Paul Simon: Genius or Wanker?

Backslapping time. Well done us. We are fantastic.

Paul Simon: Genius or Wanker?

Genius.
35
64%
Wanker.
20
36%
 
Total votes: 55

User avatar
Buddha B-Rex
Posts: 3237
Joined: 01 Mar 2007, 14:57
Location: Down by the river...
Contact:

Paul Simon: Genius or Wanker?

Postby Buddha B-Rex » 03 Jul 2007, 14:51

I'm curious to know what this group thinks.

The question was prompted by an old argument over whether or not 'Me and Julio (Down by The Schoolyard)' is a great song or worse-than-death. For the sake of the argument, please choose one or the other.

And, btw, I'm American (YAY!), but I've completely copped the term 'wanker', as I find it to be one of the world's most perfect words.
Freak out. Far out.

User avatar
Count Machuki
BCB Cup Champion 2013
Posts: 37299
Joined: 11 Jun 2005, 15:28
Location: 22,300 miles above the Earth

Postby Count Machuki » 03 Jul 2007, 14:52

this has the potential to be a great thread...now, where's that wanker option?
Let U be the set of all united sets, K be the set of the kids and D be the set of things divided.
Then it follows that ∀ k ∈ K: K ∈ U ⇒ k ∉ D

User avatar
Sea Of Tunes
down the drain
Posts: 19092
Joined: 17 Jul 2003, 17:44
Location: 5 Star Member - It's Official
Contact:

Postby Sea Of Tunes » 03 Jul 2007, 14:53

Neither of the two. He is an integer, very good musician, and a great composer. 'Bookends' testifies to that. No need to tramp him in the mud. Sadly, 'Graceland' has become overfamiliar to these ears. But, despite the fact that I am not a Simon nutter, I admire him.
It is not down on any map. True places never are.

User avatar
Buddha B-Rex
Posts: 3237
Joined: 01 Mar 2007, 14:57
Location: Down by the river...
Contact:

Postby Buddha B-Rex » 03 Jul 2007, 14:54

I grudgingly go with 'genius'. Too many great pop classics. Graceland seals the deal.

Make your case.
Freak out. Far out.

User avatar
brotherlouie
AKA Number 16 Bus Shelter
Posts: 23132
Joined: 03 Oct 2004, 18:24
Location: In a library, probly.
Contact:

Postby brotherlouie » 03 Jul 2007, 14:57

By polarising opinion you will of course be lumping those that think him a fine songwriter with those that think him a genuine genius.

I fall in the former camp. I admire his application and attention to detail. He treats his art as a craft, if you like.

He's written some truly great songs and I wouldn't bet against him doing so in the future.

User avatar
Buddha B-Rex
Posts: 3237
Joined: 01 Mar 2007, 14:57
Location: Down by the river...
Contact:

Postby Buddha B-Rex » 03 Jul 2007, 14:57

Buddha-B. Rex wrote:For the sake of the argument, please choose one or the other.


Sea Of Tunes wrote:Neither of the two. He is an integer, very good musician, and a great composer. 'Bookends' testifies to that. No need to tramp him in the mud. Sadly, 'Graceland' has become overfamiliar to these ears. But, despite the fact that I am not a Simon nutter, I admire him.


:roll:

C'mon...pick a side!
Freak out. Far out.

User avatar
Count Machuki
BCB Cup Champion 2013
Posts: 37299
Joined: 11 Jun 2005, 15:28
Location: 22,300 miles above the Earth

Postby Count Machuki » 03 Jul 2007, 14:57

Buddha-B. Rex wrote:Make your case.


he's a yutz.



i think i'll lay out for a minute and let the good people of BCB confirm this.
Let U be the set of all united sets, K be the set of the kids and D be the set of things divided.
Then it follows that ∀ k ∈ K: K ∈ U ⇒ k ∉ D

User avatar
Buddha B-Rex
Posts: 3237
Joined: 01 Mar 2007, 14:57
Location: Down by the river...
Contact:

Postby Buddha B-Rex » 03 Jul 2007, 15:00

brotherlouie wrote:By polarising opinion you will of course be lumping those that think him a fine songwriter with those that think him a genuine genius.



