Memphis Jolly-Up, May 26-30, 2005.

Backslapping time. Well done us. We are fantastic.
Livet
'progressively malty'

Postby Livet » 01 Jun 2005, 03:32

Instead of going into the details of the trip which have been mentioned pretty well so far, I’ll just give a few impressions of all the great BCBers who made this trip exceptionally fantastic.

As mischievous as Sam is on the board, she’s that much worst in person.

Velvis acts all deadpan and serious … and comes out with some hysterical shit.

Shagger Dave – well as his evil twin brother says, Dave’s got more toys than his three year old daughter.

T. Berry – truly nuttier than squirrel shit, and no mistake.

Take-5 – the best corpse ever.

Fish – Despite getting devastatingly drunk just about every night, was completely awake and chipper in the morning. He’s my new idol.

Yomptepi – I’ve never seen him this enthusiastic – a wonderful sight to behold.

Six String – Just as cool as you’d imagine.

Baron and Baroness – completely fabulous.

Phenomenal Cat – quite insane.

Loveless – Also insane. It must be in the water.

Geoffcowgill – Appears sane, but is obviously not.
The crazy music drives you insane

Obvious Ralph

Postby Obvious Ralph » 01 Jun 2005, 03:34

T. Berry Shuffle wrote:The man was on fire.

Was he okay?

The Fish
Beer Battered

Postby The Fish » 01 Jun 2005, 11:13

Well I've arrived safely back home. I'll just add along with everyone else that all the folks I met were indeed fabulous company, and I look forward to seeing each and every one of them at some stage in the future.

The only down points

1) Moonie's no show, due to circumstances outside of her control.
2) Myself and Rita waiting for a taxi after the above mentioned Blue Monkey night. Taxis (X2) duly ordered. Kick out of bar at 3. One taxi turns up and the remander jump in leaving me and Rita waiting for the other. About 4.15 the fucker shows up !! Back at hotel at about 4:30. Consequently never did get the chance to say goodbye to Rita properly, as I was up in time to meet the Shaggers at the Civil Rights Museum at 10 (and I'm guessing Rita wasn't :lol: ).

This trip exceeded (my already fairly high) expectations, and I wouldn't have missed it for anything.
We're way past rhubarb

Velvis
Mellowed down easy

Postby Velvis » 01 Jun 2005, 11:31

I bet one of your high points was jiggling my tit, though.

To explain, there was a middle-aged barmaid with a beer outside one of the Beale Street bars. She was jiggling. I think the idea was for it to be a seductive come-on for patrons, but it wasn't really working for her.

I remarked on this at dinner, and Paul the Fish proceeded to jiggle my left tit. Over the course of the evening, he did it several times.

Man, I thought those Englishmen were supposed to be reserved. Not so! He flopped my tit out right into my bowl of jambalaya, bold as love!
a gibbon running freely

Velvis
Mellowed down easy

Postby Velvis » 01 Jun 2005, 11:50

On the oft-attempted but never successful quest to replicate the Sun Records sound.

Do you think part of it is that weirdly scalloped ceiling--the part near the control room? The ceiling on that side of the room unfurls in a couple of deep waves before it flattens out.
a gibbon running freely

Poppypoobah
Resident Hotty

Postby Poppypoobah » 01 Jun 2005, 11:53

Velvis wrote:I bet one of your high points was jiggling my tit, though.

To explain, there was a middle-aged barmaid with a beer outside one of the Beale Street bars. She was jiggling. I think the idea was for it to be a seductive come-on for patrons, but it wasn't really working for her.

I remarked on this at dinner, and Paul the Fish proceeded to jiggle my left tit. Over the course of the evening, he did it several times.

Man, I thought those Englishmen were supposed to be reserved. Not so! He flopped my tit out right into my bowl of jambalaya, bold as love!
Reserved? Heck no! They're kinky devils!

Tactful Cactus

Postby Tactful Cactus » 01 Jun 2005, 12:56

Phenomenal Cat wrote:I think renting it at $75 an hour is a steal. That includes all the equipment and an engineer!

Its ridiculously cheap. Im wondering where the catch is. Does Sun studios not sound like Sun studios anymore? Maybe the daily throngs of tourists have killed the vibe.

I might be in Memphis for a few days in a couple of months time, anyone willing to go halvsees for a session some night? Its too good to pass on.

yomptepi
BCB thumbscrew of Justice

Postby yomptepi » 01 Jun 2005, 17:57

I appear to be stuck in New Orleans.
The airline will nor change my flight , as it is full, and an alternative is going to cost over 600 bucks...
Looks like I will have to take the train back to Memphis ( 9 hours +) tomorrow, and stay in a hotel downtown. I am absolutely exhausted, as it is hot and humid here ( 87% humidity). However, Bourbon street is awsome, and I'm off to ride the trolly ( sorry Streetcar) around town for the rest of the day ( its noon here)

And I still have lost my voice....
You don't like me...do you?

Poppypoobah
Resident Hotty

Postby Poppypoobah » 01 Jun 2005, 18:35

I thought you were off on the trolly?

