Memphis Jolly-Up, May 26-30, 2005.

Backslapping time. Well done us. We are fantastic.
Velvis
Mellowed down easy

Postby Velvis » 08 Dec 2004, 21:40

I rode Amtrak from Pittsburgh to Philly and back last June, to meet some BCBers. I rode coach class.

It cost me $90 and was quite tolerable. You have a lot more leg room than on a plane, and you can wander down to the food car for beer or a snack any time you want.

Based on my experience, my wife and kids took a longer trip in August: From Youngstown to Salt Lake City. They liked train travel quite a bit, although they were delayed quite a bit.

Don't do it if you're on a tight schedule, but only if you can be a little laid-back about how long it takes and accept the setbacks.
a gibbon running freely

BARON CORNY DOG
Diamond Geezer

Postby BARON CORNY DOG » 08 Dec 2004, 22:06

Velvis wrote:Based on my experience, my wife and kids took a longer trip in August: From Youngstown to Salt Lake City. They liked train travel quite a bit, although they were delayed quite a bit.

In coach?
take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

Velvis
Mellowed down easy

Postby Velvis » 08 Dec 2004, 23:32

Baron Legthigh wrote:
Velvis wrote:Based on my experience, my wife and kids took a longer trip in August: From Youngstown to Salt Lake City. They liked train travel quite a bit, although they were delayed quite a bit.

In coach?

Yes, although the California Zephyr, which they boarded in Chicago, was a more comfortable train.
a gibbon running freely

Sambient

Postby Sambient » 08 Dec 2004, 23:47

Baron Legthigh wrote:The New Orleans airport is outside of the city proper and the cab fare is something to consider. I would guess it's between 20 and 50 bucks. Don't really know though. Probably somewhere in the middle.

Aren't airports outside of the city proper just about anywhere? I figure the taxi ride as a necessary evil.

BARON CORNY DOG
Diamond Geezer

Postby BARON CORNY DOG » 09 Dec 2004, 00:29

Naughty/Nice Sambient wrote:
Baron Legthigh wrote:The New Orleans airport is outside of the city proper and the cab fare is something to consider. I would guess it's between 20 and 50 bucks. Don't really know though. Probably somewhere in the middle.

Aren't airports outside of the city proper just about anywhere? I figure the taxi ride as a necessary evil.

Yeah, basically. I posted that more for Yomp's planning than anything else. Don't know whether he's been Stateside or not.
take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

Quaco
F R double E

Postby Quaco » 09 Dec 2004, 01:59

Hotsie wrote:Keep in mind too Yompy that you'll not be used to driving on our side of the road and 6 hours is a mighty long time in a rental car. Another option is taking a short little flight in and out and if you can get enough people who want to do it, chartering a small plane is an option too.... how rock and roll is that?!?

Pretty darned rock and roll...

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Poppypoobah
Resident Hotty

Postby Poppypoobah » 09 Dec 2004, 02:29

Quaco wrote:
Hotsie wrote:Keep in mind too Yompy that you'll not be used to driving on our side of the road and 6 hours is a mighty long time in a rental car. Another option is taking a short little flight in and out and if you can get enough people who want to do it, chartering a small plane is an option too.... how rock and roll is that?!?

Ummm errrr?

Shagger Dave
connecticut hermit

Postby Shagger Dave » 09 Dec 2004, 03:41

I'll put in for the time off tomorrow, I think it's up for grabs.
He tries.

Postby Guest » 11 Dec 2004, 15:39

I'll have to see if I can get the time. Otherwise, I could come down on Thursday and come back on Friday or Saturday.

Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.

Postby Diamond Dog » 12 Dec 2004, 15:58

Quaco wrote:

Sick fucker.

:mrgreen:
Nicotine, valium, vicadin, marijuana, ecstasy, and alcohol -
Cocaine

Velvis
Mellowed down easy

Postby Velvis » 12 Dec 2004, 19:32

Diamonddog wrote:
Quaco wrote:

Sick fucker.

