CHICAGO - MAY 25th WEEKEND - 2007: JUotA

Backslapping time. Well done us. We are fantastic.
User avatar
Very Stable Baron
Diamond Geezer
Posts: 42140
Joined: 18 Jul 2003, 05:38
Location: Impregnable Citadel of Technicality

Postby Very Stable Baron » 01 Jun 2007, 01:33

"Most unique" is nonsense. Whether you're talking about New Orleans or not.

Read Hatz's post up aways.
take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

User avatar
kath
Groovy Queen of the Cosmos
Posts: 33571
Joined: 22 Feb 2006, 15:20
Location: bama via new orleans

Postby kath » 01 Jun 2007, 01:35

toomanyhatz wrote:Pedantic, I know, but I think his point was that the definition of "unique" is that there's only one- therefore something can't be "most" unique- it's either unique or it isn't.


yer kidding me, right? what bullcrap. i was sitting here about to explain how uniqueness is indeed a relative concept, when i realized i'd rather make a cheesecake.

on second thought, i think i'll let someone else handle the tour for the pedantic types. i'll take everybody else on the fucque-the-map-where's-the-cheesecake tour.

yum.

User avatar
Very Stable Baron
Diamond Geezer
Posts: 42140
Joined: 18 Jul 2003, 05:38
Location: Impregnable Citadel of Technicality

Postby Very Stable Baron » 01 Jun 2007, 01:43

kath wrote:
toomanyhatz wrote:Pedantic, I know, but I think his point was that the definition of "unique" is that there's only one- therefore something can't be "most" unique- it's either unique or it isn't.


yer kidding me, right? what bullcrap. i was sitting here about to explain how uniqueness is indeed a relative concept, when i realized i'd rather make a cheesecake.


I blame Goldwax.
No way I'd ever be so neurotic and petty.
take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

User avatar
toomanyhatz
Power-mad king of the WCC
Posts: 26352
Joined: 07 Apr 2005, 00:01
Location: Just east of where Charlie Parker went to do some relaxin'

Postby toomanyhatz » 01 Jun 2007, 01:56

Baron wrote:
kath wrote:
toomanyhatz wrote:Pedantic, I know, but I think his point was that the definition of "unique" is that there's only one- therefore something can't be "most" unique- it's either unique or it isn't.


yer kidding me, right? what bullcrap. i was sitting here about to explain how uniqueness is indeed a relative concept, when i realized i'd rather make a cheesecake.


I blame Goldwax.
No way I'd ever be so neurotic and petty.


Although he's right. And it's always been a pet peeve of mine. Uniqueness is technically not a relative concept, though it's often used that way.

But I have many things I'd rather be neurotic and petty about, personally.

And I'd like a slice of that cheesecake when you're done, too. :wink:
sloopjohnc wrote:Aslan has some good credenitals - got his BA from Santa Clara, a Jesuit school and his Masters from Harvard and PhD from Santa Barbara, a surfing school.


1959 1963 1965 1966 1974 1977 1978 1981 1988 2017!

The Modernist

Postby The Modernist » 01 Jun 2007, 08:18

The meanings of words adapt and develop all the time as they have to. "most unique" might sound like a tautology but it isn't. If all the cities are similar but there's one which is quite different to the rest then of course it can be described as "most unique".
To argue otherwise is to misunderstand the way language works. So there!

User avatar
Sambient
Posts: 16602
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 14:56
Location: Nerdvana

Postby Sambient » 01 Jun 2007, 11:16

Velvis wrote: (I can't refuse her)


Sure, now he says that. :twisted:

User avatar
Velvis
Mellowed down easy
Posts: 15801
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 23:21
Location: on Grand Street, where the neon madmen climb

Postby Velvis » 01 Jun 2007, 11:22

Sambient wrote:
Velvis wrote: (I can't refuse her)


Sure, now he says that. :twisted:


I learned my lesson.

User avatar
The Fish
Beer Battered
Posts: 12231
Joined: 24 Oct 2003, 20:04
Location: Hove Actually

Postby The Fish » 01 Jun 2007, 11:31

Corporate Whore wrote:
Baron wrote:
The Fish wrote:I wasted the majority of the day trying to get to Reckless Records in Wicker Park.


Did you go to the one in the vicinity of the hotels? I think it was on Broadway.


D'oh - thats the one I was at.


I should point out that I did in fact succeed (eventually) and dollars did indeed pass hands, 148 of them to be exact.

