New Orleans late April '14

Events people say they're coming to until a day or so before the event.
eelpie62
carpetbagger

New Orleans late April '14

Postby eelpie62 » 20 Oct 2013, 16:50

The little lady and I will be spending a week in New Orleans in the second half of April next year.
I've lost track, aren't there a few BCBers in that area?
Usually when we go back to the south we go to our old home of Birmingham but this year we've decided to go back to NO for the first time in over a decade.
We'd love to meet up with folk from here but at the very least we'd like to get some "must do" advice.
"Nuts"
~ Anthony McAuliffe, December 22, 1944

Walk In My Shadow
Hello Laydeez

Re: New Orleans late April '14

Postby Walk In My Shadow » 20 Oct 2013, 16:54

Nolamike is the go to guy.

Kath used to live there.

Several us have been there and some jollied there.
Beneluxfunkmeisterlurvegod

Six String

Postby Six String » 22 Oct 2013, 21:40

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=62836

This is the link to the N.O. JU from a few years ago. It has some must see, eat, sleep and do thing when you have time.
Everything is broken
B. Dylan

Sambient

Postby Sambient » 23 Oct 2013, 03:05

And then there's this one from 2012

Ooh. Looks like I started both of those threads, dint I? Only been the few times, but I love New Orleans. All someone has to do is tell me they're going there and I get all wistful-like.
I don't know if Nolamike will still be in residence at that point, but in 2012, he directed us to some amazing choices.

And a chance-upon that Daddy Longlegs and I were particularly taken with, and keep trying to find an identical experience elsewhere on the US map, is Acme Oyster House. Sure it's in the touristy French Quarter, but oh my god, those charbroiled oysters slay us.

Also, elsewhere, Abita is merely okay beer. In New Orleans, paired with the cuisine and the climate, it is just the right thing.

Sambient

Postby Sambient » 23 Oct 2013, 03:07

And Louisiana Music Factory is a great place for those of us who like listening stations that might actually turn us on to something that will be a treasured part of the collection for years to come.

Nolamike

Postby Nolamike » 19 Nov 2013, 00:00

Excellent! We'll definitely still be here then. How late in April? Jazz Fest starts the final weekend, and is a GREAT outdoor festival with aover a dozen stages (few of which actually have jazz; it's a mixture of big-name groups and local acts). French Quarter Fest is a little earlier in the month, that's only local acts, but it's free, and the stages are just set up all over the Quarter. Either way, book your hotel ASAP!
Sir John Coan wrote:Nolamike is speaking nothing but sense here.

Loki wrote:Mike is Hookfinger's shill.

kath
Groovy Queen of the Cosmos

Postby kath » 19 Nov 2013, 00:44

what are the actual dates, dude? yeahyeahyeah, i am notorious for missin jollyups in my hometown, but ya never know. stranger things have indeed happened. mind ya, i can't think of any right this very now, but i know they *have* happened.

eelpie62
carpetbagger

Postby eelpie62 » 22 Nov 2013, 01:27

Looks like it's going to be April 26 through May 3, saturday to saturday.
Our only real plans are hit some of the food we're seeing on Top Chef right now, the WWII museum, swamps, anti-bellum mansions and a drive across the big long bridge. We did none of those things last time we were in town (2002) and want to make up for it this time.
Good news about the jazz fest unless it'll make finding a room and getting around a problem. We're not dead set on that week, can't do the middle of the month but could do earlier, first week or even some time in may.
It'd great to see both of you guys. Some of my inlaws might be coming down from B-ham so there might be a possibility of a ride for you, Kath.
We'll probably only have a car for a day or two, I don't see a reason to rent one and pay to park it for a whole week when there are only a couple of trips on our agenda that would require one. Plus, if anyone from the little lady's family come down they'll have a car.
Advise on best weather in that ball park of time and let me know if the jazz fest would cause more trouble than worth.
Otherwise hope to see you then.
"Nuts"

Nolamike

Postby Nolamike » 22 Nov 2013, 04:59

Excellent! First off, the weather - it'll basically be like summer-lite. Pack summer clothing, and you should be fine. There's no risk of chilly temps, even at night, during that time.

You can get by without a car, depending on where you'd like to go. I can give you a bunch of recs of things close to the bus or streetcar.

As for Jazzfest, here's the link. I usually find a day with one or two big name acts I want to see, and then just focus on the food and the gospel tent (seriously amazing) with forays to the other stages. It'snkid-friendly as well, if that matters.

