The Dog and Dome (Led Zep at the O2)

Backslapping time. Well done us. We are fantastic.
Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.

Re: The Dog and Dome (Led Zep at the O2)

Postby Diamond Dog » 24 Oct 2008, 12:21

It appears JPJ has decided to move on:

http://www.bam.org/view.aspx?pid=703

Interestin project.
Nicotine, valium, vicadin, marijuana, ecstasy, and alcohol -
Cocaine

Kinkhurt

Postby Kinkhurt » 06 Nov 2008, 16:47

angering the feeble

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 06 Nov 2008, 20:35

Kinkhurt wrote:seems Jack Bruce is upset

http://www.classicrockmagazine.com/page ... ou_re_crap

It must be terrible being chopped liver.

And 50% transplanted liver, at that.
Cocaine

Buddha B-Rex

Postby Buddha B-Rex » 09 Nov 2008, 13:36

I missed the recent spate of 'Who's Fronting The Zep Reunion' threads, and you philes have probably beaten this to death, but I thought this article was an interesting summation of the saga:

BMS Rumor Report: Led Zeppelin members to tour without Robert Plant?

Last December, the impossible happened: the remaining members of Led Zepelin reunited for one night only at London's O2 Arena. Since the gig in honor of Atlantic Records founder Ahment Ertegun, seemingly an endless amount of rumors have circulated speculating that the band would embark on a full worldwide reunion tour. Despite the gig's massive success, frontman Robert Plant was too busy and having too much fun supporting his collaborative release with Alison Krauss, Raising Sand, to reunite with his mates. Their tour lasted through this past fall but Plant denied he would reunite with guitarist Jimmy Page, bassist John Paul Jones, and drummer Jason Bonham (son of the late John Bonham), after it. But what about a tour without Plant at the helm?

Jones told BBC Radio last week that the band is indeed hoping to tour in support of a new album and is currently searching for a lead singer "We are trying out a couple of singers," Bonham said, "We want to do it. It's sounding great and we want to get on and get out there." He was quick to note that the band was looking for the right fit and did not want to replicate Plant or even the band's previous sound. "It's got to be right. There's no point in just finding another Robert." He continued, "You could get that out of a tribute band, but we don't want to be our own tribute band." However, Jones would not reveal who the band has been working with.

Leading the way for rumored candidates to fill in for Plant is current Alter Bridge frontman Myles Kennedy. Billboard recently reported that he was first in line for the gig. That report seems to validate the claim made by Twister Sister's Dee Snider a few weeks before hand. Snider, who share's the same manager as Plant, told Canadaian TV's MuchMore Music, "They're saying we're all rehearsed, we're ready to go. Here's a gazillion dollars on the table, if you don't do it, we're going out with this kid." He added that Kennedy can "sing the shit out of Zeppelin" before adding, "and they're like gonna hope that Robert at the last minute will go 'okay' and step in."

Assuming that they wouldn't dare to call it Led Zeppelin, I think I'd prefer a lesser known fill-in. It is nearly impossible to conceive of what follows:

Other names that have been floating around include Aerosmith's Steven Tyler, Chris Cornell of Soundgarden and Audioslave, Foo Fighters' Dave Grohl, ex Van Halen frontman Sammy Hagar, and Jack White of The White Stripes and The Raconteurs.

In a recent Guitarist Brad Whitford of Aerosmith, appearance on the syndicated Todd n Tyler Radio Empire admitted that Tyler has indeed been in England with the Led Zep members. However, the move was just for pure fun and in his opinion, Page was "trying to light a fire under Robert." "I have not been approached so far to fill in for Robert Plant on the upcoming Zeppelin tour, but that isn't to say I won't be," Cornell told MTV News, before quipping, "But if you see anyone from Led Zeppelin around, let me know. I think I should actually fill in for Jimmy Page on the Robert Plant/ Alison Krauss tour."

