So, "Crazy" by Gnarls Barkley, then.........

Backslapping time. Well done us. We are fantastic.
Carl's Son
Grade A Shitpipe

Postby Carl's Son » 23 Apr 2006, 00:43

Owen wrote:
Chris Chopping wrote:Although interesting, when i found out that Snow Patrol had recorded a track called Velocity Girl that wasn't a a version of the Primal Scream song I thought they were a bigger bunch of wankers than ever.

how would you have felt if it was the PS song?

hmmm, good question. I woulda thought fair play for covering a decent song. Shame you made such a mess of it! (I'm assuming). If they did a decent job I might even download a copy and think fair play to them. Make myself a little ep with the two other snow patrol tracks I like.

Their song of the same name is rubbish.
I can just about handle you driving like a pissed up crackhead and treating women like beanbags but I'm gonna say this once and once only Gene, stay out of Camberwick Green!

www.chrischopping.virb.com

http://thatidiotchrischopping.blogspot.com

Penk!
Midnight to Six Man

Postby Penk! » 23 Apr 2006, 00:49

Is it wrong to actually like Run? Nothing else they've ever done has made any impression on me but I thought that one was a fine song, their Yellow perhaps. They pulled off the big anthemic singalong thing as well as anyone else you'd care to name has in recent years, the chorus sounded genuine enough to work and had a good melody.
fange wrote:One of the things i really dislike in this life is people raising their voices in German.

Carl's Son
Grade A Shitpipe

Postby Carl's Son » 23 Apr 2006, 01:03

I can't remember which one Run is. Is it the 'Light Up, light Up' one? I like that one because I saw them do it at the Cardiff Millenium stadium with a whole load of other people waving little red lights. I also like Spitting Games. The new one I think is a bit shit though.

Actually though, I'm not found of Yellow. Can't Don't Panic be Coldplay's Yellow?
I can just about handle you driving like a pissed up crackhead and treating women like beanbags but I'm gonna say this once and once only Gene, stay out of Camberwick Green!

Ranking Ted

Postby Ranking Ted » 23 Apr 2006, 01:06

Chris Chopping wrote:
The Right Scarfie Profile wrote:
As for your other points, there's some digressions to make. Just looked at the tracklisting for the last Sugababes album, and it seems they have a song on it called "Joy Division," which can't be coincidental and probably refers back to what Owen was saying about how they're being geared to towards a certain subsect (namely indie fans who are slightly suspicious about the "pop" music but can be told what to like).

Although interesting, when i found out that Snow Patrol had recorded a track called Velocity Girl that wasn't a a version of the Primal Scream song I thought they were a bigger bunch of wankers than ever.

Back to Sugababes for a peripheral point but the B-side of (the ace) Red Dress is a cover of I Bet You Look Good On The Dancefloor. Its mince but gives credence to the view that they're being positioned as this years 'girl band its ok to like'.

Penk!
Midnight to Six Man

Postby Penk! » 23 Apr 2006, 01:12

Chris Chopping wrote:I can't remember which one Run is. Is it the 'Light Up, light Up' one? I like that one because I saw them do it at the Cardiff Millenium stadium with a whole load of other people waving little red lights. I also like Spitting Games. The new one I think is a bit shit though.

Actually though, I'm not found of Yellow. Can't Don't Panic be Coldplay's Yellow?

:)

I guess Coldplay are just one of those bands where you like the first one you hear then realise all the rest are exactly the same.
And yeah, Run's the "light up" one, I remember being quite excited by it when it first came out but then like with Yellow everything else I heard by them was insipid toss so I kind of put it to the back of my mind in a kind of "I bet I didn't like it that much anyway" way.
fange wrote:One of the things i really dislike in this life is people raising their voices in German.

The Write Profile
2017 BCB Cup Champ

Postby The Write Profile » 23 Apr 2006, 01:29

Ted Maul wrote:
Chris Chopping wrote:
As for your other points, there's some digressions to make. Just looked at the tracklisting for the last Sugababes album, and it seems they have a song on it called "Joy Division," which can't be coincidental and probably refers back to what Owen was saying about how they're being geared to towards a certain subsect (namely indie fans who are slightly suspicious about the "pop" music but can be told what to like).

