JUotA 2008: New Orleans May 23-26

Backslapping time. Well done us. We are fantastic.
BARON CORNY DOG
Diamond Geezer

Re: JUotA 2008: New Orleans May 23-26

Postby BARON CORNY DOG » 22 May 2008, 23:04

Sambient wrote:Weather forecasts that had been looking good leading into the event have changed. There have been several thunderstorms today. I've soaked one change of clothes because umbrellas are a useless prospect when faced with this sort of downpour. It, alas, was not an isolated incident.

I've been in New Orleans for some downpours and have been the victim of fairly epic flash street-flooding. Being soaked to your socks sucks.
Looks like there's rain in the forecast every day, Mexico style.
take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

Corporate whore
Genuine and Authorised Pope

Postby Corporate whore » 22 May 2008, 23:15

Waargh - after a cool morning at the Mardi gras World (where the floats are made and stored), and lunch with Reta, Pete and Mrs Pete, Denise and I decided to go to the aquarium to avoid the rain.

I might as well have jumped in with the fish and had a swim, because we got majour big league wet on the way back to the hotel. One road we crossed the water was 5" deep (!) which was nice. At least the water was warm and its not humid anymore. I think I need a Beer.

toomanypillowz
Location: The Historic Wilshire Vista District in Los Angeles

Postby toomanypillowz » 22 May 2008, 23:24

What a drag. Hang in there. I'd find a cozy bar or restaurant to hang out in for a few hours; Weather.com says "heavy thunderstorms" for tonight, but "isolated thunderstorms" for the next few days, so it should be letting up a bit. I suppose that means there will be short, unexpected bursts of rain as opposed to one long heavy downpour. I'm glad I packed my capris, in case I need to go wading . . .

- TMP
Lance Matthew wrote:Oh, I've always inspired extreme reactions. I can reduce normal people to screaming harpies in minutes.

toomanyhatz wrote: Fuck you with a Craftsman rotary drill.

toomanyhatz
Power-mad king of the WCC
Location: Just east of where Charlie Parker went to do some relaxin'

Postby toomanyhatz » 22 May 2008, 23:37

Toomanypillowz wrote:What a drag. Hang in there. I'd find a cozy bar or restaurant to hang out in for a few hours; Weather.com says "heavy thunderstorms" for tonight, but "isolated thunderstorms" for the next few days, so it should be letting up a bit. I suppose that means there will be short, unexpected bursts of rain as opposed to one long heavy downpour. I'm glad I packed my capris, in case I need to go wading . . .

- TMP

Three posts on your first day? You've become one of us! Wanna start a Belle and Sebastian post or something? :P

Sorry, honey. I'll just get back to packing now. :oops:
Footy wrote:
The Who / Jimi Hendrix Experience Saville Theatre, London Jan '67
. Got Jimi's autograph after the show and went on to see him several times that year

1959 1963 1965 1966 1974 1977 1978 1981 1988 2017* 2018 2020!! 2023?

toomanypillowz
Location: The Historic Wilshire Vista District in Los Angeles

Postby toomanypillowz » 22 May 2008, 23:41

I don't see why not. I'm sure SOME BCB'ers have the good taste to appreciate Belle & Sebastian. 8-)
Lance Matthew wrote:Oh, I've always inspired extreme reactions. I can reduce normal people to screaming harpies in minutes.

toomanyhatz wrote: Fuck you with a Craftsman rotary drill.

toomanyhatz

Postby toomanyhatz » 23 May 2008, 07:44

Alrighty then- it's off to Carolyn's, then to the airport in the morn. See you tomorrow early evening!
Footy wrote:
. Got Jimi's autograph after the show and went on to see him several times that year

Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.

Postby Diamond Dog » 23 May 2008, 08:53

Toomanypillowz wrote:I don't see why not. I'm sure SOME BCB'ers have the good taste to appreciate Belle & Sebastian. 8-)

You'd be wrong, then.

By the way, keep your music posts in "Yakety Yak" please.

;)
Nicotine, valium, vicadin, marijuana, ecstasy, and alcohol -
Cocaine

toomanyhatz

Postby toomanyhatz » 23 May 2008, 16:28

No pickin' on my girlfriend, Pete. :P

Anyway, we're off to the airport. See ya soon, kids!!
Footy wrote:

Sambient

Postby Sambient » 24 May 2008, 05:40

Il Baron wrote:
Sambient wrote:Weather forecasts that had been looking good leading into the event have changed. There have been several thunderstorms today. I've soaked one change of clothes because umbrellas are a useless prospect when faced with this sort of downpour. It, alas, was not an isolated incident.

I've been in New Orleans for some downpours and have been the victim of fairly epic flash street-flooding. Being soaked to your socks sucks.
Looks like there's rain in the forecast every day, Mexico style.

My sweet blue Chucks, though they've been on the bathroom counter to dry for over twenty four hours now, are still soggy. These are new Chucks we're talkin', folks, I just bought these the day before I got on the plane. We haven't had a chance to really bond yet.

