What do you think really defines British pop?

Backslapping time. Well done us. We are fantastic.
The Black Shadow
King Pest

Postby The Black Shadow » 15 Dec 2004, 13:32

Something XMas Pieter wrote:
neverknoëls wrote:I wonder what Pieter Spoon would have to say about it?

:oops: I couldn't think of anything.

Actually I don't think the 'blurring of genres' argument works quite as well as being posited here. Of course we all know what a Frankenstein creature rock 'n' roll was to start with, and I don't think the mixing and matching ended there.
In the '60s you had the Byrds mixing country with pop and rock, you had Miles Davis adding rockinstruments to jazz,...
In the '70s there was a lot of country-soul being made (as is being rediscovered right now), a lot of the CBGB bands mixed up a lot of different things in their music (just think of the Talking Heads and their world music fixation for a start), then there was the birth of hip-hop which takes the mixing of genres to a whole new level.
Etc. Etc... (No, I'm not running out of examples.)

On the other hand, I don't see what was so genreblurring about Britpop at all. Was there really that much to it besides reviving some glamrock clichés?

When I think of British pop I think of artschool. They either went to it or they sound like they wish they'd gone to it. It's an unfortunate over-intelluctualising of what works best when it remains in the unconscious. It's about looking popmusic over and deciding that it's not enough of a good thing, no, it has to be Art as well.

Hey, someone asked for my two cents. :wink:

Wow, I actually agree with you.

:x
"What part of andele! don't you understand, you yankee piece of scum?"

Hugo

Postby Hugo » 15 Dec 2004, 13:45

I probably overstated the genre-blurring case, but I think the fact remains that in general, British pop has been more indiscriminate in its influences than the American counterpart. You are spot-on about about the art-school influence. It really is amazing how many of the key players went to art school - Lennon, Barrett, Ferry, Bowie etc. I wonder why there isn't an equivalent art school influence in American pop?

The Black Shadow
King Pest

Postby The Black Shadow » 15 Dec 2004, 13:54

The Electrician wrote:I probably overstated the genre-blurring case, but I think the fact remains that in general, British pop has been more indiscriminate in its influences than the American counterpart. You are spot-on about about the art-school influence. It really is amazing how many of the key players went to art school - Lennon, Barrett, Ferry, Bowie etc. I wonder why there isn't an equivalent art school influence in American pop?

They made a movie about that called Fame, that's why.
"What part of andele! don't you understand, you yankee piece of scum?"

Brother Spoon
Billy Crystal

Postby Brother Spoon » 15 Dec 2004, 13:55

The Electrician wrote: I wonder why there isn't an equivalent art school influence in American pop?

I don't know.
I'm still wondering why there is an art school influence in British pop.

Hugo

Postby Hugo » 15 Dec 2004, 14:12

The Electrician wrote: I wonder why there isn't an equivalent art school influence in American pop?

I don't know.
I'm still wondering why there is an art school influence in British pop.

Unlike you, though, I don't see it as a negative thing (except in the case of britpop). I think the British art school thing might be aspirational - artistically-orientated working-class and lower-middle-class kids looking for a way up and out, in a class-neutral environment they don't feel excluded from.

Brother Spoon
Billy Crystal

Postby Brother Spoon » 15 Dec 2004, 14:14

The Electrician wrote:
Unlike you, though, I don't see it as a negative thing (except in the case of britpop). I think the British art school thing might be aspirational - artistically-orientated working-class and lower-middle-class kids looking for a way up and out, in a class-neutral environment they don't feel excluded from.

I'm happy for them, really, but I rather not listen to the results anymore.

Brother Spoon
Billy Crystal

Postby Brother Spoon » 15 Dec 2004, 14:26

neverknoëls wrote:
The Electrician wrote:

I'm happy for them, really, but I rather not listen to the results anymore.

You know, Pieter, the thread is about British pop, not BritPop.

It all went wrong when the Beatles broke up.

Penk!
Midnight to Six Man

Postby Penk! » 15 Dec 2004, 23:39

butch manly wrote:
Something XMas Pieter wrote:When I think of British pop I think of artschool. They either went to it or they sound like they wish they'd gone to it. It's an unfortunate over-intelluctualising of what works best when it remains in the unconscious. It's about looking popmusic over and deciding that it's not enough of a good thing, no, it has to be Art as well.

...says the man who thinks sonic youth are better than the JAMC.

He does? Really? And he actually tells people this?
fange wrote:One of the things i really dislike in this life is people raising their voices in German.

The Write Profile
2017 BCB Cup Champ

Postby The Write Profile » 15 Dec 2004, 23:48

I think the deliberate genre blurring occurs in all great british music, not just the stuff with the guitars. I guess it's the need to be slightly askew in the approach, even if it doesn't always work. It's there in things like Soul II Soul, Coldcut, Massive Attack, Fourtet etc.

Artifice is something I've discussed with Bro. Spoon a bit in pms and I kind of see where he's coming from in the argument about loading too much meaning into pop music--but the best stuff is probably more of a case of 'playing' around with form rather than intellectualising.

For some reason, Edwyn Collins springs to mind, even though he's Scottish. If you take the idea too far, you get into the slightly dangerous terrain of 'pop music about pop music', which almost ironises [sic] it one step too far. So it's a matter of getting the balance right, I suppose.