Six String

Postby Six String » 01 Jun 2005, 18:46

Sorry to hear of your travel problems Yomp. My voice is coming back and I think one more good nights sleep and I'll be right as rain again.
Just in time for my three day weekend and more music. Hope you're able to listen to your compilation pile on the train.
Everything is broken
B. Dylan

eelpie62
carpetbagger

Postby eelpie62 » 01 Jun 2005, 18:48

Did you make it down to Cafe Du Monde for some coffee w/chickory and deep fried batter with powdered sugar on top?
How about deep fried pickles?
And pralines. Please say you didn't miss out on the pralines!
"Nuts"
~ Anthony McAuliffe, December 22, 1944

eelpie62
carpetbagger

Postby eelpie62 » 01 Jun 2005, 18:49

goldwax wrote:Check out Cafe du Monde (800 Decatur St) for fresh hot beignets (basically rectangular doughnuts smothered in confectioner's sugar) and chickory coffee.

Jynx, you owe me a Coke™.
"Nuts"
~ Anthony McAuliffe, December 22, 1944

T. Berry Shuffle
sharp-eyed archivist

Postby T. Berry Shuffle » 01 Jun 2005, 19:04

Check your Pms Yomps - I got you sorted for a room.
You read that in a book, didn't you?!

Sambient

Postby Sambient » 01 Jun 2005, 20:15

Some of my Memphis highlights.

Thursday morning was about waiting for me. I had to wait to board my delayed flight. In Memphis I had to wait for the hotel shuttle that was never coming. Yomp took care of things for me though. He galloped astride the minibus ready to sweep me off to our home base for the next few days.
For those next few days, we congradulated ourselves at least once a day on our choice of hotel. The Heartbreak Hotel was wonderful and I wouldn't hesitate to stay there again. If we ever have another Memphis jolly, I think this really should be home base, perhaps a few of us going in on one of the themed suites. The shuttles were convenient. The bear did get a slightly better den than I did, his having an Elvis recliner.
Yomp was great company and I'm glad he chose the same hotel. Another thing that was heard at least once a day though was him telling me I have a "potty mouth". What? Just because I take any opportunity to say something inappropriate? At least Sunday night when I was being chastitized yet again, The Fish understood and defended my comment about the top shelf bourbon that bore the legend Knob "Well somebody had to say it!" Why would a BCBer fail to make a joke when an opportunity was available. Like when playing Scrabble and the bear pleaded "Can I appeal?" and without any sort of self control I shot back "Maybe after a few drinks." Not nice, I'm not a nice person.
Starting off the trip with the Bill Murray incident was incredible. Yes, Jamie was initially misidentifying him as Chevy Chase. I corrected. And gawked. I guess it was the heat of my stare that got Mr. Murray to turn around and look back, look away, and look back at me again. Yes! I got a double take out of him! I rock!
Scrabble. Legendary Scrabble games conducted poolside mornings at the Heartbreak Hotel with Yomp and Velvis. I won the first game, the only game that counted. The game with the higher scores for everybody. The intense game.
The ease with which we managed to catch up with each other, especially at the beginning of this venture. Enough familiarity with each other through photos made it such that when one of us came striding up, someone recognized the individual. I don't think anyone felt particularly lost for long.

I'm running out of time on this library computer. I do want to impart what was my prevalent feeling about my Memphis experience. The things that I wasn't expecting to be excited about were great. The things that I thought would be fascinating weren't. Then there were some things that I had lovely expectations about that were surpassed by miles. It was an enchanting experience for me.

Sambient

Postby Sambient » 02 Jun 2005, 13:27

While I never got around to having any ribs, I did have an alligator appetizer.

The Prof
Trading coffee in Abyssinia

Postby The Prof » 02 Jun 2005, 14:22

The Fish wrote:I was up in time to meet the Shaggers at the Civil Rights Museum

There's something a bit weird about the above statement :?

Pete the Pick
Pete Is Away

Postby Pete the Pick » 02 Jun 2005, 18:29

Of course, T. Berry has tried this himself so obviously knows the signs....
"Buy Bovril, And Take A Bite Out Of Communism!"

T. Berry Shuffle
sharp-eyed archivist

Postby T. Berry Shuffle » 02 Jun 2005, 19:34

Pete the Pick wrote:

Of course, T. Berry has tried this himself so obviously knows the signs....

It's the only sure fire way to entertain the BCB crowd at a jolly-up.
You read that in a book, didn't you?!

The Fish
Beer Battered

Postby The Fish » 03 Jun 2005, 23:02

I swear to God, you couldn't make this up !!!

Back a couple of days and not back to work till next week, I wandered down the pub this lunchtime. Some pretty bluesy stuff playing, which definitely seem to hit the vibe I was still feeling. Obviously a compilation. I asked the guy at the bar what was playing and lo and behold it was......

Sure enough a couple of tracks later and on comes Rocket 88.
We're way past rhubarb

The Modernist

Postby The Modernist » 03 Jun 2005, 23:09

The Fish wrote:I swear to God, you couldn't make this up !!!

Back a couple of days and not back to work till next week, I wandered down the pub this lunchtime. Some pretty bluesy stuff playing, which definitely seem to hit the vibe I was still feeling. Obviously a compilation. I asked the guy at the bar what was playing and lo and behold it was......

Sure enough a couple of tracks later and on comes Rocket 88.

That's really weird because a friend of mine was in a Memphis bar the other day and they were playing The Barracudas from The Sound Of Hove. Unfortunately it got taken off for the more hardcore Sound Of Worthing compilation which goes down much better in the deep south.

Return to “Classic Threads & Treasury of Mirth”