US vs UK - the Jolly Ups

Events people say they're coming to until a day or so before the event.
Nikki Gradual
nasty, brutish and short

US vs UK - the Jolly Ups

Postby Nikki Gradual » 28 May 2014, 21:57

Who's had the best?
"He's thrown a kettle over a pub; what have you done?"

The Prof
Trading coffee in Abyssinia

Re: US vs UK - the Jolly Ups

Postby The Prof » 28 May 2014, 23:24

Paris

toomanyhatz
Power-mad king of the WCC
Location: Just east of where Charlie Parker went to do some relaxin'

Postby toomanyhatz » 28 May 2014, 23:31

I've only ever been to two UK Jolly-Ups, but they were great. A lot of people came out to the London one, and a smaller group had a great time in Liverpool.

The JUotNA was a great tradition for the seven years it lasted, but we can't seem to get another together. Maybe next year. And the LA ones (with or without special guests, including or not including Matt Wilson's car) are pretty epic too. But the UK ones continue unabated, even after Bandgate.

Pretty much a toss-up, then, I guess.
Footy wrote:
The Who / Jimi Hendrix Experience Saville Theatre, London Jan '67
. Got Jimi's autograph after the show and went on to see him several times that year

1959 1963 1965 1966 1974 1977 1978 1981 1988 2017* 2018 2020!! 2023?

Walk In My Shadow
Hello Laydeez

Postby Walk In My Shadow » 03 Jun 2014, 10:04

Where's the time gone when London had a pre-, a proper and a post- Jolly Up?

But I think the Baron deserves the prize for the best organized JU. Hell yeah!!!
Beneluxfunkmeisterlurvegod

BARON CORNY DOG
Diamond Geezer

Postby BARON CORNY DOG » 03 Jun 2014, 18:41

Walk In My Shadow wrote:But I think the Baron deserves the prize for the best organized JU. Hell yeah!!!

:D

Y'all come back, now!
take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

Muskrat
World's Foremost Authority
Location: Next to the park; across the street from the college; and the freeway at my back

Postby Muskrat » 15 Aug 2014, 06:37

The Coan Gang wrote:One time, I went home wearing Smamfy's fairy wings.

If you'd take them off and return them, maybe she'd start posting here again.
Things that a fella can't forget...

Lord Rother wrote: I’m with Googs.

Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.

Postby Diamond Dog » 18 Aug 2014, 11:19

Having been to those early London JU's (especially the August 2003 event, where there were, what, 55 people in attendance?) nothing will ever better those. Even so, the quieter ones (like the 11 attendee day last week) are still very good.

Barcelona was superb, with Tym and Steve being fabulous hosts. Prague was also very good, with John Coan putting aside his natural inhibitions and organising superbly.

Orlando (twice) was very special - with Jamie, Chris & Bryan turning up one year - and just me and Chris the year aterwards. Those guys travelled a long way for that and I'll aways appreciate that.

The two LA JU's I attended were wonderful fun - too many names to mention, but a nicer, funnier crowd I couldn't hope to meet. One day I certainly hope to be seeing you all again.

So - London is the answer. But I would love to do the others again.
Nicotine, valium, vicadin, marijuana, ecstasy, and alcohol -
Cocaine

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 20 Aug 2014, 17:51

Leeds - Summer '11. My first day in England after a long flight. Some highlights. Me and Django seeing some Northern JUers ahead of us walking to the pub, a bunch of guys and Minnie. I told Django, "watch this," and I barreled into them, making sure to hit Minnie, who was leading the pack, on the shoulder and kept walking for a few yards before turning around. Minnie had been the only person who'd met me before. Django said the expression on the other guys' faces was a priceless expression of "So are any of us going to do anything?"

The JU was a jumble of BCB faces. I did get a chance to sit down with Sensi, Molony Joy for awhile, whom I appreciated coming, Sandhya for awhile and briefly talked to other folks. The funniest high point was the Northerners singing some unintelligible song at Brother Louie's coaxing. Cured me of jet lag I ordinarily get.

Liverpool - Summer '11. A better group of guys you couldn't hang with. Kid P, whom I'd already met, Jumper K, Packrat, John K, Kevin (Difficulty Dancing) and Django, my host. We just had a great time drinking and talking.

San Francisco (a couple times). Great night out with Six String, Kid P and his buddy seeing Dave Alvin and the Guilty Women. We got to a couple SF places. Tommy's Joynt, Edinburgh Castle and Great American Music Hall. The night finished out with a late night dinner (like 1 am) at Tommy's Joynt. I found out later that they ate at Tommy's almost every day.

Got a nice compliment from John. I referred them to an Irish pub on Clement St. When I asked how it was, Kid P told me the Guinness was almost as good as in Liverpool.

There was also the JU of America - I didn't party as much as some people. The plan was to pick up Baron at his cousins in the Sunset and go to Berkeley but my car broke down. Luckily, we got it fixed in time to meet people at Perry's at Union Street - the fated first meeting between Baron and Minnie, along with Andy Macandy, Les (Six String) and his wife. The night after was the Toronado with a full cast of characters, including Toomanyhatz and Carolyn, his wife, Rita, The Fish, T Willy Rye, and others. It's down now, but there was a pic of me and The Fish about to dig into sausages on a bun from the place next door. I gave Richard the rest of my pot because I knew they'd use it better than me.

Then there's been various Hardly Strictly Bluegrasses with Toomanyhatz, Minnie, Six String once.

LA - Matt Wilson's car.