Strange, I tried to think of an obvious British example, and I come up with a Scot.
It's before my time but I've been told, he never came back from Karangahape Road.

Harry Webster

Postby Harry Webster » 15 Dec 2004, 23:50

neverknoëls wrote:I wonder what Pieter Spoon would have to say about it?

:oops: I couldn't think of anything.

Actually I don't think the 'blurring of genres' argument works quite as well as being posited here. Of course we all know what a Frankenstein creature rock 'n' roll was to start with, and I don't think the mixing and matching ended there.
In the '60s you had the Byrds mixing country with pop and rock, you had Miles Davis adding rockinstruments to jazz,...
In the '70s there was a lot of country-soul being made (as is being rediscovered right now), a lot of the CBGB bands mixed up a lot of different things in their music (just think of the Talking Heads and their world music fixation for a start), then there was the birth of hip-hop which takes the mixing of genres to a whole new level.
Etc. Etc... (No, I'm not running out of examples.)

On the other hand, I don't see what was so genreblurring about Britpop at all. Was there really that much to it besides reviving some glamrock clichés?

When I think of British pop I think of artschool. They either went to it or they sound like they wish they'd gone to it. It's an unfortunate over-intelluctualising of what works best when it remains in the unconscious. It's about looking popmusic over and deciding that it's not enough of a good thing, no, it has to be Art as well.

"Belgiums In The Congo"!
As you say, we would do well to listen to Billy Joel on such occasions.
Play hard, Play to win

Penk!
Midnight to Six Man

Postby Penk! » 15 Dec 2004, 23:50

The Right Summery Profile wrote: Strange, I tried to think of an obvious British example, and I come up with a Scot.

Well, they are more British I suppose, overseas culture hasn't quite penetrated that far up yet...
fange wrote:One of the things i really dislike in this life is people raising their voices in German.

The Write Profile
2017 BCB Cup Champ

Postby The Write Profile » 16 Dec 2004, 02:05

yet again, I've thought of an Irishman but...Kevin Rowland and early period Dexy's.

what their first two albums signify for me, is something neverknows touched upon-- a sense of the "can do anything" type-arrogance that's both bold and ludicruous, but in the case of them, they carried it off with such vigour and aplomb that it's almost impossible to ignore. There seems to be a very parocial slant in some of the lyrics as there is a lot of dicussion on "Burn it Down" about what Rowland perceives as racism towards Irish from Brits ("Never heard about Oscar Wilde... etc"), Also there is an acknolwedgement of history ("Geno") but the feeling that he's stripping it down. Maybe that's British or just universal pop arrogance, I don't know.
It's before my time but I've been told, he never came back from Karangahape Road.

Card Cheat

Postby Card Cheat » 27 Jan 2005, 23:52

Thinking about this some more lead me to question where a group like The Pogues fit into this argument. I mean, on one hand, they're far too Irish aren't they to be comsidered British. And yet there's the clear emotional geography of London as well, particularly in a lot of their early work.

I wonder whether someone could help me out here, how British are the Pogues? And if they are, then where does Britishness stop?
"Shut up and deal"

The Modernist

Postby The Modernist » 27 Jan 2005, 23:57

Card Cheat wrote:Thinking about this some more lead me to question where a group like The Pogues fit into this argument. I mean, on one hand, they're far too Irish aren't they to be comsidered British. And yet there's the clear emotional geography of London as well, particularly in a lot of their early work.

I wonder whether someone could help me out here, how British are the Pogues? And if they are, then where does Britishness stop?

I'd call them London -Irish, not British.

Billybob Dylan
Bonehead

Postby Billybob Dylan » 28 Jan 2005, 00:10

Card Cheat wrote:Thinking about this some more lead me to question where a group like The Pogues fit into this argument. I mean, on one hand, they're far too Irish aren't they to be comsidered British. And yet there's the clear emotional geography of London as well, particularly in a lot of their early work.

The Irish connection is with the Republic though, isn't it? Rather than Ulster. So unless one of them was born before 1922, they couldn't be considered "British."
"I've been reduced to thruppence!"

Owen
definitely not Travolta

Postby Owen » 28 Jan 2005, 00:12

Billybob Dylan wrote:

The Irish connection is with the Republic though, isn't it? Rather than Ulster. So unless one of them was born before 1922, they couldn't be considered "British."

A couple of the pogues were on the radcliffe show last night talking about how they had about 5 members before anyone with an irish passport joined. Most of them were born in the UK. I think they probably count as one of the great london bands as well as a great irish one.

copehead
BCB Cup Stalinist

Postby copehead » 28 Jan 2005, 00:26

Owen wrote:
Billybob Dylan wrote:

A couple of the pogues were on the radcliffe show last night talking about how they had about 5 members before anyone with an irish passport joined. Most of them were born in the UK. I think they probably count as one of the great london bands as well as a great irish one.

That's what the song "Transmetropolitan" is all about.

Oh, and to answer the question, it is cross genre experimentalism and being open to different musical styles as someone else pointed out above
Moorcock, Moorcock, Michael Moorcock, you fervently moan.

Bear baiting & dog fights a speciality.

Spandau Billy

Postby Spandau Billy » 23 Nov 2005, 02:05

What do I think defines british pop music? One word :

Spandau Ballet.
Meanwhile, I'm still listening to Marvin, all night long.

Return to “Classic Threads & Treasury of Mirth”