flower wrote:I just did a google search.

BARON CORNY DOG
Diamond Geezer

Postby BARON CORNY DOG » 03 Nov 2018, 16:32

To be clear, we're absolutely thrilled if people want to come to Austin and any year people want to do that is great. I'm not pushing for it though because it's kinda bogus when people volunteer their own cities, and we've had a few big gatherings here in the past. On the plus side, there is lots to eat and drink here, lots of music and record shopping, the city changes fast so it's probably different than it was the last time you were here, and if people from the UK or Europe want to come out, there are now direct flights from London (BA and Norwegian), Frankfurt (a budget carrier, I don't remember which---Condor, maybe?), and Toronto (Air Canada). The downside is that it can be pretty hot in late May, it's been here before, and there are lots of other places to do it.

Like I said, all are welcome, but I don't exactly want to stump for it for the reasons in this post and in my post quoted above.

Carry on, as you were, etc.

Bent Fabric

Postby Bent Fabric » 03 Nov 2018, 20:50

Phenomenal Cat wrote:

Austin it is!

Corporate whore
Genuine and Authorised Pope

Postby Corporate whore » 08 Nov 2018, 09:11

Anybody know how to set up a poll? Or is that option turned off?

We really need to be making some decisions;

I vote for Toronto, San Diego, Denver in that order.

Would love another Austin trip, but suspect late May will be too hot for us.

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 10 Nov 2018, 17:57

Corporate whore wrote:Anybody know how to set up a poll? Or is that option turned off?

I think it's only a tab option when you start a thread.
Don't fake the funk on a nasty dunk!

The Fish
Beer Battered

Postby The Fish » 01 Jan 2019, 12:05

I think a poll wouldn't work for the same reason we don't use them in the cups. Anyone can vote anonymously including aliases and shit stirrers.

ANyway it is now 2019 so this needs sorting if it is going to happen. WIth that in mind I'm going to suggest that the consensus option looks to be San Diego which I am more than happy with (primary criterion for me is that it be somewhere new).

I know I might be making a rod for my own back here if I actually say I am calling it, but the fact is (and previous years bear this out) we have no real mechanism for deciding and it usually needs someone bold enough to make a decision amidst all the faffing around.

I'm therefore putting San Diego forward as the venue elect and I stress this is on the basis of consensual rather than personal preference. I'd imagine the Whores, the Toomanies and the Cristinas are on board wth this and I'd assume Jumper and Yomp. If all of those sign up then that to my mnd is a quorum, although obviously I hope others will also make it.

Spare me the " put you in charge?" comments. I'm merely makng an effort to move this forward, where it seems to have stalled. If enough post on here in agreement I'll call it and start official thread in a week or so. This is still up for debate in the meantime, but I genuinely believe getting on boord with San Diego offers the best best chance of making this happen, as opposed to yet more "What about <insert name here>" type posts which to date have got us precisely nowhere.

Over to you....
We're way past rhubarb

toomanyhatz

Postby toomanyhatz » 01 Jan 2019, 18:35

Nobody?

OK, I'll say it.

Let's fucquin do this.

San Diego is probably the only location I could commit to right now. I'd be happy with any of the others floated too, but those would require a lot more planning.

San Diego '19. You know it makes sense.
Footy wrote:

harvey k-tel
Long Player

Postby harvey k-tel » 03 Jan 2019, 16:01

Late May and June is my busiest time at work, so for me to take off more than a long weekend is out of the question, and to travel to San Diego for just a couple of days doesn't seem too logical to me - yeah I know I've flown to London several times for JU weekends, but San Diego ain't London. If I had time to take in a few days in LA and San Francisco I'd probably be more inclined, but at this stage I'm gonna have to say I'm out.
Tempora mutatur et nos mutamur in illis

toomanyhatz

Postby toomanyhatz » 03 Jan 2019, 17:12

But if it were in Toronto...

(Which would be fine with me, just less likelihood that I'd make it.)
Footy wrote:

Return to “Footy Ups”