Other people's misconceptions about your kind of music.

Backslapping time. Well done us. We are fantastic.
Ali
Wombat Hugger

Other people's misconceptions about your kind of music.

Postby Ali » 09 Mar 2004, 21:08

Someone lent my mum a Sting album today, which she didn't like very much, but she told me there was one song on it which sounded like my type of thing. I was quite amused at the idea and asked her why she thought that. She replied that it is "all shrieky", because she has got it into her head that I like singers who shriek (Aretha Franklin is known as "that awful shrieky woman" in this house, would you believe?) I agreed to give it a listen, and needless to say it was dull. I couldn't think of a single reason why she might think I would enjoy it until I noticed there was a gospel choir in there, presumably added to make it sound "soulful". That must have been where she got the idea from. But it strikes me as odd that someone who lives in the same house as me could have so little idea about what I actually like.

This kind of thing happens to me quite a lot, and not always from my mum (although she is the worst culprit.) Does anyone else get it?

Marquis de Scarborough
Not Nobility

Re: Other people's misconceptions about your kind of music.

Postby Marquis de Scarborough » 09 Mar 2004, 21:10

Charming Ali wrote:This kind of thing happens to me quite a lot, and not always from my mum (although she is the worst culprit.) Does anyone else get it?

Not musical, but I could have sworn the other day I saw someone say they thought Griff liked women....
GoatBoy wrote: Honestly, if Angelina Jolie had a Wolverhampton accent I think I’d have to restrict her to just a blow job.

Come and have a go if you think you're hard enough...

satans favourite son
vortex surfer

Postby satans favourite son » 09 Mar 2004, 21:10

Well.... One of my flatmates constantly refer to anything I listen to with some fuzzy guitar as "church-burning" music. But he is deaf in one ear and not very interested in music. It has turned into a joke by now.

Postby Guest » 09 Mar 2004, 21:10

Whenever people come over and take a look through they always ask, 'Are you gay?'.

What am I doing wrong? :cry:

Marquis de Scarborough
Not Nobility

Postby Marquis de Scarborough » 09 Mar 2004, 21:10

nathan wrote:Whenever people come over and take a look through they always ask, 'Are you gay?'.

Sleeping with men.
GoatBoy wrote: Honestly, if Angelina Jolie had a Wolverhampton accent I think I’d have to restrict her to just a blow job.

Come and have a go if you think you're hard enough...

Postby Guest » 09 Mar 2004, 21:11

Marquis De Scarborough wrote:
nathan wrote:Whenever people come over and take a look through they always ask, 'Are you gay?'.

Sleeping with men.

But you have to like it before you can be considered gay, right?

Wolfman Raph
Northern Latin Lover

Postby Wolfman Raph » 09 Mar 2004, 21:13

If I listen to vocal classical music in public (I mean, in my office), there's always somebody thinking I listen to 'religious' music...
We can't go on forever with suspicious minds

Rob From Halfords

Postby Rob From Halfords » 09 Mar 2004, 21:19

Raleigh Chopper 2004  

price   £199.99 (inc. VAT)

(Delivery extra - see our
terms and conditions of sale for details)

Every generation has its iconic products and the Chopper was the essential bike of the 70's. When those red lined tyres rolled onto our streets, cycling was never going to be the same again. And for a long time there has been a void in the style bike market... until now that is. Because for a limited time only, the big as a baby's arm holding an orange Chopper is back.|
A milestone in influence and design, the iconic Raleigh Chopper re-launches in April 2004 and retails at £199.99.

When ordering on line our website will allow you to pick a delivery date. This does not apply when ordering your raleigh chopper. We will contact you again as soon as stock is available to advise of delivery.

You're not in the Bedford area, are you? I'm on an early tomorrow and Julie's having her cards read with her mates.

Let me know.
Livin' after Homebase!

Magilla
Otago Mago

Postby Magilla » 09 Mar 2004, 21:20

Charming Ali, I've been meaning to ask you about your taste in music. You obviously really like The Smiths and Echo and the Bunnymen, which is highly commendable.
I got into them when they were happening 20 or so years ago.

But I can't figure out why you're into them, given how young you are.
I would've thought that you'd dismiss them as irrelevant music for old codgers, compared to whatever people in your age group tend to listen to.

So why are you into them? Do you have an elder sibling or friend that got you into them? How did you discover them? What is their appeal? (Sorry for all the questions).
"U2 routinely spent a year in the studio...I have a theory: if you put four monkeys in the studio for a year with Lanois and Eno and Lillywhite, they would make a pretty good record, too."

Postby Guest » 09 Mar 2004, 21:23

Rob From Halfords wrote:You're not in the Bedford area, are you? I'm on an early tomorrow and Julie's having her cards read with her mates.

