R´n´B´s holy grail

Backslapping time. Well done us. We are fantastic.
Penk!
Midnight to Six Man

Postby Penk! » 21 Jun 2005, 22:34

Jeff K wrote:The upcoming Jamie Lidell CD, The City, sounds promising. I haven't heard it yet so I don't know if it fits into this category.

He's white as well. But it is fantastic, and I know I'm not the only one who keeps on talking about it. I'm probably not the best to assess it in the context of this thread, because I've never been big on funk, soul or R&B, but Lidell does seem to have meshed them together perfectly with his more experimental electronic instincts, using synths and the occasional digital stab to great effect. Probably my album of the year thus far.
fange wrote:One of the things i really dislike in this life is people raising their voices in German.

nathan
submitted for your approval

Postby nathan » 21 Jun 2005, 22:35

Jeff K wrote:
Ted Dancin' wrote:
Pure Marios wrote:Sharon Jones & The Dap-tones is the answer.

As much as I love their output, backwards thinking is not the answer.

The past 13 months has seen some damn fine modern R&B releases by fresh young talent that is both forward looking and catchy as hell.

What are some of the best releases for these newer artists?

Complex Simplicity by Teedra Moses is just wonderful. Probably the best of the modern ones. And Faith Evans latest finally delivered on her talent. She could easily be the next Mary J Blige. Even Ciara's record had some jaw-dropping tracks on it. Too bad the whole LP doesn't really hold up. It's still a singles based genre, which is fine by me.

And as far as males go, the new John Legend is very promising.

My name is Spaulding
Pancake Expert

Postby My name is Spaulding » 21 Jun 2005, 23:40

Ted Dancin' wrote:And as far as males go, the new John Legend is very promising.

You mean his debut from last year? I found it dull and bland.
Walk In My Shadow wrote:If Spaulding buys it, I'll buy it too.

Jeff K
The Original K

Postby Jeff K » 21 Jun 2005, 23:47

Penk!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! wrote:
Jeff K wrote:The upcoming Jamie Lidell CD, The City, sounds promising. I haven't heard it yet so I don't know if it fits into this category.

He's white as well. But it is fantastic, and I know I'm not the only one who keeps on talking about it. I'm probably not the best to assess it in the context of this thread, because I've never been big on funk, soul or R&B, but Lidell does seem to have meshed them together perfectly with his more experimental electronic instincts, using synths and the occasional digital stab to great effect. Probably my album of the year thus far.

The little I've heard reminded me of Jamiroquai and Terrance Trent D'arby with more electronica effects thrown in. Please tell me I'm wrong. He's been getting terrific reviews.
the science eel experiment wrote:Jesus Christ can't save BCB, i believe i can.

Penk!
Midnight to Six Man

Postby Penk! » 22 Jun 2005, 01:00

Jeff K wrote:

The little I've heard reminded me of Jamiroquai and Terrance Trent D'arby with more electronica effects thrown in. Please tell me I'm wrong. He's been getting terrific reviews.

It's way, way removed from Jamiroquai (can't comment on D'Arby, I've not really heard any of his stuff); it could have been pastiche but the songwriting is strong enough to avoid going down that road, there's a real sense that he genuinely loves the music, and when he really lets go on some of the wilder tracks it's like nothing you've heard before. He can really sing, too.
fange wrote:One of the things i really dislike in this life is people raising their voices in German.

My name is Spaulding
Pancake Expert

Postby My name is Spaulding » 22 Jun 2005, 08:58

Jeff K wrote:

It's way, way removed from Jamiroquai (can't comment on D'Arby, I've not really heard any of his stuff); it could have been pastiche but the songwriting is strong enough to avoid going down that road, there's a real sense that he genuinely loves the music, and when he really lets go on some of the wilder tracks it's like nothing you've heard before. He can really sing, too.

Thanks for the tip. I´ll check his music out this afternoon.

Penk!
Midnight to Six Man

Postby Penk! » 22 Jun 2005, 11:08

Captain Spaulding wrote:
Jeff K wrote:

Thanks for the tip. I´ll check his music out this afternoon.

