Supergrass Vs The Manic Street Preachers

Backslapping time. Well done us. We are fantastic.

Vote once, vote now!

Supergrass
68%
The Manic Street Preachers.
32%

Total votes: 62

Geezee

Re: Supergrass Vs The Manic Street Preachers

Postby Geezee » 07 Aug 2009, 14:05

Heilan Coo wrote:
G-Z wrote:
Heilan Coo wrote:Do you think in years to come, people are going to look back and think that East 17 were one of the greatest boy-bands of all time?

to be fair i think they will, and should, no? if you look at the contenders - surely they don't look out of place among Westlife, Boyzone, Take That, N*Sync, New Kids, Another Level, 911, A1, Jonas Brothers, McFly, Busted, 98 degrees, Five, Blue...?

I'll admit I picked East 17 as I didn't want to admit to knowing any other boy-bands.

Whereas you...... :shock: ;)

:D very underrated branch of popular music, from Beatles through the Monkees and Jackson 5 to the peak of Backstreet Boys...
Smilies are ON
Flash is OFF
Url is ON

Heilan Coo
The Communist Charles Hawtrey

Postby Heilan Coo » 07 Aug 2009, 14:09

G-Z wrote: :D very underrated branch of popular music, from Beatles through the Monkees and Jackson 5 to the peak of Backstreet Boys...

:lol:

Playing. With. Fire.
savoirfaire wrote:They are extremely cuddly, to the point where I think I was literally molested by a few of them. I completely understand how the farmer-goat relationships must happen.

copehead
BCB Cup Stalinist

Postby copehead » 07 Aug 2009, 14:22

Heilan Coo wrote:But they do mean dick, really! Do you think in years to come, people are going to look back and think that East 17 were one of the greatest boy-bands of all time, judging by how many records they shifted? Will they bollocks. If they've got any sense, they'll remember them as a half-arsed "bad-boy" alternative to nice, squeaky-clean, take-'em-home-for-tea Take That.

But trying to compare the relative merits of E17 and Take That might chart placing not actually be a good starting point at trying to work out their relative merits?

I mean you wouldn't want to listen to the records would you, so looking att he relative chart histories seems like a pretty good way of making a value judgement.

In the end, all chart placings come down to is who managed to sell a certain amount of records in one week.

Well worked out, that had been bothering me.

If you place any importance in length of time spent at #1, then that would mean that Bryan Adams' "Everything I Do" is up there with the entire run of #1s by The Rolling Stones. Is it hell.

[/quote]

I haven't even considered length of time at position yet.

It would be stupid to compare one Bryan Admas song against the recording history of the Rolling Stones, but if you compare bryan Adams' chart history against the Rolling Stones' it is pretty obvious who is the better band.

It's Summer of '69 which swings it his way obviously.

Sorry, but come on, a hit automatically means a high placing.

No it doesn't. Technically it means somewhere inthe top 40.

Next time you go into a record store, have a look and see if you can a find a sticker on an album that says "Includes the #37 hit....."

What liek teh Supergrass Greatest "hits" album ?

I'm sorry, mate but I just don't agree with your whole chart theory.

They laughed at Einstein.

Popular doesn't mean better and doesn't make me a music snob.

We're all music snobs heer admit it.

I'm just saying when comparing apples with apples perhaps most popular is the best.

At least it gives you a objective answer rather than a subjective one. I like that.

Music's such a uniquely personal thing to everyone that any attempt to add formula or cold hard stats as to why people might prefer one band to another is just barmy.

true, but I'm not going to let a small thing like that stop me.

Just because carrots outsell parsnips in Tesco one week doesn't mean that they're universally loved by the nation as a whole.

But who doesn't think carrots are better than parsnips? If parsnips were any good they'd outsell carrots, they don't, carrots are obviously better.

You're wasting your time with this one, Cope! I don't think there's one person on here who would think it's a sensible theory.

well there is one :lol:

There is a reason that the Manics have had more chart success than Supergrass. I'd hazard a guess it is because they are a more popular band, and I'd say they are more popular because they are objectively better at what they do.

See? there is method to the madness.

Oh, and for the record, this music snob likes both the Manics and Supergrass equally
[/quote]

I would have said I did at the start of the thread but now I realise I was wrong, I listen to the manics at least every week, I probably go weeks without listening to Supergrass, so I have come to teh conclusion that I like teh Manics more and have voted that way.

I do like Supergrasses early stuff but they have become a tedious bore, I have only found 1 manics album tedious - This is My truth - and that was their biggest hit album :) , but I can even find a few songs on their I like - are You Stole the Sun and Tsunami on that one? they are top tunes. Every other album has, as I keep saying, at least 4-5 great tunes on it. I swear.
Last edited by copehead on 07 Aug 2009, 14:48, edited 1 time in total.
Moorcock, Moorcock, Michael Moorcock, you fervently moan.

Bear baiting & dog fights a speciality.

copehead
BCB Cup Stalinist

Postby copehead » 07 Aug 2009, 14:29

The Prof wrote:
Copehead wrote:
Dr Modernist wrote:Perhaps we should try applying the Theory of Schrodinger's Cat to the question so we can get a definitive answer?

Are you saying that until directly measured with a chart placing a record technically doesn't exist and yet exists at all possible chart placings as well?

This could be revolutionary, I don't know whether it is lunacy or genius.

I think it means that the Manics are both dead and alive at the same time.

You mean Richey Edwards is both dead and alive until he bobs to the surface of the Severn?
Moorcock, Moorcock, Michael Moorcock, you fervently moan.