Let me know.

I have to see a picture first.

sensi

Postby sensi » 09 Mar 2004, 21:42

I got a Dido CD....because it's "what people my age listen to" off the Mother-in-Law....and a Sum 41 CD off my Sister because "it's Nu Metal Bollocks" :roll:

#1..I don't like Dido and Sum 41 isn't Nu Metal (plus I like neither)
#2..these people have known me 32 years (for my Sister) and 18 years (the Witch -in-Law)

KeithPratt
Arsehole all Erect

Postby KeithPratt » 09 Mar 2004, 21:45

Most people who know fuck all about electronic music think "it's all bleeps" and that it's "not real" because it's made by computers. Fuckwits.

MP3PO

Postby MP3PO » 09 Mar 2004, 21:48

Something along the same line happened along time ago to me one Christmas.At the time I was mainly listening to west coast/east coast punk and heavy metal and talking about that kind of music to whoever would listen,my uncle being one of those people.Christmas morning rolls around presents get opened,then my uncle hands me a present which is clearly an album.I open it with the paper flying everywhere and look down and its the "Tiffany" album.I say thank you silently but I`m thinking what the fuck am I going to do with this!I never did take the record out of its jacket and everytime I came across it thumbing through my collection I just shook my head in disbelief. After having it way to long I finally gave it to a friend that said he`d like to have it.

Ali
Wombat Hugger

Postby Ali » 09 Mar 2004, 22:19

Magilla wrote:Charming Ali, I've been meaning to ask you about your taste in music. You obviously really like The Smiths and Echo and the Bunnymen, which is highly commendable.
I got into them when they were happening 20 or so years ago.

But I can't figure out why you're into them, given how young you are.
I would've thought that you'd dismiss them as irrelevant music for old codgers, compared to whatever people in your age group tend to listen to.

So why are you into them? Do you have an elder sibling or friend that got you into them? How did you discover them? What is their appeal? (Sorry for all the questions).

Why does anyone like the music they do? It's not an easy question to answer. It's just that some things appeal to you and others don't.

I must admit I find it slightly puzzling whenever people ask me why I like the music I do even though I am young. To me it doesn't seem logical to ignore music just because it's older than you are, and of course the younger you are the more limiting that is.

I probably have more in common with other people my age than you think anyway. There is certainly a lot of music which I do dismiss as "irrelevant music for old codgers"; most old rock stuff falls into that category for me. I have nothing but disrespect for the Beatles and the Stones because they're not relevant to me. I like music that sounds exciting and fresh, whether it is 40 year old soul records or current hip-hop and r&b. I'm a little bit wary of music made before the 50s, which is just prejudice and I will probably grow out of it in time, but other than that I don't pay much attention to when things were made, as long as they sound good to me.

As for how did I discover them, I discovered the two bands you mention in the same way as most other stuff that I like: I heard songs which I liked and wanted to hear more. Nobody got me into them really, it just kind of happened.

Sorry this is all a bit disjointed, I just find it difficult to explain. I hope I've answered at least some of your questions.

Ranking Ted

Postby Ranking Ted » 09 Mar 2004, 22:20

My mate Baz has called everything I've liked "jingly-jangly" since I was 17 and into the Smiths. He says this while looking liked he's smelled shit. This can include anything from Nirvana to Kraftwerk to Wu Tang. It's all "jingly-bloody-jangly".

He likes Poison, Andrew WK and Rollins. I rest my case.

Ali
Wombat Hugger

Postby Ali » 09 Mar 2004, 22:23

Just imagine AMG's description of the Wu-Tang Clan....

Genres: Rap

Styles: Hip-Hop, East Coast Rap, Hardcore Rap

Tones: Swagger, Sprawling, Hostile, Angry, Eerie, Aggressive, Thuggish, Witty, Brash, Malevolent, Playful, Paranoid, Street-Smart, Freewheeling, Ominous, Confrontational, Menacing, Harsh, Jingly-Jangly

Poppypoobah
Resident Hotty

Postby Poppypoobah » 09 Mar 2004, 22:25

I thought you ARE gay?

Postby Guest » 09 Mar 2004, 22:26

Hotsie wrote:

I thought you ARE gay?

Only on holidays and paydays.

lemon

Postby lemon » 09 Mar 2004, 22:26

I have a friend who says I like most of the music I do because I'm going through an indie kid stage.

Poppypoobah
Resident Hotty

Postby Poppypoobah » 09 Mar 2004, 22:30

nathan wrote:
Hotsie wrote:

I thought you ARE gay?

Only on holidays and paydays.
And when the fleet comes in?

Nate, I tease because I love, would you mind letting me watch? :wink:

Return to “Classic Threads & Treasury of Mirth”