Other people's misconceptions about your kind of music.

Backslapping time. Well done us. We are fantastic.

Re: Other people's misconceptions about your kind of music.

Postby Guest » 10 Mar 2004, 22:45

beenieman wrote:
cheepniz wrote:
névèrknows wrote:
cheepniz wrote:
beenieman wrote:
névèrknows wrote:
beenieman wrote:
névèrknows wrote:
Anywhere. Run. Now. No, you don't have time to pack your record collection.

I hope I'm never in a situation like this without at least two weeks notice.

You don't live in a home where they call Aretha shrieky?

No. I feel quite safe actually.

But we know where you live....

beenieman, if this freak gets near play a jazz record and you'll be OK.

Then you had better have a lot of jazz records playing in the next couple of months, Fred....

Freak?

Oi!

Where'd you get my picture!?!?

beenieman

Postby beenieman » 10 Mar 2004, 22:47

cheepniz wrote:
beenieman wrote:
cheepniz wrote:
névèrknows wrote:
cheepniz wrote:
beenieman wrote:
névèrknows wrote:
beenieman wrote:
névèrknows wrote:

Then you had better have a lot of jazz records playing in the next couple of months, Fred....

Freak?

Oi!

Your Home Page:

Postby Guest » 10 Mar 2004, 22:48

beenieman wrote:
cheepniz wrote:
beenieman wrote:
cheepniz wrote:
névèrknows wrote:
cheepniz wrote:
beenieman wrote:
névèrknows wrote:
beenieman wrote:
névèrknows wrote:

Freak?

Oi!

Your Home Page:

They spelled my name wrong!

Postby Guest » 10 Mar 2004, 23:32

névèrknows wrote:
cheepniz wrote: Then you had better have a lot of jazz records playing in the next couple of months, Fred

Art Tatum is on right now...
Weren't you supposed to send me your touring schedule for that Bolivian accordeonist you're working with?

Hang on, mate--I did.

Didn't you get it?

Check the PMs....

Sambient

Postby Sambient » 11 Mar 2004, 00:01

That it's all that depressing stuff.

Snowdog
Real Doyen
Location: Sitting at the back, looking cool but feeling all alone.

Postby Snowdog » 11 Mar 2004, 00:47

Hi I'm prog boy. Apparently.
"Elements of the past & future, combining to make something not quite as good as either."

River Man
Beyond Help

Postby River Man » 11 Mar 2004, 08:59

névèrknows wrote:Oh, and the main misconceptions I have heard along the years were:
-They weren't very good in the beginning, eh?
-They weren't very good live, eh?
-Their drummer couldn't really play, could he?
-It was all thanks to their producer anyway.

Also the 'you'll get tired of them someday', I remember one of my brothers starting that in 1983...

All credit to you for sticking with Duran Duran for as long as you have.
BCB fop

Carl's Son
Grade A Shitpipe

Postby Carl's Son » 12 Mar 2004, 11:14

River Man wrote:
I know what you mean, I've not listened to any Beatles whatsoever since yesterday. Once you've got a reputation it's hard to shake it.

Yesterday? and that was 1964!
I can just about handle you driving like a pissed up crackhead and treating women like beanbags but I'm gonna say this once and once only Gene, stay out of Camberwick Green!

www.chrischopping.virb.com

http://thatidiotchrischopping.blogspot.com

Carl's Son
Grade A Shitpipe

Postby Carl's Son » 12 Mar 2004, 11:34

jh
I can just about handle you driving like a pissed up crackhead and treating women like beanbags but I'm gonna say this once and once only Gene, stay out of Camberwick Green!

www.chrischopping.virb.com

http://thatidiotchrischopping.blogspot.com

Leg of lamb
Jane Austen enthusiast

Postby Leg of lamb » 12 Mar 2004, 15:43

Usually girls in my school shrieking "OMG! [ok, so they don't actually say "O-M-G" but it seems appropriate] You like Missy Elliot/Outkast/The Streets/any-sort-of-remotely-modern-music-that-isn't-the-RedHotChiliPeppers as well?! I thought you only liked old stuff like The Beatles ..."

But then I start babbling on about how innovative and exciting the production is and they think I'm a fool all over again.
Brother Spoon wrote:I would probably enjoy this record more if it came to me in a brown paper bag filled with manure, instead of this richly illustrated disgrace to my eyes.

Owen
definitely not Travolta

Postby Owen » 12 Mar 2004, 16:11

Leg of lamb wrote:Usually girls in my school shrieking "OMG! [ok, so they don't actually say "O-M-G" but it seems appropriate] You like Missy Elliot/Outkast/The Streets/any-sort-of-remotely-modern-music-that-isn't-the-RedHotChiliPeppers as well?! I thought you only liked old stuff like The Beatles ..."

But then I start babbling on about how innovative and exciting the production is and they think I'm a fool all over again.

Great post

I know it doesn't apply to Lamb but this and the thread in general, brought to mind the Paul Morley quote about teenage girls having far better taste in pop music than Middle aged men. I guess liking the right stuff but for techy production related reasons is the teenage boys middle ground.

el gringo mysterioso

Postby el gringo mysterioso » 12 Mar 2004, 16:29

Kind of an extreme example...my old man grew up in the American south (Virginia) and his favorite music was soul music. He used to listen to Wilson Pickett and Otis Redding and Motown when all of his mates were on Marty Robbins and Buck Owens.

