Led Zeppelin question (and comment)

Backslapping time. Well done us. We are fantastic.
Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.

Postby Diamond Dog » 16 Dec 2004, 15:55

Blixen's Golden Pickaxe wrote:'Presence' for me is one of their finest. It's gritty and aggressive and the bucolic folksy elements of previous records are nowhere to be seen.

It sounds very trebly and metallic and the performances of songs from this album on the Knebworth section of the DVD are superb.

It was on this album Jonesy started to use the Alembic 8 string bass, which he always set up very metallic. It works on "Achilles", I don't care for it a great deal on other tracks. It also became a staple of the '77 US tour - and (again) I think it was counterproductive alot of the time.
Nicotine, valium, vicadin, marijuana, ecstasy, and alcohol -
Cocaine

the hanging monkey
can't be arsed

Postby the hanging monkey » 16 Dec 2004, 17:05

Diamonddog wrote:
Blixen's Golden Pickaxe wrote:'Presence' for me is one of their finest. It's gritty and aggressive and the bucolic folksy elements of previous records are nowhere to be seen.

It sounds very trebly and metallic and the performances of songs from this album on the Knebworth section of the DVD are superb.

It was on this album Jonesy started to use the Alembic 8 string bass, which he always set up very metallic. It works on "Achilles", I don't care for it a great deal on other tracks. It also became a staple of the '77 US tour - and (again) I think it was counterproductive alot of the time.

I agree with this, the bass sounds great on Achilles, less so on some other tracks.
The Dríver wrote:We even have village idiots.

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 16 Dec 2004, 20:45

Some fucking bass player, mind.
Cocaine

the hanging monkey
can't be arsed

Postby the hanging monkey » 17 Dec 2004, 08:45

Diamonddog wrote:Some fucking bass player, mind.

Certainly. Great drummer too. One of the great rhythm sections. In fact I'd go so far as to say it's Bonham and Jones that make the band interesting. My opinions on Page are well documented and I'm not that big a fan of Plant's caterwauling either although he does have his moments along with Page.

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 02 Jan 2005, 15:46

Fucking Humbug wrote:
Diamonddog wrote:Some fucking bass player, mind.

Certainly. Great drummer too. One of the great rhythm sections. In fact I'd go so far as to say it's Bonham and Jones that make the band interesting. My opinions on Page are well documented and I'm not that big a fan of Plant's caterwauling either although he does have his moments along with Page.

They were a great rhythm section, especially live. It's what they didn't play that made the great.
Cocaine

&

Postby & » 09 Apr 2005, 04:46

zep is one of the bands i'm more fond of, and a good deal of that appeal is because they sound very good.
jimmy page's guitar tones are almost always compelling, original, and exceedingly well recorded, for example.

that said, II sounds hurried and incomplete to me, with more moments of blatant tasteless idiocy than their (quite high to begin with) average.
every so often in their catalogue, there comes along a song which could have been oh so cool if not for either a) really dumb lyrics b) overemoted singing c) being stretched to over eight minutes or d) some other crime against taste and common sense which makes you wish they had somebody telling them what to do sometimes.

two has 'ramble on', which is the greatest pity of modern music... lovely melody, sweet guitar solo, incredible bassline... all completely laid to waste with the 'gollum and the evil one' crud that plant chose to sprinkle over it.
'thank you' is a soppy waste for me. it could have been a pleasant enough song (i prefer the version on the bbc sessions), but the studio version sounds too kitschy for me to handle.
'bring it on home' is another gorgeous riff marred by the black man antics in the beginning.

the orgasmic part of 'whole lotta love' i quite like actually.
as to the guitar solo on 'heartbreaker', it's become such a part of the song for me that i can't really rationalize it one way or the other. it just is. again, the bbc sessions version deals with it better with the buildup back into the song.
'living loving maid' is a classic example of how much zep's sound and playing had to do with their likablity... perfectly ordinary song, but with zep crunch all over it, it sounds absolutely excellent.
i love moby dick, drum solo and all. i can sing the drum solo by rote if i have to... it's not the sort of drum solo i like very much, because it lacks any sort of central groove and feels like aimless doodling around to me, but bonham's kit sounds so good, that i can really lose myself in that. it's the live versions that get on my nerves.

apologies for the length of this all...
the conclusion?
nah, two isn't tripe, it's a pleasant record which has loads of zep guitars and grooves and basslines which will surely catch the ear. that said, i think the first album is stronger in terms of writing, and 'houses of the holy' probably the most diverse and textured record they made.

Basil

Postby Basil » 14 Feb 2006, 17:44

Since i´ve been loving you is the best zeppelin song. Babe im gonna leave you and inmigrant song, are so great.

The only thing better than hear zeppelin, is play it in stage.

Jimmy Page Rules!!

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 04 Mar 2007, 14:32

Being the saddo I am, I just read through all eleven pages of this. Quite superb in places.
Cocaine

Quaco
F R double E

Postby Quaco » 07 Mar 2007, 23:08

I found it quite interesting to note how Angshu used to write in all lower-case letters and with hard returns added randomly. He's certainly cleaned up his act!
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

harvey k-tel
Long Player

Postby harvey k-tel » 08 Mar 2007, 19:54

Quaco wrote:I found it quite interesting to note how Angshu used to write in all lower-case letters and with hard returns added randomly. He's certainly cleaned up his act!

He used to be a punk, but now he's a straight.

:(
Tempora mutatur et nos mutamur in illis

the hanging monkey
can't be arsed

Postby the hanging monkey » 08 Mar 2007, 20:15

Diamond Dog wrote:Being the saddo I am, I just read through all eleven pages of this. Quite superb in places.

Thanks.

Return to “Classic Threads & Treasury of Mirth”