L.A. / Ventura J.U. Saturday May 13? Sign up already...

Events people say they're coming to until a day or so before the event.
TG

Re: L.A. / Ventura J.U. Saturday May 13? Sign up already...

Postby TG » 15 May 2017, 20:59

So I get stuck in horrendous L.A. traffic on my way to what I knew would be a mini JU of only Matt and I. I'm a bit annoyed as Matt and I live a few miles apart and could have met much closer to home. I'm wishing we had just changed the location. I park and start walking east toward the venue. I look up and see someone walking west who looks exactly like Paul The Fish. But it can't be, right? What would he be doing here? But the guy who looks like Paul walks into the joint I'm heading into. So, maybe it's him? But that's absurd.

I pick up my pace because it looks exactly like Paul. He's spent a drunken day at my house listening to music with a bunch of other BCBers seven years ago. I think I know what he looks like. Of course, I was pretty drunk that day, too. I head in and immediately know it IS Paul. He's giving Matt a hard time because Matt doesn't recognize him.

It was surreal. He googled the pub we were going to and spent hours on L.A. buses getting there. Good thing we didn't change the location. We had no idea he was in town.

So we hang for a couple of hours until I had to leave for band rehearsal. They do their best to persuade me to blow it off but to no avail. After rehearsal I go to Matt's place to find two very well hydrated individuals in the midst of a Dead and Springsteen binge. It was pitiful. But a gas.

The next day Paul and I tooled around the city going to eat, to record stores and to The Watts Towers to show him one of my favorite Los Angeles landmarks; all the while listening to some great New Orleans music on a beautiful SoCal day.

If you haven't met The Fish you really should trek to the next JU he's attending. A gentleman,a scholar and an all around pretty swell guy. Thanks for the unbelievable surprise. Hope to see you again sooner than later.
Jeff K wrote:Not at all. I love TG. I might be the only one on BCB who does but I don't care.

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 15 May 2017, 22:09

TG wrote:So I get stuck in horrendous L.A. traffic on my way to what I knew would be a mini JU of only Matt and I. I'm a bit annoyed as Matt and I live a few miles apart and could have met much closer to home. I'm wishing we had just changed the location. I park and start walking east toward the venue. I look up and see someone walking west who looks exactly like Paul The Fish. But it can't be, right? What would he be doing here? But the guy who looks like Paul walks into the joint I'm heading into. So, maybe it's him? But that's absurd.

I pick up my pace because it looks exactly like Paul. He's spent a drunken day at my house listening to music with a bunch of other BCBers seven years ago. I think I know what he looks like. Of course, I was pretty drunk that day, too. I head in and immediately know it IS Paul. He's giving Matt a hard time because Matt doesn't recognize him.

It was surreal. He googled the pub we were going to and spent hours on L.A. buses getting there. Good thing we didn't change the location. We had no idea he was in town.

So we hang for a couple of hours until I had to leave for band rehearsal. They do their best to persuade me to blow it off but to no avail. After rehearsal I go to Matt's place to find two very well hydrated individuals in the midst of a Dead and Springsteen binge. It was pitiful. But a gas.

The next day Paul and I tooled around the city going to eat, to record stores and to The Watts Towers to show him one of my favorite Los Angeles landmarks; all the while listening to some great New Orleans music on a beautiful SoCal day.

If you haven't met The Fish you really should trek to the next JU he's attending. A gentleman,a scholar and an all around pretty swell guy. Thanks for the unbelievable surprise. Hope to see you again sooner than later.

Wow, that's quite a story.
Don't fake the funk on a nasty dunk!

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 16 May 2017, 02:14

Yeah, I had a great time with Paul and Tom. I did recognize Paul right away, I just couldn't recall his name. We met at Pickwick's because it was closer to Dave's place, but priorities being what they are, his haircut took precedence. Definitely something to consider next time that venue is offered. I didn't realize until the next day that Paul and I forgot to eat dinner - I guess the beer and whiskey provided all the calories we needed. And thank God, the Fish can do the math for a proper darts game, as all I ever do is try to hit the bullseye every time and keeping score is not this boy's forte. He had to be properly schooled though in foosball, so I feel I did my part.