His friends used to call his music "S.N." music...which stands for "Screaming N!&&@R" music.

Nice, right? Joke's on them...my Dad kept the faith, and ended up partying with the Temptations at University, while his friends were already working at the DuPont factory. :wink:
Last edited by el gringo mysterioso on 12 Mar 2004, 16:43, edited 1 time in total.

Leg of lamb
Jane Austen enthusiast

Postby Leg of lamb » 12 Mar 2004, 16:34

Owen wrote:I know it doesn't apply to Lamb but this and the thread in general, brought to mind the Paul Morley quote about teenage girls having far better taste in pop music than Middle aged men. I guess liking the right stuff but for techy production related reasons is the teenage boys middle ground.

Heh heh that's not too far off the mark actually. God bless Timbaland ...

I wouldn't be too generous to most teenage girls though. Finding a Missy Elliot to bond over is seriously a needle in a haystack of Lemars.
Brother Spoon wrote:I would probably enjoy this record more if it came to me in a brown paper bag filled with manure, instead of this richly illustrated disgrace to my eyes.

Owen
definitely not Travolta

Postby Owen » 12 Mar 2004, 16:43

Leg of lamb wrote:I wouldn't be too generous to most teenage girls though. Finding a Missy Elliot to bond over is seriously a needle in a haystack of Lemars.

No I know, I teach them after all. Like most things Morley says it's probably bollocks but it sounds good.

Postby Guest » 12 Mar 2004, 17:10

El Gringo Mysterioso wrote:Kind of an extreme example...my old man grew up in the American south (Virginia) and his favorite music was soul music. He used to listen to Wilson Pickett and Otis Redding and Motown when all of his mates were on Marty Robbins and Buck Owens.

His friends used to call his music "S.N." music...which stands for "Screaming N!&&@R" music.

Nice, right? Joke's on them...my Dad kept the faith, and ended up partying with the Temptations at University, while his friends were already working at the DuPont factory. :wink:

A perfect story.

Cheers for sharing.

souphound
World Class Ignoramus

Postby souphound » 12 Mar 2004, 17:13

Haven't read through this thread at all so....

Most everyone thinks Leonard Cohen's material is "music to slash your wrists by".

I disagree. It's full of humor, love, lust, adventure, and yes, regret. They can go slash their wrists to whatever they like. But they'll be misconceiving if they use LC as backdrop IMHO.
Footy wrote:Last week, I discovered that the cordless drill I bought about 5 years ago is, in fact, a cordless screwdiver.

moot.

Postby moot. » 12 Mar 2004, 18:50

Generally I get 3 different criticisms, from different groups.

The "Normals" (you know, people who buy Dave Mathews records) tend to think what I like is "too weird" or "too arty".

The "Board", I assume, tend to have a misconception that I have little to no historical perspective to go along with my tastes.

The "Scenesters", tend to think what I listen to is sell-out art-rock with no balls. If it's not coming out of broken amps in someone's basement in Lakewood by a band called As I Die Tonight they don't want to hear it, and it's probably made by sell-outs.
"IIIIIIIII'MMMM SIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIICK!!!!!!!!! I HAVE A HEADACHE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" - Pissed Jeans

Phil T

Postby Phil T » 12 Mar 2004, 19:30

moot. wrote:Generally I get 3 different criticisms, from different groups.

The "Normals" (you know, people who buy Dave Mathews records) tend to think what I like is "too weird" or "too arty".

No. The 'normals' are people who buy Dido/George Michael/Robbie Williams/Craig bloody David etc. 'Normals' will never have even of heard of Dave Matthews and if they did would consider him too"weird". That's how boring they are.

But otherwise, yes, I understand exactly what you mean.

moot.

Postby moot. » 12 Mar 2004, 19:32

Phil Tonner wrote:
moot. wrote:Generally I get 3 different criticisms, from different groups.

No. The 'normals' are people who buy Dido/George Michael/Robbie Williams/Craig bloody David etc. 'Normals' will never have even of heard of Dave Matthews and if they did would consider him too"weird". That's how boring they are.

But otherwise, yes, I understand exactly what you mean.

Well, this might just be an American thing then...Dave Mathews is about as big as it gets here...especially among people my age (16-24). But yeah, all the people you mentioned fall into that musical category as well.
"IIIIIIIII'MMMM SIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIICK!!!!!!!!! I HAVE A HEADACHE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" - Pissed Jeans

Silent Bob

Postby Silent Bob » 12 Mar 2004, 20:12

My family all deem my music to be weird, whatever it is.

This may have something to do with putting Bummed by Happy Mondays on my Christmas list one year for my sister to buy for me.

Mind you, I deem their stuff bland :roll:
Last edited by Silent Bob on 12 Mar 2004, 21:05, edited 1 time in total.
The picture you see is no portrait of me

Return to “Classic Threads & Treasury of Mirth”