10th BCBirthday Party! (all welcome)

Events people say they're coming to until a day or so before the event.
Your Friendly Neighbourhood Postman

Re: 10th BCBirthday Party (UK Branch)

Postby Your Friendly Neighbourhood Postman » 15 Feb 2012, 11:00

brotherlouie wrote:So, we're talking about this Peak District venue for a possible BCBirthday Bash in 2013. These things need booking.

Who, in principle, would be interested in attending a weekend of jollity somewhere in the middle of England (though not necessarily at the venue being discussed elsewhere)?

Assume that you won't get much change out of £150 each. And would your partner be interested. Also, discuss any nonsense like would you want a band? A rehearsal room with equipment?

Wonderful idea! I'm all for it.
On the whole, I'd rather be in Wallenpaupack.

The Modernist

Postby The Modernist » 16 Feb 2012, 09:17

I think we need more discussion on this.
People are signing up but aren't putting any input into what we're actually going to do.

KeithPratt
Arsehole all Erect

Postby KeithPratt » 16 Feb 2012, 12:06

Yes. I'm up for it at the Mermaid - as I've said previously, I did quite a lot of research into large venues for my hag weekend last year and this came out top by far. It is a little remote but I think that's the real charm of the place - plus it's big enough for those staying there to have some proper privacy if they want - the walls are made of stone so you don't hear the next room snoring.

Personally I think a proper celebration would be a lot better if it was just us rather than having a section in a pub or whatnot - it adds to the occasion.

It can hold more than 36 quite comfortably (for a proper drinking session from midday to midnight I'd say it could hold at least 60) but only 36 can sleep there. Taxis to Leek or Buxton take about 15 minutes, so perhaps some people who are coming from a fair distance might want to stay there or whatever if the Mermaid was full up.

It is also reasonably located in terms of distance for everyone in the UK I think.

The Modernist

Postby The Modernist » 16 Feb 2012, 12:16

You do make a good case for it Toby and no one has put up any alternative suggestions yet ( I had an idea for a boat trip which may be fun -but I haven't looked into the detail yet). I'd like to see some more opinions though before we settle on one idea.

Some practical questions about The Mermaid.

- How would we get all the booze and food up there to last a day and into the early hours?
- How much per head would it it be?
In the light of the last question, presumably we would have different prices for those staying the night to those just visiting for the JU?

dang65

Postby dang65 » 16 Feb 2012, 12:29

TopCat G wrote:Some practical questions about The Mermaid.

- How would we get all the booze and food up there to last a day and into the early hours?

You could get Tesco to drop a truck load off if you wanted.

n.b. Although the Mermaid is remote and in a stunning location, it's not so remote that you couldn't get a cabbie to come and take someone in to Leek to get extra supplies if they were needed.

I drove past the Mermaid this morning on the way to work and the fog was so thick that when I got to the blue sign outside the pub (see picture), I couldn't see the actual building.

The Modernist

Postby The Modernist » 16 Feb 2012, 12:41

Okay then it's doable from the food and booze angle, although this would still require an extra layer of organisition. As I say, hopefully people will start giving their views so we get a clearer idea of what people actually want from the 10th birthday bash.

Ray K.

Postby Ray K. » 16 Feb 2012, 12:48

Mrs. K and are planning a two week France/England trip sometime in 2013 for our 10th wedding anniversary - something like this would be an added bonus I think.

Limpin' Jez McKenzie
Poptastic

Postby Limpin' Jez McKenzie » 16 Feb 2012, 16:48

Ray K. wrote:Mrs. K and are planning a two week France/England trip sometime in 2013 for our 10th wedding anniversary - something like this would be an added bonus I think.

Make sure you let us know exactly when you are coming - we can catch up.
I kept thinking "swim as far as you can, swim as far as you can".

KeithPratt
Arsehole all Erect

Postby KeithPratt » 17 Feb 2012, 17:00

TopCat G wrote:Some practical questions about The Mermaid.

- How much per head would it it be?
In the light of the last question, presumably we would have different prices for those staying the night to those just visiting for the JU?

The prices will depend on when we book it, but at the height of the season in July or August it will be around £4500 in total to hire. If 36 people sleep there, then it is £122 each for 3 nights in total. In off-peak it is considerably cheaper altogether, but the price per person at 36 is just under £95. The venue need a 25% deposit upfront to book the weekend followed by the remainder of the payment 10 weeks before.

When we hired it, we arranged for food and booze to be delivered there from supermarkets. You can also hire in caterers to cook for you if you wish.

