Memphis Jolly-Up, May 26-30, 2005.

Backslapping time. Well done us. We are fantastic.
The Slider
Self-Aggrandising Cock

Postby The Slider » 30 Dec 2004, 09:09

A bear told me about this last night.

I'm interested.
Complete Ramones Mp3 set on its way

Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure

Postby Snarfyguy » 30 Dec 2004, 18:16

Livet Bells wrote:
snarfyguy wrote:And which hotel are you all at, anyway? I haven't seen any BCBers yet.

I hope you all didn't get the dates wrong! :evil:

You're definitely at the right place. Just a little early...can you hang out and wait?

Okay, I'll just be over at the hookah bar off the main square. Wake me up when you get here...
GoogaMooga wrote: The further away from home you go, the greater the risk of getting stuck there.

eelpie62
carpetbagger

Postby eelpie62 » 30 Dec 2004, 23:21

I'll be living in Birmingham by then, so the (by that time) new wife and myself are definately planning on being there. We just drove across country and I now know the drive from Memphis to B-ham to be a nice little morning jaunt. Actually, B-ham to Chatanooga, Nashville and Memphis are all between 3 and 5 hours. N'awlins is a trip we made a few years ago to meet Mr. Slater's Parrot, and it's not a bad car ride either.
We'll be on a newlywed budget so will probably stay in a Ho-Jo or Motel 6 but we'll be in a Ford Windstar
(behold: The Ultimate Behemoth: Image)
so could probably be counted upon to move up to seven people (including the driver and his bride) from place to place.
Clarksdale Mississippi is very high on my list of places to visit, been looking forward to the Delta Blues museum ever since I heard about it.
"Nuts"
~ Anthony McAuliffe, December 22, 1944

Sambient

Postby Sambient » 31 Dec 2004, 02:39

I've been thumbing through Frommer's Nashville & Memphis guide (apparently we've chosen a destination that can't even warrant it's own guide book) for the past two days. I've been wondering things like who knows the area well enough to pick a good venue for the jolly itself. And I too had thoughts of if we book the same place getting a group rate. I'll say again what I keep saying, I'm interested in a place with a pool. So far, I'm not seeing many with indoor pools, but the Comfort Inn Downtown has a rooftop pool, though that seems to be all it has going for it. Actually, I've just peeked again and the Hampton Inn & Suites-Peabody Place appears to be located near most of the weekend festivities. Here's what the guide says, "You can't get closer to spending the night on Beale Street unless you pass out on the pavement after a blues-soaked binge of bar hopping." Huh? Huh? Sound good?
It seems like Downtown is where we'd want to be.
There's this place, which seems interesting http://www.southernfolklore.com. What I read in the guide says there's even 'net access. So we could jolly and share the love here on the boards at the same time.
Anyway, I'm still futzing with this guide book, just wanted to share some of the stuff that seems to stand out so far.
And I've still not decided how I'm traveling, plane, trains, automobile.

Shagger Dave
connecticut hermit

Postby Shagger Dave » 31 Dec 2004, 04:15

Sambient wrote:I've been thumbing through Frommer's Nashville & Memphis guide (apparently we've chosen a destination that can't even warrant it's own guide book) for the past two days. I've been wondering things like who knows the area well enough to pick a good venue for the jolly itself. And I too had thoughts of if we book the same place getting a group rate. I'll say again what I keep saying, I'm interested in a place with a pool. So far, I'm not seeing many with indoor pools, but the Comfort Inn Downtown has a rooftop pool, though that seems to be all it has going for it. Actually, I've just peeked again and the Hampton Inn & Suites-Peabody Place appears to be located near most of the weekend festivities. Here's what the guide says, "You can't get closer to spending the night on Beale Street unless you pass out on the pavement after a blues-soaked binge of bar hopping." Huh? Huh? Sound good?
It seems like Downtown is where we'd want to be.
There's this place, which seems interesting http://www.southernfolklore.com. What I read in the guide says there's even 'net access. So we could jolly and share the love here on the boards at the same time.
Anyway, I'm still futzing with this guide book, just wanted to share some of the stuff that seems to stand out so far.
And I've still not decided how I'm traveling, plane, trains, automobile.

If memory serves the Expedia site states the Peabody has a rooftop pool, which sound very Riot House to me, which makes it appealing. The only pronblem is the price. How soon in advance would we need to try and book a group rate?
He tries.

