Memphis Jolly-Up, May 26-30, 2005.

Backslapping time. Well done us. We are fantastic.
User avatar
Velvis
Mellowed down easy
Posts: 15790
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 23:21
Location: on Grand Street, where the neon madmen climb

Memphis Jolly-Up, May 26-30, 2005.

Postby Velvis » 07 Dec 2004, 15:12

It's time to settle on the weekend. We need to make plans. My goal is to arrive on a Thursday and depart on a Sunday. But I need to inform the courts of my vacations four to six months in advance ideally, so that I'm not scheduled for hearings.
Last edited by Velvis on 08 Dec 2004, 21:34, edited 1 time in total.
a gibbon running freely

User avatar
Poppypoobah
Resident Hotty
Posts: 17501
Joined: 18 Jul 2003, 23:03
Location: Paradise
Contact:

Re: Memphis Jolly-Up, Spring 2005.

Postby Poppypoobah » 07 Dec 2004, 15:32

Velvis wrote:It's time to settle on the weekend. We need to make plans. My goal is to arrive on a Thursday and depart on a Sunday. But I need to inform the courts of my vacations four to six months in advance ideally, so that I'm not scheduled for hearings.
When is spring break for the kids? Who of us who would be attending have kids?

User avatar
Poppypoobah
Resident Hotty
Posts: 17501
Joined: 18 Jul 2003, 23:03
Location: Paradise
Contact:

Postby Poppypoobah » 07 Dec 2004, 15:35

I'm thinking that I'd drive with anyone wanting to go from this area, I have a 7 passenger van and it's al hookupable for dvd players and Playstation.

User avatar
yomptepi
BCB thumbscrew of Justice
Posts: 34431
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 17:57
Location: well

Postby yomptepi » 07 Dec 2004, 18:11

I have made all the preliminary enquiries, and have sorted out my schedule for the trip, which includes taking the train down the delta to New Orleans for a couple of days. All I need is the date, mate
You don't like me...do you?

User avatar
Still Baron
Diamond Geezer
Posts: 42086
Joined: 18 Jul 2003, 05:38
Location: Impregnable Citadel of Technicality

Postby Still Baron » 07 Dec 2004, 18:21

Thanks for grabbing the bull by the horns* there Velvis. I've been a little distracted.

The last time this was brought up (sorry, I recognize this has been a little haphazard), Sambient suggested Memorial Day weekend. I had a date for that, but it was on the other thread. This gives people a little more time, and it also cures the problem of different people on different spring break schedules. I'll try and dredge up the date. I don't know if I will have accumulated any holiday days yet, but I'll probably just take a sick day or two.


*Obviously, he who grabs the bull by the horns gets the shit!
take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

User avatar
Still Baron
Diamond Geezer
Posts: 42086
Joined: 18 Jul 2003, 05:38
Location: Impregnable Citadel of Technicality

Postby Still Baron » 07 Dec 2004, 18:22

a bear wrote:I have made all the preliminary enquiries, and have sorted out my schedule for the trip, which includes taking the train down the delta to New Orleans for a couple of days. All I need is the date, mate


Outstanding!
take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

User avatar
Still Baron
Diamond Geezer
Posts: 42086
Joined: 18 Jul 2003, 05:38
Location: Impregnable Citadel of Technicality

Postby Still Baron » 07 Dec 2004, 18:30

I hate to complicate matters, but this has always been lurking at the back of my mind and now there are firm details.

In the interest of full disclosure, there's also the Ponderosa Stomp in New Orleans April 26 & 27. Perhaps I'll just have to meet T "Peanuts" Berry there.
take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

User avatar
Velvis
Mellowed down easy
Posts: 15790
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 23:21
Location: on Grand Street, where the neon madmen climb

Postby Velvis » 08 Dec 2004, 14:24

Okay.

Everyone having had an opportunity to respond, I'm calling it. Memorial Day weekend.

Thursday, May 26 through Monday, May 30. (Monday is the legal holiday). Let's start planning. Hotels, clubs and touring, anyone?

Suggestion: We should find a situation like the King's Arms where we have a room in a bar where we can mingle about freely and enjoy each other's fellowship and conversation. I'd prefer to enjoy the company of you people rather than going to gigs. And during the day we should do the sightseeing.
a gibbon running freely

User avatar
Sambient
Posts: 16602
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 14:56
Location: Nerdvana

Postby Sambient » 08 Dec 2004, 14:34

Memorial day weekend should be good for me as it stands.
Personally, outside of the meeting up to hang in the evening(s), I'm the type who is more in favor of activities not being overly planned when I go somewhere. This gives more opportunity to discover, to explore, and to wake up some days and say "Fuck it, a swim and room service brunch are my heart's desire this morning."

User avatar
Still Baron
Diamond Geezer
Posts: 42086
Joined: 18 Jul 2003, 05:38
Location: Impregnable Citadel of Technicality

Postby Still Baron » 08 Dec 2004, 14:55

Yeah, I think during the day people who want to go to Sun, Stax, Graceland, Mississippi, etc. can do so and those who want to hang by the pool (probably better to swim there than the river) can do that. In the evening we'll have meet ups. I'm not too excited by the idea of going to shows either. I just like to hang out!
take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

User avatar
Sambient
Posts: 16602
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 14:56
Location: Nerdvana

Postby Sambient » 08 Dec 2004, 15:10

Baron Legthigh wrote:(probably better to swim there than the river)


Especially if you're wearing boots and singing Led Zepplin tunes.
Hey, I think we're going to be there on the seventh anniversary of Jeff Buckley's death.

Guest

Postby Guest » 08 Dec 2004, 16:13

Excuse my French, but what the fuck is Memorial Day weekend, and why ya'all expect everyone else to know when that is?

