*BRANDNEW* "What FILM / DVD / VIDEO did you watch last

Backslapping time. Well done us. We are fantastic.
mentalist (slight return)
under mi sensi

Postby mentalist (slight return) » 01 Oct 2006, 07:44

Deadly Companions (1961), Peckinpah's first film made after years doing TV, and a low budget one at that. Bit of a ropey transfer, visual (it's not widescreen) and audio (lots of hissing), but definitely worth catching. An appealing, and at times romantic, story, if a bit slow.
king of the divan

the masked man
Schadenfreude

Postby the masked man » 01 Oct 2006, 21:10

Based on a true story, Shohei Imamura's film about a serial killer on the run in 60s Japan is a compelling affair. Despite its fractured chronology and occasional surrealist flourishes, this is a highly accessible film. Ken Ogata excels as the amoral killer, who cannot come to terms with his father's religion, and cannot obtain any satisfaction from his life of crime.

Not an easy watch, and the ending is truly bizarre, but this comes recommended. One question - is this the only Japanese film that is explicitly about Catholicism?

My name is Spaulding
Pancake Expert

Postby My name is Spaulding » 01 Oct 2006, 22:45

Walk In My Shadow wrote:If Spaulding buys it, I'll buy it too.

marios

Postby marios » 02 Oct 2006, 02:20

= marios = wrote:

I had a hunch i'd hate this film. I wasn't wrong.

Arthur Crud

Postby Arthur Crud » 02 Oct 2006, 03:21

Disc 1 of a massive 3DVD set of Byrds rarities.

I was never a huge fan but these are stonkingly good.

Piggly Wiggly

Postby Piggly Wiggly » 02 Oct 2006, 09:28

secondhandsocks

Postby secondhandsocks » 02 Oct 2006, 11:27

The Queen

Not something I would have chosen to see myself.
Nevertheless it was enjoyable.
Helen Mirren is convincing enough as the Queen, it was nice to see someone other than Judy Dench.

The film is mainly based around the time of Princess Diana's death, making the establishment realise that times have changed and their images via the media really do matter.
Sometimes the script does make charactures of all those involved, the Queen Mother as the dotty old bat, Alistair Campbell as the souless media whore, etc etc.
I'm sure most of these fit into the public perception of the characters, I was hoping to get a better insight into what makes them tick.

I'm not sure who would really go and see it, it would work better as a 2-part tv drama (it was made by Granada).

Memorable quote from IMDB:
HM Queen Elizabeth II: [Getting her car stuck in a ford] Oh, bugger it.

Mr Maps
a drunk in a midnight choir

Postby Mr Maps » 02 Oct 2006, 13:25

I got a lot in over the weekend.
parts one and two and a bunch of the special features
which I quite liked. but then I loved Gerry and I love Terrence Malicks pacing as well.
ImageImageImage
Sleeper was funnier than I remembered, Landau was amazing in Crimes . How could you not fall in love with Diane Keaton?
Last month I watched, Manhattan which may be my new fave of his and A Midsummer Night's Sex Comedy which didn't work at all I thought.
ImageImage
Superstar sank towards the end. Gummo I have a soft spot for.
I also watch a bunch of the special bits of the Apocalypse Now Complete Dossier.
nathan wrote:I realize there is a time and a place for unsexy music, but I personally have no time for it.

Django wrote: It's video clips of earnest post-rock I want, and I have little time for anything else.

19th biggest tosser on BCB

Tactful Cactus

Postby Tactful Cactus » 02 Oct 2006, 14:17

Funny funny movie. Lloyd Bridges made every scene he was in.

nathan
submitted for your approval

Postby nathan » 02 Oct 2006, 16:15

Well I wish it was longer. I really liked these people because they seemed real but the movie didn't get a chance to flesh them out in a satisfying way. It was pretty focused on one outcome and spent all it's energy working towards that. It works but it's so well done that you do feel there should have been so much more.

bobzilla77

Postby bobzilla77 » 03 Oct 2006, 00:33

Started watching the Nomi Song last night but fell asleep after taking a Robaxcet. All those Syd songs tore up my shoulder on Saturday!
Jimbo wrote:I guess I am over Graham Nash's politics. Hopelessly naive by the standards I've molded for myself these days.

Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure

Postby Snarfyguy » 03 Oct 2006, 00:38

bobzilla77 wrote: fell asleep after taking a Robaxcet.

*cough*

Interesting guy, that Klaus Nomi. Good doc, I'm really glad someone made it.
GoogaMooga wrote: The further away from home you go, the greater the risk of getting stuck there.

Sneelock

Postby Sneelock » 03 Oct 2006, 00:50

Seeing Nomi sing "Total Eclipse of the Sun" on the old Saturday Night Live was one of the damndest things I ever saw!

mentalist (slight return)
under mi sensi

Postby mentalist (slight return) » 03 Oct 2006, 02:06

Winchester '73 (1950), a Greek tragedy with spurs
king of the divan

Superdans
Self Confessed Hipster

Postby Superdans » 03 Oct 2006, 14:01

Quite wonderful.
The absolute worst thing anyone could say about you is that you were a selfish, moral blank, whose lazy cynicism and sneering, ironic take on the world encapsulates everything wrong with a generation. But you my friend are not evil.

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 03 Oct 2006, 16:27

ImageImage
Gunfight at the OK Corall (1957) & Hour of the Gun (1967)
Both of these films deal with Wyatt Earpe, Doc Holliday, and the whole Tombstone saga and both were directed by John Sturges ten years apart.
Gunfight is probably the more fun to watch as the two stars have decent chemistry and the Vistavision photography is attractive. Hour of the Gun is touted as the more authentic of the two (in it's depiction, anyway) but neither one is all that historically accurate (Tombstone is the most realistic version yet put on film).

All in all, both enjoyable for western fans but neither one is quite good enough, you know?

lemon

Postby lemon » 03 Oct 2006, 17:41

I love any sort of time travel films so I'm a little biased, but this seemed pretty fun despite the fact that Ashton Kutcher's an idiot.

Any recommendations of similar stuff?

Tactful Cactus

Postby Tactful Cactus » 03 Oct 2006, 17:49

lemon wrote:
Any recommendations of similar stuff?

Yeah, thats a good flick. And Kutchers idiocy doesn't really affect his performance (hey, maybe he isn'ti an idiot after all). You might like The Jacket, another time-travel jobby. Not as good but worth seeing.

lemon

Postby lemon » 03 Oct 2006, 17:56

I saw the Jacket a few months back or whenever it was in the cinema. I enjoyed that one too.

Problem with this facination is I'm running out of good time travel films to watch.

Tactful Cactus

Postby Tactful Cactus » 03 Oct 2006, 17:58

Hmmm, er, Mothman Prophecy? Haven't seen it but I believe its a similar type movie.

That one with Denis Quaid where he can talk to his Dad (from thirty years ago) on a transistor radio. Not as bad as it sounds.

Return to “Classic Threads & Treasury of Mirth”