The only money to be charged would be people staying at the Mermaid. Others would have to find their own alternative accomodation if it's booked up and others want to attend.

Buxton looks to be good - http://www.peakdistrictonline.co.uk/hol ... -c957.html

dang65

Postby dang65 » 28 Feb 2012, 11:05

If The Mermaid idea takes off, I recommend booking the last Friday of the month because the next pub along (about 2.5 miles across the moor) has a Rock Night that day at which the 1970s come fully back to life (apart from the price of the beer). Free live band in the bar, crammed full of long-hairs, some kind of Rock disco in the big room next door, open till the wee hours (well, 1 a.m. anyway). And the pub (The Winking Man) has its own minibus which you can book (or just walk back might be nice in the Summer - it's along the same road as The Mermaid, along Morridge Top - just don't watch An American Werewolf In London first).

Last edited by dang65 on 28 Feb 2012, 14:40, edited 2 times in total.

dang65

Postby dang65 » 28 Feb 2012, 11:11

Oh, and I just noticed they've got camper van hook ups in the pub car park. Old school. :lol:

Polishgirl

Postby Polishgirl » 28 Feb 2012, 13:05

dang65 wrote:If The Mermaid idea takes off, I recommend booking the last Friday of the month because the next pub along (about 2.5 miles across the moor) has a Rock Night that day at which the 1970s come fully back to life (apart from the price of the beer). Free live band in the bar, crammed full of long-hairs, some kind of Rock disco in the big room next door, open till the wee hours (well, 1 a.m. anyway). And the pub (The Winking Man) has its own minibus which you can book (or just walk back might be nice in the Summer - it's along the same road as The Mermaid, along Morridge Top - just don't watch An American Werewolf In London first).

I have to admit, that sounds fucking ace
echolalia wrote: I despise Prefab Sprout. It will be decades before “hot dog, jumping frog, Albuquerque” is surpassed as the most terrible lyric in pop history. That fucking bastard ruined all three things for me forever.

dang65

Postby dang65 » 28 Feb 2012, 14:43

Polishgirl wrote:I have to admit, that sounds fucking ace

I changed the picture to make it even better. That's The Mermaid with the road to The Winking Man behind it. That would make a great walk on a moonlit night, completely pissed. You have to be careful going past The Mermaid's Pool though.

Polishgirl

Postby Polishgirl » 28 Feb 2012, 14:58

dang65 wrote: You have to be careful going past The Mermaid's Pool though.

OH MY GOODNESS :shock:

I think I'd bring my cossie, just in case. (Mind you, I don't think a mermaid could be quite as scary as the disembodied hairy hands that frequent the roads round Dartmoor Prison...)

It does look very beautiful, and I imagine would indeed be the perfect venue for a raucous get together.
echolalia wrote: I despise Prefab Sprout. It will be decades before “hot dog, jumping frog, Albuquerque” is surpassed as the most terrible lyric in pop history. That fucking bastard ruined all three things for me forever.

Arthur Crud

Postby Arthur Crud » 21 Mar 2012, 09:27

This doesn't have to be UK Branch only does it? I'd love to attend but don't want to be a wanker (outside of my ownonanism)

KeithPratt
Arsehole all Erect

Postby KeithPratt » 21 Mar 2012, 13:17

Of course not. Everyone is invited.

The Prof
Trading coffee in Abyssinia

Postby The Prof » 21 Mar 2012, 14:10

C*** LONDON wrote:Of course. Not everyone is invited.

:(

Arthur Crud

Postby Arthur Crud » 07 Aug 2012, 01:06

So when are we talking? September 2013? Yes? :D

kath
Groovy Queen of the Cosmos

Postby kath » 07 Aug 2012, 23:22

i gotta admit... i'm thinkin about this.

oh don't fucquin look at me that way. i'm serious. and yes, bringin up the fact that i've missed two new orleans jollyups is hereby deemed irrelevant. i can think about it if i wanna. i been wantin to get back to the UK since my last trip, twenty years ago. i'd hafta line up all manner of crap, not the least of which is the moolah, but depending on when exactly this is happening, i might could pull it off.

... or is this just for fucquin brit bastards? well, ray and his weef aren't brits.

Corporate whore
Genuine and Authorised Pope

Postby Corporate whore » 08 Aug 2012, 07:53

We are in, liking the Mermaid idea.

On the beer front, we could buy a barrel and split the costs between the ale drinkers (or 2 barrels ).

I would suggest that August is a bad choice because it is family holiday season, but otherwise am good to go!

Return to “Footy Ups”