Fair enough, it's just fun sport to stir the pot.
Freak out. Far out.

User avatar
Buddha B-Rex
Posts: 3237
Joined: 01 Mar 2007, 14:57
Location: Down by the river...
Contact:

Postby Buddha B-Rex » 03 Jul 2007, 15:01

count machuki wrote:
Buddha-B. Rex wrote:Make your case.


he's a yutz.



i think i'll lay out for a minute and let the good people of BCB confirm this.


Define 'yutz' without using the words 'Paul Simon'.

Side question: Is Me and Julio one of his 'great' songs?
Freak out. Far out.

User avatar
Count Machuki
BCB Cup Champion 2013
Posts: 37299
Joined: 11 Jun 2005, 15:28
Location: 22,300 miles above the Earth

Postby Count Machuki » 03 Jul 2007, 15:01

Buddha-B. Rex wrote:
brotherlouie wrote:By polarising opinion you will of course be lumping those that think him a fine songwriter with those that think him a genuine genius.



Fair enough, it's just fun sport to stir the pot.


...and what about those of us who think he's a yutz?
Let U be the set of all united sets, K be the set of the kids and D be the set of things divided.
Then it follows that ∀ k ∈ K: K ∈ U ⇒ k ∉ D

User avatar
Buddha B-Rex
Posts: 3237
Joined: 01 Mar 2007, 14:57
Location: Down by the river...
Contact:

Postby Buddha B-Rex » 03 Jul 2007, 15:03

Bump.

count machuki wrote:
Buddha-B. Rex wrote:Make your case.


he's a yutz.



i think i'll lay out for a minute and let the good people of BCB confirm this.


Define 'yutz' without using the words 'Paul Simon'.

Side question: Is Me and Julio one of his 'great' songs?
Freak out. Far out.

User avatar
Count Machuki
BCB Cup Champion 2013
Posts: 37299
Joined: 11 Jun 2005, 15:28
Location: 22,300 miles above the Earth

Postby Count Machuki » 03 Jul 2007, 15:04

Buddha-B. Rex wrote:
count machuki wrote:
Buddha-B. Rex wrote:Make your case.


he's a yutz.



i think i'll lay out for a minute and let the good people of BCB confirm this.


Define 'yutz' without using the words 'Paul Simon'.

?


schlump, zhlub, schnook, schmendrick, schmo, nayfish...whaddaya want here?
Let U be the set of all united sets, K be the set of the kids and D be the set of things divided.
Then it follows that ∀ k ∈ K: K ∈ U ⇒ k ∉ D

Bungo the Mungo

Postby Bungo the Mungo » 03 Jul 2007, 15:04

I don't know much about him as a person at all, but I suspect he's a bit of a tool.

To be honest, the affection people have for Graceland and its featherlite African pop songs is completely beyond my comprehension. And 'You Can Call Me Al' is honestly one of the twenty worst songs I've ever heard in my life.

User avatar
Count Machuki
BCB Cup Champion 2013
Posts: 37299
Joined: 11 Jun 2005, 15:28
Location: 22,300 miles above the Earth

Postby Count Machuki » 03 Jul 2007, 15:06

Sir John Coan wrote:
To be honest, the affection people have for Graceland and its featherlite African pop songs is completely beyond my comprehension. And 'You Can Call Me Al' is honestly one of the twenty worst songs I've ever heard in my life.


is correct. cultural imperialism in the worst, most exploitative way.
Let U be the set of all united sets, K be the set of the kids and D be the set of things divided.
Then it follows that ∀ k ∈ K: K ∈ U ⇒ k ∉ D

User avatar
Buddha B-Rex
Posts: 3237
Joined: 01 Mar 2007, 14:57
Location: Down by the river...
Contact:

Postby Buddha B-Rex » 03 Jul 2007, 15:15

What a silly thing to say. Paul Simon...worse than Hitler?
Freak out. Far out.

User avatar
Count Machuki
BCB Cup Champion 2013
Posts: 37299
Joined: 11 Jun 2005, 15:28
Location: 22,300 miles above the Earth

Postby Count Machuki » 03 Jul 2007, 15:17

before a quick edit, Buddha-B. Rex wrote:What a silly thing to say. Worse than slavery?


