10th BCBirthday Party! (all welcome)

Events people say they're coming to until a day or so before the event.
Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Re: 10th BCBirthday Party! (all welcome)

Postby Minnie the Minx » 24 Sep 2012, 22:12

We would love to come to this, but it's dependent on many factors, most of them financial! We can't commit to booking as we simply don't know what we will be doing, but I suppose it is not completely impossible that that would not rule us out coming to visit if we plan a UK visit at the same time.
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Flower wrote:I just did a google search.

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 27 Sep 2012, 21:01

Well I fucking killed that thread!
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Flower wrote:I just did a google search.

kath
Groovy Queen of the Cosmos

Postby kath » 27 Sep 2012, 23:15

Minnie the Minx wrote:Well I fucking killed that thread!

no, ya didn't. here, let me kill it for yew.

Minnie the Minx wrote:We would love to come to this, but it's dependent on many factors, most of them financial! We can't commit to booking as we simply don't know what we will be doing, but I suppose it is not completely impossible that that would not rule us out coming to visit if we plan a UK visit at the same time.

this is moi, pretty much. i am seriously wanting to attend. i am seriously wanting to go to victoria, BC in july, as well. when i say "seriously", i mean seriously seriously.

i won't sign up this far in advance. things always seem to happen to me, despite my best-hatched plans. i would like things to quit happening to me for awhile. i also would like to take a trip just for me, myself and i... something i haven't done in so long, i'm starting to think i imagined it all. of course, i whine, but the point remains: i need to do these things, and if it takes me stickin a coupla pins in my calendar to make the point, to myself or to anyone else, then i will. however, it would still be silly for me to take a room, when there are so many locals within what i consider tricycle distance who are high-probability attendees.

i was actually entertaining the notion of hittin the UK around that weekend for awhile, maybe renting some sorta recreational vehicle from the airport. i like driving there, i like being in control of what freaky roads i travel down, etc. last time i went, i rented a car for two weeks and drove all over the place. i have no idea how much one of those damn things would cost to rent, but it might be less than a room + regular travel costs sans-rental, i dunno. i also have no clue whether they require you to have some sorta special license to be able to drive one of those things. i would imagine it's like everywhere else: if yer willing to put up all yer viable, transplantable organs as a cash-equivalent deposit, they don't care what kinda license you have.

if i do make it there, i will have already figured out sumthin, so a stuffed mermaid won't be the primary issyew. like y'all, money's gonna be more of a prob for me than anything else. the second prob: and i aint goin off on this right now, as so far, it has only caused trouble... i would be going solo. this apparently causes everyone in my world to throw conniption fits, all for different reasons. mwhahaHA.

now watch this thread be properly killt. ya.

Neil Jung
Watcher Of The Skies

Postby Neil Jung » 03 Oct 2012, 16:25

kath wrote:
Minnie the Minx wrote:Well I fucking killed that thread!

no, ya didn't. here, let me kill it for yew.

Minnie the Minx wrote:We would love to come to this, but it's dependent on many factors, most of them financial! We can't commit to booking as we simply don't know what we will be doing, but I suppose it is not completely impossible that that would not rule us out coming to visit if we plan a UK visit at the same time.

this is moi, pretty much. i am seriously wanting to attend. i am seriously wanting to go to victoria, BC in july, as well. when i say "seriously", i mean seriously seriously.

i won't sign up this far in advance. things always seem to happen to me, despite my best-hatched plans. i would like things to quit happening to me for awhile. i also would like to take a trip just for me, myself and i... something i haven't done in so long, i'm starting to think i imagined it all. of course, i whine, but the point remains: i need to do these things, and if it takes me stickin a coupla pins in my calendar to make the point, to myself or to anyone else, then i will. however, it would still be silly for me to take a room, when there are so many locals within what i consider tricycle distance who are high-probability attendees.

i was actually entertaining the notion of hittin the UK around that weekend for awhile, maybe renting some sorta recreational vehicle from the airport. i like driving there, i like being in control of what freaky roads i travel down, etc. last time i went, i rented a car for two weeks and drove all over the place. i have no idea how much one of those damn things would cost to rent, but it might be less than a room + regular travel costs sans-rental, i dunno. i also have no clue whether they require you to have some sorta special license to be able to drive one of those things. i would imagine it's like everywhere else: if yer willing to put up all yer viable, transplantable organs as a cash-equivalent deposit, they don't care what kinda license you have.

if i do make it there, i will have already figured out sumthin, so a stuffed mermaid won't be the primary issyew. like y'all, money's gonna be more of a prob for me than anything else. the second prob: and i aint goin off on this right now, as so far, it has only caused trouble... i would be going solo. this apparently causes everyone in my world to throw conniption fits, all for different reasons. mwhahaHA.