Grohl was joined by Page and Jones at Foo Fighter's Wembley Stadium show in London this past summer, where they performed a couple of Zeppelin tunes during the band's encore. Hagar has formed a new supergroup, tentatively named "Chickenfoot", with guitar virtuoso Joe Satriani, ex-Van Halen bassist Michael Anthony, and Reh Hot Chili Peppers drummer Chad Smith. As for White, sources close to the singer/guitarist denied the claims to the Daily Star newspaper in England.

The prospects of "Chickenfoot' aside, these have to be head fakes. Not one of them seems plausible, and most of them feel dangerously weak.

Promoter Harvey Goldsmith, the mastermind behind their reunion show last year, recently weighed in with his opinion by calling a tour without Plant, "pointless." He went on to tell BBC news that he doubted the members would carry on with the Led Zeppelin name are argued that unless they had a "compelling reason to do it, then they shouldn't do it."

But to better understand these latest rumors, let's take a look back at what else has been talked about since the band played their one off gig. Here are just a few examples:

In January, Page was open to the idea but acknowledged nothing would happen till Plant completed his latest project. "The amount of work that we put into the 02, both for ourselves rehearsing and also for the staging of it, was probably what you'd put into a world tour anyway," Page told reporters in Japan. He continued, "We'd all agreed to take it very, very seriously and have a really good time at the same time. We worked out the songs we were going to play, and it was exhilarating, it was fantastic. Every week was a week to look forward to."

In May, David Coverdale, frontman of Whitesnake and good friend of the band, stoked up the rumor mill again with his own crazy assertion. He told the UK Mirror newspaper that a reunion was "very likely," and continued, "I'm expecting a call from Jimmy any day asking my band Whitesnake to support them on their world tour. Am I on board? You bet. Probably worth billions."

In August, Bonham told a Detroit radio station that he has been taking part in jam sessions and recording new music with Jimmy Page and John Paul Jones. Prior to taking stage with his former bandmates in Foreigner, Bonham said, "I've been working with Jimmy and John Paul and trying to do ... some new material and some writing. I don't know what it will be, but it will be something. At the moment, all I know is I have the great pleasure to go and jam with the two guys and start work on some material. When I get there, I never ask any questions. If I get a phone call to go and play, I enjoy every moment of it."

By late September, just as his tour with Krauss was coming to an end, Plant had enough with the constant speculation. A statement was posted on his website indicating that he had no intention whatsoever of touring with anyone for at least the next two years. "It's both frustrating and ridiculous for this story to continue to rear its head when all the musicians that surround the story are keen to get on with their individual projects and move forward," Robert Plant said. He continued, "I wish Jimmy Page, John Paul Jones and Jason Bonham nothing but success with any future projects."

The above quote seems to pretty definitive on the idea of a full Zeppelin reunion, which brings us back to the latest rumor: Would Jimmy Page, John Paul Jones and Jason Bonham tour with another singer at the helm?

BMS Verdict: Possible. It would surely be disappointing without Plant at the helm. That being said, as long as the band tours under a new name, we'd be okay with the idea since Riders on the Storm (featuring members of The Doors) have proved it can be done.

I'm surprised the name 'Chris Robinson' wasn't mentioned, as he's actually the only person I can think of who might not render such a tour utterly impotent (ducks tomato).
Freak out. Far out.

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 21 May 2010, 18:23

Diamond Dog wrote:Good Times Bad Times
Right. The expectation was ridiculous and, when this kicked in (those big double chords) the place went ape. But, someone had forgotten (or wasn't able to?) do a soundcheck - it sounded horrid. No guitars, snare drum so loud it hurt, bass really thumping and Plant sounding really exposed. Also - the confirmation that they had transposed material down to suit Robert's voice. I don't know how far they took this down - but it sounded really very odd. I hated it. There, didn't think the review would start like that, did you!!

Ramble On
Again, they were still doing the sound during this - you could hear Jimmy's guitar, but only just. They did a decent job, nonetheless - very reminiscent of the Page & Plant shows I saw in '98, but a touch more subtle. Not fabulous, but better.

Black Dog
At last, the sound is right. Jimmy rips this riff brilliantly - the whole band are right in there with him (after all, it's a JPJ song) and Robert does it in a very '07 stylee. This is actually much bluesier than the Zep versions I have - a return to the songs origins. The first time I think they'd settled and really enjoyed it.

