WFMU Record Fair

Events people say they're coming to until a day or so before the event.
Qube

WFMU Record Fair

Postby Qube » 16 Nov 2013, 21:48

http://wfmu.org/recfair/

Anyone going this year? It was cancelled last year and I've never been so I'm quite keen. Saturday seems the obvious day to go but Jeffrey Lewis is doing a set on the Sunday and I'd like to see him.

PS - Brooklyn Vegan has a voucher that gets you $2 off admission http://blogfiles.wfmu.org/LB/RecFair/Coupon-BVegan.jpg

Guy E

Re: WFMU Record Fair

Postby Guy E » 20 Nov 2013, 22:48

Well... this thread hasn't gained much traction.

I'm planning to go on Saturday. I'll probably get there sometime after noon and can be periodically found cooling my heels over by the beer dispensary. I don't have anything on my Want List, but I always find something, eventually.

It's a fun time and two years is a long wait. It used to be a twice-annual affair, but now it's just once and with the hurricane last year...
["Minnie the Stalker"]The first time that we met I knew I was going to make him mine.

Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure

Postby Snarfyguy » 20 Nov 2013, 23:12

Thanks to Guy for reminding me to look in this section.

This is a very busy weekend for me, and it's possible the only time I'll be able to get there is Friday evening - with Clementine, which doesn't really make any sense, but I guess it beats staying at home watching Yo Gabba Gabba.

I might be able to peel away for a little while on Saturday afternoon. I'm not really looking for anything. Charlie O's been looking for this King Biscuit Flower Hour transcription disc of a Rockpile set. If anyone sees that, please grab it and I'll pay you back.

Qube, you must go. It's the event of the season.
GoogaMooga wrote: The further away from home you go, the greater the risk of getting stuck there.

B

Postby B » 20 Nov 2013, 23:25

I'll be there Saturday with my face in boxes of records, seeing Liquor Store, and drinking beers, say hi

Qube

Postby Qube » 21 Nov 2013, 06:29

Yeah I didn't even notice that Liquor Store (and Shannon and the Clams) were playing on Saturday, I will definitely be there!

Guy E

Postby Guy E » 21 Nov 2013, 18:56

Snarfyguy wrote:Qube, you must go. It's the event of the season.

It is a must attend event. But Qube, do you even have a turntable? There are some CD's mixed-in here and there, but this is a vinyl event.

Snarf, I used to take Lara with me in the days of yore on my weekly music shopping excursions, but I can't imagine Clementine cooperating for more than an hour at best. She might start crying as soon as she sees the sprawl and the human detritus in attendance.
["Minnie the Stalker"]The first time that we met I knew I was going to make him mine.

Qube

Postby Qube » 21 Nov 2013, 20:01

I'm ordering a turntable in the next few days (need to wait until I'm back from thanksgiving as I'm off to NH for a few days), so I figured this was a good opportunity to start buying vinyl again! I'm planning on picking this up: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002GY ... PDKIKX0DER

Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure

Postby Snarfyguy » 22 Nov 2013, 04:51

Guy E wrote:Snarf, I used to take Lara with me in the days of yore on my weekly music shopping excursions, but I can't imagine Clementine cooperating for more than an hour at best. She might start crying as soon as she sees the sprawl and the human detritus in attendance.

Yeah, I figure to the extent I'll be there, I'll just go around with her on my shoulders and take it in. I doubt she'll put up with much crate-digging.
GoogaMooga wrote: The further away from home you go, the greater the risk of getting stuck there.

Guy E

Postby Guy E » 22 Nov 2013, 13:51

Snarfyguy wrote:
Guy E wrote:Snarf, I used to take Lara with me in the days of yore on my weekly music shopping excursions, but I can't imagine Clementine cooperating for more than an hour at best. She might start crying as soon as she sees the sprawl and the human detritus in attendance.

Yeah, I figure to the extent I'll be there, I'll just go around with her on my shoulders and take it in. I doubt she'll put up with much crate-digging.

I'm glad to hear that you can carry her on your shoulders for an extended time without it bothering your back. Kid's love sitting on daddy's shoulders... when they're young it's more than enough to keep them happy for an hour.

Guy E

Postby Guy E » 24 Nov 2013, 17:09

it was a good fair and well-attended. I ran into Mr. & Mrs. Qube at the entrance and luckily they had an extra discount coupon... saved me two-bucks!

I also saw Brian and ran into a bunch of other friends and acquaintances, but I didn't really hang out with anyone - no post-fair beers. I picked up albums by Porter Wagoner, Melba Montgomery, Gene Dozier & The Brotherhood and bought the Sundazed MONO vinyl issue of Canned Heat's debut, which sounds great. I picked up some CD's from Sundazed too, from the 3 for $10 racks including two Northwest Garage Rock comps.

My favorite score of the afternoon is a woodblock print of Johnny Cash from artist John Carruthers. The image is about 11" x 14". I chatted with him for a while and he said that he just got married a couple weeks ago and our own Snarfyguy and family attended the wedding.

Mine has a red background on top around his hands and head. He had a b+w version like this too, but the quality of the print wasn't as good, some detail was lost/filled-in on the woodblock so I went for the two-color job. Just $40.00... money well spent.

Qube

Postby Qube » 25 Nov 2013, 18:52

It was fun, I didn't pick anything up in the end but browsed a fair bit. You know those times when you aren't quite feeling what to buy? That was me. I caught the sets by Shannon and the Clams then Liquor Store. Shannon's set didn't sound so good, vocals too low in the mix (not that I expect great sound at these things...). I saw Brian for a few seconds during Liquor Store's set, I've seen them four or five times and they're just a really fun band.

Afterwards I headed out to see Crocodiles and Wymond Miles in Williamsburg.

Return to “Footy Ups”