Sambient

Postby Sambient » 31 Dec 2004, 11:54

The Peabody proper is likely to be over the range most of us were counting on. And, it's the world renowned Peabody, I'm sure they don't have to discount for groups. I'm guessing because the place is so dominant is why the name Peabody is attatched to other things there, including a street. If we're in the neighborhood I'd enjoy seeing the famous Peabody ducks, but I don't have to hang my hat there.
Right now is a very busy hotel time, so perhaps if we wait about a week a few of us can call around some of the more desirable choices, without giving the name of our group and see what we can do. We'll compare the rate here and choose something.

Anyone have ANY insight on accommadations or venues in Memphis?

Poppypoobah
Resident Hotty

Postby Poppypoobah » 04 Jan 2005, 03:00

Anyone getting themselves to the DC area can hitch a ride in a mazda minivan with mp3, dvd and Playstation. Seats 7 comfortably. experienced driver, smoking allowed.

Sambient

Postby Sambient » 04 Jan 2005, 14:11

Hotsie Xmas (War Is Over) wrote:Anyone getting themselves to the DC area can hitch a ride in a mazda minivan with mp3, dvd and Playstation. Seats 7 comfortably. experienced driver, smoking allowed.

I am considering this option. What is the estimated length of the journey from there to Memphis? Are you planning on driving exclusively or are you looking for someone to share duties? I would, of course help with expenses of gas and tolls.

Poppypoobah
Resident Hotty

Postby Poppypoobah » 04 Jan 2005, 20:46

Deep Blue Sambient wrote:
Hotsie Xmas (War Is Over) wrote:Anyone getting themselves to the DC area can hitch a ride in a mazda minivan with mp3, dvd and Playstation. Seats 7 comfortably. experienced driver, smoking allowed.

I am considering this option. What is the estimated length of the journey from there to Memphis? Are you planning on driving exclusively or are you looking for someone to share duties? I would, of course help with expenses of gas and tolls.

I just checked mapquest and it gives the time as about 14 to 15 hours of driving! If we get enough people willing to take a few hours turn behind the wheel it would be doable, but that is a long drive for sure.

Shagger Dave
connecticut hermit

Postby Shagger Dave » 11 Jan 2005, 04:45

Let's lay down some critetra for a hotel we all could live with. My guesses:

-pool
-downtown
-on site restuarant or bar/a few near by
-free parking
-airport shuttle

Any other neccessities?
He tries.

Postby Guest » 11 Jan 2005, 04:47

Shagger Dave wrote:Any other neccessities?

A webcam, methinks, to record the orgies for our dear brethren here.

Shagger Dave
connecticut hermit

Postby Shagger Dave » 11 Jan 2005, 04:50

cheepniz wrote:

A webcam, methinks, to record the orgies for our dear brethren here.

Easy access to an in call executive health spa as well, now that I think about it.
He tries.

Gater

Postby Gater » 12 Jan 2005, 00:12

An outside entrance to my room.
I wont retire,but I might retread.

Livet
'progressively malty'

Postby Livet » 12 Jan 2005, 01:15

Minibar
The crazy music drives you insane

Shagger Dave
connecticut hermit

Postby Shagger Dave » 12 Jan 2005, 02:26

Livet wrote:

Minibar

Containing nothing but Johnny Walker Black?
He tries.

Postby Guest » 12 Jan 2005, 02:28

Shagger Dave wrote:
Livet wrote:

Minibar

I dunno about that. She was big on the JW red the other night.

Shagger Dave
connecticut hermit

Postby Shagger Dave » 12 Jan 2005, 02:53

cheepniz wrote:
Shagger Dave wrote:
Livet wrote:

Minibar

I dunno about that. She was big on the JW red the other night.

I knew it was Red or Black but couldn't remember. It was 50/50 shot and I blew it. :(
He tries.

Livet
'progressively malty'

Postby Livet » 12 Jan 2005, 03:20

Shagger Dave wrote:I knew it was Red or Black but couldn't remember. It was 50/50 shot and I blew it. :(

Actually, either one would be welcomed in my minibar - I'm an equal opportunity employer.
The crazy music drives you insane

Shagger Dave
connecticut hermit

Postby Shagger Dave » 12 Jan 2005, 03:31

Livet wrote:
Shagger Dave wrote:I knew it was Red or Black but couldn't remember. It was 50/50 shot and I blew it. :(

Actually, either one would be welcomed in my minibar - I'm an equal opportunity employer.

Strength is in diversity, that's what I say!
He tries.

Sambient

Postby Sambient » 12 Jan 2005, 03:52

Shagger Dave wrote:Let's lay down some critetra for a hotel we all could live with. My guesses:

-pool
-downtown
-on site restuarant or bar/a few near by
-free parking
-airport shuttle

Any other neccessities?

in each room: a bed!

Return to “Classic Threads & Treasury of Mirth”