In My Time Of Dying
And this was where the gig really started cooking. Again, it's been transposed down to match Plant's voice, but it really worked well here. It became a really dirty, bottleneck driven electric blues. Plant was more comfortable and the band, especially from the middle section on, was on fire. But the star here (as he was all night) was Jimmy - with that grey hair, and initially with a white shirt and dark waistcoat, he looked every inch one of those gnarled old blues guys he'd tried so desperately to be in his youth!! I've always loved his wandering slide work - and this was magical. Layer upon layer - he just laid it on. Wow!

For Your Life
And it just got better! I've always wished they'd played this live all those years ago - and here it is, the three of them (and Jason) playing it live for the first ever time. And, man, it was tight!! Absolutely spot on - that stop/start riff really cut through superbly.Robert really sang his heart out too - an obvious sign he was enjoying it too. Worth it (for me) just to hear this debut performance - and that it was played really well is an added bonus.

Trampled Underfoot
This has always been one of my fave live Zep tracks (indeed, that 75 Earls Court version where the three of them get into that marvellous extended tri-improv is really the Zep live blueprint) and this didn't disappoint. They weren't expected to recapture that brilliance but, nonetheless, this really rocked - funky, in their own way. Again, Jimmy was superb. Damn fine.

Nobody's Fault But Mine (I heard no "Custard Pie" in the intro!!)
Oh-my-god! This was the absolute highlight of the evening for me - every bit as good as any version I've heard, the band totally and utterly wiped the floor with this. And Planty gave his best vocal performance of the evening. The energy was astonishing -very hard to believe they could still play this intensely. Absolutely marvellous - and what a delight to hear Robert's harmonica again!

No Quarter
Another song seriously altered to suit Robert - trouble is, this made this sound like Sabbath plays Zep! It didn't work that well for me - it's one of the few live solos Jimmy replicates close to the original, but he doesn't (or can't?) here and the song loses its impact because of that.

Since I've Been Loving You
This was played as a much less dramatic, slow blues than the more hysterical album (and live Zep) versions. It worked okay - although I thought it did border abit on 'lounge' style for me. I think my attention may have wandered a little here, due to catching a pair of guys in the standing area doing the most ridiculous, twisted 'dance of the devil' - air guitars and all. :lol:

Dazed And Confused
Wow, wow and wow again! Played in a lower key (again) and slow - again, it sounded like 'Sabs play Zep' but it worked brilliantly here. They may have got lost a bit coming out of the sole part in the middle (in fact, I know they did) but they recovered really well. Now, the bow solo.........the one really freaky part of the whole show for me. The only time I saw the green laser, rotating pyramid encasing Jimmy with the bow was back at Knebworth in '79 and here it was again. I know you probably all think it's a Spinal Tap parody, but there is no way one can describe the ungodly noise that Jimmy extracts from that bow on that Les Paul. It is absolutely spellbinding. And it really does sound quite satanic, even to this day. It made the hairs on the back of my neck stand to attention. And, at this point, maybe I had to dab a tear - I can't remember. :oops:

Stairway To Heaven
No, no, no. I dreaded it - they played it. It was taken so far down to accomodate Robert it sounded almost like a totally different song. The problem is this - everyone knows that guitar so well, to hear it played in any other key is just plain wrong. And Robert, bless his heart, really, really tried. But to hear him try and reach those high notes at the end, even tuned this far down, was desperately sad. And, from Jimmy & JPJ, terribly, terribly unfair. Really, I have such a love of Robert and all the beautiful music he's given me over four decades, to hear him reduced to such pathetic parody is just so very, very wrong and so crushingly sad. It made me more angry than I can adequately express :x Plant said at the end "We did it, Ahmet". I'm sure Ahmet, god rest his soul, wishes they hadn't.

The Song Remains The Same
Well, the double neck was out from "Stairway" so why not? And it worked fine, but I don't remember too much about it, because I was still privately seething. Sorry, can't say more really.

