Group Hug

Backslapping time. Well done us. We are fantastic.
Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.

Postby Diamond Dog » 17 Apr 2005, 19:08

Hotsie wrote:
Heilan Coo...baby wrote:
2) Despite having made 4 transatlantic trips in the last year and a half, I'm still fucking terrified of flying. There's just something about all those tonnes of metal being held up in the air by only two engines that unsettles me.

A plane is actually held up in the air because of the shape of the wings, wind rushes over and under depending on the angle to the oncoming air and thats what keeps it aloft. The engines just make sure that the plane moves through the air at a set speed.

Sorry to be a smartie pants.

Nice post though! :lol:

The engines actually give the thrust that allows the plane to be moving at a fast enough speed to get the lift in the first place.

If you'd like to prove me wrong, sit on a plane without engines and see how long it is before you take off.
The leaves have lost hold of the branches as always, Which leaves us with gold and win coloured pathways

Teabag
The docker's delight

Postby Teabag » 17 Apr 2005, 19:20

You got there before me, DD.

It's a good job we're not smartie pants, eh?
I could be wrong. I usually am.

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 17 Apr 2005, 19:26

Teabag wrote:You got there before me, DD.

It's a good job we're not smartie pants, eh?

Indeed. :wink:
The leaves have lost hold of the branches as always, Which leaves us with gold and win coloured pathways

andymacandy
"Liberal Airhead"

Postby andymacandy » 17 Apr 2005, 19:31

Diamond Dog wrote:
Hotsie wrote:
Heilan Coo...baby wrote:
2) Despite having made 4 transatlantic trips in the last year and a half, I'm still fucking terrified of flying. There's just something about all those tonnes of metal being held up in the air by only two engines that unsettles me.

A plane is actually held up in the air because of the shape of the wings, wind rushes over and under depending on the angle to the oncoming air and thats what keeps it aloft. The engines just make sure that the plane moves through the air at a set speed.

The engines actually give the thrust that allows the plane to be moving at a fast enough speed to get the lift in the first place.

If you'd like to prove me wrong, sit on a plane without engines and see how long it is before you take off.

Yes, but read the post.
The engines dont hold the plane up, the wings do.
Gliders fly perfectly, and you can actually take off in a hanglider without any forward thrust.
Bless the weather.......Image

Poppypoobah
Resident Hotty

Postby Poppypoobah » 17 Apr 2005, 19:31

Diamond Dog wrote:
Hotsie wrote:
Heilan Coo...baby wrote:

Yep but once it's up there if you angle the plane right you can fly with no engines.

Ha ha

Wanker.

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 17 Apr 2005, 19:32

:mrgreen:

Poppypoobah
Resident Hotty

Postby Poppypoobah » 17 Apr 2005, 19:36

Diamond Dog wrote::mrgreen:
So who's the smartie pants now?

Yep it's still me! :wink:

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 17 Apr 2005, 20:47

andymacandy wrote:
Diamond Dog wrote:
Hotsie wrote:
Heilan Coo...baby wrote:

Yes, but read the post.
Gliders fly perfectly, and you can actually take off in a hanglider without any forward thrust.

Well, as we're now in to detail - read the bold part of Hotsie's text.

The engines do somewhat more than "just make sure that the plane moves through the air at a set speed". They also (read bold in my post) "give the thrust that allows the plane to be moving at a fast enough speed to get the lift to take off in the first place".

Pass me those smartiepants, please.

Poppypoobah
Resident Hotty

Postby Poppypoobah » 17 Apr 2005, 21:05

Diamond Dog wrote:
andymacandy wrote:
Diamond Dog wrote:
Hotsie wrote:
Heilan Coo...baby wrote:

Yes, but read the post.

Well, as we're now in to detail - read the bold part of Hotsie's text.

The engines do somewhat more than "just make sure that the plane moves through the air at a set speed". They also (read bold in my post) "give the thrust that allows the plane to be moving at a fast enough speed to get the lift to take off in the first place".

Pass me those smartiepants, please.
You are right about take off and needing the engines for that in a plane unless you have a 70+ mile an hour wind.

We can share the pants between the 3 of us.

Heilan Coo
The Communist Charles Hawtrey

Postby Heilan Coo » 17 Apr 2005, 22:26

:lol:

If I had known I was going to start a heated aviation arguement, I wouldn't have posted that one!
savoirfaire wrote:They are extremely cuddly, to the point where I think I was literally molested by a few of them. I completely understand how the farmer-goat relationships must happen.

Poppypoobah
Resident Hotty

Postby Poppypoobah » 17 Apr 2005, 22:42

Heilan Coo...baby wrote::lol:

If I had known I was going to start a heated aviation arguement, I wouldn't have posted that one!

But does it make you feel better about flying?

Heilan Coo
The Communist Charles Hawtrey

Postby Heilan Coo » 17 Apr 2005, 22:55

Hotsie wrote:But does it make you feel better about flying?

It does, H. People tell me all this when I mention my discomfort about flying, but I still get nervous. Thing is, once I'm up there, I'm usually fine - as long as it's a smooth journey. I'm more calm at 36000 feet than I am at 30 feet off the ground!

