Uh oh

Backslapping time. Well done us. We are fantastic.
Martial Lawniz
BCB Troll

Postby Martial Lawniz » 17 Apr 2005, 01:52

Rule of lying #1: Don't forget which lies you've told.

Rule 2: And to whom.

Rule 3: if found out, deny everything.

Rule 4: If present strategy isn't working, create an alias.

Rule 5 - leave in a huff.

Rule 6 - insist that you are all ninnies and I have nothing to apologise for.

Rule 7 - Remember what your Granny told you.

Rule 8 - Ask for proof of what you said before, even though you know the post is beyond the purge date.

Rule 9 - Bring up birthday party.

Rule 10: Italicise every 8th word or so, adds gravitas to meaning.

Velvis
Mellowed down easy

Postby Velvis » 17 Apr 2005, 01:55

Rule 8 - Ask for proof of what you said before, even though you know the post is beyond the purge date.

Rule 11 - Use semantic shift: "There are no secret rooms in BCB at this time".
a gibbon running freely

Butch Manly
Utter Cad

Postby Butch Manly » 17 Apr 2005, 02:00

Jeff K wrote:I wonder what would have happened if they got into an argument in the secret room. Would they form a secret room within the secret room and exclude the people they were fighting with?

jethro: it's quiet in here today, isn't it?

john: yes, but at least we don't have to read any ninnie's innane posts.

jethro: true.

john: so, what shall we talk about then?

jethro: have we done "that phil collins, he's a right cunt. did some decent tunes though"?

john: yes, we did it twice yesterday. think of something else.

jethro: have you seen the size of my knob?
Goatboy to Belle:

"I suggest you retreat to the safety of your Facebook bubble. Griff has a post he needs you to like."

Butch Manly
Utter Cad

Postby Butch Manly » 17 Apr 2005, 02:03

Rule 11 - Use semantic shift: "There are no secret rooms in BCB at this time".

Rule 12: don't let solving the problem get in the way of winning the argument.
Goatboy to Belle:

"I suggest you retreat to the safety of your Facebook bubble. Griff has a post he needs you to like."

Owen
definitely not Travolta

Postby Owen » 17 Apr 2005, 02:07

Footy wrote:
Owen wrote:Who exactly was supposed to tell who. I told several people. I didn't run out and start an open thread or conversations with people i dont regularly speak to but i told people i was having in depth PM conversations with and I sat in several pubs and discussed it.

I appreciate, Owen and you have said as much, that you were not in a comfortable position with this. But that only adds to the general distaste of the whole matter.

I'm not really looking for sympathy on the matter, i just dont really see what people expected people to do.

The thing with internet discussions is everyone acts as if they live their lives without any flaws or ever deciding things are just more trouble than they are worth. That any deviation from that is going to condemn somebody to hell.

Thats not the case, there does come a case when you think 'yeah it's wrong but there's no real positive likely outcome and do i really care that much?'. The day this blew up i had a contract renewed and some great news on a personal front, to be honest the idea of people i hadn't met's reaction to board stuff didn't mean a lot. It still doesn't

At best it would blow over at worst it would be a good time to move on anyway, it's a big world out there and it's going ok as far as i can tell.

People are angry, i get that, i got that when i told griff about the room, i had a fair idea of the reaction but felt he should know. But i told him because he was a friend and it was directly relevant to the conversation we were having. Just coming out and telling the world for the sake of it is a totally different matter. I'd guess the number of people who stumbled across one or other room was quite high and while i'd imagine lots of them told their friends none of them just started an open thread, not even duncan (although his response has class) thats not because they were all bad but because thats human nature.

Martial Lawniz
BCB Troll

Postby Martial Lawniz » 17 Apr 2005, 02:07

Owen wrote:A fuck load of people knew about one or other room and it didn't come into the public domain till this week. Since this thread came up a bunch of people have admitted coming across the second one which i didn't learn of till this week. There was no outing of that one either.

Good point worth emphasizing as the issue at stake should not be mistaken with any attempts at burning people at said stake whose only perceived "lapse" has been not to mention it publicly, but only in private, whether they were involved in the room or not.

Simply, I was told about the February room two months ago. I told one other person about this within 5 minutes of hearing the news, but from then on, except with only one other person, I made no mention of it. Why? Couldn't reveal my source, didn't know who to trust (a recurring issue here, I might add, thanks to the "secret" in the room), and knew anyway I was somewhat blinded by my anger and preferred to calm down, which I did quickly enough, but knew, somehow, in one way or another, the thing would out itself of its own accord, and then the shit would fly faster than any pigs I've seen lately.

I think the only motives that really should be questioned here have already been scrutinised, it only remains for those who began it to speak or maintain their silence, however verbose that silence somehow comes across. People in Owen's position do not deserve this same attention. And I never said anything either. Complicated? You bet.

