"What movie/DVD/video did you watch today" returns

Backslapping time. Well done us. We are fantastic.
Quaco
F R double E

Postby Quaco » 05 Jun 2005, 21:05

snarfyguy wrote:
Quaco wrote:Oh yeah ... "cinema", "Communism", "art" ... like anybody cares. We know Godard's real motives: to show sexy girls!

Can the artist have a more noble aspiration? I think not!

Just look at Botticelli. Like anyone notices the seashell!
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Ranking Ted

Postby Ranking Ted » 05 Jun 2005, 21:28

My name is Spaulding
Pancake Expert

Postby My name is Spaulding » 06 Jun 2005, 00:06

Silly + talent = brilliant.
Walk In My Shadow wrote:If Spaulding buys it, I'll buy it too.

Anon

Postby Anon » 06 Jun 2005, 00:18

Last Night:

Brilliant. Truly. I couldn't take my eyes off the screen and it strengthened my love of a band I already adored. Brilliantly made too.
Today:

Which I absolutely loved. So faithful to the comics it's unbelievable, and so devastatingly stylish, exciting and fun.

My name is Spaulding
Pancake Expert

Postby My name is Spaulding » 06 Jun 2005, 01:00

I really want to see those two movies, Mr. Zebra.

Anon

Postby Anon » 06 Jun 2005, 01:15

Well, you should. The first ceases to be about the band (it's never really about the band, but is based around them as an entity earlier on) about half way in and becomes a fantastic study of the characters of The Flaming Lips themselves. the entire story centering on Steven Drozd is just heartbreakingly honest and painful to see almost. The film is filled with shifts from the heartbreaking to heartwarming and it's both compelling and involving and I loved it. I'm scared to watch it again because I don't want to weaken it's effect.

On the contrary, I could watch Sin City all day, it's stylish, brilliantly shot, echoes the source material perfectly (so it's violent, striking, interesting, the characters are detailed and involving) and the film looks just like the comic did, with almost every frame from the 3 volumes of the comic book in the movie, actually in the movie. Great fun, well performed, and it's always a joy to see Mickey Rourke. :D I can smell the Pulp Fiction comparisons, but I think I actually prefer this..

Warning: Opinions may be coloured by the fact it's 1:15 am and i've not slept since Saturday morning.

Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure

Postby Snarfyguy » 06 Jun 2005, 04:12

Captain Spaulding wrote:Silly + talent = brilliant.

I'm so glad you liked it. :D
Jimbo wrote:Look, all I know is pretty much what I get from Robert Parry over at Consortium News.

sensi

Postby sensi » 06 Jun 2005, 08:41

fueryhk wrote:
sensemeliawopnibop wrote:Image

I'm saying nothing! :x

Is it any good? The reviews have been somewhat underwhelming. Very much doubt this one will make it to HK so will have to wait for the DVD

It isn't bad...not as funny as I had hoped and you hardly see Papa Lazarou and Edward and Tubbs at all...the characters are mainly Herr Lip Briss and Geoff (who is very funny) but if you are going especially to see lots of Papa Lazarou Edward and Tubbs...like I was...you will be dissapointed!

The story is set around the League of Gentlemen not writing anything else for Royston Vasey and the characters trying to force them too...it is surreal (as you would expect) but it works!

My name is Spaulding
Pancake Expert

Postby My name is Spaulding » 06 Jun 2005, 08:44

snarfyguy wrote:
Captain Spaulding wrote:Silly + talent = brilliant.

I'm so glad you liked it. :D

Hell yeah! Thanks for giving me the extra push.

the masked man
Schadenfreude

Postby the masked man » 06 Jun 2005, 09:00

sensemeliawopnibop wrote:...the characters are mainly Herr Lip Briss and Geoff (who is very funny) but if you are going especially to see lots of Papa Lazarou Edward and Tubbs...like I was...you will be dissapointed!

Well, I'm pleased that there's plenty of Geoff in the film at least - his wedding speech was one of the funniest things in the TV series. But it's a bit naughty to have Edward and Tubbs plastered over the posters and trailer when they don't feature much.

Jeemo

Postby Jeemo » 06 Jun 2005, 09:06

Oustanding

Mikey Rouke, amazing
Image So Long Kid, Take A Bow.

Mr Maps
a drunk in a midnight choir

Postby Mr Maps » 06 Jun 2005, 13:24

nathan wrote:I realize there is a time and a place for unsexy music, but I personally have no time for it.

Django wrote: It's video clips of earnest post-rock I want, and I have little time for anything else.

