Other people's misconceptions about your kind of music.

Backslapping time. Well done us. We are fantastic.

Postby Guest » 12 Mar 2004, 20:13

Phil Tonner wrote:
moot. wrote:Generally I get 3 different criticisms, from different groups.

The "Normals" (you know, people who buy Dave Mathews records) tend to think what I like is "too weird" or "too arty".

No. The 'normals' are people who buy Dido/George Michael/Robbie Williams/Craig bloody David etc. 'Normals' will never have even of heard of Dave Matthews and if they did would consider him too"weird". That's how boring they are.

But otherwise, yes, I understand exactly what you mean.

I felt the same sort of way. Comments like those coming from Dave Matthews' fans don't seem right.

They probably wouldn't even talk to you, Moot.

king feeb
He's the consultant of swing

Postby king feeb » 12 Mar 2004, 20:18

moot. wrote:The "Scenesters", tend to think what I listen to is sell-out art-rock with no balls. If it's not coming out of broken amps in someone's basement in Lakewood by a band called As I Die Tonight they don't want to hear it, and it's probably made by sell-outs.

This is hilarious. I think my band must've shared bills with hundreds of bands of this ilk.

As for misconceptions about my music, many of the board members seem to think Amon Duul II isn't any good... (ducks in anticipation of flying bottles and impending flame war)
You'd pay big bucks to know what you really think.

Postby Guest » 12 Mar 2004, 20:20

Silent Bob wrote:My family all deem my music to be weird, whatever it is.

This may have something to do with putting Bummer by Happy Mondays on my Christmas list one year for my sister to buy for me.

Mind you, I deem their stuff bland :roll:

A funny story about my ex-fiancee. The writing on the wall was becoming clearer by the day (of course, we were 21 and really starting to become our own people, I changed-he didn't). I was driving to some sorta date thing and started to play Ministry's Psalm 69 in the car on the way. He hadn't known that I was even starting to get into this (because of new friends and whatnot), and the next morning I got the ax- it was good because I didn't want to be the fall guy.

Since that time, I've really only been on the same page with the friends I made during that time regarding music.

The Red Heifer
Fucking Crackers

Postby The Red Heifer » 13 Mar 2004, 06:40

The whole "Your music must really suck otherwise it would be on the radio, Brendan" thing I get quite regularly, but that's off my friends. My mum's used to my whole thing, she seemed to be enjoying Guided By Voices earlier today, and my girlfriendis an Elvis Costello freak as well. Mainly my friends, who don't recognise music unless it has a chart placing of 50 or higher think me music is weird and unpopular. Fools.
Wadesmith wrote:Why is it that when there's a 'What do you think of this?' post, it's always absolute cobblers?

The Write Profile
2017 BCB Cup Champ

Postby The Write Profile » 11 Jun 2004, 03:00

I'm bumping this thread because I don't want to see it die...Alison, you owe me one

Just to further the questions, has anyone raised eyebrows when you profess to like something that isn't really pigeon-holed as your sort of thing?

For instance, for some reason it surprised me when Bhoywonder made that great post on Simon & Garfunkel a few months back...I didn't really pick him as a fan (maybe due to his loathing of Belle and Sebastian, perhaps?) but it was a well-made post.

Also, it was quite odd when I discovered a friend of mine, who doesn't really pay that much attention to purchasing music at all was a fan of Al Green, and Otis Redding, especially considering most of his collection would be best described as "grunge" (STP, Pearl Jam etc)

Carry on...
It's before my time but I've been told, he never came back from Karangahape Road.

moot.

Re: Other people's misconceptions about your kind of music.

Postby moot. » 11 Jun 2004, 04:08

Charming Ali wrote: (Aretha Franklin is known as "that awful shrieky woman" in this house, would you believe?)

Sounds about right to me.
"IIIIIIIII'MMMM SIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIICK!!!!!!!!! I HAVE A HEADACHE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" - Pissed Jeans

mentalist (slight return)
under mi sensi

Postby mentalist (slight return) » 11 Jun 2004, 04:12

moot. wrote:
Charming Ali wrote: (Aretha Franklin is known as "that awful shrieky woman" in this house, would you believe?)

I'm glad you said that moot. :)
king of the divan

beenieman

Postby beenieman » 11 Jun 2004, 04:15

mentalist wrote:
moot. wrote:

I'm glad you said that moot. :)

They used to do this to people who made such comments:

bhoywonder
The Magnificent

Postby bhoywonder » 11 Jun 2004, 09:33

The Right Scarfie Profile wrote:I'm bumping this thread because I don't want to see it die...Alison, you owe me one

Just to further the questions, has anyone raised eyebrows when you profess to like something that isn't really pigeon-holed as your sort of thing?

For instance, for some reason it surprised me when Bhoywonder made that great post on Simon & Garfunkel a few months back...I didn't really pick him as a fan (maybe due to his loathing of Belle and Sebastian, perhaps?) but it was a well-made post.