I'd book a room sooner rather than later. Lemme know if you need recs.

eelpie62
carpetbagger

Postby eelpie62 » 27 Nov 2013, 05:47

As enticing as the jazz fest is I think we might book the week March 29 to April 5. That (with luck) will increase our odds of a decent hotel near or in the quarter and I'm sure we'll find some decent music even w/o the fest.
We've had a fair-ish windfall so we don't have to stay in the same rat trap as last time (can't remember the name, it was on the very outside edge of the French quarter as far from the river as you and get on Canal, Armstrong Park was right across the street. It did the job but was a little sketchy. If we can do better than that for under $100 a night we'll be OK. Please let me know if you've got any ideas, but I have to admit that if you wanted to stay for a week in Tacoma or Seattle I'd have a hard time helping you with that. We'll use priceline if we don't hear any suggestions.
"Nuts"

Nolamike

Postby Nolamike » 27 Nov 2013, 14:38

That should be a good time to come. It will be warm, but you might need a light jacket in case we have a cold front come through.

There are a few events going on then - e.g., Hogs for the Cause, a bbq cookoff for charity, with a bunch of local chefs (including some that probably showed up on the New Orleans edition of Top Chef) trying out their barbecue skills. Your ticket gets you a ton of food, and two stages of music (a mix of local acts and some slightly bigger national acts). That's on the 28th and 29th of March, so you might not be able to make it, but if you can, it's definitely worth it.

The second weekend is Freret Street Festival, a pretty low key thing with several stages of music (last year, the Wild Magnolias played, and they have a whole stage of New Orleans brass bands).

It also looks like the 5th will be a good time to leave - the calendar shows that April 6 is Wrestlemania XXX at the Superdome, and from what I understand, it's a pretty huge event, that will bring lots of people in from out of town.

As far as hotels, the place folks have stayed at for the Jolly-Ups should meet your criteria. I think their price should be right around what you're looking for, they're walking distance to the Quarter, and it's an overall clean, nice place.

eelpie62
carpetbagger

Postby eelpie62 » 21 Dec 2013, 17:38

Sorry to keep doing this, family obligations now make May 10-17 the most likely time in city. The added benefit here is that this puts my birthday right in the middle of the week we'd be there.
"Nuts"

Nolamike

Postby Nolamike » 21 Dec 2013, 19:48

Excellent! That should be good in terms of getting a hotel - there should be loads of availability, since Jazz fest will have ended the prior week.

Nolamike

Postby Nolamike » 21 Dec 2013, 19:56

You might also be able to catch Bayou Boogaloo, a free music festival on the scenic banks of Bayou St. John. http://m.thebayouboogaloo.com

never/ever

Postby never/ever » 21 Dec 2013, 23:36

I'm thinking about getting to NO myself and was thinking about going there in the weekend of 5-6 April (been to Wrestlemania this year, it is huge) and I relish the idea of checking out the jazz festival....so now I'm contemplating to get to NO at the back end of my scheduled trip (Miami on April 7, then fly to Brazil and get back to Oz via the States taking in a few city visits, was thinking NO and SF this stage).
kath wrote:i do not wanna buy the world a fucquin gotdamn coke.

Nolamike

Postby Nolamike » 22 Dec 2013, 01:05

Excellent! I'll be here. Jazz Fest is last weekend of April, and first weekend of May.

never/ever

Postby never/ever » 22 Dec 2013, 01:09

Looking at it now...I want to combine it with Austin Psych Fest.....

Nolamike

Postby Nolamike » 07 Feb 2014, 19:38

never/ever wrote:I'm thinking about getting to NO myself and was thinking about going there in the weekend of 5-6 April (been to Wrestlemania this year, it is huge) and I relish the idea of checking out the jazz festival....so now I'm contemplating to get to NO at the back end of my scheduled trip (Miami on April 7, then fly to Brazil and get back to Oz via the States taking in a few city visits, was thinking NO and SF this stage).

The following weekend - April 10-13 - is French Quarter Fest, which is a huge and free festival with a ton of stages around the Quarter. This year they're bringing back Dr. John, Irma Thomas, and a ton of other classic New Orleans acts.

never/ever

Postby never/ever » 07 Feb 2014, 21:04

Man, that sounds great!
Unfortunately I'm floating around on a ship from Miami to Mexico and Honduras with Jon K. and a bunch of bands.

Nolamike

Postby Nolamike » 07 Feb 2014, 21:08

never/ever wrote:Man, that sounds great!
Unfortunately I'm floating around on a ship from Miami to Mexico and Honduras with Jon K. and a bunch of bands.

Ah, rats. Oh well!

Return to “Footy Ups”