CULTURAL imperialism. way to take it out of context, there, nitz.

wiki can start you off as you persue this blind spot in your education.[/condescending] :wink:

Cultural imperialism is the practice of promoting, distinguishing, separating, or artificially injecting the culture or language of one nation into another. It is usually the case that the former is a large, economically or militarily powerful nation and the latter is a smaller, less affluent one. Cultural imperialism can take the form of an active, formal policy or a general attitude. The term is usually used in a pejorative sense, usually in conjunction with a call to reject foreign influence.


bold mine
Last edited by Count Machuki on 03 Jul 2007, 15:19, edited 1 time in total.
Let U be the set of all united sets, K be the set of the kids and D be the set of things divided.
Then it follows that ∀ k ∈ K: K ∈ U ⇒ k ∉ D

Prez!
Stern Victorian Ponce
Posts: 8077
Joined: 21 Apr 2004, 13:39
Location: 51.816831° N -0.812436° E
Contact:

Postby Prez! » 03 Jul 2007, 15:19

I'm with S.O.T. here, as a musician/songwriter, he is undoubtedly talented, as a person, he's probably a bit of a prick.

Genius/Wanker? Flattering to him to be that extreme.

User avatar
Buddha B-Rex
Posts: 3237
Joined: 01 Mar 2007, 14:57
Location: Down by the river...
Contact:

Postby Buddha B-Rex » 03 Jul 2007, 15:21

count machuki wrote:
before a quick edit, Buddha-B. Rex wrote:What a silly thing to say. Worse than slavery?


CULTURAL imperialism. way to take it out of context, there, nitz.

wiki can start you off as you persue this blind spot in your education.[/condescending] :wink:

Cultural imperialism is the practice of promoting, distinguishing, separating, or artificially injecting the culture or language of one nation into another. It is usually the case that the former is a large, economically or militarily powerful nation and the latter is a smaller, less affluent one. Cultural imperialism can take the form of an active, formal policy or a general attitude. The term is usually used in a pejorative sense, usually in conjunction with a call to reject foreign influence.


bold mine


Artificially inject deez nutz in your mouth, botch!

Paul Simon is a 'Genius' and I'll kill any man who says otherwise! RAAAAUUUGGGHHH!!! Buddha SMASH!!!!
Freak out. Far out.

User avatar
Count Machuki
BCB Cup Champion 2013
Posts: 37299
Joined: 11 Jun 2005, 15:28
Location: 22,300 miles above the Earth

Postby Count Machuki » 03 Jul 2007, 15:23

Buddha-B. Rex wrote:
count machuki wrote:
before a quick edit, Buddha-B. Rex wrote:What a silly thing to say. Worse than slavery?


CULTURAL imperialism. way to take it out of context, there, nitz.

wiki can start you off as you persue this blind spot in your education.[/condescending] :wink:

Cultural imperialism is the practice of promoting, distinguishing, separating, or artificially injecting the culture or language of one nation into another. It is usually the case that the former is a large, economically or militarily powerful nation and the latter is a smaller, less affluent one. Cultural imperialism can take the form of an active, formal policy or a general attitude. The term is usually used in a pejorative sense, usually in conjunction with a call to reject foreign influence.


bold mine


Artificially inject deez nutz in your mouth, botch!

Paul Simon is a 'Genius' and I'll kill any man who says otherwise! RAAAAUUUGGGHHH!!! Buddha SMASH!!!!


:lol:

he's still a putz...now, paul SIMONON: bass god.
Let U be the set of all united sets, K be the set of the kids and D be the set of things divided.
Then it follows that ∀ k ∈ K: K ∈ U ⇒ k ∉ D

User avatar
Buddha B-Rex
Posts: 3237
Joined: 01 Mar 2007, 14:57
Location: Down by the river...
Contact:

Postby Buddha B-Rex » 03 Jul 2007, 15:25

Wait...I thought he was a 'yutz'. There's a difference between a 'yutz' and a 'putz', you know...and I think the proper spelling is 'schlub' not zhlub'. [/pedant]
Freak out. Far out.