JUOTA 2009 - Austin, Texas - Weekend of May 23rd

Backslapping time. Well done us. We are fantastic.
Six String

Re: JUOTA 2009 - Austin, Texas - Weekend of May 23rd

Postby Six String » 12 Dec 2015, 02:47

Baron Bobob wrote:I just re-read this thread. It was a pretty great time!
Here's the pic thread

http://bcb-board.co.uk/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=82884

Mos def my man. One for the ages. That Denny Freeman Organ Trio was fantastic and the tequila was good too!
Everything is broken
B. Dylan

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 10 Jan 2016, 19:45

We should do this all again.
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Flower wrote:I just did a google search.

Charlie O.

Postby Charlie O. » 11 Jan 2016, 02:07

Minnie the Minx wrote:We should do this all again.

If you do, I'll do my damnedest to actually get there this time!

(Hope that doesn't put everybody off...)

Six String

Postby Six String » 26 Feb 2019, 22:35

Still Baron wrote:Glad you dig it, Les! I really like the stretch from the Sir Douglas to the Alton Ellis. The beginnings and endings are a bit disjointed, I'm afraid. The other thing that fed into this was my minor obsession with older jazz and country music (which came out of or led to the western swing era), so there's a hodge podge of that sort of thing at the end. The Kid Ory track sticks out like a sore thumb, I'm afraid. I'll say more when I'm feeling more expansive.

I've enjoyed the other JU comps and have been more receptive to them than I have in the past. But they're at my office and I only listen to them quietly. I'll have to bring them home and blow them out a bit.

So I've been playing this disc again lately in the car and it works fantastic. What/who is that opening track?
Everything is broken
B. Dylan

BARON CORNY DOG
Diamond Geezer

Postby BARON CORNY DOG » 27 Feb 2019, 01:45

Hey, something's in the air! I was listening to your West Coast Jazz comp the other day!

Anyway, when I know the first track on the Austin JU disc, so will you. I'll try to have the answer in 24 hours or less . . .
take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

Six String

Postby Six String » 27 Feb 2019, 03:53

Thanks, I'll check back soon. I've enjoyed looking back at those JU threads.
Everything is broken
B. Dylan

BARON CORNY DOG
Diamond Geezer

Postby BARON CORNY DOG » 27 Feb 2019, 04:13

Oh, it’s posted above! Yves quoted it ... Alvin Cash’s “Twine Time”?

That was the theme song for the Saturday night R&B radio show that was an institution in this town for as long as I can remember things being on the radio. It was hosted by the late, great Paul Ray, who shaped my love for the Gulf Coast side of R&B and was the leader of Austin R&B stalwarts, The Cobras. Twine Time was every Saturday night from 8-11 until just a few years ago when Paul Ray passed away. You could pick it up three counties away .. and we did
take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

Six String

Postby Six String » 28 Feb 2019, 20:02

Still Baron wrote:Oh, it’s posted above! Yves quoted it ... Alvin Cash’s “Twine Time”?

That was the theme song for the Saturday night R&B radio show that was an institution in this town for as long as I can remember things being on the radio. It was hosted by the late, great Paul Ray, who shaped my love for the Gulf Coast side of R&B and was the leader of Austin R&B stalwarts, The Cobras. Twine Time was every Saturday night from 8-11 until just a few years ago when Paul Ray passed away. You could pick it up three counties away .. and we did

Cool. Thanks Michael. I saw Paul Ray and the Cobras several times back in the day. Twine Time is a stonkin' track. I played the disc at my local cidery last night and people dug it.
Last edited by Six String on 28 Feb 2019, 20:06, edited 1 time in total.
Everything is broken
B. Dylan

Six String

Postby Six String » 28 Feb 2019, 20:05

Walk In My Shadow wrote:
Speed Baron wrote:First this was gonna be a comprehensive single disc Western Swing thing. Then I had to buy a car so I couldn't blow $600 or whatever it would've taken me to get up to speed for that. Then it was going to be Doug Sahm/Sir Doug but Charlie O was gonna come and he would be the go to guy for that. Then Charlie O backed out but Yves bought the box set so . . . you get a grab bag of my favorite things. Lucky you. Track commentary to follow.

BARON'S AUSTIN 09 THING

1. ALVIN CASH & THE CRAWLERS "Twine Time"
2. SPADE COOLEY "Steel Guitar Rag"
3. SIR DOUGLAS QUINTET "Me and My Destiny"
4. BEACH BOYS "Busy Doin' Nothing"
5. BURT BACHARACH "Trains And Boats And Planes"
6. STEREOLAB "Captain Easychord" (album version)
7. BROADCAST "Corporeal"
8. TORTOISE "Eros"
9. KING TUBBY & SOUL SYNDICATE "Great Stone"
10. CAETANO VELOSO "Irene"
11. ALTON ELLIS "Can I Change My Mind"
12. KING OLIVER'S CREOLE JAZZ BAND "Dippermouth Blues"
13. CLIFF BRUNER'S TEXAS WANDERERS "It Makes No Difference Now"
14. TED DAFFAN'S TEXANS "Born To Lose"
15. SIR DOUGLAS QUINTET "And It Didn't Even Bring Me Down"
16. DONNY HATHAWAY "The Ghetto"
17. JUNIOR BYLES "A Place Called Africa"
18. SPADE COOLEY "Spadello"

Here it is, Les.

Thanks Yves! :oops: I just realised I had asked for this years ago! :oops:
Everything is broken
B. Dylan

Six String

Postby Six String » 02 Mar 2019, 06:34

Hey Michael, a regular at the cidery I played your disc at on Wednesday wants a copy of your Austin JU disc. She asked about the Stereolab and Broadcast tracks the other night but I couldn't confirm until tonight. You have anoher fan. :D

Personally I'm enjoying Can I Change My Mind. I know it from a Roy Buchanon album Livestock but the reggae version is great with the lyrics.
Everything is broken
B. Dylan

BARON CORNY DOG
Diamond Geezer

Postby BARON CORNY DOG » 02 Mar 2019, 13:23

Six String wrote:Hey Michael, a regular at the cidery I played your disc at on Wednesday wants a copy of your Austin JU disc. She asked about the Stereolab and Broadcast tracks the other night but I couldn't confirm until tonight. You have anoher fan. :D

Personally I'm enjoying Can I Change My Mind. I know it from a Roy Buchanon album Livestock but the reggae version is great with the lyrics.

Hey that’s really cool!
Can I Change My Mind was a hit for Tyrone Davis. That version was on the first rocksteady compilation I ever heard and it’s always stuck out to me. I was listening to this in the car and thinking that when you listen to each element of the track, it’s totally pedestrian, but there’s some ineffable magic in it as a whole. I’ve always loved it.

Six String

Postby Six String » 02 Mar 2019, 16:49

Still Baron wrote:
Six String wrote:Hey Michael, a regular at the cidery I played your disc at on Wednesday wants a copy of your Austin JU disc. She asked about the Stereolab and Broadcast tracks the other night but I couldn't confirm until tonight. You have anoher fan. :D

Hey that’s really cool!
Can I Change My Mind was a hit for Tyrone Davis. That version was on the first rocksteady compilation I ever heard and it’s always stuck out to me. I was listening to this in the car and thinking that when you listen to each element of the track, it’s totally pedestrian, but there’s some ineffable magic in it as a whole. I’ve always loved it.

Yeah I went out and found the Tyrone Davis track on youtube last night. Now I need that version. Since Rebecca and I are back together it has more meaning to me.
Everything is broken
B. Dylan

Return to “Classic Threads & Treasury of Mirth”