Velvis
Mellowed down easy

Postby Velvis » 17 Apr 2005, 02:13

Question, Duncan. Why did the news piss you off so much? I mean, I'm just goofin' off here, and I've got a few beers in me, but why do you have so much invested in this?
a gibbon running freely

George Smiley

Postby George Smiley » 17 Apr 2005, 02:23

TheBoyGiraffe wrote:
neverknows wrote:Lil' Neverknowsette had her ears pierced today. She has spent the day putting her hair back so that everyone can see.

It was quite an event. Let me know if anything more important happened over here.

fred, serious question time.

do you really think it's unimportant that a clandestine unilateral decision was made to create a secret room on this board for invitees only?

my own feeling, and this has been backed up by plenty of other people expressing their support for my point of view on this matter, is that this is a very important issue indeed because people feel somehow betrayed or insulted...

There, you see? Many people have strong feelings about this particular revelation, and who among our community is justified in saying they are being trivial, or obsessed, or indeed hysterical imbeciles?

A man stands before a tank in Tiannaman Square - an image that captures the imagination of the world. No doubt there are some who ridicule this man, or indeed, are completely indifferent. To such people, other things are more important: their families, their work, mindless consumerism. But I am certain the world is a better place for that man and his willingness to take a stand against oppression and the injustice he perceives.

So it is with the Secret Room Affair. A storm in a teacup, yes, but each storm is capable of producing its own tsunami, if I may run foul of the geological canon for a moment to make my point.

The important, the ever important facet of this story is not, as it were the facts. Anyone can offer up facts (it is a poor day at work when I myself cannot introduce at least half a dozen so-called 'facts' into the gaping maw of the gullible media).

What is important is their interpretation. I have counselled patience in this matter - patience and perspective. Two rare commodities in this troubled century, and he who possesses a quanta of either may find himself able to blow away the tank in front of him as one might kick aside an empty packet of crisps.
Tinker, Tailor
Soldier, Pillock

Poppypoobah
Resident Hotty

Postby Poppypoobah » 17 Apr 2005, 02:28

George Smiley wrote:
TheBoyGiraffe wrote:
neverknows wrote:Lil' Neverknowsette had her ears pierced today. She has spent the day putting her hair back so that everyone can see.

It was quite an event. Let me know if anything more important happened over here.

do you really think it's unimportant that a clandestine unilateral decision was made to create a secret room on this board for invitees only?

my own feeling, and this has been backed up by plenty of other people expressing their support for my point of view on this matter, is that this is a very important issue indeed because people feel somehow betrayed or insulted...

There, you see? Many people have strong feelings about this particular revelation, and who among our community is justified in saying they are being trivial, or obsessed, or indeed hysterical imbeciles?

A man stands before a tank in Tiannaman Square - an image that captures the imagination of the world. No doubt there are some who ridicule this man, or indeed, are completely indifferent. To such people, other things are more important: their families, their work, mindless consumerism. But I am certain the world is a better place for that man and his willingness to take a stand against oppression and the injustice he perceives.

So it is with the Secret Room Affair. A storm in a teacup, yes, but each storm is capable of producing its own tsunami, if I may run foul of the geological canon for a moment to make my point.

The important, the ever important facet of this story is not, as it were the facts. Anyone can offer up facts (it is a poor day at work when I myself cannot introduce at least half a dozen so-called 'facts' into the gaping maw of the gullible media).

What is important is their interpretation. I have counselled patience in this matter - patience and perspective. Two rare commodities in this troubled century, and he who possesses a quanta of either may find himself able to blow away the tank in front of him as one might kick aside an empty packet of crisps.
That would have alot more meaning if you came out from behind your cloak of invisibility.

Owen
definitely not Travolta

Postby Owen » 17 Apr 2005, 02:29

Hotsie wrote:
George Smiley wrote:
TheBoyGiraffe wrote:

That would have alot more meaning if you came out from behind your cloak of invisibility.

Are you sure?

Martial Lawniz
BCB Troll

Postby Martial Lawniz » 17 Apr 2005, 02:30

Velvis wrote:Question, Duncan. Why did the news piss you off so much? I mean, I'm just goofin' off here, and I've got a few beers in me, but why do you have so much invested in this?

I don't think I have or had any more invested in this or any other thing in comparison to a good many posters for whom this board had/has become a "scene" for interaction which most I imagine would say was important/funny/wonderful etc to them.

Which means, quite a lot invested in this board. I didn't travel to the December Jolly Up on a whim from another country just to find out what it felt like to take a leak on a deserted London tube platform at halfpast midnight. There were people there I wanted to see in general, Jimmy Quaco had come in from LA, the Neverknows from Paris, and a large number of other jolly buggers and buggerettes in whose company I wanted to be seen.

