Other people's misconceptions about your kind of music.

Backslapping time. Well done us. We are fantastic.
marios

Postby marios » 10 Mar 2004, 01:39

Dunno how relevant this is but once a friend of mine said this gem when he saw my latest wallpaper on my laptop (a mid 60s pic of the Stones looking all dandy in their Carnaby Street suits):

"Why the hell do you have a picture of a boyband as your wallpaper?!".

I actually had to explain who they actually were. He has since been forced to listen to Sticky Fingers and Let It Bleed and now he even likes them. Although he hates Sympathy For The Devil for some reason.

He has copied at least 50 of my CDs in the last few months yet he still thinks that about 90% of my collection is junk and that i'm a fool for spending so much money on music.

He's probably right. :wink:

User avatar
beenieman
Posts: 15400
Joined: 20 Jul 2003, 21:43

Postby beenieman » 10 Mar 2004, 01:41

subtle revolver wrote: he hates Sympathy For The Devil for some reason.



It'd be hard to determine which of the many available reasons he's chosen :)

marios

Postby marios » 10 Mar 2004, 01:44

beenieman wrote:
subtle revolver wrote: he hates Sympathy For The Devil for some reason.



It'd be hard to determine which of the many available reasons he's chosen :)


I was sure someone would quickly respond with sth along those lines. You BCBers are so predictable... MWAAAAAAAAHAHAHA!

What is it that you don't like about it? The only thing that has sort of ruined it for me are the recent remixes. They were awful. It's not even in my Top20 Stones songs but it's still a decent song.

User avatar
Spacegrrrl
Posts: 164
Joined: 07 Dec 2003, 21:40
Location: In orbit

Postby Spacegrrrl » 10 Mar 2004, 01:46

Charming Ali wrote:(Aretha Franklin is known as "that awful shrieky woman" in this house, would you believe?)


Heh, I recall my mum saying something similar about Aretha once... :roll: :lol:

Magilla wrote:Charming Ali, I've been meaning to ask you about your taste in music. You obviously really like The Smiths and Echo and the Bunnymen, which is highly commendable.
I got into them when they were happening 20 or so years ago.

But I can't figure out why you're into them, given how young you are.
I would've thought that you'd dismiss them as irrelevant music for old codgers, compared to whatever people in your age group tend to listen to.


It's not as though there aren't a lot of pointers towards decent older bands, is there? From hearing them on the radio to seeing them named as influences by more recent bands, or realising that your parents' record collection isn't as bad as you thought it was... :D I don't think that young people dismiss old music as irrelevant, in whatever genre. Do you find the Beatles or the Stones irrelevant because they weren't contemporary when you were listening to the Smiths or Echo and the Bunnymen? Surely great music transcends generation gaps.

ArcticCrapWombat wrote:
sprcndctr wrote:I have a friend who says I like most of the music I do because I'm going through an indie kid stage.


I'm 39 years old and I still have a few friends who think the same thing. 39 years old. It's no "phase"!


Hah, I knew it! I still think my friends who like nu-metal are going through a phase though... :lol:
Ain't got to where I'm going to
By hanging round with people like you

User avatar
beenieman
Posts: 15400
Joined: 20 Jul 2003, 21:43

Postby beenieman » 10 Mar 2004, 01:48

subtle revolver wrote:
beenieman wrote:
subtle revolver wrote: he hates Sympathy For The Devil for some reason.



It'd be hard to determine which of the many available reasons he's chosen :)


I was sure someone would quickly respond with sth along those lines. You BCBers are so predictable... MWAAAAAAAAHAHAHA!

What is it that you don't like about it? The only thing that has sort of ruined it for me are the recent remixes. They were awful. It's not even in my Top20 Stones songs but it's still a decent song.


It probably would be in my top 20 Stones songs. I'm just an opportunist is all :)

And a predictable one at that :(

User avatar
Spacegrrrl
Posts: 164
Joined: 07 Dec 2003, 21:40
Location: In orbit

Postby Spacegrrrl » 10 Mar 2004, 01:49

Oh yes, and the best way to avoid people who have no clue buying you presents you have no interest in - an Amazon wishlist, circulated at the appropriate juncture before Xmas/birthdays. Make it easy for them! :wink:
Ain't got to where I'm going to

By hanging round with people like you

marios

Postby marios » 10 Mar 2004, 01:53

Spacegirl wrote:Oh yes, and the best way to avoid people who have no clue buying you presents you have no interest in - an Amazon wishlist, circulated at the appropriate juncture before Xmas/birthdays. Make it easy for them! :wink:


Amazon doesn't do free shipping to Cyprus so that's not possible. Besides, it's considered a bit impolite to actually tell someone what to get you over here. You can hint, preferably a couple of weeks before the day (not any later cause then it might be too obvious), but wishlists aren't cricket around this place. Unfortunately. I did try to bring it up amongst my friends but they just looked uncomfortable or sth so i dropped it.