A warning in case you do, then - his previous stuff was very different. Look for anything off 'Multiply', unless you're equally receptive to glitchy digitised madness.

Carl's Son
Grade A Shitpipe

Postby Carl's Son » 18 Jul 2005, 14:17

Kanye West's Through the Wire was a bloody brilliant single but that sped up sample grows old quickly and Jesus Walks was so bloody portentious!

His new one would be great as well but it has Shirly Bloody Bassey all over it! :roll:
I can just about handle you driving like a pissed up crackhead and treating women like beanbags but I'm gonna say this once and once only Gene, stay out of Camberwick Green!

www.chrischopping.virb.com

http://thatidiotchrischopping.blogspot.com

Jeff K
The Original K

Postby Jeff K » 18 Jul 2005, 23:40

There's a buzz about Leela James and even though I haven't heard anything by her yet, she seems tailormade for this kind of a thread.

Her debut was released last month and she's been compared to vintage Chaka Khan and Aretha.
the science eel experiment wrote:Jesus Christ can't save BCB, i believe i can.

The Write Profile
2017 BCB Cup Champ

Postby The Write Profile » 12 Dec 2005, 01:46

So, did the Jamie Lidel have staying power in the end. I must admit I was intrigued after hearing certain songs from it, and it's clear this guy had enough talent to assimilate himself into the chosen style...but I was worried whether it was a bit precious and studied, the sense that any individual could don that mask. That said, I never got to hear the whole record.

Regarding the Blueprint, if it's a narrative, it's mainly in the way Jay-Z finds one way after another to assert himself as the ruler of his own domain, the sense that his arrogance will steamroller his opponents in his path (c.f. the full-on dismissal of Nas and Mobb Depp in "Takeover"), while marshalling the next group of ubiquitous producers and sounds (and I suppose that's where he should get credit, too) . It's a self-affirmation, essentially, which makes The Black Album his signoff card only insofar that he's just not going to work very hard and leave others to do it for him ("I'm a writer for myself, and others"). But yeah, it's a fairly shallow, but impressively so, world. It's all in the music, essentially.
It's before my time but I've been told, he never came back from Karangahape Road.

My name is Spaulding
Pancake Expert

Postby My name is Spaulding » 12 Dec 2005, 11:07

Hey, Profiley, you really like this thread, don´t you?

As for your question regarding the Jamie Lidell album, I got it thanks to this very thread, and right now I think it was the definite answer to what I questioned in the first post. Now it´s a matter of finding out if he can live up to the promise of his debut.

Penk!
Midnight to Six Man

Postby Penk! » 23 Dec 2005, 00:07

Captain Spaulding wrote:Hey, Profiley, you really like this thread, don´t you?

As for your question regarding the Jamie Lidell album, I got it thanks to this very thread, and right now I think it was the definite answer to what I questioned in the first post. Now it´s a matter of finding out if he can live up to the promise of his debut.

Just re-reading this (a lot of old material being dredged up at the moment, perhaps it's something to do with seasonal nostalgia), and this ties neatly in with something I was thinking the other day - I'd asked the same question as TRP of myself, and noticed that Multiply was conspicuously absent from most people's end of year lists, mine aside. Personally I think the album has a lot of staying power - the songwriting's strong enough for it to register as a straightforward soul album, but his creative ambition raises it to another level entirely - The City, one of the most astonishing songs of the year, is a brilliant example of the way that in the modern world music can be changed and twisted to the artist's will; the slightly unnerving funk bassline and Lidell's sneering croon are the only constants while he throws more or less everything in his armoury into the track, and it results in a brilliantly nightmarish, exhausting journey. But perhaps most people weren't expecting something like that - he'd been built up as "the saviour of white soul", or whatever it was the poster quotes said, and with parts of the album being totally bizarre and off the wall, maybe it's understandable that a lot of people didn't really get as much out of it as they expected. Having been a fan for quite a while, I was expecting - hoping, really - that it was more than just a simple R&B affair so the presence of The City and the use of electronics throughout pleased me.
Having said this, the R&B thing is an avenue I don't think he'll pursue for much longer. Multiply is a world away from his debut, which was almost unlistenable computerised insanity, ranging from skittery, off-kilter beats to droning noise workouts, and when I saw him live recently his set merged the two styles, the vocal lines from Multiply juxtaposed with more experimental beats reminiscent of his days in Super_Collider. He's clearly a hugely talented singer and songwriter, but there's a sense that he's too restlessly creative to find himself a real niche - he could end up being regarded as a genre-hopping cult oddity, rather than seizing an opportunity like the one Multiply provided. And while I'd personally prefer the former, I'm guessing there's a lot of people who enjoyed Multiply who'd be more than happy for him to do the latter.

