So, "Crazy" by Gnarls Barkley, then.........

Backslapping time. Well done us. We are fantastic.
Leg of lamb
Jane Austen enthusiast

Postby Leg of lamb » 23 Apr 2006, 02:03

Penk is the Drug wrote:I can see what you mean but I think that because the song's a typical example of style over substance - and I don't think even its biggest fans could argue it wasn't - it is going to hit people with an immediacy especially if they're not cynical and suspicious like most of us here; the average listener is just going to notice that it's really different to most pop and it has an interesting tune and on the surface is uplifting and clever, so in a way they're going to get a lot out of it without necessarily going to the depths we do to analyse the bastard. Perhaps we lose some of the joy of pop music by doing that, there's maybe something a little sterile and small about looking for pleasure in the darkest corners of baroque 70s songwriting or waiting to notice that almost inaudible background sound you just know is somewhere in the Broken Social Scene album, compared to the instantaneous euphoria of an otherwise flaky pop song with a massive happy chorus.

Couldn't agree more. I don't know how much I'd rate 'Crazy' if it was tucked away as an orthodox soul song on a Kent compilation but that's a silly counterfactual anyway 'cos the fact is that it's out there and its presentation, its hyperactivity and modernity are part of the package, and what has made it connect with a lot of people. I won't deny that being able to share a song which is ostensibly in the tradition of my music with the laity is part of the thrill.

Still, I can't help but listen to the song with music obsessive ears and, for me, it stands up, even if I appear to be in a music obsessive minority in saying so.
Brother Spoon wrote:I would probably enjoy this record more if it came to me in a brown paper bag filled with manure, instead of this richly illustrated disgrace to my eyes.

Carl's Son
Grade A Shitpipe

Postby Carl's Son » 23 Apr 2006, 02:29

It was on the radio a few minutes ago and it sounded bloody good but I have ben drinking a fair amount of cider.
I can just about handle you driving like a pissed up crackhead and treating women like beanbags but I'm gonna say this once and once only Gene, stay out of Camberwick Green!

www.chrischopping.virb.com

http://thatidiotchrischopping.blogspot.com

Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.

Postby Diamond Dog » 23 Apr 2006, 07:59

Owen wrote:I think the thread title will keep him away. besides if it's not me and paul talking about pubs or me and Ali, well, talking generally, he doesn't really give a fuck. Mention a pub in clifton though and it's 'get a room' in his big scary dog voice

Get a room. :lol:

And why would the thread title put me off - I started the fucking thing!!
Nicotine, valium, vicadin, marijuana, ecstasy, and alcohol -
Cocaine

The Write Profile
2017 BCB Cup Champ

Postby The Write Profile » 20 Oct 2006, 03:52

Just been cycling through the ten pages (I know, it was a slow Friday) and I was just thinking about how typical it is that a one-off side project really only spawned one major hit in the end, despite all the hype. I've never been too sold on Cee-Lo, though no doubt Dangermouse will go on producing things with whoever asks him to, but perhaps this was always going to be something that burned bright and then fizzled. It mightnt even be the best song on the album ( I like "Smiley Faces" quite a bit- nice concept for the video, too), yet the whole thing has the air of being deliberately rushed to get it outthere. Still, it made more impact than any of them could've possibly hoped for.
It's before my time but I've been told, he never came back from Karangahape Road.

Shaun

Postby Shaun » 20 Oct 2006, 04:53

Yep, just like that Outkast album that had Hey Ya! on it.
Don't fight the hypothetical

The Tourist

Postby The Tourist » 20 Oct 2006, 10:16

frimleygreener wrote:
Diamond Dog wrote:
Unlucky Bear wrote:
frimleygreener wrote:this thread is subtitled"irony" i hope?

They'll be bigging up the Chico album next..and then someone will say that Shayne has a great voice.

Deaf Cunts.

See. Why don't you two pseuds fuck off back to 'Anal Retentive Corner' and leave the music fans to get on with it?

yes..but are two people considered a fan base?

it's so dull!

I have a very firm policy regarding music I hear while grocery shopping.
everybody hates a tourist, especially one who thinks it's all such a laugh, and the chip-stains and grease will come out in the bath

The Write Profile
2017 BCB Cup Champ

Postby The Write Profile » 20 Oct 2006, 14:54

Shaun wrote:Yep, just like that Outkast album that had Hey Ya! on it.

Not really fair, they'd had several hits before that (albeit in the US, in the UK they didn't really get going until Stankonia came out) and they'd been a group for years, whereas Gnarls Barkley is clearly designed as a one-off 'project' before the pair get back to doing whatever other music they had in mind for themselves.

But yeah I get your point in that "Hey Ya", for better or worse, totally overwhelmed that Outkast double album.
It's before my time but I've been told, he never came back from Karangahape Road.

The Red Heifer
Fucking Crackers

Re:

Postby The Red Heifer » 13 Aug 2008, 12:26

The Red Heifer wrote:I still haven't heard this song. Will I like it?

No I fucking will won't.
Wadesmith wrote:Why is it that when there's a 'What do you think of this?' post, it's always absolute cobblers?

Deebank
Resonator

Re: So, "Crazy" by Gnarls Barkley, then.........

Postby Deebank » 05 Sep 2008, 11:00

Hey it's just come on the radio!

And it's still shite.
I've been talking about writing a book - 25 years of TEFL - for a few years now. I've got it in me.

Paid anghofio fod dy galon yn y chwyldro

Deebank
Resonator

Postby Deebank » 05 Sep 2008, 12:47

neverknows wrote:I've never heard it.

Ignorance is bliss, think weak breakbeats with 70s strings and McClymont's less talented little brother on vox.
I've been talking about writing a book - 25 years of TEFL - for a few years now. I've got it in me.

Paid anghofio fod dy galon yn y chwyldro

Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.

Postby Diamond Dog » 14 Sep 2008, 12:32

Deebank wrote:
neverknows wrote:I've never heard it.

Ignorance is bliss, think weak breakbeats with 70s strings and McClymont's less talented little brother on vox.

And you'd know all about less talented little brothers, wouldn't you?
Nicotine, valium, vicadin, marijuana, ecstasy, and alcohol -
Cocaine

Penk!
Midnight to Six Man

Postby Penk! » 15 Sep 2008, 14:34

I quite like that new one, 'Going On'.
fange wrote:One of the things i really dislike in this life is people raising their voices in German.

naughty boy
hounds people off the board

Postby naughty boy » 12 Mar 2016, 18:32

Ten years ago...
Matt 'interesting' Wilson wrote:So I went from looking at the "I'm a Man" riff, to showing how the rave up was popular for awhile.

harvey k-tel
Long Player

Postby harvey k-tel » 17 Mar 2016, 17:06

I nearly slit my wrists after four pages...
Tempora mutatur et nos mutamur in illis

Return to “Classic Threads & Treasury of Mirth”