Supergrass Vs The Manic Street Preachers

Backslapping time. Well done us. We are fantastic.

Vote once, vote now!

Supergrass
68%
The Manic Street Preachers.
32%

Total votes: 62

copehead
BCB Cup Stalinist

Re: Supergrass Vs The Manic Street Preachers

Postby copehead » 08 Aug 2009, 06:54

Dr Modernist wrote:
K wrote::x
Anyway, Richard III is playing now - it's a fucking great track. It is everything a good rock track should be. I feel like I could climb Mount Everest at the moment, listing to this.

See that's the difference for me. You can find lots of heavy riffing in Manics tracks, but have they ever done anything as exciting as that? I don't think so.

]

Tish and tosh, what rot.

Richard III is a good song on a good album, Sun Hits the Sky is even better on the cusp of their change from novelty punk/pop to rock tedium, but the MSP have a dozen or more better songs and Supergrass' lack of imagination and ambition is deeply depressing.

A song like 4st 7lbs is more interesting, on its own, than Supergrass' entire career.

You know that is true.

Supergrass is alright (!) for people who like bland chirpy rock music, for people who value lack of ambition and never taking a risk. I imagine they attract the same sort of people who like the Stereophonics and Cast - competent, sometimes inpired, but usually dull, safety first, rock music. that is their natural peer group.

The Manics are in a different class; musically, lyrically and rocktastically they are the better band.
Moorcock, Moorcock, Michael Moorcock, you fervently moan.

Bear baiting & dog fights a speciality.

The Modernist

Postby The Modernist » 08 Aug 2009, 07:29

Copehead wrote:
Dr Modernist wrote:
K wrote::x
Anyway, Richard III is playing now - it's a fucking great track. It is everything a good rock track should be. I feel like I could climb Mount Everest at the moment, listing to this.

See that's the difference for me. You can find lots of heavy riffing in Manics tracks, but have they ever done anything as exciting as that? I don't think so.

]

Tish and tosh, what rot.

Richard III is a good song on a good album, Sun Hits the Sky is even better on the cusp of their change from novelty punk/pop to rock tedium, but the MSP have a dozen or more better songs and Supergrass' lack of imagination and ambition is deeply depressing.

A song like 4st 7lbs is more interesting, on its own, than Supergrass' entire career.

You know that is true.

I most certainly do not!
Because something has serious content you seem to believe that automatically makes it worthier in some way -nonsense!
What I prize in the best of Supergrass, a natural and exhuberant melodic touch, a winning spontaneity, are precisely the qualities TMSP so often lack. Instead things like the track you mention are the musical equivalent of a dour and humourless Welsh presbytarian preacher - doom mongering, laborious and no fun at all.
Anyway, I've said about all I can on this issue.

The Red Heifer
Fucking Crackers

Postby The Red Heifer » 08 Aug 2009, 07:44

Everyone in this thread is either giving the MSP too much credit or not enough. They're not as great as Copehead claims, but they're certainly not as bad as the usual suspects feel :D
Wadesmith wrote:Why is it that when there's a 'What do you think of this?' post, it's always absolute cobblers?

Leg of lamb
Jane Austen enthusiast

Postby Leg of lamb » 08 Aug 2009, 14:28

Dr Modernist wrote:
Copehead wrote:
Dr Modernist wrote:See that's the difference for me. You can find lots of heavy riffing in Manics tracks, but have they ever done anything as exciting as that? I don't think so.

Tish and tosh, what rot.

You know that is true.

I most certainly do not!
Because something has serious content you seem to believe that automatically makes it worthier in some way -nonsense!
What I prize in the best of Supergrass, a natural and exhuberant melodic touch, a winning spontaneity, are precisely the qualities TMSP so often lack. Instead things like the track you mention are the musical equivalent of a dour and humourless Welsh presbytarian preacher - doom mongering, laborious and no fun at all.