19th biggest tosser on BCB

marios

Postby marios » 06 Jun 2005, 20:32

In the last week:

As a bleak and chilling mood piece, The Machinist gets under your skin and stays there. Christian Bale threw himself into the title role with such devotion that he shed an alarming 63 pounds to play Trevor Reznik (talk about "starving artist"!), a factory worker who hasn't slept in a year. He's haunted by some mysterious occurrence that turned him into a paranoid husk, sleepwalking a fine line between harsh reality and nightmare fantasy--a state of mind that leaves him looking disturbingly gaunt and skeletal in appearance. (It's no exaggeration to say that Bale resembles a Holocaust survivor from vintage Nazi-camp liberation newsreels.) In a cinematic territory far removed from his 1998 romantic comedy Next Stop Wonderland, director Brad Anderson orchestrates a grimy, nocturnal world of washed-out blues and grays, as Trevor struggles to assemble the clues of his psychological conundrum. With a friendly hooker (Jennifer Jason Leigh) and airport waitress (Aitana Sánchez-Gijón) as his only stable links to sanity, Trevor reaches critical mass and seems ready to implode just as The Machinist reveals its secrets. For those who don't mind a trip to hell with a theremin-laced soundtrack, The Machinist seems primed for long-term status as a cult thriller on the edge. --Jeff Shannon - Amazon Reviews

I liked it a lot. And you have to see it just for Bale! He's not a very good actor if you ask me but he was willing to lose 63 pounds (eat that De Niro!) for this film, cause the script said that the protagonist had to look like a "walking skeleton"! The director couldn't get this made in the US so he got a Spanish production company to fund it and it's filmed in Barcelona (although it's set in the US).

Possibly, my favourite film noir. The "special effects" look ridiculous though. And if you were wondering where Tarantino stole his "mysterious glowing briefcase" idea for Pulp Fiction, well...this is it.

I'm a fan. But how many times do they think it's appropriate for the lead (Christian) to find himself tied up on a bed (or surgical bed) with someone carving up his face with a knife or surgical blade. I counted at least 3. Maybe it was 4. Does anyone else watch this?

It was good. Kate Blanchett especially, but Di Caprio was quite effective as Hughes.

Tonight i'll start this:

the masked man
Schadenfreude

Postby the masked man » 07 Jun 2005, 00:08

Offbeat, wry French comedy, in which a factory worker, bored with a loveless marriage and a village full of curious eccentrics, visits Venice in an attempt to find something new.

It's all a little inconsequential, but Georgian director Otar Iosseliani directs with control and subtlety, and the best moments recall Tati. In fact, it's highly pleasing, though the film's slender concept means its 2 hour-plus length drags a little. As we are distanced from any character in the film, longueurs are inevitable.

James R
the grocer of despair

Postby James R » 07 Jun 2005, 09:58

Imperial m.a.r.i.o.s. wrote:In the last week:

I liked it a lot. And you have to see it just for Bale! He's not a very good actor if you ask me but he was willing to lose 63 pounds (eat that De Niro!) for this film, cause the script said that the protagonist had to look like a "walking skeleton"!

Just come home from seeing this one. I found it unsatisfying. An astonishing piece of work by Bale, mind you.
pcqgod wrote:I like how Liebling progresses from a rotting, animated corpse living in his parents' basement to a slightly more life-affirming walking corpse by the end of the movie.

Goat Boy wrote:I recall a midget with large tits dancing.

marios

Postby marios » 07 Jun 2005, 10:14

The JR, about the Machinist wrote: Just come home from seeing this one. I found it unsatisfying. An astonishing piece of work by Bale, mind you.

Perhaps a reason i liked it was because i really expected it to be shit and i was blown away by Bale's transformation. Or perhaps it's because i saw the "making of" feature on the DVD and i came to appreciate it a bit more. Who knows? I don't think i'd like to see it again anytime soon but for a psychological thriller it was more than OK. The genre has become so saturated that it's impossible to do anything trully original anymore, so i was ready to cut it some slack.

Maxwell's Golden Pickaxe
spud thick mick

Postby Maxwell's Golden Pickaxe » 07 Jun 2005, 10:20

Jeemo wrote:Image

Oustanding

Mikey Rouke, amazing

Yes.

Ultra-violent, very funny, stylish and sexy. Jessica Alba? ooh babay!!

Spec

Postby Spec » 07 Jun 2005, 11:29

Quaco wrote:Oh yeah ... "cinema", "Communism", "art" ... like anybody cares. We know Godard's real motives: to show sexy girls!

exactly