Bear baiting & dog fights a speciality.

Billybob Dylan
Bonehead

Postby Billybob Dylan » 07 Aug 2009, 14:33

Copehead wrote:
Dr Modernist wrote:Perhaps we should try applying the Theory of Schrodinger's Cat to the question so we can get a definitive answer?

Are you saying that until directly measured with a chart placing a record technically doesn't exist and yet exists at all possible chart placings as well?

This could be revolutionary, I don't know whether it is lunacy or genius.

No, he means Ritchie Edwards is simultaneously both alive & dead.
"I've been reduced to thruppence!"

The Prof
Trading coffee in Abyssinia

Postby The Prof » 07 Aug 2009, 14:34

Billybob Dylan wrote:

Do keep up! :)

The Modernist

Postby The Modernist » 07 Aug 2009, 14:36

Billybob Dylan wrote:No, he means Ritchie Edwards is simultaneously both alive & dead.

4 real.

Billybob Dylan
Bonehead

Postby Billybob Dylan » 07 Aug 2009, 14:44

The Prof wrote:
Billybob Dylan wrote:

Sorry! I posted before reading page 12. I was rendered temporarily insane by hearing "Ice Ice Baby" on the radio.

Billybob Dylan
Bonehead

Postby Billybob Dylan » 07 Aug 2009, 14:47

Copehead wrote:If we do it my way I win, seems fair to me.

Oh, completely.

K

Postby K » 07 Aug 2009, 14:55

I can't ever see myself willingly listening to the Manics at any point in my life. I just don't get the point. Whereas Supergrass' Richard III is the next song that's going to play on my mp3 player right now.

Geezee

Postby Geezee » 07 Aug 2009, 15:02

K wrote:I can't ever see myself willingly listening to the Manics at any point in my life. I just don't get the point. Whereas Supergrass' Richard III is the next song that's going to play on my mp3 player right now.

Great - why don't you pop back here after your snooze... ;)
Smilies are ON
Flash is OFF
Url is ON

K

Postby K » 07 Aug 2009, 15:03

:x
Anyway, Richard III is playing now - it's a fucking great track. It is everything a good rock track should be. I feel like I could climb Mount Everest at the moment, listing to this.

Bungo the Mungo

Postby Bungo the Mungo » 07 Aug 2009, 15:05

K wrote::x
Anyway, Richard III is playing now - it's a fucking great track. It is everything a good rock track should be. I feel like I could climb Mount Everest at the moment, listing to this.

But it's 'dad rock'!

K

Postby K » 07 Aug 2009, 15:09

Sir John Coan wrote:

But it's 'dad rock'!

Well, I am visiting my Dad tomorrow.
But he likes Northern Soul. :?

Count Machuki
BCB Cup Champion 2013

Postby Count Machuki » 07 Aug 2009, 15:11

Balboa wrote:Hey this thread has had way more life in it than most these days! Good to see!

It is good to see! I've read the whole thing even though, as an American, both bands are equally meaningless to me. And my pop charts. And my theoretical cat.

;)
Let U be the set of all united sets, K be the set of the kids and D be the set of things divided.
Then it follows that ∀ k ∈ K: K ∈ U ⇒ k ∉ D

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 07 Aug 2009, 15:18

I think this track sums up the brilliance of Supergrass. Just fantastic. Especially from 1.51 onwards!
Griff wrote:The notion that Jeremy Corbyn, a lifelong vocal proponent of antisemitism, would stand in front of an antisemitic mural and commend it is utterly preposterous.

Copehead wrote:a right wing cretin like Berger....bleating about racism

The Modernist

Postby The Modernist » 07 Aug 2009, 15:45

See that's the difference for me. You can find lots of heavy riffing in Manics tracks, but have they ever done anything as exciting as that? I don't think so.

I'm also a big fan of this song..

The Prof
Trading coffee in Abyssinia

Postby The Prof » 07 Aug 2009, 16:01

Billybob Dylan wrote:
The Prof wrote:
Billybob Dylan wrote:

Sorry! I posted before reading page 12. I was rendered temporarily insane by hearing "Ice Ice Baby" on the radio.

Ice Ice Baby? a number 1 hit single both in the UK an US. Therefore - better than Supergrass

Geezee

Postby Geezee » 07 Aug 2009, 16:53

The Prof wrote:
Billybob Dylan wrote:
The Prof wrote:Do keep up! :)

Ice Ice Baby? a number 1 hit single both in the UK an US. Therefore - better than Supergrass

"It's funny 'cause it's truueee"
Smilies are ON
Flash is OFF
Url is ON

Heilan Coo
The Communist Charles Hawtrey

Postby Heilan Coo » 07 Aug 2009, 17:35

Copehead wrote:
Heilan Coo wrote:In the end, all chart placings come down to is who managed to sell a certain amount of records in one week.

Well worked out, that had been bothering me.

Glad to be of service. I'm here 24 hours a day, 7 days a week for all your Gallup queries.

I'm sorry, mate but I just don't agree with your whole chart theory.

They laughed at Einstein.

Aye, but at least he was right about some things. :wink:

Music's such a uniquely personal thing to everyone that any attempt to add formula or cold hard stats as to why people might prefer one band to another is just barmy.

true, but I'm not going to let a small thing like that stop me.

:lol:
savoirfaire wrote:They are extremely cuddly, to the point where I think I was literally molested by a few of them. I completely understand how the farmer-goat relationships must happen.

Return to “Classic Threads & Treasury of Mirth”