Misty Mountain Hop
Some much needed light relief - they went head down for this and it worked. It's such a 'dumb' riff, and it works so so well at certain times. I think this is one of Robert's fave Zep songs and he seemed to really enjoy it. The band was tight, tight, tight. And Jimmy ripped the solo (again).

Kashmir
Robert made a point of saying there were people from 50 countries here tonight - this was the 51st (whatever that meant!). Straight three count in and - BANG!! Jesus H Christ. What a version, what a version! That thudding, jarring riff sparkled tonight - and JPJ and Jason fell in behind it, and propelled it, magnificently. Robert was just lovely here on this - he clearly has a true passion for this track. Better than any Zep version I've heard (I think) - you can't pay higher compliments than that.

And that was it. The place absolutely erupted for 10 minutes or so, until......

-----
1st Encore:
Whole Lotta Love
A play-by-numbers version of a great riff. I've heard so many versions of this now, I can't get excited about it anymore. It has to be played for those that never saw it previously, and it's great to see Jimmy messing about with the theremin, but there's nothing here I haven't heard a few too mant times before. Sorry guys - but that's how it is.

And off they went again - and quite a few thousands thought that was it. I told the guy who went with me (who, I must add, was goggle eyed at the whole thing) that they'd be back for "Rock And Roll". And, as if on cue.........

2nd Encore:
Rock And Roll
It rocked and it rolled. And it has been a long, long time. And I love this song - but (as woth "Whole Lotta Love") it became 'encore cliche' after the '98 Page & Plant tour, and Plant's last few tours. It was really very good - but I can't get excited by it anymore, because it can't be played any other way. Good as that way is, I've heard it many times previously. But a solid ending.

-----------------

So, there you have it. And I probably sound less enthusiastic than you were expecting?

To clarify - I have (no boasting, but it's true) the best live version of every Zep song I know somewhere in my collection, I guess. So to even begin to make me think that I've heard an excellent version last night would mean they've done a fantastic job. And - with "Nobody's Fault", "In My Time Of Dying", "Trampled Underfoot" and "Dazed And Confused" and "Kashmir" they really did move mountains- as good as any band I can imagine live. And to hear "For Your Life" live was fabulous. And the rest fell into the slightly less than that category. But "Good Times, Bad Times" sounded horrible. And what the others put Robert through for "Stairway" was for me, unforgivable. He deserves so much better than that. And,in my view, why they won't tour - unless they are prepared to get into a studio and write new material. And that isn't happening for nothing, is it?

A couple more things - Jason is a very good drummer. But he sounds very little like his Dad - which is probably a good thing. I'm very pleased for him that he had the opportunity - and he certainly didn't let the side down. JPJ is a rock - a great, great bass player. And just as important to the Zep sound as the others - it's a shame he tends to get forgotten, because his contributions shouldn't ever be under-rated. And Robert is Robert - contrary but, oddly enough, the best judge of what's right for the Led Zeppelin legacy. Jimmy can accumulate it - but Robert is the best judge of what's right for the mass market. I believe that more now than ever.

Jimmy Page is my musical hero - I (somewhat embarrasingly, for a 45 year old) worship the very ground the man walks on. And, last night, he played guitar like no 65 year old should be able to - especially as, I'm fairly sure, he saved his injured pinky finger all night (I'm not sure he ever actually used it for chords or solos at all - which, if correct, makes his performance even more extraordinary). He isn't the most technically proficient, and he no longer looks like a dark, lithe, satanic presence, strutting the stage. But, when he rolls his sleeves up and gets his head down, he brings forth stunning music like no other. The sheer force of the man is all encompassing. He is, for me, the finest, most honest, gut wrenching genius it's ever been my privilege to witness live. I will always have that memory of him taking the roof off the place on a number of occasions last night - and I'm desperately happy that I have. And, for that, I'm eternally pleased.

But, let's have that as the final chapter in the live Led Zeppelin saga. It's time to listen to Robert and finish it last night - it's the right thing to do. Go out on a high, guys. Please.

