The Jazz Workshop

Backslapping time. Well done us. We are fantastic.
Six String
Posts: 20059
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 20:22

Re: The Jazz Workshop

Postby Six String » 27 Feb 2011, 20:51

Snarfyguy wrote:Image

I'm a sucker for Vibraphone, be it MJQ, Bobby Hutcherson on Out to Lunch, Gong or whatever. This is a pretty sweet set, very funky and electric. Nice for a Sunday afternoon.


I see that one from time to time on vinyl but I've never picked it up. Burton is a solid player for sure. He did an album with Chick Corea in the 70s (probably around the time this one was recorded) called Crystal Silence that is very good. I saw him play a few years ago at a local club and really enjoyed his set.

User avatar
pcqgod
Posts: 16743
Joined: 11 Apr 2010, 07:23
Location: Texas

Re: The Jazz Workshop

Postby pcqgod » 03 Mar 2011, 02:25

Where would rock 'n' roll be without feedback?

User avatar
T. Willy Rye
Spinner of crazy fuck-ass shit
Posts: 3540
Joined: 30 Jan 2010, 21:41
Location: Fogertyland

Re: The Jazz Workshop

Postby T. Willy Rye » 03 Mar 2011, 03:05

Well deserved. Sonny Rollins' publicist seems to be my neighbor. I guess jazz publicist doesn't pay too well.

User avatar
Nolamike
Posts: 13945
Joined: 05 Dec 2005, 21:31
Location: Heaven, Hell, or Houston
Contact:

Re: The Jazz Workshop

Postby Nolamike » 03 Mar 2011, 16:08

Finally picked up this gem the other day:

Image

How did I live so long without it? :o It's one of the best things I've heard in years!
Sir John Coan wrote:Nolamike is speaking nothing but sense here.


Loki wrote:Mike is Hookfinger's shill.

Six String
Posts: 20059
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 20:22

Re: The Jazz Workshop

Postby Six String » 03 Mar 2011, 17:36

Out There is one of my favorite Dolphy albums too. He never made a bad album and there is only one or two that I wouldn't whole heartedly recomend but that one is definitely in the top five of my list. Do you have any of his Live at the Five Spot recordings?

User avatar
Nolamike
Posts: 13945
Joined: 05 Dec 2005, 21:31
Location: Heaven, Hell, or Houston
Contact:

Re: The Jazz Workshop

Postby Nolamike » 03 Mar 2011, 17:45

Six String wrote:Out There is one of my favorite Dolphy albums too. He never made a bad album and there is only one or two that I wouldn't whole heartedly recomend but that one is definitely in the top five of my list. Do you have any of his Live at the Five Spot recordings?


Nah, this is shamefully only my second Dolphy album, joining Out to Lunch. I've got plenty of other albums with him playing, though.

I have a feeling I'll be picking up some more before long.
Sir John Coan wrote:Nolamike is speaking nothing but sense here.


Loki wrote:Mike is Hookfinger's shill.

User avatar
Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure
Posts: 52662
Joined: 21 Jul 2003, 19:04
Location: New York

Re: The Jazz Workshop

Postby Snarfyguy » 03 Mar 2011, 21:13

Six String wrote:Out There is one of my favorite Dolphy albums too. He never made a bad album and there is only one or two that I wouldn't whole heartedly recomend but that one is definitely in the top five of my list. Do you have any of his Live at the Five Spot recordings?

I have Volume II, but I've only played it once, in a car, so I can't even really say anything about it, except that I'm looking forward to spending some time with it.
Jimbo wrote:Look, all I know is pretty much what I get from Robert Parry over at Consortium News.

Six String
Posts: 20059
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 20:22

Re: The Jazz Workshop

Postby Six String » 04 Mar 2011, 00:30

With Dolphy I have to be in the mood but there's few that scratch that itch as well as he does when I am.
For a less intense but still thrilling experience I direct you to two Oliver Nelson lps, The Blues and the Abstact Truth and Screamin' the Blues (my personal favorite). Screamin' the Blues also has some searing playing from Mr. Nelson as well.

Six String
Posts: 20059
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 20:22

Re: The Jazz Workshop

Postby Six String » 04 Mar 2011, 00:48

British Jazz fans, I saw a Neil Ardley album Kaleidescope of ___________ (Can't remember the rest) today on lp.
It's a double lp and I almost picked it up. The thought of synthesizers concerned me but I might have still bought it except there were way too many choices of things I new more about. Did I miss something?

User avatar
Spec
Posts: 10387
Joined: 20 Aug 2003, 11:58
Location: UK
Contact:

Re: The Jazz Workshop

Postby Spec » 04 Mar 2011, 09:12

Six String wrote:British Jazz fans, I saw a Neil Ardley album Kaleidescope of ___________ (Can't remember the rest) today on lp.
It's a double lp and I almost picked it up. The thought of synthesizers concerned me but I might have still bought it except there were way too many choices of things I new more about. Did I miss something?



...Rainbows.

I think Balboa is a big fan of this.

Six String
Posts: 20059
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 20:22

Re: The Jazz Workshop

Postby Six String » 04 Mar 2011, 17:43

Specbebop wrote:
Six String wrote:British Jazz fans, I saw a Neil Ardley album Kaleidescope of ___________ (Can't remember the rest) today on lp.
It's a double lp and I almost picked it up. The thought of synthesizers concerned me but I might have still bought it except there were way too many choices of things I new more about. Did I miss something?



