Led Zeppelin question (and comment)

Backslapping time. Well done us. We are fantastic.
User avatar
the hanging monkey
can't be arsed
Posts: 16721
Joined: 15 Sep 2003, 17:05
Location: The cultural mecca that is Huddersfield

Led Zeppelin question (and comment)

Postby the hanging monkey » 24 Nov 2004, 16:47

First the comment - Lep Zep 2 really is a load of overrated tosh isn't it? Most of the songs get on my tits for one reason or another - Whole Lotta Love's orgasm bit which is probably the most embarrasing moment in rock, Heartbreaker has probably the sloppiest guitar solo ever played by a so-called great. What a clumsy twat. And Moby Dick....well :cry:

There are some great tracks though - What Is And What Should Never Be is ace (unneccesary clunky guitar at the end notwithstanding) as is Thank You (although Planty does over egg it a bit) and Livin Lovin Maid (inconsequential ditty really but catchy and with a great riff).



Anyway I've been re-buying the Zep studio albums recently and I now only need Presence, In Through The Out Door and Coda. My question concerns Coda (which I never owned on vinyl) - It's listed on AMG as a compilation and some of my mates reckon it's a comp but I heard it was a half completed album fleshed out with a couple of live tracks. Can anyone solve this conundrum? Also is it worth getting? I've heard a few tracks - Poor Tom and Wearing and Tearing which are both great.

Your thoughts please.
The Dríver wrote:We even have village idiots.

Aimo

Postby Aimo » 24 Nov 2004, 16:49

'Ramble On' is reason enough to own Zep II. Phenomenal tune.

User avatar
Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.
Posts: 66979
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 21:04
Location: High On Poachers Hill

Postby Diamond Dog » 24 Nov 2004, 16:50

It was a contractual obligation album - Page found bits of stuff they hadn't used and added some live stuff. Simple as that. It's pretty good.

Your other comments are to be treated with utter contempt.
“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.”

lemon
Posts: 5794
Joined: 16 Nov 2003, 21:10

Re: Led Zeppelin question (and comment)

Postby lemon » 24 Nov 2004, 16:57

The Northern Monkey wrote:First the comment - Lep Zep 2 really is a load of overrated tosh isn't it?


You realise you're bollocks, don't you?

Guest

Postby Guest » 24 Nov 2004, 16:58

Diamonddog wrote:Your other comments are to be treated with utter contempt.

But he is kind of spot on with most of it. :?

Kinkhurt
Posts: 2419
Joined: 09 Feb 2004, 11:03
Location: Hairball Alley

Re: Led Zeppelin question (and comment)

Postby Kinkhurt » 24 Nov 2004, 16:59


Anyway I've been re-buying the Zep studio albums recently and I now only need Presence, In Through The Out Door and Coda. My question concerns Coda (which I never owned on vinyl) - It's listed on AMG as a compilation and some of my mates reckon it's a comp but I heard it was a half completed album fleshed out with a couple of live tracks. Can anyone solve this conundrum? Also is it worth getting? I've heard a few tracks - Poor Tom and Wearing and Tearing which are both great.

Your thoughts please.


Its worth a fiver - Poor Tom and Wearing ... are the best ones. You will hate Bonzo's Montreux with a passion though. Its a bit clunky but better than ITTOD.
angering the feeble

User avatar
the hanging monkey
can't be arsed
Posts: 16721
Joined: 15 Sep 2003, 17:05
Location: The cultural mecca that is Huddersfield

Postby the hanging monkey » 24 Nov 2004, 16:59

Diamonddog wrote:It was a contractual obligation album - Page found bits of stuff they hadn't used and added some live stuff. Simple as that. It's pretty good.

Your other comments are to be treated with utter contempt.


:lol:

I'll get Coda at the weekend if I see it.
The Dríver wrote:We even have village idiots.

User avatar
Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk
Posts: 29637
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 20:18
Location: Edge of a continent

Postby Matt Wilson » 24 Nov 2004, 17:00

Every Zeppelin album is worth owning. The second one is a classic.


And that's all I've got to say about that.
Coan wrote:'Vertigo' is one of the best things U2 have ever done, one of a handful of occasions where they get it just right. That bit near the end where the song lifts off? You don't get that with The Allman Brothers.

