Other people's misconceptions about your kind of music.

Backslapping time. Well done us. We are fantastic.
River Man
Beyond Help

Re: Other people's misconceptions about your kind of music.

Postby River Man » 10 Mar 2004, 15:43

Captain Spaulding wrote:
River Man wrote:
Captain Spaulding wrote:
Charming Ali wrote:Someone lent my mum a Sting album today, which she didn't like very much, but she told me there was one song on it which sounded like my type of thing. I was quite amused at the idea and asked her why she thought that. She replied that it is "all shrieky", because she has got it into her head that I like singers who shriek (Aretha Franklin is known as "that awful shrieky woman" in this house, would you believe?) I agreed to give it a listen, and needless to say it was dull. I couldn't think of a single reason why she might think I would enjoy it until I noticed there was a gospel choir in there, presumably added to make it sound "soulful". That must have been where she got the idea from. But it strikes me as odd that someone who lives in the same house as me could have so little idea about what I actually like.

Which song was that, Ali?

I'm guessing it was something like 'Let your soul be your pilot'.

A partlicularly poor one, that one is.

True but the single has a very nice acoustic version of Englishman in New York, oddly I won this single at a fair and would have dispossed of it long ago were the b side not so enjoyable.
BCB fop

My name is Spaulding
Pancake Expert

Postby My name is Spaulding » 10 Mar 2004, 15:49

River Man wrote:
Captain Spaulding wrote:
River Man wrote:
Captain Spaulding wrote:
Charming Ali wrote:Someone lent my mum a Sting album today, which she didn't like very much, but she told me there was one song on it which sounded like my type of thing. I was quite amused at the idea and asked her why she thought that. She replied that it is "all shrieky", because she has got it into her head that I like singers who shriek (Aretha Franklin is known as "that awful shrieky woman" in this house, would you believe?) I agreed to give it a listen, and needless to say it was dull. I couldn't think of a single reason why she might think I would enjoy it until I noticed there was a gospel choir in there, presumably added to make it sound "soulful". That must have been where she got the idea from. But it strikes me as odd that someone who lives in the same house as me could have so little idea about what I actually like.

True but the single has a very nice acoustic version of Englishman in New York, oddly I won this single at a fair and would have dispossed of it long ago were the b side not so enjoyable.

Been there, done that. One suggestion, Riv, burn that into a comp CD and get rid of the single. It´s a waste of space.
Walk In My Shadow wrote:If Spaulding buys it, I'll buy it too.

River Man
Beyond Help

Postby River Man » 10 Mar 2004, 15:55

Diamonddog wrote:I was having a conversatio with Snowdog recently where he started to talk about Led Zeppelin - I shocked him somewhat when I told him I hadn't listened to any Zep since the DVD, which was nearly a year ago !!

I know what you mean, I've not listened to any Beatles whatsoever since yesterday. Once you've got a reputation it's hard to shake it.
BCB fop

Mr Maps
a drunk in a midnight choir

Postby Mr Maps » 10 Mar 2004, 16:28

I just came back from the grocery store. I have a target pin on my jacket. The 21 year old dude at the register says "Is that a Pearl Jam pin?" and I say "No, it means Mod music.... y'know the British Invasion" and he says, "You mean like, Iron Maiden?"
nathan wrote:I realize there is a time and a place for unsexy music, but I personally have no time for it.

Django wrote: It's video clips of earnest post-rock I want, and I have little time for anything else.

19th biggest tosser on BCB

beenieman

Postby beenieman » 10 Mar 2004, 19:35

Captain Spaulding wrote:
River Man wrote:
Captain Spaulding wrote:
River Man wrote:
Captain Spaulding wrote:

Been there, done that. One suggestion, Riv, burn that into a comp CD and get rid of the single. It´s a waste of space.

SINGLES ARE A WASTE OF SPACE?

Ali
Wombat Hugger

Postby Ali » 10 Mar 2004, 21:49

River Man wrote:
Charming Ali wrote:I have nothing but disrespect for the Beatles and the Stones because they're not relevant to me. I like music that sounds exciting and fresh, whether it is 40 year old soul records or current hip-hop and r&b.

You've been around here long enough to know that you are missing something pretty impresive by not exploring these artists.

I feel like I've been told off.

Nah, it's a fair comment. That statement was a vastly oversimplified one and doesn't really describe my true feelings about those two bands. I was kind of hoping that as it was hidden away in the middle of a lengthy paragraph nobody would question me about it, because whenever I'm not really sure what I can say. It's not true that I haven't explored them, I have explored them enough to know that I quite like them but they don't excite me half as much as a lot of other music does. That may change. I'm not going to dismiss either of them completely (it would be foolish to ignore bands who came up with 'Gimme Shelter' and 'Tomorrow Never Knows' between them), but at the moment my interests lie elsewhere.

Ali
Wombat Hugger

Postby Ali » 10 Mar 2004, 21:50

River Man wrote:
Captain Spaulding wrote:

It was indeed. You obviously know the Sting back-catalogue very well.