I very much doubt that Heathrow or Gatwick are the best places to hire a recreational vehicle (or motor home as I think we call them). I doubt you even can get one there. You probably want a VW Camper Van thing or similar - there are lots of places that will rent one to you for an exorbitant amount. Just google "VW Camper Van hire UK". With a bit of notice I'd be happy to meet you from the airport and take you to your van. :D
[indistinct chatter]

kath

Postby kath » 04 Oct 2012, 01:22

Neil Jung wrote:I very much doubt that Heathrow or Gatwick are the best places to hire a recreational vehicle (or motor home as I think we call them). I doubt you even can get one there. You probably want a VW Camper Van thing or similar - there are lots of places that will rent one to you for an exorbitant amount. Just google "VW Camper Van hire UK". With a bit of notice I'd be happy to meet you from the airport and take you to your van. :D

yer hired. mwhaha.

thanks for the offer and the info. i know to expect a camper van rental to be exorbitant, at least. nuthin any of those people could say would surprise me. i've rented vehicles in many, many different places. how much it costs in the whole picture, with everything weighed, is what matters. i will look into it more extensively later. i need to get to work NOW on acquiring more monies of a free and spendable nature, or else all this is academic. right now, i've got enough to be flown about one half of the way across the atlantic before some flight attendant pitches me out of the cargo hatch.

dang65

Postby dang65 » 04 Oct 2012, 09:54

We hired a camper van a couple of years ago from a place close to Manchester airport. I remember it being a bit expensive, but it can't have been too bad because I'm a terrible tightwad and still went for it.

And the advantage of coming via Manchester airport instead of one of the London ones is that you're only a few miles from the kind of countryside you'd actually want to drive around in a camper van, rather than having to go 200 miles up the motorway first.

Found the place we went through: http://www.northwesterncaravans.co.uk/motorhome-hire

Neil Jung
Watcher Of The Skies

Postby Neil Jung » 04 Oct 2012, 12:15

dang65 wrote:We hired a camper van a couple of years ago from a place close to Manchester airport. I remember it being a bit expensive, but it can't have been too bad because I'm a terrible tightwad and still went for it.

And the advantage of coming via Manchester airport instead of one of the London ones is that you're only a few miles from the kind of countryside you'd actually want to drive around in a camper van, rather than having to go 200 miles up the motorway first.

Found the place we went through: http://www.northwesterncaravans.co.uk/motorhome-hire

I forgot Manchester has an airport and it would make sense to fly to there if the party is in the North as is likely. In which case I'd have to withdraw my offer as I'm a couple of hundred miles away, unless I decide to attend the party!
[indistinct chatter]

Corporate whore
Genuine and Authorised Pope

Postby Corporate whore » 05 Oct 2012, 12:39

Manchester Airport we can cover......

kath

Postby kath » 06 Oct 2012, 17:38

dang65 wrote:And the advantage of coming via Manchester airport instead of one of the London ones is that you're only a few miles from the kind of countryside you'd actually want to drive around in a camper van, rather than having to go 200 miles up the motorway first.

kickass point, kickassedly made. while i do have a hard time coming to terms with skippin london if i'm goin UKward~~it just feels so wrong, so very wrong~~driving around london in a camper van aint exactly the greatest idea in the history of great ideas. i am the road queen, but even i had issyews in a rental car driving busy city streets for the first time, with everything reversed. and the first roundabout freaked my ass out. it took me ten minutes to get off of the damn thing. i just kept goin around and around and around, thinkin to myself, do these people not get the concept of an offramp? it was a tad disorienting, especially as a starter course. i adapted eventually, though. i did great once i was out of the city. well, i didn't kill anybody for that entire two weeks, so it could've been worse.

i guess it depends on how long i'm gonna be there overall and how much ground i wanna cover. but it certainly makes sense to take manchester and thereabouts as my ground zero. however far i may venture (and 200 miles aint nuthin much to me in normal vehicular time, although camper time is abnormally slower, of course), i think that if making the mermaid is the primary point, it makes sense to build whatever else around it, ya know? and if that's the case, then i can probably safely say this: yer fired, mr. jung. thanks anyway.

coho (and witchypoo)... y'all are hired.

p.s. i tried the link, but i got some kinda error message. maybe i pissed off its spam filter somehow.

dang65

Postby dang65 » 06 Oct 2012, 18:31

Ah, link seems to have got truncated.

http://www.northwesterncaravans.co.uk/m ... e-hire.php

Six String

Postby Six String » 08 Oct 2012, 04:58

We've had a discussion over dinner and it's official.

We're Coming!