The plan was, being in Wicker Park, I might find a phone I could use with a credit card to get hold of Griff and Kid. No such luck and they weren't even staying in Wicker Park :roll:

Oh well, back home now. Great time (as expected). Good to meet the new faces. A word of advice - If you're going to diss Gram Parsons in Cosmic American Girl's company, make sure you're out of range. I distinctly remember the phrase "One more shot of whiskey and I'll take all of you fuckers on" mentioned. Baron (in one of those "guess you had to be there" moments) is responsible for my current sig. Maybe Amy Winehouse could record that - Tried to make me go past rhubarb, I said No No No.
We're way past rhubarb

User avatar
German Dave
Utter Cad
Posts: 50268
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 21:22
Location: 16 Beasley Street

Postby German Dave » 01 Jun 2007, 11:48

just got home. knackered. going to bed.
kewl klive wrote:A deluxe Sandinista! was pulled when only one outtake could be found.


User avatar
The Fish
Beer Battered
Posts: 12231
Joined: 24 Oct 2003, 20:04
Location: Hove Actually

Postby The Fish » 01 Jun 2007, 18:47

sidhe wrote:makes me want to venture over the big lake and do the big one sometime.


The big one reacting to the news yesterday....

Image
We're way past rhubarb

User avatar
Megh
tamagotchi girlfriend
Posts: 2783
Joined: 02 Mar 2004, 16:01
Location: Murderapolis
Contact:

Postby Megh » 01 Jun 2007, 19:05

So I can stay with you?

User avatar
The Fish
Beer Battered
Posts: 12231
Joined: 24 Oct 2003, 20:04
Location: Hove Actually

Postby The Fish » 01 Jun 2007, 19:10

sidhe wrote:So I can stay with you?


Oo, you minx :D
We're way past rhubarb

User avatar
Megh
tamagotchi girlfriend
Posts: 2783
Joined: 02 Mar 2004, 16:01
Location: Murderapolis
Contact:

Postby Megh » 01 Jun 2007, 19:24

That's a yes?

User avatar
The Fish
Beer Battered
Posts: 12231
Joined: 24 Oct 2003, 20:04
Location: Hove Actually

Postby The Fish » 01 Jun 2007, 19:32

Somebody is going to post the "get a room" response soon, but I guess that's what you are trying to do :lol:

I don't actually live in London but close enough

[can of worms]So when are you coming[/can of worms]
We're way past rhubarb

User avatar
Megh
tamagotchi girlfriend
Posts: 2783
Joined: 02 Mar 2004, 16:01
Location: Murderapolis
Contact:

Postby Megh » 01 Jun 2007, 19:35

The Fish wrote:Somebody is going to post the "get a room" response soon, but I guess that's what you are trying to do :lol:

I don't actually live in London but close enough

[can of worms]So when are you coming[/can of worms]


Well, I don't know -- I suppose for one of the big London ones at some point.

User avatar
Jock
Posts: 9254
Joined: 31 Dec 2005, 10:59
Location: Guid aul' Killie

Postby Jock » 01 Jun 2007, 20:27

The Fish wrote:
sidhe wrote:So I can stay with you?


Oo, you minx :D

I thought I was to stay with you for a London JU :lol:
Always Cheated Never Defeated

User avatar
German Dave
Utter Cad
Posts: 50268
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 21:22
Location: 16 Beasley Street

Postby German Dave » 02 Jun 2007, 11:05

kid p has finally just fucked off home after nine days in my company. i declare this jolly up officially over.
kewl klive wrote:A deluxe Sandinista! was pulled when only one outtake could be found.


moonie

Postby moonie » 02 Jun 2007, 20:28

The Very Reverend Giraffe wrote:kid p has finally just fucked off home after nine days in my company. i declare this jolly up officially over.


I'm glad that everyone made it home okay. I had a wonderful time meeting you and Kid, and all the new folks, and catching up with everyone else...

I'm saving for next year!

User avatar
German Dave
Utter Cad
Posts: 50268
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 21:22
Location: 16 Beasley Street

Postby German Dave » 03 Jun 2007, 03:15

i seriously doubt i can make it. :(

even now, i know this was a one-off thing. i shall never forget it, though.

it truly was a blast and a half. thanks to everyone for being part of the mayhem. it's appreciated.
kewl klive wrote:A deluxe Sandinista! was pulled when only one outtake could be found.


User avatar
Megh
tamagotchi girlfriend
Posts: 2783
Joined: 02 Mar 2004, 16:01
Location: Murderapolis
Contact:

Postby Megh » 03 Jun 2007, 16:21

The Very Reverend Giraffe wrote:kid p has finally just fucked off home after nine days in my company. i declare this jolly up officially over.


He's going to need some serious therapy. :-D