My name is Spaulding
Pancake Expert

Postby My name is Spaulding » 10 Mar 2004, 21:51

beenieman wrote:
Captain Spaulding wrote:
River Man wrote:
Captain Spaulding wrote:
River Man wrote:
Captain Spaulding wrote:

SINGLES ARE A WASTE OF SPACE?

Crap ones are.
Walk In My Shadow wrote:If Spaulding buys it, I'll buy it too.

Ali
Wombat Hugger

Postby Ali » 10 Mar 2004, 21:52

martha wrote:

This kind of thing happens to me quite a lot, and not always from my mum (although she is the worst culprit.) Does anyone else get it?

I love this post Ali. It's perfect. Everything about it screams that it is soooooo time for you to move into your own place.

Maybe it does, but everything else in the whole world screams that I wouldn't survive a day on my own. I can't cook or anything. I'll be here for a few more years, I know I will.

Owen
definitely not Travolta

Postby Owen » 10 Mar 2004, 22:04

Charming Ali wrote: I have explored them enough to know that I quite like them but they don't excite me half as much as a lot of other music does. .

There's no reason to bank on it though, context means a hell of a lot with music, the majority of the time I hear the beatles these days it's as muzak on british gass's call waiting thing and I'd imagine a lot of careful research went into their using it. It's still great I guess but it's been neutered

Has for me anyway

Poppypoobah
Resident Hotty

Postby Poppypoobah » 10 Mar 2004, 22:23

névèrknows wrote:
Charming Ali wrote: (Aretha Franklin is known as "that awful shrieky woman" in this house, would you believe?)

No. Charming Ali you are in danger in that house. You have got to move. Tonight.
feel like she's in one of those Halloween movies and Jason is standing behind the door with his ax.... Get out of the house girl What ever you do don't look in the basement or attic!

Ali
Wombat Hugger

Postby Ali » 10 Mar 2004, 22:28

Hotsie wrote:
névèrknows wrote:
Charming Ali wrote: (Aretha Franklin is known as "that awful shrieky woman" in this house, would you believe?)

No. Charming Ali you are in danger in that house. You have got to move. Tonight.
feel like she's in one of those Halloween movies and Jason is standing behind the door with his ax.... Get out of the house girl What ever you do don't look in the basement or attic!

But where can I go? Where is safe?

Ali
Wombat Hugger

Postby Ali » 10 Mar 2004, 22:32

névèrknows wrote:
Charming Ali wrote:
Hotsie wrote:
névèrknows wrote:

Anywhere. Run. Now. No, you don't have time to pack your record collection.

I don't have much of a record collection, you know. It wouldn't take long....

At least let me bring Aretha.

beenieman

Postby beenieman » 10 Mar 2004, 22:33

névèrknows wrote:

I hope I'm never in a situation like this without at least two weeks notice.

Ali
Wombat Hugger

Postby Ali » 10 Mar 2004, 22:34

névèrknows wrote:
Charming Ali wrote:
névèrknows wrote:
Charming Ali wrote:
Hotsie wrote:
névèrknows wrote:

I don't have much of a record collection, you know. It wouldn't take long....

At least let me bring Aretha.

Noooooooooo don't look back!

*sneaks 'I Never Loved A Man....' into inside coat pocket while nobody is looking, and scarpers*

beenieman

Postby beenieman » 10 Mar 2004, 22:36

névèrknows wrote:
beenieman wrote:
névèrknows wrote:

You don't live in a home where they call Aretha shrieky?

No. I feel quite safe actually.

Postby Guest » 10 Mar 2004, 22:37

beenieman wrote:
névèrknows wrote:
beenieman wrote:
névèrknows wrote:

But we know where you live....

beenieman

Postby beenieman » 10 Mar 2004, 22:41

cheepniz wrote:
beenieman wrote:
névèrknows wrote:
beenieman wrote:
névèrknows wrote:

I'm a long way away. And there's nothing that would interest you down here.

(Thinks - except my, Joe Moody, Arthur Crud, Right Profile, Magilla & Kiwi Todd's record collections)

Postby Guest » 10 Mar 2004, 22:42

névèrknows wrote:
cheepniz wrote:
beenieman wrote:
névèrknows wrote:
beenieman wrote:
névèrknows wrote:

beenieman, if this freak gets near play a jazz record and you'll be OK.

Then you had better have a lot of jazz records playing in the next couple of months, Fred....

beenieman

Postby beenieman » 10 Mar 2004, 22:44

cheepniz wrote:
névèrknows wrote:
cheepniz wrote:
beenieman wrote:
névèrknows wrote:
beenieman wrote:
névèrknows wrote:

beenieman, if this freak gets near play a jazz record and you'll be OK.

Then you had better have a lot of jazz records playing in the next couple of months, Fred....

Freak?

Return to “Classic Threads & Treasury of Mirth”