Yes we are. I'm going to put in for a month of vacation and we're going to do a grand tour split equally between England, Scotland and Ireland. I need to visit the home country before I'm buried and gone and now is as good as any. The money and my health will only dwindle the longer I wait so it's a must that I do it now while I still can.
Everything is broken
B. Dylan

Six String

Re: 10th BCBirthday Party (UK Branch)

Postby Six String » 08 Oct 2012, 05:02

1. bhoywonder
2. brotherlouie
3. rocky bronzino
4. Bleep
5. Six String and the Ms.
6. the masked man
7 & 8 Prof & Nancy (not that one)
9. Joe Baxter
10. Modernist
11. Arthur Crud
12. C. Whore esq
13. Madamme Witchypoo

It will be sad to not have John there but we'll be in town long enough to hook up if he wants to so do what you need to Slider but we'll be there.
Everything is broken
B. Dylan

Nolamike

Postby Nolamike » 11 Oct 2012, 15:53

kath wrote:

[gentle threat] Can I just state that if you make it to this, after missing the two NOLA jolly-ups that are practically right down the street from ya, there's a chance that you might - and I'm not saying this will happen, just that it somehow, mysteriously, might - suddenly find your mailbox bombarded with Bachman Turner Overdrive LPs and merchandise. [/gentle threat]

;)
Sir John Coan wrote:Nolamike is speaking nothing but sense here.

Loki wrote:Mike is Hookfinger's shill.

KeithPratt
Arsehole all Erect

Postby KeithPratt » 12 Oct 2012, 14:58

Not wishing to rain on anyone's parade with this, but IF September 2013 is a realistic date for this to happen, then I will need a 25% deposit to secure the venue, with the rest coming later. In my experience the venue's availability goes very quickly by January so you'll need to confirm soon.

That's around £1000. Now, if 10 people can pay the full amount (it will be about £140 each for the weekend depending on the numbers) that's great - but otherwise we'll need to start getting bigger numbers for this to be a realistic thing.

The Modernist

Postby The Modernist » 12 Oct 2012, 18:50

I've made it a global announcement. It may help generate greater interest.

Six String

Postby Six String » 12 Oct 2012, 20:30

Bleep wrote:Not wishing to rain on anyone's parade with this, but IF September 2013 is a realistic date for this to happen, then I will need a 25% deposit to secure the venue, with the rest coming later. In my experience the venue's availability goes very quickly by January so you'll need to confirm soon.

That's around £1000. Now, if 10 people can pay the full amount (it will be about £140 each for the weekend depending on the numbers) that's great - but otherwise we'll need to start getting bigger numbers for this to be a realistic thing.

I'll be ready to pony up the money whenever it's needed. One of the reasons I've already begun working on getting the time off at work and it looks very positive at this moment, is I am very serious about finally coming over to meet a bunch of you and to create a vacation centered around visiting my familial heritage. So far my broadstroke plans are to spend approximately 5 days each in England, Scotland and Ireland. If this JU falls apart I'm still coming over as I feel like it may be one of my last golden chances to take a trip abroad.
Everything is broken
B. Dylan

copehead
BCB Cup Stalinist

Postby copehead » 12 Oct 2012, 21:49

Six String wrote:
Bleep wrote:Not wishing to rain on anyone's parade with this, but IF September 2013 is a realistic date for this to happen, then I will need a 25% deposit to secure the venue, with the rest coming later. In my experience the venue's availability goes very quickly by January so you'll need to confirm soon.

I'll be ready to pony up the money whenever it's needed. One of the reasons I've already begun working on getting the time off at work and it looks very positive at this moment, is I am very serious about finally coming over to meet a bunch of you and to create a vacation centered around visiting my familial heritage. So far my broadstroke plans are to spend approximately 5 days each in England, Scotland and Ireland. If this JU falls apart I'm still coming over as I feel like it may be one of my last golden chances to take a trip abroad.

What has Wales done to upset you, besides the Manic Street Preachers

and Tom Jones

And Mary Hopkin

And the Stereophonics

Aaah forget it
Dancing in the streets of Hyannis

Bear baiting & dog fights a speciality.

Six String

Postby Six String » 13 Oct 2012, 00:12

Actually Wales is in the running as well but my family heritage is Irish and Scottish so that's why they got a mention along with England. I'm in the very early stage of planning so I don't know much yet including whether I'm renting a car or taking public transport. How I travel through these countries will have a lot to do with how much ground I'll be able to cover not to mention how many days I'll actually be traveling though it will be somewhere around 17 or 18 days.
Didn't mean to slight the fine people of Wales. ;)
Everything is broken
B. Dylan

copehead
BCB Cup Stalinist

Postby copehead » 13 Oct 2012, 00:20

Wales forgives you

In fact you can get the best of Wales by driving through the mountains to get to the Holyhead ferry to sail to Dublin and kill 2 birds with one stone.