zoomboogity
Shakin' All Over

Postby zoomboogity » 16 May 2017, 03:19

There's so much construction going on in Hollywood right now that the mere thought of staying there made me seriously claustrophobic, so we made like Babylon Sisters and drove west on Sunset to the sea. Once we got into West Hollywood, the traffic was lighter than I've seen in years, maybe decades. I have no idea what that was about, it's usually pretty awful all day long, but no complaints, it actually made driving fun for a change. Before long, we got as far as Mel's, and I realized that I've never been there in my life, so why not. Gotta stop somewhere, might as well pick a place with free parking! Eats was good, the company was gooder, and it's always nice to see an old friend after so many years and feel like we're picking up right where we left off. Wherever "that" was! Nothing extraordinary to report - well, the light traffic in West Hollywood was actually quite extraordinary - I just want to thank Paul again for a pleasant outing. Y'all come back now, y'hear?

And as long as things like this are still going on, this ol' board still has some life in it, so thank you BCB as well! It still cracks me up that this thread was started two years ago. It ended even better than I expected! :D

"Quite."

toomanyhatz
Power-mad king of the WCC
Location: Just east of where Charlie Parker went to do some relaxin'

Postby toomanyhatz » 16 May 2017, 08:00

Matt Wilson wrote: We met at Pickwick's because it was closer to Dave's place, but priorities being what they are, his haircut took precedence. Definitely something to consider next time that venue is offered.

Not that I owe anyone an explanation, but I assure you this is not at all the case.

Really sorry I missed you, Paul. Come back for the Cat and Fiddle grand opening, whenever the hell that's gonna be...
Footy wrote:
The Who / Jimi Hendrix Experience Saville Theatre, London Jan '67
. Got Jimi's autograph after the show and went on to see him several times that year

1959 1963 1965 1966 1974 1977 1978 1981 1988 2017* 2018 2020!! 2023?

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 16 May 2017, 15:40

toomanyhatz wrote:
Matt Wilson wrote: We met at Pickwick's because it was closer to Dave's place, but priorities being what they are, his haircut took precedence. Definitely something to consider next time that venue is offered.

Not that I owe anyone an explanation, but I assure you this is not at all the case.

What's not the case, that you chose the venue, or that you were getting your haircut when we were at the pub at 3:00? As anyone can see by reading your comments on this thread both of those facts are assuredly true.

Quaco
F R double E

Postby Quaco » 16 May 2017, 19:05

I've been spending the last couple days visiting my mom, as she spent them in the hospital. She's fine now, and out and going strong. But I am sorry I missed the JU, I really am. It has been way too long. And The Fish!!

In the spirit of things, we did get to a bar in the middle of the day on Saturday, so we were almost there. Here is me looking blase, superior and/or totally wasted.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

harvey k-tel
Long Player

Postby harvey k-tel » 16 May 2017, 20:20

Whatcha drinking?
Tempora mutatur et nos mutamur in illis

WG Kaspar

Postby WG Kaspar » 16 May 2017, 20:34

If I ever decide to visit LA how much time do you need to make up suitable excuses?
I run out of talent

zoomboogity
Shakin' All Over

Postby zoomboogity » 16 May 2017, 21:06

After this thread, the sky's the limit! (Seriously, if you do come here to visit, we'll do our best to meet up with you, even if it's not all at once.)

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 16 May 2017, 21:13

Quaco, I hope your mum is ok
Paul, WTF! Are you planning a 'surprise' Austin visit too? I'd rather know so I can wipe the cat vomit off the bed in the spare room.
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Flower wrote:I just did a google search.

zoomboogity
Shakin' All Over

Postby zoomboogity » 16 May 2017, 21:45

He said his flight back home was leaving at 4pm, so if he's not already at the airport, he's on his way. He has no wi-fi access, so if he doesn't respond for a day or so, you know why.

Quaco
F R double E

Postby Quaco » 18 May 2017, 00:34

Quaco wrote:I've been spending the last couple days visiting my mom, as she spent them in the hospital. She's fine now, and out and going strong. But I am sorry I missed the JU, I really am. It has been way too long. And The Fish!!

In the spirit of things, we did get to a bar in the middle of the day on Saturday, so we were almost there. Here is me looking blase, superior and/or totally wasted.

Kwak (a Belgian beer). Apropos name-wise I guess!