Similarily, in the recent venture in the US, I made efforts to see Charlie O, the whole New York gang, spoke to king Feeb by phone, smoked ciggies outside in the snow with Matty Redsox, and laughed far too much in the company of Take 5 and Sambient in Philly, not to mention going with Hotsie godnose how many hours to meet your fine self in Ohio.

I see others too, you have to forgive me for Griff, that can't be helped, and so you see, among other things, why the revelation of all this somewhat shattered my respect for, let's say, the general idea of the board. It suddenly made no sense. Being part of a community that harboured this kind of crap? In spite of it having nothing to do with the vast majority, in spite of the fact of how obvious it was at who was behind it, I simply reacted blindly and quit. In silence, I might add.

Anyway, are you drunk yet or do you want to read more of this sentimental tripe?

--
Judgement Day is upon you

Postby -- » 17 Apr 2005, 02:30

She's right.

If you've got something to say that's worth taking that much time over, surely it's worth making yourself known in your usual form?

I mean, ffs, what are you scared of?

Hugh

Postby Hugh » 17 Apr 2005, 02:32

Velvis wrote:Question, Duncan. Why did the news piss you off so much? I mean, I'm just goofin' off here, and I've got a few beers in me, but why do you have so much invested in this?

I can't, and won't, answer for Duncan but here's my take:

Some of us have spent four years or more on this board and its predecesors. We've invested a lot of time here and many people have made personal friends. The Secret Room thing will impact some more than others. In many, but not all, cases the hurt at being excluded from the secret room is proportional to the extent to which "real" friendships have been established and have been perceived to have been betrayed.

Having never met anyone on the board (but considering many of you as friends) I am concerned that the board has been fundimentily damaged by the notion of secrecy and excluvisity. Whether the motives were good or bad is niether hereor there really. We need to move on.

There is a notable absence of regular posters on here in the last few days and the board is worse for that .

This is supposed to be fun.

At the moment it isn't.

Velvis
Mellowed down easy

Postby Velvis » 17 Apr 2005, 02:33

Duncan wrote:
Anyway, are you drunk yet or do you want to read more of this sentimental tripe?

Yes. And yes.
a gibbon running freely

Poppypoobah
Resident Hotty

Postby Poppypoobah » 17 Apr 2005, 02:39

Hugh Jarse wrote:

I can't, and won't, answer for Duncan but here's my take:

Some of us have spent four years or more on this board and its predecesors. We've invested a lot of time here and many people have made personal friends. The Secret Room thing will impact some more than others. In many, but not all, cases the hurt at being excluded from the secret room is proportional to the extent to which "real" friendships have been established and have been perceived to have been betrayed.

Having never met anyone on the board (but considering many of you as friends) I am concerned that the board has been fundimentily damaged by the notion of secrecy and excluvisity. Whether the motives were good or bad is niether hereor there really. We need to move on.

There is a notable absence of regular posters on here in the last few days and the board is worse for that .

This is supposed to be fun.

At the moment it isn't.
It's not is it? We do need to move on but some of us can't until our trust is either restored or we know who we're dealing with.

Velvis
Mellowed down easy

Postby Velvis » 17 Apr 2005, 02:40

Face it. As much of a bitch as it is to hash this thing over again and again, there's nothing more interesting going on right now. This stuff is VERY interesting.

I'm always interested in getting to know how people really feel about things. Underneath the flippant one-liners, the defensiveness, the attacks.

I sort of had the illusion, too, a couple weeks back, that we were all friends here. Friends that bicker, fall out sometimes, but still friends. LMG, in a very clear fashion, disabused me of that notion. I began to realize that I have enemies here.
a gibbon running freely

Velvis
Mellowed down easy

Postby Velvis » 17 Apr 2005, 02:42

BY the way, did anyone appreciate my "getting the eyes pierced" post? That was pure Velvis for your enjoyment.
a gibbon running freely

Poppypoobah
Resident Hotty

Postby Poppypoobah » 17 Apr 2005, 02:44

4H - Adam Plague wrote:She's right.

If you've got something to say that's worth taking that much time over, surely it's worth making yourself known in your usual form?

I mean, ffs, what are you scared of?
What does FFS mean?

--
Judgement Day is upon you

Postby -- » 17 Apr 2005, 02:44

For fuck's sake.

It's late. I'm stoned and lazy.

take5_d_shorterer

Postby take5_d_shorterer » 17 Apr 2005, 02:46

George Smiley wrote:
TheBoyGiraffe wrote:

I'm reading the post above made by the poster with the username of ``George Smiley,'' and I see that that the poster has 2 posts to [his] name. That's it. This is an alias.

This topic is too important to be discussed in proxy by aliases.

That's because the fundamental issue is secrecy. The idea of talking about this through aliases is basically trying to solve the problems caused by secrecy by being more secret still.

It makes no sense to me at all. We have to start taking responsibility for our opinions and where we stand on things.