:mrgreen:

You coming to Memphis, Pete?
a gibbon running freely

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 12 Dec 2004, 19:40

Velvis wrote:You coming to Memphis, Pete?

Oh wouldn't I love to? But I think trips to America are off for the next couple of years, looking at the parlous state of my finances before my divorce next year. I'd love to meet up with you guys though.

By the way, has anyone told Yompy he'd be liable to quarantine for six months?
Cocaine

Poppypoobah
Resident Hotty

Postby Poppypoobah » 12 Dec 2004, 21:03

Diamonddog wrote:
Velvis wrote:You coming to Memphis, Pete?

Oh wouldn't I love to? But I think trips to America are off for the next couple of years, looking at the parlous state of my finances before my divorce next year. I'd love to meet up with you guys though.

By the way, has anyone told Yompy he'd be liable to quarantine for six months?
That's only going from here to there, he can come mingle with us Americans and go back and have free room and board for six months!

Livet
'progressively malty'

Postby Livet » 14 Dec 2004, 00:58

I'm a definite for Memphis. I just have to figure out if I want to take a few extra days after the weekend and go back to New Orleans. It's been over 20 years, and I've always wanted to return, so it's looking like a go.

I think I'll look into the whole transportation thing after New Year's. Trains, planes and automobiles...
The crazy music drives you insane

Sambient

Postby Sambient » 14 Dec 2004, 04:16

You know, I just want to vent for a moment. How come when I mentioned New Orleans awhile ago it was shot down more than supported. Yet, it seems there's a good few folk who want to include Nawlins in this journey.
I know it's a well known fact to those near and dear to me that I spend too much energy on these boards when I told my Mom yesterday I'm going to a Memphis Jolly Up and don't have to explain what a Jolly Up is, she already knows. What does Mom say but, "Memphis? Why not New Orleans?"
I'm just saying, know what I mean?

Sambient

Postby Sambient » 14 Dec 2004, 04:20

But don't translate my cranky rant as a cancellation.

See you in Memphis.

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 14 Dec 2004, 08:05

Naughty/Nice Sambient wrote:But don't translate my cranky rant as a cancellation.

See you in Memphis.

If only.
Cocaine

BARON CORNY DOG
Diamond Geezer

Postby BARON CORNY DOG » 14 Dec 2004, 18:39

I was booking travel to the border over New Years and started thinking about Memphis logistics.

One option to think about is flying Southwest into Little Rock or Nashville and renting a car and driving in the rest of the way. Little Rock to Memphis is something like 130 miles and could be done in two easy hours. Nashville is a little further (212 miles) and would take a little more than three hours. Southwest also flies into Louisville, but that's a significantly greater distance (384 miles). While we're at it, Dallas is 453 miles. By way of example, there are currently one way flights from LAX to Little Rock in the $139-$159-$179 range. From Philly, I see one way flights from Philadelphia to Little Rock for $99 and from Little Rock to Philadelphia for $159. Both examples were for the May 27-30 schedule. Could be cheaper for the 26th.

Actually, this probably makes more sense for southerners and midwesterners. I can fly to Little Rock from Houston for $60 one way and I would guess the same is true for Chicago

link to a map showing cities served by Southwest.

Another thing to keep in mind is that Memphis is a hub for Northwest Airlines. Checking out Philly (again) there are round trips for about $265. Right now, it's less economical from LAX. About $450 on Northwest. Both of those are based on the May 27-30 itinerary.

T. Berry Shuffle
sharp-eyed archivist

Postby T. Berry Shuffle » 14 Dec 2004, 19:35

I don't recommend that anyone do the drive from Nashville to Memphis unless they're looking for an excuse to commit suicide. I've done that drive so many times. It makes you crazy.

I'm planning on attending, early warning in case anybody wants to change their mind.

Memphis will be a blast. We just need to find a place we can take hostage for a jolly.
You read that in a book, didn't you?!

Postby Guest » 16 Dec 2004, 01:41

T. Berry vom Krampus wrote:
I'm planning on attending, early warning in case anybody wants to change their mind.

*Cancels reservation*

Return to “Classic Threads & Treasury of Mirth”