The Dog and Dome (Led Zep at the O2)

Backslapping time. Well done us. We are fantastic.
Kinkhurt

Re: The Dog and Dome (Led Zep at the O2)

Postby Kinkhurt » 21 May 2008, 11:42

Diamond Dog wrote:Well, with Plant & Krauss announcing shows into October this year, that appears to rule out anything from this four in '08.

Will it ever happen?

Is this tour selling out ? I'm listening to the Birmingham AL recording, it sounds lazy as hell, almost as bad as the last Strange Sensations. Its a bit weird that Plant doesn't want to go backwards and do Zep again yet he still churns out lazy and predictable renditions of Zep tunes with somebody else and thinks it has some validity.
angering the feeble

Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.

Postby Diamond Dog » 21 May 2008, 11:51

Kinkhurt wrote:
Diamond Dog wrote:Well, with Plant & Krauss announcing shows into October this year, that appears to rule out anything from this four in '08.

Will it ever happen?

Is this tour selling out ? I'm listening to the Birmingham AL recording, it sounds lazy as hell, almost as bad as the last Strange Sensations. Its a bit weird that Plant doesn't want to go backwards and do Zep again yet he still churns out lazy and predictable renditions of Zep tunes with somebody else and thinks it has some validity.

See, I'm in the 'not decided' camp here.

As I commented to The Slider, is Plant really saying 'fuck you' to convention, and doing exactly what he wants, or is he carefully 'nurturing' his legacy (as he sees it) by taking 'safe' risks?

I'm really not sure - but, whilst your report of the Birmigham show is contrary to many reviews so far from the tour, I've (nearly always) found that the Strange Sensations live (and even Page & Plant) are much better seen, rather than heard on bootleg, after the event.

Maybe it is all smokes and mirrors, who knows?
Nicotine, valium, vicadin, marijuana, ecstasy, and alcohol -
Cocaine

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 07 Jun 2008, 15:57

Well, well:

PAGE/JONES/BONHAM
FOO FIGHTERS APPEARANCE?
There are strong rumours circulating that Jimmy Page, John Paul Jones and Jason Bonham will join the Foo Fighters on stage at their June 7 Wembley Stadium gig.

A report in the Daily Star states "He (Dave Grohl) had the night of his life seeing Zep performing together after all these years and was really keen to be involved with them somehow.

"It didn't come off for him to play with them at the time so he suggested they might like to come and do something at a Foo’s date. Robert Plant is doing his own stuff in the States.

"But Dave has been talking to other members of Zep and they will play three of their own songs on stage with the Foo Fighters’’
-----------------------------------------

Anyone going tonight?
Cocaine

Pool Hall Richard

Postby Pool Hall Richard » 07 Jun 2008, 21:06

Diamond Dog wrote:Well, well:

PAGE/JONES/BONHAM
FOO FIGHTERS APPEARANCE?
There are strong rumours circulating that Jimmy Page, John Paul Jones and Jason Bonham will join the Foo Fighters on stage at their June 7 Wembley Stadium gig.

A report in the Daily Star states "He (Dave Grohl) had the night of his life seeing Zep performing together after all these years and was really keen to be involved with them somehow.

"It didn't come off for him to play with them at the time so he suggested they might like to come and do something at a Foo’s date. Robert Plant is doing his own stuff in the States.

"But Dave has been talking to other members of Zep and they will play three of their own songs on stage with the Foo Fighters’’
-----------------------------------------

Anyone going tonight?

Give it an hour or so and we'll know for sure.

Pool Hall Richard

Postby Pool Hall Richard » 07 Jun 2008, 21:09

...........and that reminds me. I've looked on many a blog site and seen plenty of bootlegs available of the O2 show. Does anybody have a link to a top quality copy?? There's some really shit audience recordings about. Would be most appreciative. ;)

&

Postby & » 07 Jun 2008, 22:12

I think there's one doing the rounds if you go through the looking glass.

Maxwell's Golden Pickaxe
spud thick mick

Postby Maxwell's Golden Pickaxe » 08 Jun 2008, 09:25

Page and Jones showed up. Jason Bonham didn't.

http://www.nme.com/news/led-zeppelin/37175

dang65

Postby dang65 » 08 Jun 2008, 10:22

Pretty good vocal from Taylor Hawkins too. I can imagine how much this meant to Dave Grohl. Good for him.

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 08 Jun 2008, 11:47

Right, so the self confessed "greatest Zep fan on the planet" has to read the autocue for every fucking line of "Ramble On"?

Dave Grohl is, officially, a wanker of the highest order.
Cocaine

dang65

Postby dang65 » 08 Jun 2008, 17:23

Woops. Yeah, it was Taylor Hawkins singing Rock And Roll and Grohl singing Ramble On. I dunno, maybe he was nervous or something. Nah, who'd be nervous in a situation like that?