Nice review son. :D
Cocaine

Belle Lettre
Éminence grise

Postby Belle Lettre » 21 May 2010, 20:47

Very. I'm glad you dusted it off; I hadn't seen it before. Sniff.
Nikki Gradual wrote:
Get a fucking grip you narcissistic cretins.

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 21 May 2010, 23:25

Diamond Dog wrote:For Your Life
And it just got better! I've always wished they'd played this live all those years ago - and here it is, the three of them (and Jason) playing it live for the first ever time. And, man, it was tight!! Absolutely spot on - that stop/start riff really cut through superbly.Robert really sang his heart out too - an obvious sign he was enjoying it too. Worth it (for me) just to hear this debut performance - and that it was played really well is an added bonus.

I was listening to this just last week and was thinking, "I'd love to see them try and pull this off live---there'd be no way."

This would have been reason enough to see them for me.
Don't fake the funk on a nasty dunk!

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 23 May 2010, 11:13

Belle Lettre wrote:Very. I'm glad you dusted it off; I hadn't seen it before. Sniff.

It bought a little tear to my eye, Belle!
Cocaine

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 02 Dec 2010, 04:36

Wow, is it really nearly three years since this?

Phew.
Cocaine

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 10 Dec 2010, 09:43

Three years to the day.

I was a nervous wreck throughout the day.
Cocaine

hookfinger

Postby hookfinger » 10 Dec 2010, 15:33

That was a great read.
Oh boy is it getting rough, when my old world charm isn't quite enough.

Jimbly

Postby Jimbly » 10 Dec 2010, 23:43

I remember a phone call when you were just past the gates. I was so pleased that you had got in, without any hassle.
So Long Kid, Take A Bow.

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 11 Dec 2010, 08:27

yulefinger wrote:That was a great read.

Thank you.

Incredibly, in light of the bootleg DVD that came afterwards, it is a remarkably accurate description of the gig. Frankly, I'm still amazed how objective I was - most peculiar!
Cocaine

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 11 Dec 2010, 08:31

Jeemo wrote:I remember a phone call when you were just past the gates. I was so pleased that you had got in, without any hassle.

Ah, Jim - you are the man!!

I'll never forget that sense of complete, overwhelming elation when they handed me and my mate the wristbands - it was like a huge weight had been lifted from our shoulders. Amazing experience.

To be honest, I really have no clue what we talked about (I was too busy bouncing off the walls) but I do know I'll never forget your kindness and foresight to send me your password code. BIG THUMBS UP !!!
Cocaine

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 22 Sep 2011, 14:04

Just got this today :

It's a Japanese bootleg of the evening - in simply astonishing sound quality, and the packaging would put 99% of official releases to shame. Absolutely beautiful. What a lovely memento of a memorable night!!
Cocaine

dang65

Postby dang65 » 22 Sep 2011, 14:13

Diamond Dog wrote:Just got this today :

It's a Japanese bootleg of the evening - in simply astonishing sound quality, and the packaging would put 99% of official releases to shame. Absolutely beautiful. What a lovely memento of a memorable night!!

Does that one include the rehearsal recordings which are doing the rounds at the moment?

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 22 Sep 2011, 14:19

dang65 wrote:
Diamond Dog wrote:Just got this today :

Does that one include the rehearsal recordings which are doing the rounds at the moment?

Nope. I must look out for those!
Cocaine

Pool Hall Richard

Postby Pool Hall Richard » 22 Sep 2011, 14:26

Where can one find a good copy on the net? I've downloaded several over the years and all have been pish.

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 22 Sep 2011, 14:54

Such a great read!
Griff wrote:The notion that Jeremy Corbyn, a lifelong vocal proponent of antisemitism, would stand in front of an antisemitic mural and commend it is utterly preposterous.

Copehead wrote:a right wing cretin like Berger....bleating about racism

Jimbly

Postby Jimbly » 22 Sep 2011, 14:59

Pool Hall Richard wrote:Where can one find a good copy on the net? I've downloaded several over the years and all have been pish.

Dimeadozen
So Long Kid, Take A Bow.

Return to “Classic Threads & Treasury of Mirth”