Really? That's great. Come over on my great grandmother's birthday.

AT BLOODY SIX SHARP :x

User avatar
Poppypoobah
Resident Hotty
Posts: 17501
Joined: 18 Jul 2003, 23:03
Location: Paradise
Contact:

Postby Poppypoobah » 08 Dec 2004, 16:21

cheepnizthefuckingsnowman wrote:Excuse my French, but what the fuck is Memorial Day weekend, and why ya'all expect everyone else to know when that is?

Really? That's great. Come over on my great grandmother's birthday.

AT BLOODY SIX SHARP :x
It's the last Monday in May. You want to come over for it?

How's great gram doing by the way?

User avatar
Poppypoobah
Resident Hotty
Posts: 17501
Joined: 18 Jul 2003, 23:03
Location: Paradise
Contact:

Postby Poppypoobah » 08 Dec 2004, 16:23

Velvis wrote:Okay.

Everyone having had an opportunity to respond, I'm calling it. Memorial Day weekend.

Thursday, May 26 through Monday, May 30. (Monday is the legal holiday).
Let's start planning. Hotels, clubs and touring, anyone?

Suggestion: We should find a situation like the King's Arms where we have a room in a bar where we can mingle about freely and enjoy each other's fellowship and conversation. I'd prefer to enjoy the company of you people rather than going to gigs. And during the day we should do the sightseeing.


I thought this made it pretty clear Cheepniz or do you need it super sized? :wink:

User avatar
yomptepi
BCB thumbscrew of Justice
Posts: 34431
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 17:57
Location: well

Postby yomptepi » 08 Dec 2004, 18:30

OK. I'll get that booked. I'm coming over on the Friday/sat morning.., and will stay in Memphis until Monday, when I will get the train to New orleans, and from there, the airplane to NYC. its going to be the holiday of a lifetime for this bear!!
You don't like me...do you?

User avatar
Still Baron
Diamond Geezer
Posts: 42086
Joined: 18 Jul 2003, 05:38
Location: Impregnable Citadel of Technicality

Postby Still Baron » 08 Dec 2004, 19:09

It's about 400 miles from Memphis to New Orleans by interstate. That equals about six hours by car. The Highway 61 option would probably take a little longer.

Amtrak supposedly takes about eight hours but they have a poor record for being on time. Still, at about $40, it's a bargain.
take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

User avatar
Poppypoobah
Resident Hotty
Posts: 17501
Joined: 18 Jul 2003, 23:03
Location: Paradise
Contact:

Postby Poppypoobah » 08 Dec 2004, 20:30

Keep in mind too Yompy that you'll not be used to driving on our side of the road and 6 hours is a mighty long time in a rental car. Another option is taking a short little flight in and out and if you can get enough people who want to do it, chartering a small plane is an option too.... how rock and roll is that?!?

User avatar
Still Baron
Diamond Geezer
Posts: 42086
Joined: 18 Jul 2003, 05:38
Location: Impregnable Citadel of Technicality

Postby Still Baron » 08 Dec 2004, 20:48

Hotsie wrote:Keep in mind too Yompy that you'll not be used to driving on our side of the road and 6 hours is a mighty long time in a rental car. Another option is taking a short little flight in and out and if you can get enough people who want to do it, chartering a small plane is an option too.... how rock and roll is that?!?


I thought the train ride was particularly cheap and may be the best bet.

A few New Orleans factors to consider:

1. It's an easy drive, the vast majority of which is on separated highway, so driving on the right side of the road shouldn't present huge problems. Or maybe it would. Never tried it!

2. Driving in New Orleans sucks and is to be avoided unless you know what you're doing. You don't know what you're doing unless you live there or have been there multiple times.

3. The New Orleans airport is outside of the city proper and the cab fare is something to consider. I would guess it's between 20 and 50 bucks. Don't really know though. Probably somewhere in the middle.

4. If you are staying in New Orleans, unless you have a car, stay downtown (in or around the quarter) or close to downtown on a major street (St. Charles). If you don't have a car and your hotel has an Interstate 10 address, you will be significantly inconvenienced.
take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

User avatar
Poppypoobah
Resident Hotty
Posts: 17501
Joined: 18 Jul 2003, 23:03
Location: Paradise
Contact:

Postby Poppypoobah » 08 Dec 2004, 21:00

Baron Legthigh wrote:I thought the train ride was particularly cheap and may be the best bet.

My first train ride was this year, to New York and back on Amtrak and I think that's definately the way I'll go next time.

I've never been to New Orleans but won't be going anytime soon unless I win the lottery.

User avatar
Still Baron
Diamond Geezer
Posts: 42086
Joined: 18 Jul 2003, 05:38
Location: Impregnable Citadel of Technicality

Postby Still Baron » 08 Dec 2004, 21:12

Hotsie wrote:
Baron Legthigh wrote:I thought the train ride was particularly cheap and may be the best bet.

My first train ride was this year, to New York and back on Amtrak and I think that's definately the way I'll go next time.

I've never been to New Orleans but won't be going anytime soon unless I win the lottery.


I've actually ridden Amtrak from Philly to New Orleans and unless you have a sleeper car, I don't recommend it at all. You stop in every piss-ant town at all hours of the night and it takes forever and the seats weren't particularly comfortable. I wish the government would just plunk down and get us a proper train system with affordable sleepers. Of course, maybe things were different in first class (which was all I rode in Europe since -- at my advanced age -- my railpass required it), but I wasn't in first class from Philly to NOLA. Luckily, that was in the early-mid nineties and a late blizzard crippled the south and east coast so I had to fly back.

Now I realize that wasn't what you were talking about. No matter, it should be perfectly fine for a day trip.
take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.