Also, it was quite odd when I discovered a friend of mine, who doesn't really pay that much attention to purchasing music at all was a fan of Al Green, and Otis Redding, especially considering most of his collection would be best described as "grunge" (STP, Pearl Jam etc)

Carry on...

People often say things like "I didn't think you'd like that sort of thing" to me, which I always find amazing. On these boards, and in the real world, I have raved on about so many different styles, I'm genuinely surprised that someone could think I would like entire styles of music. Of course, this surprise is natural, as one tends to think that one gives a full impression of oneself as being the rounded and mature individual one is. Unfortunately, however, there are so many people who feel the need to pigeon-hole people (and I don't mean you, btw) that it's often difficult to get ones real self known beyond the stereotype. This, I think, is why you would be surprised that I love S&G (and I quite seriously love them, to the point of having all of their records on at least 3 formats) while to me it's obvious that I would love them.

I'm not sure I made myself clear there, which could also be part of the problem.

The Write Profile
2017 BCB Cup Champ

Postby The Write Profile » 11 Jun 2004, 10:12

the bhoy's a wonder wrote:
People often say things like "I didn't think you'd like that sort of thing" to me, which I always find amazing. On these boards, and in the real world, I have raved on about so many different styles, I'm genuinely surprised that someone could think I would like entire styles of music. Of course, this surprise is natural, as one tends to think that one gives a full impression of oneself as being the rounded and mature individual one is. Unfortunately, however, there are so many people who feel the need to pigeon-hole people (and I don't mean you, btw) that it's often difficult to get ones real self known beyond the stereotype. This, I think, is why you would be surprised that I love S&G (and I quite seriously love them, to the point of having all of their records on at least 3 formats) while to me it's obvious that I would love them.

I'm not sure I made myself clear there, which could also be part of the problem.

No, you did. It's funny how that happens to people, especially considering that you're a poster who I know has an admiration for several different styles, but I can't really pick the one you're most fond of perhaps that's because you don't have one?

I guess it's like that signature you have, the one cribbed from "Come Together".

Often, one can surprise themselves. The album I've played th most recently has been Nick Drake's Pink Moon. Which was odd for me, because folk songwriters aren't something I've really warmed to before. And I was afraid that the lyrical content might put me off. However, when I listen to that album, I don't notice what he's singing, more how he's singing the words. That, and his subtly dexterous finger-picking. In fact, even though his lyrics are a key part of his work, I prefer the bits where he just trills his voice and hums a note.
It's before my time but I've been told, he never came back from Karangahape Road.

Postby Guest » 11 Jun 2004, 10:20

In an arrogant way I like it when people have misconceptions about what I listen to.

Keeps 'em guessing.

River Man
Beyond Help

Postby River Man » 11 Jun 2004, 10:26

It's equally interesting when you find someone dislikes something you assumed they'd love. One of the reasons I've ribbed Bhoy about B&S is because I assumed they'd be his thing, the same goes for Bowie who I believe he's luke warm about (no?).
BCB fop

bhoywonder
The Magnificent

Postby bhoywonder » 11 Jun 2004, 10:37

The Right Scarfie Profile wrote:No, you did. It's funny how that happens to people, especially considering that you're a poster who I know has an admiration for several different styles, but I can't really pick the one you're most fond of perhaps that's because you don't have one?

I guess it's like that signature you have, the one cribbed from "Come Together".

Which in turn is sampled from Jesse Jackson's opening speech at the fantastic Wattstax concert.

Interesting question. No, I guess I don't have a particular favourite genre. Maybe soul music, but that's more of a relatively recent thing. I guess what I tend to do is constantly try to hear great music that I don't already know. This tends to involve exploring genres and periods with a mad passion and desperate need to find more and more music, the further into the style I get. Then I take breaks from this quest for more by returning to things I've already done this with. So this last year, I've almost exclusively been playing american roots stuff, loads of country, bits of jazz, rhythm and blues, gospel and folk. Then, yesterday, I played the Beatles and it was such a massive change it reminded me of when I was passionately devouring as much Beatles stuff as I could find.

I think the problem (if that's the right word) is when people stop doing this and stick to what they feel safe with. People who say 'I don't like reggae/jazz/hip hop/new music/whatever', to me at least, are being very narrow. this is where you end up with people like some of the beatles fans I've met who have no filters, they simply love everything. It's possible, if you avoid listening to anything else, to end up enjoying Ringo's solo albums, it really is. It's possible because the records exist, for that person, without any contextual reference, other than other Ringo records. So one can say that Ringo is a better album than Ringo the 4th, which it is, but not realise that, in the context of music as a whole, they are both irrelevant. There's nothing wrong with liking shit, we all have little self-indulgences, but, to me anyway, you have to know it's shit. Otherwise you've lost.

bhoywonder
The Magnificent

Postby bhoywonder » 11 Jun 2004, 10:41

River Man wrote:It's equally interesting when you find someone dislikes something you assumed they'd love. One of the reasons I've ribbed Bhoy about B&S is because I assumed they'd be his thing, the same goes for Bowie who I believe he's luke warm about (no?).