'4st 7lb' is better than anything I've heard from Supergrass. Not because it's worthier or weightier, but because it's vital and I've heard nothing else like it.
Brother Spoon wrote:I would probably enjoy this record more if it came to me in a brown paper bag filled with manure, instead of this richly illustrated disgrace to my eyes.

copehead
BCB Cup Stalinist

Postby copehead » 08 Aug 2009, 16:28

Leg of lamb wrote:
Dr Modernist wrote:I most certainly do not!

'4st 7lb' is better than anything I've heard from Supergrass. Not because it's worthier or weightier, but because it's vital and I've heard nothing else like it.

Word.

It is a rarity for bands to be inventive either lyrically or musically in the pop business, when people make the effort they should be cherised.

In fact you should all be getting down on your knees and worshipping a band who can make as song as vital, visceral, disturbing and thought provoking as 4st 7lbs.

That's an interesting question; has any rock band been both musically and lyrically inventive and adventurous?

Later period Beatles, Roxy Music, David Bowie, VU, Smiths ( how musically inventive were they?)

Songs about taking drugs and driving cars have their place but sometimes you want something that stimulates the grey matter and the ROCK hemisphere of the brain.

Well I do anyway.

yomptepi
BCB thumbscrew of Justice

Postby yomptepi » 08 Aug 2009, 16:32

Copehead wrote:
Leg of lamb wrote:
Dr Modernist wrote:I most certainly do not!

Word.

It is a rarity for bands to be inventive either lyrically or musically in the pop business, when people make the effort they should be cherised.

In fact you should all be getting down on your knees and worshipping a band who can make as song as vital, visceral, disturbing and thought provoking as 4st 7lbs.

That's an interesting question; has any rock band been both musically and lyrically inventive and adventurous?

Later period Beatles, Roxy Music, David Bowie, VU, Smiths ( how musically inventive were they?)

Songs about taking drugs and driving cars have their place but sometimes you want something that stimulates the grey matter and the ROCK hemisphere of the brain.

Well I do anyway.

Leg of Lamb is Welsh. Of course he prefers the Manics. It is his national duty to do so. No matter how bombastic, naive and stupid they are. They made one great record, the Holy Bible...which is all but unlistenable. The rest is horrible AOR dumbness, with the words written by a deluded fourth former. Only a welshman could like them.
You don't like me...do you?

the masked man
Schadenfreude

Postby the masked man » 08 Aug 2009, 16:49

The Red Heifer wrote:Everyone in this thread is either giving the MSP too much credit or not enough. They're not as great as Copehead claims, but they're certainly not as bad as the usual suspects feel :D

Well, yes, of course. But improbable hyperbole is what makes this thread so compulsive!

Count Machuki
BCB Cup Champion 2013

Postby Count Machuki » 08 Aug 2009, 17:49

the masked man wrote:...improbable hyperbole is what makes this thread the greatest single discussion in the history of BCB!!!

I couldn't agree more, dammit!!!!
Let U be the set of all united sets, K be the set of the kids and D be the set of things divided.
Then it follows that ∀ k ∈ K: K ∈ U ⇒ k ∉ D

Corporate whore
Genuine and Authorised Pope

Postby Corporate whore » 09 Aug 2009, 00:24

Bloody hell - 13 pages!

Both champions league bands, the manics have had the best highs, but I voted Supergrass because;

a) Of the two they are the better live act
b) Of the two, they are the ones I would like to have a night on the tiles with.

king feeb
He's the consultant of swing

Postby king feeb » 09 Aug 2009, 00:31

Count Machuki wrote:
the masked man wrote:...improbable hyperbole is what makes this thread the greatest single discussion in the history of BCB!!!

I couldn't agree more, dammit!!!!

No it's all bloody rubbish, and I have the mathematical formulae to prove it!
You'd pay big bucks to know what you really think.

