Im off

Backslapping time. Well done us. We are fantastic.
Oscar
Northern Taoist

Postby Oscar » 14 Jun 2006, 14:43

Sir David Quelm Essex OBE wrote:He's a normal lad. There are millions like him. It's us that are the freaks. Never lose sight of that fact.

On you go.

This is actually a very accurate statement. In my own work and in social settings I used to be surrounded by people who were fairly enlightened about acceptable attitudes and behaviour and that gives you the impression that society as a whole is becoming socially cohesive. Since I've moved back into a comunity I'm having a lot more contact with 'normal' people - which is great - but I have found that racial intolerance seems to be more strained now that at any time that I can remember. I think recent issues about immigration and obviously the recent acts of terrorism have stretched people's tolerance to breaking point. I feel very much the odd one out when these issues are raised. :(

DQ

Postby DQ » 14 Jun 2006, 14:46

But formal educators wouldn't be much use if they spent all their time in the staffroom aggreing with each other, as community educators aren't much use if they spend their lives in the wine bar with colleagues agreeing with each other.

Obviously, it's landed you right in the middle of a challenge.

Bungo the Mungo

Postby Bungo the Mungo » 14 Jun 2006, 15:06

Cognitive Recalcitrance wrote:But formal educators wouldn't be much use if they spent all their time in the staffroom aggreing with each other, as community educators aren't much use if they spend their lives in the wine bar with colleagues agreeing with each other.

Exactly.

That was the cheap perfume smell I was starting to get from the whole self-righteous discussion anyway.

Some people here have led very sheltered lives indeed.

bhoywonder
The Magnificent

Postby bhoywonder » 14 Jun 2006, 15:16

Sir David Quelm Essex OBE wrote:
Cognitive Recalcitrance wrote:But formal educators wouldn't be much use if they spent all their time in the staffroom aggreing with each other, as community educators aren't much use if they spend their lives in the wine bar with colleagues agreeing with each other.

Exactly.

That was the cheap perfume smell I was starting to get from the whole self-righteous discussion anyway.

Again with the 'some people'. Why don't you just say who you mean?

Bungo the Mungo

Postby Bungo the Mungo » 14 Jun 2006, 15:25

Price of Pies wrote:
Sir David Quelm Essex OBE wrote:

Exactly.

Again with the 'some people'. Why don't you just say who you mean?

I don't remember names. And anyway, like I say, it was an overall smell I got. A tone.

If I knew names, would you expect me to list them anyway? The following people are guilty of social elitism: :roll:

Minnie, Boss of Appropriate Posting

Postby Minnie, Boss of Appropriate Posting » 14 Jun 2006, 15:50

I'm as opinionated a wanky liberal as the next opinionated wanky liberal and am as capable as the next opinionated wanky liberal of making potential misjudgements about the personalities of people.

But when I move out of wanky opinionated liberal mode is when people whom I don't really know suggest to me I should be a bit ashamed for mixing with the wrong crowd, tut tut.

It's not whatever the crowd did..that I can deal with on my own.

I won't be patronised though into feeling that I SHOULD have specific sentiments towards someone..that is what has irked me, today.

yomptepi
BCB thumbscrew of Justice

Postby yomptepi » 14 Jun 2006, 17:01

Its all just goping around in the dark, looking to be offended.

Case closed I say.
You don't like me...do you?

JQW

Postby JQW » 14 Jun 2006, 17:24

It's gone to 30 pages and no-one has yet pointed out the grammatical error in the thread title!
The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. - Bertrand Russell

jude
Turkey Boy (and destroyer of Spam Filters)
Location: Near Bradford's surrounding areas which encompass the city of Bradford (A small village near Leeds)

Postby jude » 14 Jun 2006, 18:15

JQW wrote:It's gone to 30 pages and no-one has yet pointed out the grammatical error in the thread title!
I gave up pointing out Swordy's grammatical errors a while ago. It was getting to the point where i nearly needed to take time off work. I'd of pointed it out if i'd of known it would cause such offence.
Betty Denim wrote:And, quite frankly, if I had been raped and you said to me 'well yeah, it's crap innit; it's like that time I had to have a turnip curry' I'd do more than insult you.