Been down to three or four, but the first time I attended, I watched the guys play at a music studio. They didn't know who I was and I didn't know if you called someone by their real name or their BCB name. A great bunch of guys: Jim, Dave, Michael, Willie, and the rest of the perennials. It's where I met Phil/Balboa, from Liverpool and lives in Leeds, who isn't on BCB anymore. I also met Pete at a LA Jolly Up. I traveled 450 miles to meet him only to be greeted by him wearing a fucking Dodgers cap. I hate the Dodgers!

There have been a couple other hook ups with people visiting SF, but those are the bigger ones.
Last edited by sloopjohnc on 21 Aug 2014, 16:01, edited 5 times in total.
Don't fake the funk on a nasty dunk!

BARON CORNY DOG
Diamond Geezer

Postby BARON CORNY DOG » 21 Aug 2014, 00:33

sloopjohnc wrote:There was also the JU of America - I didn't party as much as some people.

:oops:
take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 21 Aug 2014, 13:42

sloopjohnc wrote: I also met Pete at a LA Jolly Up. I traveled 450 miles to meet him only to be greeted by him wearing a fucking Dodgers cap. I hate the Dodgers!

At least it wasn't a 'casual' cap - I had actually been the day before to see the Dodgers..... I remember the look on your face and the way you tried to be polite, John.... :lol:
Cocaine

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 21 Aug 2014, 15:56

Diamond Dog wrote:
sloopjohnc wrote: I also met Pete at a LA Jolly Up. I traveled 450 miles to meet him only to be greeted by him wearing a fucking Dodgers cap. I hate the Dodgers!

At least it wasn't a 'casual' cap - I had actually been the day before to see the Dodgers..... I remember the look on your face and the way you tried to be polite, John.... :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I was shocked - I don't know why.

I remember Willy and me next regaling you how heated the rivalry was by telling you how Giants pitcher, Juan Marichal, once took a bat to Dodgers' catcher, John Roseboro, during a game.

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 21 Aug 2014, 16:12

Diamond Dog wrote:

If you ever make it to San Francisco, we'll have to go to a real ballpark. You can look out on the bay instead of LA basin.

Last year, I met Heilan Coo and Miss Sweden on their honeymoon and had some drinks before the ballgame they attended. It killed me not being able to go.

They had been to Alcatraz that day and they were sunburned in only the way folks from the UK can get sunburned. Which reminds me - one time Minnie was up here and commented on her tan. I looked at her incredulously with a look that said, "Really?" I think she told me to fuck off.

But I'm glad you got to go to Dodgers stadium. It's actually pretty nice and the way you went with your daughters was great - getting the bleacher deal with the food and all. Smart choice.

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 21 Aug 2014, 16:24

We went two years in a row - fantastic nights out, both of them. I take a passing interest in baseball, but seeing a game live is the only way to really experience it. Much like American Football, to be honest.

I think a really vivid memory was at the last LA event I attended, standing at the bar with Matt Wilson, I think you and Hatz (but I really can't recall that well) and maybe one or two others - and getting incredibly drunk,,,,, I remember the great Kinks debate with Matt very well.... :)
Cocaine

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 21 Aug 2014, 16:30

Diamond Dog wrote:We went two years in a row - fantastic nights out, both of them. I take a passing interest in baseball, but seeing a game live is the only way to really experience it. Much like American Football, to be honest.

I think a really vivid memory was at the last LA event I attended, standing at the bar with Matt Wilson, I think you and Hatz (but I really can't recall that well) and maybe one or two others - and getting incredibly drunk,,,,, I remember the great Kinks debate with Matt very well.... :)

I left pretty early at yours because I was driving.

I remember you getting a little pissed off because those guys took so long to get food.

Here's the thing about LA. We all talk about Matt Wilson's car but Quaco is LA's secret weapon. I've never experienced it, but the pics show that he's a marathon man and the next morning I'm always looking at photos of drunken out-of-towners posing for some photo with Quaco and his significant other at some seedy hotel or late night dive.

harvey k-tel
Long Player

Postby harvey k-tel » 21 Aug 2014, 17:47

sloopjohnc wrote:Here's the thing about LA. We all talk about Matt Wilson's car but Quaco is LA's secret weapon. I've never experienced it, but the pics show that he's a marathon man and the next morning I'm always looking at photos of drunken out-of-towners posing for some photo with Quaco and his significant other at some seedy hotel or late night dive.

It's just what you do...

ImageImage
Tempora mutatur et nos mutamur in illis

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 21 Aug 2014, 18:54

sloopjohnc wrote:I remember you getting a little pissed off because those guys took so long to get food.

:) Oh my god yes.....

It's a menu.....take a quick look and order what you like. Today preferably.

It's not a novel.
Cocaine

Quaco
F R double E

Postby Quaco » 21 Aug 2014, 20:48

Harvey K-Tel wrote:
sloopjohnc wrote:Here's the thing about LA. We all talk about Matt Wilson's car but Quaco is LA's secret weapon. I've never experienced it, but the pics show that he's a marathon man and the next morning I'm always looking at photos of drunken out-of-towners posing for some photo with Quaco and his significant other at some seedy hotel or late night dive.

It's just what you do...

Look at those lightweights in the bottom pic!
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 22 Aug 2014, 06:01

Diamond Dog wrote:
sloopjohnc wrote:I remember you getting a little pissed off because those guys took so long to get food.

:) Oh my god yes.....

It's a menu.....take a quick look and order what you like. Today preferably.

It's not a novel.

Agreed.

It's not like it's Moby Grape vs. Jefferson Airplane.

Nachos or egg rolls - who cares?

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 22 Aug 2014, 08:37

Some did greatly, it appeared :)
Cocaine

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 13 Mar 2015, 00:38

I think that Mrs. Quaco is the best dressed woman I've ever seen.
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Flower wrote:I just did a google search.

Return to “Footy Ups”