Although interesting, when i found out that Snow Patrol had recorded a track called Velocity Girl that wasn't a a version of the Primal Scream song I thought they were a bigger bunch of wankers than ever.

Back to Sugababes for a peripheral point but the B-side of (the ace) Red Dress is a cover of I Bet You Look Good On The Dancefloor. Its mince but gives credence to the view that they're being positioned as this years 'girl band its ok to like'.

Yep, in fact it was played on the Student Radio station during lunch the other day (followed by, incidentally Red Dress). As for the A-side, I think again, the beat is great, really clobering and exactly the sort of strident marching shamelessness needed to override the downright silliness of it all.The video captures it nicely.
It's before my time but I've been told, he never came back from Karangahape Road.

Carl's Son
Grade A Shitpipe

Postby Carl's Son » 23 Apr 2006, 01:29

Ted Maul wrote:
Chris Chopping wrote:

On a similar note, has anyone else heard the Arctic Monkey's version of Love Machine by Girls Aloud? I know that some people get a bit fed up of patronising 'ironic' covers of pop songs by indie bands but I think this one holds up. It's a great tune to begin with and they don't try to fuck it up by making it heavy or slowing it down. They just sound really exhuberant and they start giggling two-thirds of the way through, which just reminds be of the Beatles fucking up And Your Bird Will Sing. Plus they sing all the proper lyrics, written to be sung by a woman. I've always had an affection for such things after Your Woman by White Town left befuddled me as an impressionable age.

Leg of lamb
Jane Austen enthusiast

Postby Leg of lamb » 23 Apr 2006, 01:32

I'm getting a bit fucking worried actually. I've been listening to Radio 1 loads because I've been working in the kitchen at work and even the insipid indie is starting to grow on me. I was always open to the pop and didn't have anything against the station at all - in fact I've always thought of it as a force for good, just could've done without the bland concessions to people who'd buy compilations called 'The Bands - You Know, Them Who Play Their Own Instruments And Stuff (and, er, Moby) - 2003!'

But I've fallen hard for the new Keane song. You probably have no idea how hard it is for me to type this but it's a spry little thing.

And, to make a concession to the intended topic of discussion, I was in the car with my little sister today and 'Crazy' came on the radio. It was a really great experience because I could see her being lit up by a pop song for perhaps the first time. She reminds me a lot of me anyway, but I could see the germ of a similar pop obsession to mine. Admittedly, this is a sentimental reason to get behind a song but I couldn't help but feel that a mediocre song couldn't do that. It really does seem to cut through to people who normally aren't interested in music beyond it being a background hum, and that excites me.
Brother Spoon wrote:I would probably enjoy this record more if it came to me in a brown paper bag filled with manure, instead of this richly illustrated disgrace to my eyes.

The Write Profile
2017 BCB Cup Champ

Postby The Write Profile » 23 Apr 2006, 01:36

The problem I have with ironic/sarcastic cover versions is that, if the affection for the song isn't genuine, then why tackle the number. It cheapens both the song and the band in general. Furthermore, if you do indeed like the song, then you should at least be honest about your affection rather hiding behind invisible 'inverted quotation marks.'

Not that I've heard that particular cover version- it's more of a reaction from Travis doing Baby One More Time. On the whole a boring and insipid band, replacing tackiness with smugness and losing (unbelievably) more than they've added in the process.

Knowing the AM, this cover is probably sincere, but I don't think I'd ever care to hear it. On the whole, covers should betray a certain affection for a musical style (or song), or at least take its basic template and reinterpret it in the artist's own image.

The whole 'idea' of Britney really annoys me though...
Last edited by The Write Profile on 23 Apr 2006, 02:11, edited 2 times in total.
It's before my time but I've been told, he never came back from Karangahape Road.