B&S are nothing. They are valueless. Bowie made a few great records, things like Ziggy Stardust and Hunky Dory are among the best 3 or 4 hundred records of the early 70s. But he never had anything like consistency. He made, maybe, 5 good albums and then 30 very average to completely awful ones. He's OK, just phenomenally over-rated, is all.

River Man
Beyond Help

Postby River Man » 11 Jun 2004, 10:48

the bhoy's a wonder wrote:Then, yesterday, I played the Beatles and it was such a massive change it reminded me of when I was passionately devouring as much Beatles stuff as I could find. .

I've recently acquired the MP3 and have been playing it on random, I urge anyone who gets this MP3 to do the same, I know the albums so well but this way really catches me off guard. Hell they were good.

the bhoy's a wonder wrote:I think the problem (if that's the right word) is when people stop doing this and stick to what they feel safe with. People who say 'I don't like reggae/jazz/hip hop/new music/whatever', to me at least, are being very narrow. this is where you end up with people like some of the beatles fans I've met who have no filters, they simply love everything. It's possible, if you avoid listening to anything else, to end up enjoying Ringo's solo albums, it really is. It's possible because the records exist, for that person, without any contextual reference, other than other Ringo records. So one can say that Ringo is a better album than Ringo the 4th, which it is, but not realise that, in the context of music as a whole, they are both irrelevant. There's nothing wrong with liking shit, we all have little self-indulgences, but, to me anyway, you have to know it's shit. Otherwise you've lost.

Beatle fans IMO come in two very rooted shapes, those with their doors opened and those with them closed. I told you I went on one of those Beatle weekends when I was younger and was almost crucified when it was discovered I was talking about Bowie! Apparently as this was a weekend specifically about the fabs I was out of order mentioning Bowie (Ironically we were discussing Young Americans which features Lennon :roll: ). Anyhow I've also known Beatle fans who through the varied music they made are the most open to new sounds. This to me makes more sense than the former. The idea that someone could like both Happiness is a Warm Gun and Here There and Everywhere and not be open to a variety of genre's is odd to me. I often wonder if some Beatles fans are into a different group than the one I rave about. :D
BCB fop

Jimbly

Postby Jimbly » 11 Jun 2004, 12:35

At work I am allowed to listen will spreadsheeting, however have to stop listening to post, cant hear if doors are opening and people approaching.

Because I have a 20g Jukebox I have a fairly wide selection of genres on this, and I sometimes get asked what are you listening to today, If I reply with S&G, Neil Diamond or Elvis for example, the reply is 'I didnt think you would like that' when I say Why?, well you like all that weird stuff, when I ask, what is weird stuff, the answer is that stuff you listen to, and the circle goes round and round.

I am with the Bhoy, you listen to music because its music, and it moves you in some way, it doesnt matter what type or who it is by, except P.Collins of course, it is what it is.

We all like brilliant stuff and we all like shite, My favourite shite is ELP, i know they are crap, and I dont care, they are a big part of my musical journey to where I am now, and will always look upon them fondly.

To sum up, I am just for that moment when music just does that thing that you cant put into words, the great chord, the killer line, the moment of calm before storm, you know what I mean..

Most people dont get this, because it doesnt matter that much to them, its their loss, and they are to be pitied for all those magical moments
So Long Kid, Take A Bow.

catboy

grateful dead have "SONGS"

Postby catboy » 11 Jun 2004, 13:32

have recently made a comp for our new keyboard player...luvly guy, who, when i mentioned my slightly obssesive relationship with the grateful dead was curious to hear them....his reply after a few nights listening to the comp was "wow...they actually have tunes, and songs and everything...."

didnt ask him what he thought they would have instead of tunes and songs...maybe its a case of a bands name creating an impression in peoples mind thats out of tune with the reality..???

BTW this is my first post......HURRAH!

River Man
Beyond Help

Re: grateful dead have "SONGS"

Postby River Man » 11 Jun 2004, 14:00

catboy wrote:have recently made a comp for our new keyboard player...luvly guy, who, when i mentioned my slightly obssesive relationship with the grateful dead was curious to hear them....his reply after a few nights listening to the comp was "wow...they actually have tunes, and songs and everything...."

didnt ask him what he thought they would have instead of tunes and songs...maybe its a case of a bands name creating an impression in peoples mind thats out of tune with the reality..???

Welcome Catboy, please don't scratch the furniture. :D
BCB fop

catboy

thank you

Postby catboy » 11 Jun 2004, 14:09

no scratching ...just leaving fag ash, upended whitelightning cans and racing posts every where...at least thats what Mrs Catboy says

bhoywonder
The Magnificent

Re: grateful dead have "SONGS"

Postby bhoywonder » 11 Jun 2004, 14:28

catboy wrote:have recently made a comp for our new keyboard player...luvly guy, who, when i mentioned my slightly obssesive relationship with the grateful dead was curious to hear them....his reply after a few nights listening to the comp was "wow...they actually have tunes, and songs and everything...."

How there catboy, likesay, ken?

Have to say, the Greatful Dead have no tunes or songs 8-)

Return to “Classic Threads & Treasury of Mirth”