Now on to the bonding of the BCB kind.
Perhaps the trend going forward shall be a boat activity on the Friday of JUotAs going forward as this is the second year some of us have climbed on a boat to go on a tour. I'm so glad Rita found this particular swamp tour, it was superb. Egrets, we had a few. Alligators swimming rapidly toward us when our guide did a call, to accept marshmallows and a hot dog on a stick. It was all so magnificent. Now, operating under the information that yomp had shared about a bug-bitten fellow traveller on his visit, some of us were armed with insect repellant. I put on the industrial strength stuff that gave me an instant headache and sallied forth.
Thing is, according to our guide, and no one has any bites to prove otherwise, that the mosquitos are out at night, not during the day.
Oh the time I wasted running around looking for an appropriately carry-on sized insect repellant.
There are turtles that are called sliders. We saw snakes, an owl, and at some points the boat tearing through the water was a thrill ride to delight the juvenile likes of myself.
The van ride to and from, though at some points incredibly bumpy, afforded us more views of the area, including enduring evidence of Katrina. You don't really see much right around where we are.

The evening had us satisfying Martin's desire for some Cajun music. Cajun cooking went along with it. It was a rare place in that they were able to accommodate a party of our size immediately. And when our ranks grew, another table was pulled up.
Afterwards, finding a suitable bar was proving challenging. Wandering about the French Quarter, sometimes with no particular destination in mind, then a destination was chosen, only to find that the place was closed. Closed!? Mutherfuckin' closed? What the fuck is a bar in the French Quarter doing closed on a Friday night???? More wandering, then some splintering.
Now one of the things about New Orleans is that it is legal to be consuming alcohol out on the street. You get a "to go cup", some sort of plastic vessel or other, usually a standard cup, but in the case of some kitschy named schitzo-alcoholed beverages you get a themed container. The street is a sea. Most of the time we were swimming against the tide.
Bourbon Street is a movable frat party. Some splintering of our ranks happened, I'm one of the ones who returned early, disposing my to go cup in favor of being able to walk. Not that the alcohol was incapacitating, but beer on my tank top is not how I care to accessorize.
BCB troops are still out there crawling the night. It's actually pretty early by revelling standards, but it was a long day and I want to do much tomorrow as well. I don't know that I'll be able to provide pics until I've returned home, I'll see what I can do.

Official jolly up location still to be determined, Lord help us.
Pre-jolly, or the warm up, has presented itself however. Because with Thursdays enduring rain there was a leak in Velvis' room, he was upgraded to a suite, now dubbed Suite Georgia Brown.

I'm giving up on being awake. There's still glitter eyeliner to be removed before I pour myself, full belly included, into the awaiting bed.

Instead of reading about this stuff, you fuckers should all be here. Each and every one of you. Then you can defend yourselves when we talk some shit about you.

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 24 May 2008, 14:22

Sambient wrote:but beer on my tank top is not how I care to accessorize.

This is exactly how I usually accessorize.
Don't fake the funk on a nasty dunk!

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 24 May 2008, 14:30

sloopjohnc wrote:
Sambient wrote:but beer on my tank top is not how I care to accessorize.

This is exactly how I usually accessorize.

It's how I prioritise, truth be told.

Sounds like a real blast - one day, I'll make one of these.
Cocaine

Velvis
Mellowed down easy

Postby Velvis » 24 May 2008, 22:12

Okay...just in case anybody doesn't know, 7:00 in my suite (402). We'll exchange CDs and the pre-jolly-up will commence.
a gibbon running freely

BARON CORNY DOG
Diamond Geezer

Postby BARON CORNY DOG » 25 May 2008, 03:04

Though fey at first, the pre-JU has rapidly descended into impish whimpers about pear drops, pepper on the nose, and brown sauce. I anticipate an epic bout of peppery pugilism.

Halloween, perhaps?

It's no accident that there's been no mention of the competing versions of Richard Nixon proffered principally by Take_5 and a (frankly, drunk) T-Berry.

We're off to Decatur in search of whatever. Say a little prayer.
take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 25 May 2008, 09:17

Judas! wrote:I've no idea what anyone's on about. :(

Your sig will suffice, I would guess.
Cocaine

Sambient

Postby Sambient » 25 May 2008, 14:24

Il Baron wrote:
We're off to Decatur in search of whatever. Say a little prayer.

We found whatever. And it was good.

This is a fantastic JUotA.

Sambient

Postby Sambient » 25 May 2008, 23:08

I am sorry to report that we never saw nor heard from kath. I believe Nolamike might be a possibility for this evening. Guess it depends on what goes on. The only thing universally definitive is that there's a happy hour in Livet's room 6:30-7:30. She's in room 423.

Corporate whore
Genuine and Authorised Pope

Postby Corporate whore » 26 May 2008, 14:19

So what the fuck happened?

I go to take a pic. of the scary jesus, turn around and everyone had fucked off.

Maybe the crap ghosts got everybody?

Anyway - off to the Airport now, and some reasonable tempreatures. Its been a trip.

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 26 May 2008, 16:31

Sambient wrote:I am sorry to report that we never saw nor heard from kath.

That's too bad. It sounded like she had some conflicts but wanted to meet you guys.
Don't fake the funk on a nasty dunk!

Walk In My Shadow
Hello Laydeez

Postby Walk In My Shadow » 26 May 2008, 19:35

sloopjohnc wrote:
Sambient wrote:I am sorry to report that we never saw nor heard from kath.

That's too bad. It sounded like she had some conflicts but wanted to meet you guys.

Yup. That a real shame. Y'all.
Beneluxfunkmeisterlurvegod

BARON CORNY DOG
Diamond Geezer

Postby BARON CORNY DOG » 26 May 2008, 19:43

I am back in the relative peace and quiet of the pine trees of West East Texas.
More to follow soon.

Return to “Classic Threads & Treasury of Mirth”