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 23 Dec 2005, 15:23

I'd stick Anthony Hamilton in there as a contender. His new album is really good---Ain't Nobody Worryin'.
Don't fake the funk on a nasty dunk!

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 23 Dec 2005, 15:24

nathan wrote:
Jeff K wrote:
Ted Dancin' wrote:
Pure Marios wrote:Sharon Jones & The Dap-tones is the answer.

As much as I love their output, backwards thinking is not the answer.

The past 13 months has seen some damn fine modern R&B releases by fresh young talent that is both forward looking and catchy as hell.

What are some of the best releases for these newer artists?

Complex Simplicity by Teedra Moses is just wonderful. Probably the best of the modern ones. And Faith Evans latest finally delivered on her talent. She could easily be the next Mary J Blige. Even Ciara's record had some jaw-dropping tracks on it. Too bad the whole LP doesn't really hold up. It's still a singles based genre, which is fine by me.

And as far as males go, the new John Legend is very promising.

I'm not sold on Teedra Moses, but listen to Nathan.
Don't fake the funk on a nasty dunk!

Carl's Son
Grade A Shitpipe

Postby Carl's Son » 23 Dec 2005, 15:57

Must be an end of year thing but I finally got round to downloading some Jamie Liddel, pretty good.

while I was there I also downloaded "The Seed" by The Roots. Awesome!
I read here that it's the only track that it matters that they are a band but are the other tracks any good?
I can just about handle you driving like a pissed up crackhead and treating women like beanbags but I'm gonna say this once and once only Gene, stay out of Camberwick Green!

www.chrischopping.virb.com

http://thatidiotchrischopping.blogspot.com

My name is Spaulding
Pancake Expert

Postby My name is Spaulding » 20 Jan 2006, 09:02

Has anybody heard this one?
I´ve only read good things about it, and with comparisons to people like Bobby Womack, Bill Withers or Donny Hathaway, it surely can´t be bad.

Moleskin
Location: We began to notice that we could be free, And we moved together to the West.

Postby Moleskin » 20 Jan 2006, 09:04

Sloop John C recommended it just a few posts above. I'd guess he's heard it.
@hewsim
-the artist formerly known as comrade moleskin-
-the unforgettable waldo jeffers-

Jug Band Music
my own music

Brother Spoon
Billy Crystal

Postby Brother Spoon » 20 Jan 2006, 09:05

That Jamie Lidell album is definitely plastic soul.
Sorry to disappoint you all. I know you had your hopes up.

My name is Spaulding
Pancake Expert

Postby My name is Spaulding » 20 Jan 2006, 09:24

Spoon No More Disguises wrote:That Jamie Lidell album is definitely plastic soul.
Sorry to disappoint you all. I know you had your hopes up.

erm...

You´re wrong very few times, but when you´re wrong...

My name is Spaulding
Pancake Expert

Postby My name is Spaulding » 20 Jan 2006, 09:25

moleskin wrote:Sloop John C recommended it just a few posts above. I'd guess he's heard it.

:oops: That´s what happens when one resurrects a thread without checking the last posts on it.

Return to “Classic Threads & Treasury of Mirth”