JOHN PEEL DEAD

Backslapping time. Well done us. We are fantastic.
BIBLE JOHN

Postby BIBLE JOHN » 27 Oct 2004, 21:51

I was really upset when i heard the news.
there is countless great musc we shall never hear now'
JESUS FLUFFED HIS LINES

Neil Jung
Watcher Of The Skies

Postby Neil Jung » 27 Oct 2004, 22:03

This is a link to John's Desert Island Discs
http://www.vacant.org.uk/interviews/peeldid.html - hopefully it hasn't been posted already.

What a pity that they interviewd that utter twat from The Fall on Newsnight. I wanted to throw something at the tv... Tosser.
It was raining when we drove up the two-lane highway through the long tunnel of trees that led into the black district on the south end of St. Martinville.

Bucolic Old Sir Henry
Trufficulteur

Postby Bucolic Old Sir Henry » 27 Oct 2004, 22:23

I come to this late, because I was away from the web yesterday. First: my condolences to Sheila and the children.

I don't want to get into any specious arguments about how important Peel was to music. He was, and remains, a profound influence on the way my musical education developed. For that I will always be grateful.

I rarely listened to Radio London, being more of a Johnny Walker on Radio Caroline person, but when Peel arrived on Radio One he quickly became a staple. It was Saturday afternoons, wasn't it (not Sundays, as Bill Nelson asserts)? He was a champion of all things Bonzo, even "giving" his show to Stanshall and Moon for a chaotic four weeks in the late 60s (some of those shows will be available on my BCBonzos collection, whenever it's finished). His (and producer John Walters) love and respect for Viv stimulated the creation of Sir Henry At Rawlinson End, and many of the "Peel Sessions" tales include snippets of Peel's marvellous voice. At the end of "Aunt Florrie Remembers" he says "That was Viv Stanshall at his unmatchable best. How nice it would be to have that, and more besides, on an album, or a double album, or a triple album if you like." And so it was.

Someone earlier described listening to Peel as listening to a favourite uncle - one with sometimes inexplicable musical taste, but always interesting, relentlessly honest and friendly.

The world is a poorer place without him.

Pip pip!
Limestone Hills/Hot Topic
"She had a snake for a pet, and an amulet,
And she was breeding a dwarf, but it wasn't done yet."

NancyL21st
Miss Eldritch

Postby NancyL21st » 27 Oct 2004, 23:24

Diamonddog wrote:
Sensemeliawopnibop wrote:I don't know whether this has already been mentioned...sorry if it has...but Michael Eavis has said that he will name the New Bands tent at Glastonbury the John Peel Stage

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/music/3957699.stm

Should have been the main stage.

Ditto!
...Pick me up
Pin me down
Beg enough
Shoot me down...

- - - - -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sBZDzjCwf2w
Cabaret Voltaire in Zagreb, Croatia (Sep 28th 1990)

Minnie, Boss of Appropriate Posting

Postby Minnie, Boss of Appropriate Posting » 27 Oct 2004, 23:35

I find myself far sadder today than when hearing the news initially. It must be the 'sinking in' stage.

Bless his cotton socks. Would like to have known him in order to give him a big cuddle and say thanks. But you never really think about this when someone is 65. I am filled with an odd urge to want him to know how much I adored him and how happy he made me and so many others.

Footy
Filler

Postby Footy » 27 Oct 2004, 23:40

Minnie the Minx wrote:I find myself far sadder today than when hearing the news initially. It must be the 'sinking in' stage.

Bless his cotton socks. Would like to have known him in order to give him a big cuddle and say thanks. But you never really think about this when someone is 65. I am filled with an odd urge to want him to know how much I adored him and how happy he made me and so many others.

This is exactly how I've felt today, Minnie.
Grab your coat sweetheart....I've got a knife.

Minnie, Boss of Appropriate Posting

Postby Minnie, Boss of Appropriate Posting » 27 Oct 2004, 23:46

I know footy. Thats death for you, robbing you of the opportunity to say goodbye. And I feel in a weird way like I took him for granted, the assumption he would always be there. As if he was a member of the family! Therein lies a lesson for us all. Tell the people you adore that you do on a regular basis. Still if I had sat down and written him a letter telling him what he meant to me while he was alive he would probably have had bars put on the windows of his house. Especially if I said in it 'Im telling you this because I want you to know it before you die'

I am quite aware that I am making little sense right now, so I may stop typing shortly!

Footy
Filler

Postby Footy » 27 Oct 2004, 23:51

Minnie the Minx wrote: the assumption he would always be there. !