User avatar
starstruckbabystarstruck
Posts: 1229
Joined: 20 Jul 2003, 04:19

Postby starstruckbabystarstruck » 10 Mar 2004, 02:07

Citizen Smalls wrote:...he likes...Andrew WK... I rest my case.


Andrew WK is coolASS. I went to see him in Montreal a couple of weeks ago. Great show! Great man!

Sneelock

Postby Sneelock » 10 Mar 2004, 02:48

Charming Ali wrote:Just imagine AMG's description of the Wu-Tang Clan....

Genres: Rap

Styles: Hip-Hop, East Coast Rap, Hardcore Rap

Tones: Swagger, Sprawling, Hostile, Angry, Eerie, Aggressive, Thuggish, Witty, Brash, Malevolent, Playful, Paranoid, Street-Smart, Freewheeling, Ominous, Confrontational, Menacing, Harsh, Jingly-Jangly


I'd like to see an entire thread like this.
Please direct me at once.
thank you.

User avatar
Black Cat Bone Is Me
Posts: 2303
Joined: 18 Jan 2004, 13:25
Location: Internet

Postby Black Cat Bone Is Me » 10 Mar 2004, 04:19

My dad adviced me not to put The Velvet Underground/David Bowie down as two of my influences in an ad for musicians, cause the readers will think I'm gay. Being a paranoid 17 year old, I declined the ad....
Black Cat Bone Is Me

User avatar
The Write Profile
2017 BCB Cup Champ
Posts: 14694
Joined: 15 Sep 2003, 10:55
Location: Today, Tomorrow, Timaru
Contact:

Postby The Write Profile » 10 Mar 2004, 05:01

Great question Charming Ali. Well, It's strange in that, obviously with someone like Magilla down the road to steer me down the good path, as well as a teacher who happened to be a music journalist (he's doing a 5 part series on David Bowie shortly for BBC World Service Radio), it meant that I was exposed to a whole lot of musical genres...

As for friends, I have a couple who I share similar tastes with, both old and new, but most of the time I'm so immersed in music in general that most people outside of that enthusiasm really doesn't matter much to me. I've had raging arguments with my mate John, who I managed to get to write for the paper...we're from diametrically opposed spectrums, but there's enough middle ground to have interesting debates...that is until I start talking about Dusty in Memphis, Sly Stone etc which he dismisses as "that's crap, you're wrong"...he has a thing against Soul Music, but not at all against rap, which I guess is just a sign of changing times.

Actually, the people who I get worked up about music interest are those who should know better--namely certain Student Radio DJs who probably, own nothing which wasn't released before 5 years ago. That, and their self-concious indie snobbery. I have a deep-seated detestation of people who dismiss genres out of hand, I think it's lazy, and altogether counter-productive.

My parents are quite suppourtive of what I listen to, some of the stuff they like--my dad thinks the Super Furry Animals reminds him of Bacharach, a strange but rather appropriate description. Some of the albums I receive I do play for them, if I think it's up their street. It's strange in that my father noted that I'm probably more keen on a lot of the 60s/70s stuff than he was, although he knew about it at the time....

My brother, on the other hand detests everything I own...partly because the stereo will be on if I'm home before he is...some of the things he says make me chuckle, especially when he starts buying Nirvana and Ben harper albums I've owned since I was 14, and then claims "I've never listened to the same shit as you"...then again, he dismissed Outkast as "having no rhythm", just from listening to five seconds of one track, so he's never been one to engage in musical critique. It's not his thing.
It's before my time but I've been told, he never came back from Karangahape Road.

User avatar
Brother Spoon
Billy Crystal
Posts: 9762
Joined: 17 Jul 2003, 08:02
Location: at Yankee Stadium

Postby Brother Spoon » 10 Mar 2004, 07:13

nathan wrote:
Marquis De Scarborough wrote:
nathan wrote:Whenever people come over and take a look through they always ask, 'Are you gay?'.

What am I doing wrong? :cry:


Sleeping with men.

But you have to like it before you can be considered gay, right?


Actually you have to dance to it.

Sneelock

Postby Sneelock » 10 Mar 2004, 07:22

naked

Guest

Postby Guest » 10 Mar 2004, 08:07

I was once listening to Friggin in the Riggin in my father's study, and he walked in and told me to take that filth off and never put it on again.

A few days later, perhaps feeling contrite as I was looking rather glum, he confessed that he and his mates used to sing that song back in university, in the 40s....

User avatar
fuzzylogic235
Posts: 195
Joined: 17 Jul 2003, 16:39
Location: Trying to rescue Padre from under the floorboards
Contact:

Re: Other people's misconceptions about your kind of music.

