******What Film/DVD did you watch last night******

Backslapping time. Well done us. We are fantastic.
lemon
Posts: 5794
Joined: 16 Nov 2003, 21:10

Postby lemon » 31 Jan 2005, 23:49

The Smamfy wrote:I'm mad for Audrey anyway, she can't do any wrong for me.


What if she slagged off Spaced?

Not sure I'd put up with that...

User avatar
LeBaron
Diamond Geezer
Posts: 42780
Joined: 18 Jul 2003, 05:38
Location: Impregnable Citadel of Technicality

Postby LeBaron » 01 Feb 2005, 00:37

A Man Escaped

Top notch, of course.
Quaco wrote:Are you fucking high?

take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

User avatar
automatic_drip
Posts: 5685
Joined: 17 Jul 2003, 07:51

Postby automatic_drip » 01 Feb 2005, 02:36

Saw Sideways with Paul Giamatti yesterday. The funniest movie I've seen in a very long time, but with pathos to burn.

I thought it was terrific, but I wonder if anyone under 30 would really appreciate it as much.

10 times better than The Aviator.
Only time will tell if we stand the test of time.... - Sammy Hagar

User avatar
James R
the grocer of despair
Posts: 9914
Joined: 17 Jul 2003, 03:53
Location: seated sultanically among the moons of Saturn
Contact:

Postby James R » 01 Feb 2005, 07:43

ashers wrote:Image

Agree with most previous posters, though I thought at times Clive Owen was magnificent, just not all the time. As a film it would have made a good stage play, appropriately enough...Jude Law seemed to still be in "Alfie" mode for half of it. It occurred to me later that Natalie Portman's character could easily be Matilda from Leon ten years later.


Saw this one this afternoon. Dear God but I can't remember the last film I saw that dragged so much as this. Christ, I watched Eureka the other day which is three hours and thirty-seven minutes long, and it still didn't feel as interminable as this. Clive Owen really is about the only reason to see it.
pcqgod wrote:I like how Liebling progresses from a rotting, animated corpse living in his parents' basement to a slightly more life-affirming walking corpse by the end of the movie.

Goat Boy wrote:I recall a midget with large tits dancing.

User avatar
The Slider
Self-Aggrandising Cock
Posts: 46150
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 19:05
Location: I'm only here for the sneer
Contact:

Postby The Slider » 01 Feb 2005, 07:48

I found him the least believeable of all of them.
But that may have been more about the character than the actor.

A truly contemptable film.
The Rolling Stones Complete Mp3 set now available in the usual place, should you want one.
Image

User avatar
Brother Spoon
Billy Crystal
Posts: 9762
Joined: 17 Jul 2003, 08:02
Location: at Yankee Stadium

Postby Brother Spoon » 01 Feb 2005, 07:52

Not
Image
:cry:

I was going to see this, but when I wanted to start riding my bike the handlebars broke off. :evil: There was no way I could make it to the movietheatre in time on foot.

So, no 'Frankenstein'.

User avatar
The Write Profile
2017 BCB Cup Champ
Posts: 14681
Joined: 15 Sep 2003, 10:55
Location: Today, Tomorrow, Timaru
Contact:

Postby The Write Profile » 01 Feb 2005, 09:08

Pieter wrote:Not
Image
:cry:

I was going to see this, but when I wanted to start riding my bike the handlebars broke off. :evil: There was no way I could make it to the movietheatre in time on foot.

So, no 'Frankenstein'.


Have you seen it before? A wonderful film, but of course, Bride of Frankenstein is one of the greatest comedies ever made. This, however, is good for different reasons, most of them being how Karloff creates a remarkably sentimental and indeed bathetic monster. And the "child drowning" sequence is one of the more problematic in films, if only because it's clear that the Monster meant no malice, and yet, if cut out of the film (as it was for years), the picture has an entirely different take on the Monster.

I hope someone buys you a new bike as condolenses for missing it on the Big Screen
It's before my time but I've been told, he never came back from Karangahape Road.

User avatar
Brother Spoon
Billy Crystal
Posts: 9762
Joined: 17 Jul 2003, 08:02
Location: at Yankee Stadium

Postby Brother Spoon » 01 Feb 2005, 09:51

The Right Summery Profile wrote:
I hope someone buys you a new bike as condolenses for missing it on the Big Screen


They better be quick, because I'm going to buy one today (not a new one though).
I have seen it before, but it was a long time ago, and it was on a crap videotape. I can't remember that much about it, but I really wanted to see it again. That bike couldn't just break down when I had to go to work or something, could it? :evil:

User avatar
The Black Shadow
King Pest
Posts: 2940
Joined: 01 Mar 2004, 16:06
Location: Terminus

Postby The Black Shadow » 01 Feb 2005, 09:56

Image
"What part of andele! don't you understand, you yankee piece of scum?"