That's half the trouble. I'm nearly 53 and he always bloody well has been there. Now he's not. Nor will be again.
Grab your coat sweetheart....I've got a knife.

MP3PO

Postby MP3PO » 28 Oct 2004, 00:00

I probably should`ve posted this earlier but I wanted to read what alot of people on the board said first.Mainly to get a little more insight into a man that had touched music fans so much.
I had seen John`s name throughout my life in various music magazines in the U.S.and knew that he was a DJ here in England.One thought always ran through my head and that was "how cool would it be to have a DJ around here that plays all that different and cutting edge music".I just could`nt believe when I was younger there was actually a station that played punk bands and grindcore bands on the radio.
The first trip I made over here to meet my now wife was an exciting time.Of course the main thing was to meet her and see if we were as compatible as we thought.Which we were I`m happy to say.I`ll have to say that I could`nt wait to get here and hear John Peels show just one time though! R.I.P.

Nervous Ned

Postby Nervous Ned » 28 Oct 2004, 02:46

At this stage I can't add anything that hasn't already been said.

Currently I'm working temporarily in Singapore (without access to the half a dozen tracks I'd like to play in his memory)
But you might be interested to know that in today's Straits Times there was a quarter page obituary to John.
:D

Neige
Alpine Numpty
Location: On 2 oz of plastic with a hole in the middle (of nowhere)

Postby Neige » 28 Oct 2004, 03:12

There was a half page-tribute in the french newspaper "Libération".

The author noted how hundreds of bands had done Peel Sessions... but not The Clash (they stopped halfway through because the studio wasn't deemed good enough) nor Oasis (because Peel thought they sucked).

:-)
Thumpety-thump beats plinkety-plonk every time. - Rayge

Magilla
Otago Mago

Postby Magilla » 28 Oct 2004, 06:27

Bless you John Peel for your wonderful contribution to peoples lives around the world, through your adventurous taste and love of music.

Even here in NZ we're sad. Bands like The Datsuns, The Chills, Straitjacket Fits all recorded a Peel Session, which was quite exciting for us to have our bands recognised by someone like Peel on the other side of the world.

Peel visited NZ a couple of years ago and while 'Teenage Kicks' was played, apparently his eyes watered up at hearing it once again.

John Peel, RIP.
"U2 routinely spent a year in the studio...I have a theory: if you put four monkeys in the studio for a year with Lanois and Eno and Lillywhite, they would make a pretty good record, too."

Billy

Postby Billy » 28 Oct 2004, 07:18

Magilla wrote:Even here in NZ we're sad. Bands like The Datsuns, The Chills, Straitjacket Fits all recorded a Peel Session, which was quite exciting for us to have our bands recognised by someone like Peel on the other side of the world.

I found a tape yesterday of some recordings from his shows from 1985, amongst which he plays records, for the very first time, by the Chills, Straightjacket fits et al., a whole New Zealand segment, which had just recently been sent to him .....

I still can't find my festive 50s archives though .... :cry:
Last edited by Billy on 28 Oct 2004, 07:38, edited 1 time in total.

Piet

Postby Piet » 28 Oct 2004, 07:34

Bucolic Old Sir Henry wrote:I come to this late, because I was away from the web yesterday. First: my condolences to Sheila and the children.

I don't want to get into any specious arguments about how important Peel was to music. He was, and remains, a profound influence on the way my musical education developed. For that I will always be grateful.

I rarely listened to Radio London, being more of a Johnny Walker on Radio Caroline person, but when Peel arrived on Radio One he quickly became a staple. It was Saturday afternoons, wasn't it (not Sundays, as Bill Nelson asserts)? He was a champion of all things Bonzo, even "giving" his show to Stanshall and Moon for a chaotic four weeks in the late 60s (some of those shows will be available on my BCBonzos collection, whenever it's finished). His (and producer John Walters) love and respect for Viv stimulated the creation of Sir Henry At Rawlinson End, and many of the "Peel Sessions" tales include snippets of Peel's marvellous voice. At the end of "Aunt Florrie Remembers" he says "That was Viv Stanshall at his unmatchable best. How nice it would be to have that, and more besides, on an album, or a double album, or a triple album if you like." And so it was.

Someone earlier described listening to Peel as listening to a favourite uncle - one with sometimes inexplicable musical taste, but always interesting, relentlessly honest and friendly.

The world is a poorer place without him.

Pip pip!