Oscar
Northern Taoist

Postby Oscar » 14 Jun 2006, 19:35

Oh bollocks to that! I've been challenging prejudice, discrimination and oppression all my life and now I just want to go out and have a pint..... or two .... without having to talk someone out of voting BNP at the next election.

beenieman

Postby beenieman » 14 Jun 2006, 19:47

Has his account been closed yet so that someone can pick up his name or is it being retired - like a top player's football jersey.

I think the name of Captain Sword should carry on but who's going to pick up the moniker?

Think of the possibilities for how he could be bought back?

yomptepi
BCB thumbscrew of Justice

Postby yomptepi » 14 Jun 2006, 19:50

Oscar wrote:

Oh bollocks to that! I've been challenging prejudice, discrimination and oppression all my life and now I just want to go out and have a pint..... or two .... without having to talk someone out of voting BNP at the next election.

Move to rural Buckinghamshire, where no-one ever even considers voting anything other than conservative. No parties on the margin,no neo nazi hotbeds of conspiracy and intrigue. Just Real ale and Pimms as the sun goes down on another lazy day....
You don't like me...do you?

Minnie, Boss of Appropriate Posting

Postby Minnie, Boss of Appropriate Posting » 14 Jun 2006, 21:54

Onto more pressing issues...what is Smamfs latest avatar, I cant make it out.

Haaai thank you.

Tapiocahead

Postby Tapiocahead » 14 Jun 2006, 22:22

Minnie the Minx wrote:Onto more pressing issues...what is Smamfs latest avatar, I cant make it out.

Haaai thank you.

Beth Orton?
Fishstick selling fuck

toomanyhatz
Power-mad king of the WCC
Location: Just east of where Charlie Parker went to do some relaxin'

Postby toomanyhatz » 15 Jun 2006, 00:09

JQW wrote:It's gone to 30 pages and no-one has yet pointed out the grammatical error in the thread title!

I figured he was just saying his Instant Messenger was turned off.
Footy wrote:
The Who / Jimi Hendrix Experience Saville Theatre, London Jan '67
. Got Jimi's autograph after the show and went on to see him several times that year

1959 1963 1965 1966 1974 1977 1978 1981 1988 2017* 2018 2020!! 2023?

beenieman

Postby beenieman » 15 Jun 2006, 00:42

We wouldve if wed noticed it.

Oscar
Northern Taoist

Postby Oscar » 15 Jun 2006, 08:13

Unlucky Bear wrote:
Oscar wrote:

Move to rural Buckinghamshire, where no-one ever even considers voting anything other than conservative. No parties on the margin,no neo nazi hotbeds of conspiracy and intrigue. Just Real ale and Pimms as the sun goes down on another lazy day....

I'd rather stick needles in my eyes. I think the middle classes have the same prejudices but they're naturally good at lying. Also, they started all this in the first place.

River Man
Beyond Help

Postby River Man » 15 Jun 2006, 10:52

So the big question is will he return as Swordy or a new identity. I'm sure he'll come to the conclusion that he's not going to let a few wanky liberals (like me) stop him from talking shite about Simple Minds :D . Suggestions for new names? Be careful folk.
BCB fop

Oscar
Northern Taoist

Postby Oscar » 15 Jun 2006, 11:08

River Man wrote:So the big question is will he return as Swordy or a new identity. I'm sure he'll come to the conclusion that he's not going to let a few wanky liberals (like me) stop him from talking shite about Simple Minds :D . Suggestions for new names? Be careful folk.

Pork Sword. I think that was his name on The Q4music forum. I thought that he'd taken it from an Elvis Costello lyric (I can't remember which one now) which would have been quite cool but I know, realistically that he chose it because it's slang for a penis.

Delgado

Postby Delgado » 15 Jun 2006, 13:16

Im orf ?
"I don't want to see a ghost/It's the sight I fear most/I'd rather have a piece of toast"

Return to “Classic Threads & Treasury of Mirth”