Results of the Top 100 favourite BCB LPs - completed

Backslapping time. Well done us. We are fantastic.
The Write Profile
2017 BCB Cup Champ

Postby The Write Profile » 10 Dec 2004, 22:15

In response to the idea that compiling a list of your favourite 21-40 records would be more interesting, than say, a general consensus top 20 favourites of all time, there was probably some truth in that. But then again, how would one work out your favourites if it was just takent from the 21-40 positions? there's a line of logic within this that doesn't really work. Actually, in Australia (I think) they have a voting system where you list your candidates in order of preference, the implication being that it gives the electoral colleges a better indication as to who are the most popular--and supposedly would curtail cynical voting in a situation where you vote for someone just to avoid a not-wanted candidate to get the majority. But then, a final result still has to be reached.

As for Revolver, it probably is my favourite Beatles LP, but I decided not to vote for it because one figured that lots of other people would do the work for me.

Re: personal top 20. Oddly, I'm playing my own choices less and less and yet a lot of releases which weren't in my 20, but in the final 100 (and from other's top 20 lists) are getting far more play. Strange that.

Post edited for spelling mistakes and such.
Last edited by The Write Profile on 11 Dec 2004, 22:19, edited 1 time in total.
It's before my time but I've been told, he never came back from Karangahape Road.

Cédric

Postby Cédric » 10 Dec 2004, 22:21

The Right Summery Profile wrote:In response to the idea that compiling a list of your favourite 21-40 records would be more interesting, than say, a general consensus top 20 favourites of all time, there was probably some truth in that. But then again, how would one work out your favourites if it was just takent from the 21-40 positions? there's a line of logic within this that doesn't really work. Actually, in Australia (I think) thry have a voting system where you list your candidates in order of preference, the implication being that it gives the electoral colleges a better indication as to who are the most popular--and supposedly would curtail cynical voting in a situation where you vote for someone just to avoid a not-wanted candidate to get the majority. But then, a general consensus has to be reached.

As for Revolver, it probably is my favourite Beatles LP, but I decided not to vote for it because one figured that lots of other people would do the work for me.

Re: personal top 20. Oddly, I'm playing my own choices less and less and yet a lot of releases which weren't in my 20, but in hte final 20 are getting far more play. Strange that.

Some magazine or newspaper (maybe The Guardian, but I'm not sure) has done that one or two years ago.They've made the alternate Top 100 : the one that doesn't include the Beatles, Dylan and the Stones, for instance. I remember that the list was interesting. Not great, because it was very predictible too (Nick Drake, Love, etc...), but interesting.

That said, you can only be satisfied with the lists when you're making them. Once you've finished or once you see the general result, it becomes frustrating again. That's probably why most of us keep on making lists. Well...
Captain Spaulding wrote:I sent my list already! It´s shit.

I´m so excited.

DougR

Postby DougR » 10 Dec 2004, 22:43

this list is a turd

Beno

Postby Beno » 10 Dec 2004, 23:27

As a relatively new member of the forum (not having ploughed through 61 pages of threads) this is the first time I have seen the list. My thoughts are that it is a very good list.

For the record (and I know this is fairly anal) I own 51 of the top 100, 51 of the top 50, 16/20, 10/10. Objectively these statisticis are pretty much in line with the magazine readers/contributors lists and the newspaper polls. Subjectively though I think the BCB list is much better - Wire, Pere Ubu, Can, Sonic Youth and MBV make an appearance and thankfully U2's appearances are limited, Queen don't appear at all and Radiohead don't make the top 10.

I agree with the points about Revolver being No.1. It's probably few people's favourite album but must be in most people's top 20. This sort of thing though always reminds me of the episode from 'Auf Wiedersehen Pet' when the hut got painted yellow due to Barry's voting system.

A bit worrying (unless I've missed it and it is a long list) is that no Go-Betweens album got a single vote. Recent threads though have eased my worries on this point though.

Penk!
Midnight to Six Man

Postby Penk! » 11 Dec 2004, 20:56

Who the fuck voted for Linkin Park?
fange wrote:One of the things i really dislike in this life is people raising their voices in German.

Penk!
Midnight to Six Man

Postby Penk! » 20 Dec 2004, 02:16

I still want to know who voted for Linkin Park.
fange wrote:One of the things i really dislike in this life is people raising their voices in German.

Sea Of Tunes

Postby Sea Of Tunes » 21 Feb 2005, 14:47

Penk wrote:I still want to know who voted for Linkin Park.

What is Linkin Park? Never heard of it, or them.

tweetybird

Postby tweetybird » 21 Feb 2005, 17:37

Your Sea Of Tunes wrote:
Penk wrote:I still want to know who voted for Linkin Park.

What is Linkin Park? Never heard of it, or them.

American Nu-Metal. Forget it.

Penk!
Midnight to Six Man

Postby Penk! » 25 Feb 2005, 16:41

Still, no one's come out and admitted voting for them yet.

Lord Emsworth

Postby Lord Emsworth » 23 Dec 2005, 13:58

Why do da critics rate Pet Sounds so highly? And why do you? It's not even the best Beach Boys album (that's "The Beach Boys Love You" fact fans).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Love_You

Lord Emsworth

Re:

Postby Lord Emsworth » 18 Nov 2011, 10:44

Clint Planet wrote:"da critics"? :?

Oh sorry. "The critics".

I spend a lot of time working with teenagers.

PS: Do I win the prize for the longest time to reply to a post? It's taken me nearly six years to respond to Clint Planet.

the masked man
Schadenfreude

Re: Results of the Top 100 favourite BCB LPs - completed

Postby the masked man » 19 Nov 2011, 13:58

Did anyone find out who voted for Linkin Park?

beenieman

Re:

Postby beenieman » 19 Nov 2011, 19:49

marios wrote:
beenieman wrote:
Jeff K wrote:I was suprised to see Horses and Psychocandy fail to make it but overall, not bad as these things go. I think I had 5 in the top 100 but three of those in the top ten.

The vote for Horses may have been split as it appears under Patti Smith at #190 and as Patti Smith Group at #225

Have we a problem here?

Possibly.

Can we resolve this now?
One night, an evil spirit held me down
I could not make one single sound
Jah told me, 'Son, use the word'
And now I'm as free as a bird

Ghost of Harry Smith

Postby Ghost of Harry Smith » 19 Nov 2011, 23:50

the masked man wrote:Did anyone find out who voted for Linkin Park?

What about the Bluetones?!

beenieman

Postby beenieman » 20 Nov 2011, 01:12

Page 11 has the full list by the way.
One night, an evil spirit held me down
I could not make one single sound
Jah told me, 'Son, use the word'
And now I'm as free as a bird

Return to “Classic Threads & Treasury of Mirth”