A couple of days in Snowdonia looking at the mountains and the mighty medieval castles is probably all you need

An itinerary including a day in Snowdonia, a morning in Caernarvon Castle and an afternoon walk on Llandwyn beach with the back drop of Snowdonia and Llyn before getting an evening fast catamaran ferry to Dublin is probably all you need.
Dancing in the streets of Hyannis

Bear baiting & dog fights a speciality.

kath

Postby kath » 13 Oct 2012, 22:13

Nolamike wrote:
kath wrote:

[gentle threat] Can I just state that if you make it to this, after missing the two NOLA jolly-ups that are practically right down the street from ya, there's a chance that you might - and I'm not saying this will happen, just that it somehow, mysteriously, might - suddenly find your mailbox bombarded with Bachman Turner Overdrive LPs and merchandise. [/gentle threat]

;)

ya know what? i thought beezie was the only kath-attention-hoover-upright. i was wrong. what i need to do is hit town without lettin chi chi know about it. i aint kiddin here. god, i know it sounds bad. i dew. but y'all don't understand.

of course, i luvv my sister. i worship my sister. i would do anything for my sister. i would fight off hordes of swampy zombies with only dental floss to protect her. BUT (yep, that butt o' mine) she is the worst at kath-attention-sucking. i swear to god. see, her job is so ridiculous, that it is fairly rare for her to get two or three days off in a row. once she does, that's the time i'm sposed to go visit the homestead... when she's off the clock and ready to socialize.

of course, that maketh sense, yes? but what it is underneath that is her, monopolizing my time, energy and attention. 99% of the time? that's fine and dandy with me, cuz she deserves it, ya know? that doesn't mean i don't see it for what it is. i haven't seen my oldest friend susan in a few years. i haven't seen any of my hardcore, ole-time friends since my ma's damn funeral. i haven't gone anywhere in town when i'm there cept where the chi wants to go, whatever she wants to do, which a good bit of the time means her spendin money on me and showering her generosity on me or reap or attila or the kindly ole man who mows the lawn or one of sam's zillions of sibs or a neighbor or a nurse at the hospital who's havin a rough time. and in whatever lame way, i've kinda sold myself to her. god, that sounds bad. i aint sayin it right. what i mean is, i feel obligated to do whatever she wants and to be at her beck and call 24/7 when she's off. i should be, and i am.

damn, this is me, conflicted. mwhahaHA.

she's the same way with vacations, ya know, which is part of the reason she aint a fan of my flyin to victoria or the UK on my own. now, reap, it's a given i will never get him to go on a trip like the ones i just mentioned. aint a fucquin chance, the stubborn bastard. we had two, count em, two (2) royal suites on that ship for the alaskan cruise, last may, and neither i nor the chi could persuade him to go. beyond outrageous. however, he can turn around and get all freaked about *my* goin to somewhere like the UK, cuz he's convinced i'm gonna get mugged or raped or muggraped or raypugged or some damn thing if i go by myself. i mean, it aint like i'm goin to some impoverished country with a record of antiyankism and/or antiwenchism. it aint like i'm goin to the bowery, ya know? we're talkin the UK. geeez.

where was i? oh yeah... chi chi... see, she acts as though her primary reason against such kathish trips is the same as reap's, and a large part of it may well be... but another part of it is that *she* aint the one runnin the trip, overseein the whole shebang, deciding the when, the where, the how... plannin out every second of every part of the trip, controlling all, especially my ass. god, i know that sounds bad. shoot me now, dammit. i should only be grateful she ever takes me anywhere, cuz if she didn't, well, i'd never have gotten to go anywhere, really.

damn. a point? i need to hit town without her knowin. that's what i need to do. my luck she'd probably catch me out at some damn restaurant and that would be my butt, forever more. okay, maybe what i need to do is hit town when she's out of town, on one of her med convention thingies for work. yeahhhh, there's a thought. i wouldn't hafta lie or cover anything up. although i can see her tryin to get furious that i managed to hit town on the one weekend she was outta town, for example...

i am such a chi wimp. god, that sounds bad...

oh, leave me alone, mike. it's complicated. my sister is in a weird place right now. i'm gonna get to you eventually, and when i do... well, be careful what ya wish for, dude.

p.s. thanks for the fixed link, dang. the prices don't seem alll THAT crazy, to me, considering. inflated, but not crazy.

p.p.s. excellent, six string... whether i get to meet you or not. mwhaha.

Return to “Footy Ups”