...Rainbows.

I think Balboa is a big fan of this.


Yes, that's it. Thanks. This version I saw was an "audiophile" vinyl pressing with an original price of $49 for the two lp set but reduced to $25. I had way to many lps in my hands and I wasn't williing to give any of them up for that album so I passed. If it's still there in a few weeks when I go back to get my new cartridge I might pick it up.

User avatar
gash on ignore
cultural defective
Posts: 16441
Joined: 29 Sep 2007, 00:32
Location: lording it

Re: The Jazz Workshop

Postby gash on ignore » 08 Mar 2011, 00:18

It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man.

Diamond Dog wrote:I could of course be talking bollocks... let's see what any musicians have to say


User avatar
fange
Posts: 12232
Joined: 20 Jan 2010, 11:30
Location: 香港

Re: The Jazz Workshop

Postby fange » 08 Mar 2011, 00:44

neville harp wrote:http://shop.uniqlo.com/uk/store/clothing/blue-note-records/men/


Cheers, Neville. Just checked online and the HK stores are stocking them too. That's my summer T-shirts sorted then!
Jonny Spencer wrote:
fange wrote:I've got my quad pants on and i'm ready for some Cock.


By CHRIST you're a man after my own sideways sausage, Ange!

Six String
Posts: 20059
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 20:22

Re: The Jazz Workshop

Postby Six String » 09 Mar 2011, 04:37

Most of those shirts don't really work for me but I do like the In n Out and Idle Moments shirts, especially the former. :D

User avatar
Spec
Posts: 10387
Joined: 20 Aug 2003, 11:58
Location: UK
Contact:

Re: The Jazz Workshop

Postby Spec » 09 Mar 2011, 14:28

Image

I like most things that Jarrett records whether it is solo (long form), solo (shorter pieces as in the most recent concerts), trio, or in other combinations. But I think this is one of the more interesting albums he has recorded. It is the trio in first class improvising form. The connection between the three players is as good as it has ever been and the music is always surprising.

Favourite moments: Tributaries which locks into the hypnotic groove and Relay

Six String
Posts: 20059
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 20:22

Re: The Jazz Workshop

Postby Six String » 09 Mar 2011, 16:39

In recent years I have been enjoying his Standards Trio recordings more than his solo outings and I'm speaking of the more recent releases not older stuff. The trio is really special due to their fearless approach to improvising which really shows on their live recordings. I don't have that recording you mentioned but Tributaries sounds familiar to me. Have they recorded that before?

Six String
Posts: 20059
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 20:22

Re: The Jazz Workshop

Postby Six String » 09 Mar 2011, 16:41

In recent years I have been enjoying his Standards Trio recordings more than his solo outings and I'm speaking of the more recent releases not older stuff. The trio is really special due to their fearless approach to improvising which really shows on their live recordings. I don't have that recording you mentioned but Tributaries sounds familiar to me. Have they recorded that before?

User avatar
Spec
Posts: 10387
Joined: 20 Aug 2003, 11:58
Location: UK
Contact:

Re: The Jazz Workshop

Postby Spec » 09 Mar 2011, 16:58

Six String wrote:In recent years I have been enjoying his Standards Trio recordings more than his solo outings and I'm speaking of the more recent releases not older stuff. The trio is really special due to their fearless approach to improvising which really shows on their live recordings. I don't have that recording you mentioned but Tributaries sounds familiar to me. Have they recorded that before?


I don't think so.

Always Let Me Go (which is live in Tokyo) is unusual in the catalogue in that it doesn't rely on standards. I can't think of another album by the Trio like it.

User avatar
gash on ignore
cultural defective
Posts: 16441
Joined: 29 Sep 2007, 00:32
Location: lording it

Re: The Jazz Workshop

Postby gash on ignore » 09 Mar 2011, 17:08

Snarfyguy wrote:Image

I'm a sucker for Vibraphone, be it MJQ, Bobby Hutcherson on Out to Lunch, Gong or whatever. This is a pretty sweet set, very funky and electric. Nice for a Sunday afternoon.


Have you heard Gary Burton & Keith Jarrett or Throb - both excellent, big-boned outings, Throb has tunes by Britjazz (actually South African) hero Mike Gibbs.
It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man.

Diamond Dog wrote:I could of course be talking bollocks... let's see what any musicians have to say


User avatar
Balboa
Posts: 17579
Joined: 17 Jul 2003, 13:31

Re: The Jazz Workshop

Postby Balboa » 09 Mar 2011, 17:47

Specbebop wrote:Image

I like most things that Jarrett records whether it is solo (long form), solo (shorter pieces as in the most recent concerts), trio, or in other combinations. But I think this is one of the more interesting albums he has recorded. It is the trio in first class improvising form. The connection between the three players is as good as it has ever been and the music is always surprising.

Favourite moments: Tributaries which locks into the hypnotic groove and Relay


I think it is brilliant and a real eye opener for those who only know him form the standards repertoire. They really cook on this album and I came to it with no expectations whatsoever.

I would love to hear him recreate something like this live - there are some really far out moments.
Of course, I was mostly stoned at the time.