So, what do we think of "Britpop" now?

Backslapping time. Well done us. We are fantastic.

Britpop...was

One of the most vibrant times in British music
7%
Responsible for some of the 90s best stuff
20%
Mostly a media-beat up, but a few great groups arose out of it
30%
A shamelessly derivative cover-up, in which only a couple of acts justified even half their hype
26%
A joke, just terrible mostly
10%
What's Britpop?
7%

Total votes: 70

The Modernist

Postby The Modernist » 05 Apr 2004, 17:18

I remember quite enjoying Live Forever when it was on tv, mainly because Jarvis Cocker and Noel Gallagher were quite entertaining. However in it's attempts to say something more profound about the whole social context of the mid-nineties the documentary was less successful, this is perhaps not surprising as, as others have said already, there was something very vacuous about Britpop; ultimately it was a creation of the media. I thought the cleverest bit of the documentary was when they showed the millenium dome with a soundtrack of Do You Know What I Mean? I thought it was quite perceptive to draw a link between the two. Both were fuelled by the same sense of bombast and self-importance which saw big self-regarding gestures override any sense of content or perspective.
Overall the documentary didn't reach this level of insight very often though and came across more as a collection of soundbites, a slightly more elevated version of all those I Love 1989 type of programmes. Still a moderately entertaining way to while away an hour and a half.

lemon

Postby lemon » 05 Apr 2004, 18:07

Having only been about 7+ at the time and way before I got into "real" music, I sort of missed the whole thing. However, I am now quite getting into it, listening to bands like the Bluetones, Oasis, Blur, Echobelly and a lot of the stuff that led up to it, Stone Roses, Mondays and Black Grape. So er, at the moment I like it, if you'd asked me a couple of months ago (which presumably you did as this is an old topic), I'd have said I hate it.

KeithPratt
Arsehole all Erect

Re: So, what do we think of "Britpop" now?

Postby KeithPratt » 09 Aug 2012, 16:34

It's still SHITE

Bungo the Mungo

Re: So, what do we think of "Britpop" now?

Postby Bungo the Mungo » 15 Aug 2012, 17:12

The usual tiresome snobbery on display, I see.

Return to “Classic Threads & Treasury of Mirth”