Carl's Son
Grade A Shitpipe

Postby Carl's Son » 23 Apr 2006, 01:39

Leg of lamb wrote:
But I've fallen hard for the new Keane song. You probably have no idea how hard it is for me to type this but it's a spry little thing.

I've not heard it but I didn't mind some of the old ones, at least until I read an interview with the producer. It was just so cynical and clinical and horrible.

Leg of lamb
Jane Austen enthusiast

Postby Leg of lamb » 23 Apr 2006, 01:41

The Right Scarfie Profile wrote:The problem I have with ironic/sarcastic cover versions is that, if the affection for the song isn't genuine, then why tackle the number. It cheapens both the song and the band in general. Furtermore, if you do indeed like the song, then you should at least be honest about your affection rather hiding behind invisible 'inverted quotation marks.'

Not that I've heard that particular cover version- it's more of a reaction from Travis doing Baby One More Time. On the whole a boring and insipid band, replacing tackiness with smugness andlosing (unbelievably) more than they've added in the process. Knowing the AM, this cover is probably sincere, but I don't think I'd ever care to hear it. On the whole, covers should betray a certain affection for a musical style (or song), or at least take its basic template and reinterpret it in the artist's own image.

Oh I actually quite liked that Travis cover. It seemed to mine into the basic insecurity of the song pretty well and it just sounded like an excellent Travis number, which I must confess I'm not averse to in theory.

Shit, all this radio really is rotting my discriminative powers!
Brother Spoon wrote:I would probably enjoy this record more if it came to me in a brown paper bag filled with manure, instead of this richly illustrated disgrace to my eyes.

Ranking Ted

Postby Ranking Ted » 23 Apr 2006, 01:43

Yeah, gotta agree with the Profile. I hate the student wankery of the type that Travis made a masterclass of with the Britney cover; it simultaneously removes the life from the original and puts Colin Hunt style red spectacles on the band. Its a Shed 7 / Carter USM / Silver Sun third division long ball tactic and it sucks. I understand Jo Whiley makes bands do this on her R1 show, which kind of sums it up.

Owen
definitely not Travolta

Postby Owen » 23 Apr 2006, 01:44

Leg of lamb wrote:And, to make a concession to the intended topic of discussion, I was in the car with my little sister today and 'Crazy' came on the radio. It was a really great experience because I could see her being lit up by a pop song for perhaps the first time. She reminds me a lot of me anyway, but I could see the germ of a similar pop obsession to mine. Admittedly, this is a sentimental reason to get behind a song but I couldn't help but feel that a mediocre song couldn't do that. It really does seem to cut through to people who normally aren't interested in music beyond it being a background hum, and that excites me.

your sister's about 16 and goes to elvis costello concerts isn't she, or do you have another one?

Leg of lamb
Jane Austen enthusiast

Postby Leg of lamb » 23 Apr 2006, 01:45

Chris Chopping wrote:
Leg of lamb wrote:

I've not heard it but I didn't mind some of the old ones, at least until I read an interview with the producer. It was just so cynical and clinical and horrible.

I loathed everything they did before and not just because I felt I had to. They sounded exactly like you said - cynical, clinical and quite horrible. But somehow they've grown unexpected muscle in unexpected places and I can only rejoice that the previously shit have been converted to the side of the angels. Maybe. I'll probably be proved wrong with the next single but I'm happy to grab a surprising thrill where I can.

Carl's Son
Grade A Shitpipe

Postby Carl's Son » 23 Apr 2006, 01:48

The Right Scarfie Profile wrote:The problem I have with ironic/sarcastic cover versions is that, if the affection for the song isn't genuine, then why tackle the number. It cheapens both the song and the band in general. Furtermore, if you do indeed like the song, then you should at least be honest about your affection rather hiding behind invisible 'inverted quotation marks.'

Not that I've heard that particular cover version- it's more of a reaction from Travis doing Baby One More Time. On the whole a boring and insipid band, replacing tackiness with smugness andlosing (unbelievably) more than they've added in the process. Knowing the AM, this cover is probably sincere, but I don't think I'd ever care to hear it. On the whole, covers should betray a certain affection for a musical style (or song), or at least take its basic template and reinterpret it in the artist's own image.