Pool Hall Richard

Postby Pool Hall Richard » 08 Jun 2008, 17:46

I know thats a poor recording but Grohl sounds awful, and a definite red card for using autocue. David, how could you??? :o :oops: :lol:

Pool Hall Richard

Postby Pool Hall Richard » 04 Aug 2008, 06:48

Pool Hall Richard wrote:I haven't really anything worthy to add to this thread but my Mrs pointed out there's a "LED ZEPPELIN MEMORABILIA EXHIBITION" Friday 1st August - Wednesday 3rd September, at the Library at Knebworth House - http://www.knebworthhouse.com/events/events.html - not much on the website as yet.

Yes, I know it's months away but as I only live a few miles down the road i'll be certain to pop along 8-)

I popped along to this at the weekend. Some really nice exhibits. Signed albums and singles, ticket stubs and other memorabilia. You can win 1500 quid worth of hi-fi signed by Jimmy in a competition.

The woman running it was the biggest Zepp nut i've ever spoken too. I have to admit that for just under a tenner it wasnt the greatest event i've ever been to but if you're in the area and have an hour to kill.............and if you're a Zepp nut, it's worth dropping by,

dang65

Postby dang65 » 14 Aug 2008, 10:14

Latest opportunity to see some Zep... just switch on your telly along with 150 million other people:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/others ... -2012.html
http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/top-storie ... -20696807/
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/articl ... -2012.html

Who the feck is Leona Lewis?

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 29 Sep 2008, 18:00

Strong rumours that Plant has committed to a set of shows next year. I'm hearing that the idea was never to say anything officially until after Plant had finished his touring commitments with Alison Krauss, and that this has been set up for months.
Cocaine

Jimbly

Postby Jimbly » 29 Sep 2008, 20:38

Diamond Dog wrote:Strong rumours that Plant has committed to a set of shows next year. I'm hearing that the idea was never to say anything officially until after Plant had finished his touring commitments with Alison Krauss, and that this has been set up for months.

I'll let you know when my name gets pulled out the hat :lol:
So Long Kid, Take A Bow.

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 29 Sep 2008, 20:42

Jeemo wrote:
Diamond Dog wrote:Strong rumours that Plant has committed to a set of shows next year. I'm hearing that the idea was never to say anything officially until after Plant had finished his touring commitments with Alison Krauss, and that this has been set up for months.

I'll let you know when my name gets pulled out the hat :lol:

:mrgreen:
Cocaine

doctorlouie
AKA Number 16 Bus Shelter

Postby doctorlouie » 30 Sep 2008, 01:34

From the BBC:

Plant slams door on Led Zep tour by Ian Youngs

Led Zeppelin frontman Robert Plant has scotched rumours that he is to tour with the band, describing speculation as "frustrating and ridiculous".

Last week, The Sun newspaper reported that he had agreed to a reunion tour.

But he has not and will not go on the road with anyone for at least two years after finishing US dates with Alison Krauss on 5 October, a statement said.

"Contrary to a spate of recent reports, Robert Plant will not be touring or recording with Led Zeppelin," it said.

"Anyone buying tickets online to any such event will be buying bogus tickets."

The rock legends got back together for a one-off concert, their first for 19 years, in London last December.

At the time, promoters said 20 million people tried to register for tickets as soon as they became available.

Speculation has since been rife that the surviving members of the band, with Jason Bonham, son of their late drummer John, would hit the road for a highly lucrative tour.

"It's both frustrating and ridiculous for this story to continue to rear its head when all the musicians that surround the story are keen to get on with their individual projects and move forward," Plant said.

"I wish Jimmy Page, John Paul Jones and Jason Bonham nothing but success with any future projects."

Plant has been reluctant to consider other projects during his fruitful collaboration with bluegrass singer Krauss.

Their album Raising Sand has earned them a Grammy Award and a Mercury Music Prize nomination, among other honours.

The other band members, meanwhile, are believed to be keen to work together again.

In August, Jason Bonham told a US radio station that he had been working on new material with Page and Jones.

The Sun has also reported that the trio have auditioned new singers to replace Plant on tour.

Meanwhile, guitarist Page was last seen performing Led Zeppelin's classic Whole Lotta Love with pop star Leona Lewis during the closing ceremony of the Beijing Olympics.

dang65

Postby dang65 » 01 Oct 2008, 11:06

I think it's really sad that it's come to this. I can totally understand Plant not wanting to go backwards and all that, but they were so good at the O2 show and it's really depressing that we're not likely to see that again. The momentum has gone, Plant is pissed off with the endless speculation and the O2 show is really looking like the last ever Zeppelin concert. It's genuinely a huge loss for live music fans.

I just hope that Page, Jones and Jason Bonham do keep going and can find an original singer and new material, not just a Plant clone, and that they don't take this knock back from Plant as a reason to pack up.

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 22 Oct 2008, 15:51

So who the fuck is Myles Kennedy?
Cocaine

Kinkhurt

Postby Kinkhurt » 22 Oct 2008, 15:58

Diamond Dog wrote:So who the fuck is Myles Kennedy?

he's the new robert plant
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Myles_Kennedy

anybody remember dignity ?
angering the feeble

Return to “Classic Threads & Treasury of Mirth”