Postby fuzzylogic235 » 10 Mar 2004, 09:33

Charming Ali wrote:Someone lent my mum a Sting album today, which she didn't like very much, but she told me there was one song on it which sounded like my type of thing. I was quite amused at the idea and asked her why she thought that. She replied that it is "all shrieky", because she has got it into her head that I like singers who shriek (Aretha Franklin is known as "that awful shrieky woman" in this house, would you believe?) I agreed to give it a listen, and needless to say it was dull. I couldn't think of a single reason why she might think I would enjoy it until I noticed there was a gospel choir in there, presumably added to make it sound "soulful". That must have been where she got the idea from. But it strikes me as odd that someone who lives in the same house as me could have so little idea about what I actually like.

This kind of thing happens to me quite a lot, and not always from my mum (although she is the worst culprit.) Does anyone else get it?


My parents stopped buying me cds years ago, now they just give me cash or a gift certificate. They never have really said anything about the music I listen to, what they usually do say is that it is better than the kitchen staff's choice in music(think nu metal shite). She wasn't very fond of Nirvana though, apparently it just sounded like noise to her. Same goes for some early Teenage Fanclub(she liked most of Grand Prix though, and Phantom Power by the Super Furry Animals).

My ex-roommate despised my music though. He called most of what I listened to "brit pop crap", for things like Teenage Fanclub, Super Furry Animals, Primal Scream and the Violent Femmes. :roll: This from someone who *likes* nu-metal. :roll: Was great fun to put on Teenage Fanclub and crank up the volume though :D
"Whos this playing then?"
"The Who"
"They sound like early Oasis."

User avatar
River Man
Beyond Help
Posts: 11813
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 20:13
Location: Nothing-ham
Contact:

Postby River Man » 10 Mar 2004, 11:58

Charming Ali wrote:I have nothing but disrespect for the Beatles and the Stones because they're not relevant to me. I like music that sounds exciting and fresh, whether it is 40 year old soul records or current hip-hop and r&b.


You've been around here long enough to know that you are missing something pretty impresive by not exploring these artists.
BCB fop

User avatar
River Man
Beyond Help
Posts: 11813
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 20:13
Location: Nothing-ham
Contact:

Re: Other people's misconceptions about your kind of music.

Postby River Man » 10 Mar 2004, 11:59

Captain Spaulding wrote:
Charming Ali wrote:Someone lent my mum a Sting album today, which she didn't like very much, but she told me there was one song on it which sounded like my type of thing. I was quite amused at the idea and asked her why she thought that. She replied that it is "all shrieky", because she has got it into her head that I like singers who shriek (Aretha Franklin is known as "that awful shrieky woman" in this house, would you believe?) I agreed to give it a listen, and needless to say it was dull. I couldn't think of a single reason why she might think I would enjoy it until I noticed there was a gospel choir in there, presumably added to make it sound "soulful". That must have been where she got the idea from. But it strikes me as odd that someone who lives in the same house as me could have so little idea about what I actually like.


Which song was that, Ali?

I'm guessing it was something like 'Let your soul be your pilot'.
BCB fop

User avatar
Sambient
Posts: 16605
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 14:56
Location: Nerdvana

Postby Sambient » 10 Mar 2004, 14:41

My mom and I both do this to each other to some degree. In each of our defenses I would say we're not far off the mark and we do share some common ground. I'm the one more inclined to give cds, it's my role, and has been for awhile. Her efforts of cd giving are at least interesting, far from pedestrian.

As for the rest of my acquaintances, I think overall the expectation based on my music is that I would like more folk and Americana than I do. I can't stomach too much of that twangy vocaled stuff. In some cases it is an immediate turn off. I think people beleive that just because I am savvy to some artists in these genres that I should be embracing them all.

User avatar
My name is Spaulding
Pancake Expert
Posts: 24074
Joined: 18 Jul 2003, 19:04
Location: Somewhere else

Re: Other people's misconceptions about your kind of music.

Postby My name is Spaulding » 10 Mar 2004, 15:23

River Man wrote:
Captain Spaulding wrote:
Charming Ali wrote:Someone lent my mum a Sting album today, which she didn't like very much, but she told me there was one song on it which sounded like my type of thing. I was quite amused at the idea and asked her why she thought that. She replied that it is "all shrieky", because she has got it into her head that I like singers who shriek (Aretha Franklin is known as "that awful shrieky woman" in this house, would you believe?) I agreed to give it a listen, and needless to say it was dull. I couldn't think of a single reason why she might think I would enjoy it until I noticed there was a gospel choir in there, presumably added to make it sound "soulful". That must have been where she got the idea from. But it strikes me as odd that someone who lives in the same house as me could have so little idea about what I actually like.


Which song was that, Ali?

I'm guessing it was something like 'Let your soul be your pilot'.


A partlicularly poor one, that one is.
Walk In My Shadow wrote:If Spaulding buys it, I'll buy it too.

User avatar
Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.
Posts: 66637
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 21:04
Location: High On Poachers Hill

Postby Diamond Dog » 10 Mar 2004, 15:41

I was having a conversatio with Snowdog recently where he started to talk about Led Zeppelin - I shocked him somewhat when I told him I hadn't listened to any Zep since the DVD, which was nearly a year ago !!
1-800-288-8372