User avatar
The Black Shadow
King Pest
Posts: 2940
Joined: 01 Mar 2004, 16:06
Location: Terminus

Postby The Black Shadow » 01 Feb 2005, 09:58

Pieter wrote:
The Right Summery Profile wrote:
I hope someone buys you a new bike as condolenses for missing it on the Big Screen


They better be quick, because I'm going to buy one today (not a new one though).
I have seen it before, but it was a long time ago, and it was on a crap videotape. I can't remember that much about it, but I really wanted to see it again. That bike couldn't just break down when I had to go to work or something, could it? :evil:


Instead of a new crappy bike, just buy a DVD player. It's a good investment that will thwart your prejudices towards new technology forever.
"What part of andele! don't you understand, you yankee piece of scum?"

User avatar
Brother Spoon
Billy Crystal
Posts: 9762
Joined: 17 Jul 2003, 08:02
Location: at Yankee Stadium

Postby Brother Spoon » 01 Feb 2005, 10:03

The Black Shadow wrote:
Instead of a new crappy bike, just buy a DVD player. It's a good investment that will thwart your prejudices towards new technology forever.


But will it drive me to work?

Besides, don't you know DVD-players transmit secret messages from high up in some sort of big conspiracy brainwashing you into buying lots of pasta and that pasta contains a secret ingredient which makes it easier for the aliens to beam you up and probe you?

User avatar
Mozz
Irritatingly Youthful
Posts: 2970
Joined: 24 Jul 2003, 14:38
Location: Amusement Parks, U.S.A.

Postby Mozz » 01 Feb 2005, 10:03

Image

The sort of film you can watch 50 times and still not completely 'get'.

User avatar
My name is Spaulding
Pancake Expert
Posts: 24074
Joined: 18 Jul 2003, 19:04
Location: Somewhere else

Postby My name is Spaulding » 01 Feb 2005, 10:23

Image

Penelope Cruz is brilliant on this one, and her italian seems quite convincing. As for the movie.... you can tell that it´s good, in the same vein as Monster´s Ball. Neither of those movies were my cup of tea.
Walk In My Shadow wrote:If Spaulding buys it, I'll buy it too.

User avatar
The Black Shadow
King Pest
Posts: 2940
Joined: 01 Mar 2004, 16:06
Location: Terminus

Postby The Black Shadow » 01 Feb 2005, 10:36

Pieter wrote:
The Black Shadow wrote:
Instead of a new crappy bike, just buy a DVD player. It's a good investment that will thwart your prejudices towards new technology forever.


But will it drive me to work?

Besides, don't you know DVD-players transmit secret messages from high up in some sort of big conspiracy brainwashing you into buying lots of pasta and that pasta contains a secret ingredient which makes it easier for the aliens to beam you up and probe you?


Be that as it may, *grimaceingly removes probe from ass*, it's still better pasta than the kind one receives in envelopes...
"What part of andele! don't you understand, you yankee piece of scum?"

Cup of Char

Postby Cup of Char » 01 Feb 2005, 10:50

The Black Shadow wrote:
Pieter wrote:
The Black Shadow wrote:
Instead of a new crappy bike, just buy a DVD player. It's a good investment that will thwart your prejudices towards new technology forever.


But will it drive me to work?

Besides, don't you know DVD-players transmit secret messages from high up in some sort of big conspiracy brainwashing you into buying lots of pasta and that pasta contains a secret ingredient which makes it easier for the aliens to beam you up and probe you?


Be that as it may, *grimaceingly removes probe from ass*, it's still better pasta than the kind one receives in envelopes...
Maybe, but which sauce ?

The Great DeFector

Postby The Great DeFector » 01 Feb 2005, 10:59

Image

Um don't know what to make of this film really. could be seen as one of them self important, we have the resources so we're gonna do it, type films. Loads of panning, and face acting and not much else. still it's gus van sant and i like his shows.

User avatar
The Black Shadow
King Pest
Posts: 2940
Joined: 01 Mar 2004, 16:06
Location: Terminus

Postby The Black Shadow » 01 Feb 2005, 11:57

Cup of char wrote:
The Black Shadow wrote:
Pieter wrote:
The Black Shadow wrote:
Instead of a new crappy bike, just buy a DVD player. It's a good investment that will thwart your prejudices towards new technology forever.


But will it drive me to work?

Besides, don't you know DVD-players transmit secret messages from high up in some sort of big conspiracy brainwashing you into buying lots of pasta and that pasta contains a secret ingredient which makes it easier for the aliens to beam you up and probe you?


Be that as it may, *grimaceingly removes probe from ass*, it's still better pasta than the kind one receives in envelopes...
Maybe, but which sauce ?


We're Belgian. We put mayonaise on everything.
"What part of andele! don't you understand, you yankee piece of scum?"

Cup of Char

Postby Cup of Char » 01 Feb 2005, 12:11

The Black Shadow wrote:We're Belgian. We put mayonaise on everything.
On pasta ! Image

User avatar
The Black Shadow
King Pest
Posts: 2940
Joined: 01 Mar 2004, 16:06
Location: Terminus

Postby The Black Shadow » 01 Feb 2005, 12:35

Cup of char wrote:
The Black Shadow wrote:We're Belgian. We put mayonaise on everything.
On pasta ! Image


On everything. Even on cups filled with char.
"What part of andele! don't you understand, you yankee piece of scum?"

Guest

Postby Guest » 01 Feb 2005, 15:09

Image

I finished up the third disc last night and was crying from laughing so hard. The second season should be coming in the mail any day now. :D