I definitely remember the 'Top Gear' programme (produced by Bernie Andrews) appearing at first on a Sunday. Sunday afternoon 2pm - 5pm. Later, I think, it switched to Saturdays with John Walters producing.

My fondest memory on one of the early '68 programmes was hearing 'Expecting To Fly' segue into "She Comes In Colors" finishing the sequence with Steve Miller's 'In My First Mind'. All first time listening experiences.

NancyL21st
Miss Eldritch

Postby NancyL21st » 28 Oct 2004, 12:41

Here's a John Peel minipop:

http://www.flipflopflyin.com/minipops/
...Pick me up
Pin me down
Beg enough
Shoot me down...

- - - - -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sBZDzjCwf2w
Cabaret Voltaire in Zagreb, Croatia (Sep 28th 1990)

purgatory brite

Postby purgatory brite » 28 Oct 2004, 13:32

I think that all that needs to be said about John Peel has already been said on this thread.

In an age when people who cheat on a TV game show or disgraced politicians become "celebrities", John Peel shone out like a beacon.

G

Carl's Son
Grade A Shitpipe

Postby Carl's Son » 28 Oct 2004, 15:44

Well, its all ben said really but I loved John Peel. Even when I was young and hadn't really got into music I already loved john Peel from reading his radio one column. Looking back, I didn't listen to his show as often as I'd have liked. There was going out and TV and new CDs and whatever else going on at that time of night. You always think well I can listen again sometime. Oh well. Listening to him was great though, with his wit and warmth. compare him with DJs like Zane "Indie Tim Westwood" Lowe. Radio programmers seem to think that presenters have to shout or a music show wont be exciting. That the youth of today cant concentrate on anything in less you keep yelling at them. Well bollocks! All you need is some infectious enthusiasm and a love of music.
No DJ will ever last at radio 1 for so long again. I wonder what radio 1 will put in his slot now.
I can just about handle you driving like a pissed up crackhead and treating women like beanbags but I'm gonna say this once and once only Gene, stay out of Camberwick Green!

www.chrischopping.virb.com

http://thatidiotchrischopping.blogspot.com

Errant Panda

Postby Errant Panda » 28 Oct 2004, 15:47

Chris Chopping wrote:Well, its all ben said really but I loved John Peel. Even when I was young and hadn't really got into music I already loved john Peel from reading his radio one column. Looking back, I didn't listen to his show as often as I'd have liked. There was going out and TV and new CDs and whatever else going on at that time of night. You always think well I can listen again sometime. Oh well. Listening to him was great though, with his wit and warmth. compare him with DJs like Zane "Indie Tim Westwood" Lowe. Radio programmers seem to think that presenters have to shout or a music show wont be exciting. That the youth of today cant concentrate on anything in less you keep yelling at them. Well bollocks! All you need is some infectious enthusiasm and a love of music.
No DJ will ever last at radio 1 for so long again. I wonder what radio 1 will put in his slot now.

Is Zane Lowe actually American or what?
As I am right 98% of the time I see no point in quibbling over 3%

Carl's Son
Grade A Shitpipe

Postby Carl's Son » 28 Oct 2004, 15:48

ashers wrote:
Chris Chopping wrote:Well, its all ben said really but I loved John Peel. Even when I was young and hadn't really got into music I already loved john Peel from reading his radio one column. Looking back, I didn't listen to his show as often as I'd have liked. There was going out and TV and new CDs and whatever else going on at that time of night. You always think well I can listen again sometime. Oh well. Listening to him was great though, with his wit and warmth. compare him with DJs like Zane "Indie Tim Westwood" Lowe. Radio programmers seem to think that presenters have to shout or a music show wont be exciting. That the youth of today cant concentrate on anything in less you keep yelling at them. Well bollocks! All you need is some infectious enthusiasm and a love of music.

I thought he was from New Zealand? Being American is no excuse.
Is Zane Lowe actually American or what?
I can just about handle you driving like a pissed up crackhead and treating women like beanbags but I'm gonna say this once and once only Gene, stay out of Camberwick Green!

www.chrischopping.virb.com

http://thatidiotchrischopping.blogspot.com

Sea Of Tunes
down the drain

Postby Sea Of Tunes » 28 Oct 2004, 15:49

You said it Chris -
he was such a longtime 'presence' that I exactly felt the same. I often thought: 'well, shortly I might develop a need for cutting-edge adventurous new music again. I'll tune into Peelie quickly then!' And now that he is gone, one feels in a very harsh way what mortality means, and how precious things are, and that good things must be savoured while they are still with one.
It is not down on any map. True places never are.