The Fish
Beer Battered

Postby The Fish » 18 May 2017, 13:26

So back home after a great trip. Things started to go awry before I'd even left. The original plan was for one day in Seattle and then take the train to LA, but Amtrak informed me a week before I flew out that the train was cancelled, actually the whole route was suspended indefinitely due to a damaged bridge in Redding CA, so an extra day in Seattle and a flight to LA instead.

First off, Dave and Jim, don't sweat it. Sorry to have missed you of course but I know you had more important things to deal with. Next time (and I promise it won't be another 7 years)

Anyway the rest of the guys definitely stepped up to the plate. So I ended up making up 33% of the JU attendance rather than the 20% planned

So after the JU it was back to Matt's to wait for TG to finish band rehearsal, So a ride in the (in)famous Matt WIlson's car, a cold beer from the fridge and Grateful DEad video on play. A night to remember. Matt even gve me stack of DVDs to bring home. Thanks again Matt.

Sunday and Tom generously put his chauffeuring services at my disposal for the day and we had a geat time. First stop food and CD store. THe observatory trip didn't pan out as it was too crowded and the nearest parking lot was full. Tom pointed out where we would need to walk to, which looked about a mile away, and a mile up!! My response was that ain't gonna happen. Anyway plan B was the Watts towers which were indeed as wierd and wonderful as Tom had suggested by which time it was back into town and time to eat again. GReat day Tom, thanks again.

THe bonus of the trip was a call to the hotel from Richard (Zoomboogity) and a plan to meet for lunch on Monday. THanks Richard I really appreciated you making the effort and glad to hear you are starting to see some light at the end of the tunnel with regard your medical issues.

ANd finally although no one could make it out Monday night, you unwittingly did me a huge favour as I went back instead for a final look round AMoeba and spotted something I'd been after for a while that I'd missed before. In one of the cabinets housing the box sets etc I saw the 5CD set of Little Walter's complete Chess masters for a mere $80 -an absolute steal and if you don't believe me the cheapest on US Amazon is currently $600+ and on UK AMazon there is one for sle at £1300 !!!!!
We're way past rhubarb

Quaco
F R double E

Postby Quaco » 18 May 2017, 21:37

A CD nerd's happy ending!

zoomboogity
Shakin' All Over

Postby zoomboogity » 19 May 2017, 00:24

The Fish wrote:ANd finally although no one could make it out Monday night, you unwittingly did me a huge favour as I went back instead for a final look round AMoeba and spotted something I'd been after for a while that I'd missed before. In one of the cabinets housing the box sets etc I saw the 5CD set of Little Walter's complete Chess masters for a mere $80 -an absolute steal and if you don't believe me the cheapest on US Amazon is currently $600+ and on UK AMazon there is one for sle at £1300 !!!!!

In a way, that covers the cost of your plane ticket! I remember scouring the second-hand record bins of LA in the '80s, it was so fun. A lot of the people working at those places had no idea what the stuff was worth, or they just thought anything that came out before 1978 was "that old hippie crap" - meanwhile, you'd find some long-out-of-print Beefheart album in great condition for $2, and when the clerk was ringing it up, you'd almost be trembling with glee, hoping to get out of there before anyone figured it out! The mid-'80s were even better, people were unloading their entire record collections and replacing them with CDs. I remember a friend calling me up to tell me that a store near us had a ton of Coltrane vinyl that someone had just disposed of, and to get there ASAP. I went that day, saw about 20 of them, bought only three, then went back the next day to get more, and they were all gone. (sad trombone) Eventually the jig was up, and those rarities you'd find for $2 were now $15 or $20... while those same records were also available on CD for maybe less. It's always a matter of time before the hipsters ruin everything!

Quaco
F R double E

Postby Quaco » 05 Jun 2017, 03:41

Dropped by the new Cat and Fiddle today for a pint or three. Not as outdoorsy as the other one, but there is an outdoor area, and the inside has some booths and long tables, so a variety of seeing situations. Not bad. I still wish they would get more English beers though. I mean, it's an English pub, innit?

Six String

Postby Six String » 18 Jun 2017, 00:43

All's well tgat ends well. Great story all the way around.
Everything is broken
B. Dylan

Return to “Footy Ups”