User avatar
Maxwell's Golden Pickaxe
spud thick mick
Posts: 5844
Joined: 06 Oct 2004, 17:44
Location: Airurando
Contact:

Postby Maxwell's Golden Pickaxe » 24 Nov 2004, 17:03

If I were you I'd get someone who has the version of Coda (me, for example)that was included with the Complete Studio Albums box set, because this has the following extra tracks

Baby, Come On Home
Hey Hey What Can I Do?
White River/Black Mountainside
Travellin Riverside Blues

Travellin Riverside, and Hey Hey are two of Zep's finest tracks IMO.

User avatar
the hanging monkey
can't be arsed
Posts: 16721
Joined: 15 Sep 2003, 17:05
Location: The cultural mecca that is Huddersfield

Postby the hanging monkey » 24 Nov 2004, 17:06

Matt Wilson wrote:Every Zeppelin album is worth owning. The second one is a classic.


And that's all I've got to say about that.


Zep 2 (and 1 for that matter) is worth having but no classic in my view.
The Dríver wrote:We even have village idiots.

emerson boozer

Postby emerson boozer » 24 Nov 2004, 17:10

I'd put Zeppelin II in the bottom half of their recordings--I don't count live albums or outtakes

Probably Physical Graffitti
III
S/T
IV
HOTH
II
Presence
ITTOD

Moby Dick is a waste of a great riff, and Percy's Sonny Boy Williamson "impression" on Bring It On Home borders on offensive.

Still, at their worst they were better than 99.9% of mainstream 70's music.

User avatar
Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk
Posts: 29637
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 20:18
Location: Edge of a continent

Postby Matt Wilson » 24 Nov 2004, 17:10

The Northern Monkey wrote:
Matt Wilson wrote:Every Zeppelin album is worth owning. The second one is a classic.


And that's all I've got to say about that.


Zep 2 (and 1 for that matter) is worth having but no classic in my view.


A classic doesn't need the endorsement of everyone to be a classic.
Coan wrote:'Vertigo' is one of the best things U2 have ever done, one of a handful of occasions where they get it just right. That bit near the end where the song lifts off? You don't get that with The Allman Brothers.

User avatar
the hanging monkey
can't be arsed
Posts: 16721
Joined: 15 Sep 2003, 17:05
Location: The cultural mecca that is Huddersfield

Postby the hanging monkey » 24 Nov 2004, 17:13

Matt Wilson wrote:
The Northern Monkey wrote:
Matt Wilson wrote:Every Zeppelin album is worth owning. The second one is a classic.


And that's all I've got to say about that.


Zep 2 (and 1 for that matter) is worth having but no classic in my view.


A classic doesn't need the endorsement of everyone to be a classic.


True, just voicing my opinion. I think there is a gulf in class between the first two records and what I consider to be their best stuff (III and Physical Graffiti). Each to his own and that though.
The Dríver wrote:We even have village idiots.

User avatar
Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk
Posts: 29637
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 20:18
Location: Edge of a continent

Postby Matt Wilson » 24 Nov 2004, 17:19

The Northern Monkey wrote:
Matt Wilson wrote:
The Northern Monkey wrote:
Matt Wilson wrote:Every Zeppelin album is worth owning. The second one is a classic.


And that's all I've got to say about that.


Zep 2 (and 1 for that matter) is worth having but no classic in my view.


A classic doesn't need the endorsement of everyone to be a classic.


True, just voicing my opinion. I think there is a gulf in class between the first two records and what I consider to be their best stuff (III and Physical Graffiti). Each to his own and that though.


Actually, I'd say their first six albums are classics. As opposed to say, Black Sabbath, whose first six albums are metal classics. Perhaps a fine line, but there is a distinction.
Coan wrote:'Vertigo' is one of the best things U2 have ever done, one of a handful of occasions where they get it just right. That bit near the end where the song lifts off? You don't get that with The Allman Brothers.

User avatar
JQW
Posts: 29041
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 13:27
Location: The Crazy Loquat, Szegerely

Postby JQW » 24 Nov 2004, 17:19

Attendees to the last Leeds JU will have heard all of Led Zep II played over the pub PA. I've still not recovered from hearing Moby Dick.
The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. - Bertrand Russell

User avatar
Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.
Posts: 66979
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 21:04
Location: High On Poachers Hill

Postby Diamond Dog » 24 Nov 2004, 17:23

JQW wrote:Attendees to the last Leeds JU will have heard all of Led Zep II played over the pub PA. I've still not recovered from hearing Moby Dick.


It's life altering, isn't it Paul? :lol:
“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.”