River Man
Beyond Help

Postby River Man » 09 Aug 2009, 11:46

Supergrass's debut is fantastic and deserves the praise but I must admit although I've not heard all the albums I find their singles collection to be evenly divided between brilliance and crap. Not so the Manics Forever Delayed collection and unlike most here I don't rate Holy Bible (rarely feel the need to play it) but still love This is my Truth, Tell Me yours, Lifeblood and Send away the Tigers. If these are AOR then I'm an AOR convert.
BCB fop

yomptepi

Postby yomptepi » 09 Aug 2009, 11:49

River Man wrote:Supergrass's debut is fantastic and deserves the praise but I must admit although I've not heard all the albums I find their singles collection to be evenly divided between brilliance and crap. Not so the Manics Forever Delayed collection and unlike most here I don't rate Holy Bible (rarely feel the need to play it) but still love This is my Truth, Tell Me yours, Lifeblood and Send away the Tigers. If these are AOR then I'm an AOR convert.

* feins shock *

:roll:

River Man
Beyond Help

Postby River Man » 09 Aug 2009, 12:07

yomptepi wrote:
River Man wrote:Supergrass's debut is fantastic and deserves the praise but I must admit although I've not heard all the albums I find their singles collection to be evenly divided between brilliance and crap. Not so the Manics Forever Delayed collection and unlike most here I don't rate Holy Bible (rarely feel the need to play it) but still love This is my Truth, Tell Me yours, Lifeblood and Send away the Tigers. If these are AOR then I'm an AOR convert.

* feins shock *

:roll:

It must come as quite a blow. :D
BCB fop

copehead
BCB Cup Stalinist

Postby copehead » 09 Aug 2009, 12:15

You an' me Riv, you an' me.

And Leg of Lamb and 15 others of course.

I have to say that The Holy Bible is the album of theirs I listen to least, I admire it more than I love it. But it is a useful tool with which to beat Supergrass fans as it shits all over most of their work and it is critically aclaimed so the BCB snobrockers find it hard to criticise it. Even Yompy has to make the claim that it is a great record before roundly condemning the rest of their, far more listenable, catalogue.

Bungo the Mungo

Postby Bungo the Mungo » 09 Aug 2009, 17:14

Copehead wrote:I have to say that The Holy Bible is the album of theirs I listen to least, I admire it more than I love it

useful tool

it is critically aclaimed

It sounds as dull as dishwater. Music for pseuds if ever there was.

yomptepi

Postby yomptepi » 09 Aug 2009, 17:48

Sir John Coan wrote:

It is a visceral and distressing set. Certainly not easy listening. The only reason it isn't a classic album is because, as always, the singing is shit.

Magilla
Otago Mago

Postby Magilla » 09 Aug 2009, 22:25

Superarse are mediocre twaddle, about as original and and exciting as those toss-wads Ocean Colour Scene. They are boring, dull, bland.

The Manics, well, they're not exactly trailblazers either, but there's a degree of danger and urgency to their music that Suparse simply don't have.
"U2 routinely spent a year in the studio...I have a theory: if you put four monkeys in the studio for a year with Lanois and Eno and Lillywhite, they would make a pretty good record, too."

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 09 Aug 2009, 22:42

I tried to listen to the Manics once, and three chords in the blistering self of how impressed they were with themselves permeated through to my bones which all fragmented in horror and I have been left with a limp ever since.

Now this thread needs to go to classic threads, where blood can be spilt and wisdom teeth spat out majestically and heroically without getting inbetween 'playing now' and 'what the fuck is wrong with my ipod' threads.

Sooopergrass foweva
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Flower wrote:I just did a google search.

The Red Heifer
Fucking Crackers

Postby The Red Heifer » 10 Aug 2009, 01:17

yomptepi wrote:
Sir John Coan wrote:

It is a visceral and distressing set. Certainly not easy listening. The only reason it isn't a classic album is because, as always, the singing is shit.

The singing is probably the weakest part of the album. I do love it, but as you just said, it's something you don't listen to everyday.
Wadesmith wrote:Why is it that when there's a 'What do you think of this?' post, it's always absolute cobblers?

copehead
BCB Cup Stalinist

Postby copehead » 10 Aug 2009, 05:32

Sir John Coan wrote:[

As someone who doesn't get Unknown Pleasures I think we can safely ignore your "input" on difficult and distressing music, especially seeing as you don't even appear to have heard the album in question.

Return to “Classic Threads & Treasury of Mirth”