I know what you mean but I think this one is an exception. They sound like they're actually enjoying themselves, in a 'this is fun' rather than a 'look how clever we are' way. I mean, when Alex Turner giggles in it, it seems to be more amusement as thinking a woman's lyrics about being 'gift wrapped kitty cats', rather than, ha ha, we're doing a silly pop song.

Leg of lamb
Jane Austen enthusiast

Postby Leg of lamb » 23 Apr 2006, 01:48

Owen wrote:
Leg of lamb wrote:And, to make a concession to the intended topic of discussion, I was in the car with my little sister today and 'Crazy' came on the radio. It was a really great experience because I could see her being lit up by a pop song for perhaps the first time. She reminds me a lot of me anyway, but I could see the germ of a similar pop obsession to mine. Admittedly, this is a sentimental reason to get behind a song but I couldn't help but feel that a mediocre song couldn't do that. It really does seem to cut through to people who normally aren't interested in music beyond it being a background hum, and that excites me.

your sister's about 16 and goes to elvis costello concerts isn't she, or do you have another one?

Aye, another one who's 12. She likes Gorillaz, Gnarls Barkley, the Shangri-Las and 'Shiny Happy People' and that's about it, so I'm beginning to suspect that it could be a weakness for gimmicky pop rather than the inherent strength of 'Crazy' that got her excited.

Owen
definitely not Travolta

Postby Owen » 23 Apr 2006, 01:49

Leg of lamb wrote:
Owen wrote:

Aye, another one who's 12. She likes Gorillaz, Gnarls Barkley, the Shangri-Las and 'Shiny Happy People' and that's about it, so I'm beginning to suspect that it could be a weakness for gimmicky pop rather than the inherent strength of 'Crazy' that got her excited.

ah, i knew i was pissed when i met the other one but i didn't think i was that bad.

shangri-las are class though and SHP sounded great the first 9847462 times

Penk!
Midnight to Six Man

Postby Penk! » 23 Apr 2006, 01:54

I can see what you mean but I think that because the song's a typical example of style over substance - and I don't think even its biggest fans could argue it wasn't - it is going to hit people with an immediacy especially if they're not cynical and suspicious like most of us here; the average listener is just going to notice that it's really different to most pop and it has an interesting tune and on the surface is uplifting and clever, so in a way they're going to get a lot out of it without necessarily going to the depths we do to analyse the bastard. Perhaps we lose some of the joy of pop music by doing that, there's maybe something a little sterile and small about looking for pleasure in the darkest corners of baroque 70s songwriting or waiting to notice that almost inaudible background sound you just know is somewhere in the Broken Social Scene album, compared to the instantaneous euphoria of an otherwise flaky pop song with a massive happy chorus.

Leg of lamb
Jane Austen enthusiast

Postby Leg of lamb » 23 Apr 2006, 01:56

Owen wrote:ah, i knew i was pissed when i met the other one but i didn't think i was that bad.

I'm having fun imagining the horror Diamond Dog will experience when he checks in tomorrow to see his thread horrifically derailed by pop cultural angst and chit chat.

shangri-las are class though and SHP sounded great the first 9847462 times

Most definitely, I definitely think her tastes are tending in a promising direction, so I'm still seeing her enthusiasm for 'Crazy' as a badge of honour for the song.

Owen
definitely not Travolta

Postby Owen » 23 Apr 2006, 01:58

Leg of lamb wrote:
Owen wrote:ah, i knew i was pissed when i met the other one but i didn't think i was that bad.

I'm having fun imagining the horror Diamond Dog will experience when he checks in tomorrow to see his thread horrifically derailed by pop cultural angst and chit chat.

I think the thread title will keep him away. besides if it's not me and paul talking about pubs or me and Ali, well, talking generally, he doesn't really give a fuck. Mention a pub in clifton though and it's 'get a room' in his big scary dog voice

Return to “Classic Threads & Treasury of Mirth”