User avatar
the hanging monkey
can't be arsed
Posts: 16721
Joined: 15 Sep 2003, 17:05
Location: The cultural mecca that is Huddersfield

Postby the hanging monkey » 24 Nov 2004, 17:35

Diamonddog wrote:
JQW wrote:Attendees to the last Leeds JU will have heard all of Led Zep II played over the pub PA. I've still not recovered from hearing Moby Dick.


It's life altering, isn't it Paul? :lol:


I went for a shit when Moby Dick came on. The fucker was still playing when I came back out. Must have been the live version.
The Dríver wrote:We even have village idiots.

User avatar
LMG
Gentleman Thug
Posts: 8939
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 15:47
Location: From Hank To Hendrix

Postby LMG » 25 Nov 2004, 01:50

The Inland Revenue claims that Coda is 'the tax album'. Their tax situation was so bad they needed an album to clear their debts, and not a contractual obligation album, since both Page and Plant were signed to Warners in their solo careers.

Prepared and overdubbed by Page with help from Plant and JP Jones in 1981-82, the album was just over half an hour long, but the gatefold LP sleeve had lots of nice photos.

It sold poorly, and was deleted in the USA, more a reflection on the decline in Zep's fortunes than the quality of the music.

Some reviewers considered that it contains some of Zep's more vital music. 'jumbo riffs throughout' said Robert Christgau, awarding it a solid B+.

By track:

We're Gonna Groove - Recorded in March 1969 at Morgan studios, this Ben E King number was finished by Page in 1982 and was intended for LZ II.

Poor Tom - a finished outtake recorded in 1970 for LZ II. Essential confident acoustic Zep swagger.

I Can't Quit You Baby - Electrifying soundcheck from the Royal Albert Hall in January 1970.

Walter's Walk - Houses of the Holy outtake recorded in 1972 via the Stones' mobile studio. A bit shite, really - based on a riff Page developed in the long 'Dazed And Confused' live performances. Sub par Zep, but a nice spound to it.

Ozone Baby - Terrific outtake from the last LZ album, recorded 1978. Great number in the tradition of D'yer 'Mak'er

Darlene - as above, a great outtake from In Through The Out Door recorded in 1978, and that would have revved up that album

Bonzo's Montreux - Capsizes the album with a drum instrumental which increased teh size of the trust fund for Bonzo's kids. Sorry, but it's shite.

Wearing and Tearing - A third 1978 outtake. One of their best barnstorming numbers. Intended as a free single to be given away at Knebworth, it wasn't pressed up in time.

I have an unremastered copy you can have at the next JU if it suits your requirements, Mr Monkey.

Just let me know.
We owe so much
To the enemy
If not for them
Where would we be?

User avatar
Charlie O.
Posts: 39533
Joined: 21 Jul 2003, 19:53
Location: In-A-Badda-La-Wadda, bay-beh

Postby Charlie O. » 25 Nov 2004, 03:10

LMG wrote:It sold poorly, and was deleted in the USA, more a reflection on the decline in Zep's fortunes than the quality of the music.


The LP may have been deleted, but it is still very much available here on CD, as are all their albums. (Just for the record.)

I too prefer it to In Thru The Out Door, and perhaps to Presence as well.

And I love II with a passion, though I'll admit that I generally skip "Whole Lotta Love" these days ("Moby Dick" I can deal with).

no one

Postby no one » 25 Nov 2004, 04:01

LMG wrote:Bonzo's Montreux - Capsizes the album with a drum instrumental which increased teh size of the trust fund for Bonzo's kids. Sorry, but it's shite.


mmmmm.......i saw Kurt Browning do a routine to it that to this day makes me perspire with lust, just remembering it or hearing the song.....

maybe it's just cuz i love rhythm? cuz i do......this has always been one of my favorite tracks of theirs and i can listen to it repeatedly, easily

Image

Bonzo's Montreux was one of two programs that signalled Kurt's
artistic transformation as an eligible skater. The other was
Casablanca. These two programs, vastly different in style and
choreography, together gave judges and audiences a hint of Kurt's
versatility. Bonzo's Montreux was unique at the time for the fact
that it was simply a drum solo with no other instruments. This
program was all about "attack" and aggression, featuring "popping", a
more street-level dance form, with the technical elements inserted in
breaks in the music. Kurt revived this program as a professional
skater in the 1995-1996 season.


(from this page)

it's interesting what the right visuals can do to a song....this man definitely chose a track that left a lasting impression, at least on me....i can't listen to it without remembering that performance from 12 years ago