I suppose it's like most fears - it's mostly all in the mind.
savoirfaire wrote:They are extremely cuddly, to the point where I think I was literally molested by a few of them. I completely understand how the farmer-goat relationships must happen.

Poppypoobah
Resident Hotty

Postby Poppypoobah » 17 Apr 2005, 23:08

Heilan Coo...baby wrote:
Hotsie wrote:But does it make you feel better about flying?

It does, H. People tell me all this when I mention my discomfort about flying, but I still get nervous. Thing is, once I'm up there, I'm usually fine - as long as it's a smooth journey. I'm more calm at 36000 feet than I am at 30 feet off the ground!

I suppose it's like most fears - it's mostly all in the mind.
Just keep in mind that the take off is the most dangerous part. Once you're up in the air you're guarenteed to come back down right?

And if I can fly a plane you know that it's a piece of cake!

Martial Lawniz
BCB Troll

Postby Martial Lawniz » 18 Apr 2005, 12:46

Old Joke.

It's not the flying part which bothers me, it's the crashing.

James R
the grocer of despair

Postby James R » 20 Apr 2005, 13:37

ZONG wrote:and thus let's continue. I'll start with another ten.

As will I.

1. I can't believe that bit in my previous ten where I admitted to being a virgin didn't draw more comment (a single PM). Unless you were all trying to be tactful or something
2. I am not a fundamentally happy person.
3. I increasingly feel my life has been a waste.
4. I have no idea how to get out of the rut I am in.
5. I fear the responsibility of living.
6. I fear dying even more. The fear of death is what stops me from killing myself.
7. I have absolutely no idea how I will cope when my parents are dead.
8. I don't know what makes me more miserable, the thought that BCB might go tits up or that it might survive Jethro's latest hissy fit.
9. I am not interesting. I can barely interest myself in myself at times.
10. I can't think of anything else to say.
pcqgod wrote:I like how Liebling progresses from a rotting, animated corpse living in his parents' basement to a slightly more life-affirming walking corpse by the end of the movie.

Goat Boy wrote:I recall a midget with large tits dancing.

Poppypoobah
Resident Hotty

Postby Poppypoobah » 20 Apr 2005, 14:29

James R wrote:

As will I.

1. I can't believe that bit in my previous ten where I admitted to being a virgin didn't draw more comment (a single PM). Unless you were all trying to be tactful or something
:shock:

Are you still a virgin?

Prez!
Stern Victorian Ponce

Postby Prez! » 20 Apr 2005, 15:41

James R wrote:

As will I.

Likewise!

1} I'm incredibly irresponsible with money.
2} Every day,I'm surprised by how much my family seems to love me,though I wonder why I deserve it.
3} I got my first speeding ticket this week & I was incredibly proud of it.
4} My only previous conviction was for riding my bike on the pavement 27 years ago{ I have got one parking ticket too,if this counts}.
5} I can be an arrogant little MF.
6} I've also been told I can be quite rude.I don't mean to be.............
7} I enjoy my own company.
8} The impending end of Aylesbury Uniteds season depresses me.
9} I'm quite domesticated & don't mind doing the ironing.
10} My eldest daughter is growing up to be so much like me,it frightens the sh*t out of my wife!

James R
the grocer of despair

Postby James R » 21 Apr 2005, 12:34

Hotsie wrote:
James R wrote:

As will I.

:shock:

Are you still a virgin?

Well I haven't lost it since I posted that so, er, yes.
pcqgod wrote:I like how Liebling progresses from a rotting, animated corpse living in his parents' basement to a slightly more life-affirming walking corpse by the end of the movie.

Goat Boy wrote:I recall a midget with large tits dancing.

Toby
Arsehole all Erect

Postby Toby » 21 Apr 2005, 12:36

I need a hug.

I'm sort of ok, but I just battered myself senseless with a muntathon that started on Thursday at Autechre in London Bridge with some mates inc. our very own Chiefwhat and finished at 4 am on Monday morning at the closing party for Tresor in Berlin. I hopped on a plane straight to work and collapsed at about 4pm. Since then I've been rocking back and forth in a corner. It's entirely my own fault.

Neil Jung
Watcher Of The Skies

Postby Neil Jung » 21 Apr 2005, 12:42

Bleep wrote:I need a hug.

I'm sort of ok, but I just battered myself senseless with a muntathon that started on Thursday at Autechre in London Bridge with some mates inc. our very own Chiefwhat and finished at 4 am on Monday morning at the closing party for Tresor in Berlin. I hopped on a plane straight to work and collapsed at about 4pm. Since then I've been rocking back and forth in a corner. It's entirely my own fault.

Those muntathons can be dangerous; you should have taken the spikey end off first. That's only for couples. And hopping - at your age - I wish I had the energy. Not surprised you collapsed. Put some ice on the knee.

Keep on rocking.
It was raining when we drove up the two-lane highway through the long tunnel of trees that led into the black district on the south end of St. Martinville.