The sampling debate

Backslapping time. Well done us. We are fantastic.
Deebank
Resonator

Postby Deebank » 15 Oct 2004, 13:33

"Andy Weatherall can mix records together backwards. Can Eric Clapton play his guitar solos backwards, for instance?"

Yes, I think he probably can :roll:
I've been talking about writing a book - 25 years of TEFL - for a few years now. I've got it in me.

Paid anghofio fod dy galon yn y chwyldro

--
Judgement Day is upon you

Postby -- » 15 Oct 2004, 14:26

Deebank wrote::roll:

The point (*neeeeeeeow*) was that I saw him do this and it was hugely entertaining and an exceptional piece of DJing (I'm sure that Bleep would be much more able than me to describe the actual process involved and the ins and outs), an interesting and inventive way of using sounds and music.

Evidently, you weren't as entertained by your Clapton concert, unfortunately. At least, you think not... Age is a terrible thing. :P

Deebank
Resonator

Postby Deebank » 15 Oct 2004, 15:11

Iam wrote:
Deebank wrote::roll:

The point (*neeeeeeeow*) was that I saw him do this and it was hugely entertaining and an exceptional piece of DJing (I'm sure that Bleep would be much more able than me to describe the actual process involved and the ins and outs), an interesting and inventive way of using sounds and music.

Evidently, you weren't as entertained by your Clapton concert, unfortunately. At least, you think not... Age is a terrible thing. :P

Nope, I'm pleased to report i've never seen "God" play live, it was just an educated guess that he could probably play his solos backwards.

The most exciting thing 'Old Slowhand' (I wonder what qualified him for that moniker? He probably spent hours in the loo as a teenager) ever did was take smack - but not nearly enough in my book.

PS - you're probably older than me.
I've been talking about writing a book - 25 years of TEFL - for a few years now. I've got it in me.

Paid anghofio fod dy galon yn y chwyldro

--
Judgement Day is upon you

Postby -- » 15 Oct 2004, 15:27

Yeah, I kinda figured EC wasn't your style. ;)

As for the age thing, just a (shit) gag, mate, it makes not one iota of difference to me how old you (or anyone) is.

The Write Profile
2017 BCB Cup Champ

Postby The Write Profile » 23 Dec 2004, 00:10

Iam wrote:There's plenty of really godawful guitar bands out there, too... How easy would it be to train a chimp to strum 3 chords and mumble "Hard To Explain" a few times? Instant hit record...

;)

One thing I would like to say is that I'd much rather learn to play a guitar than mix a disc. I don't know, it seems more organic, which kind of highlights my contradiction when it comes to music.

But as Iam alluded to here, sampling can be an example of songwriting if used correctly, because if placed in the right situtation it becomes the song. The Go! Team are current favourite example of that. Personally, I quite like a mix between both instrumentation and sampling.
It's before my time but I've been told, he never came back from Karangahape Road.

Ranking Ted

Postby Ranking Ted » 23 Dec 2004, 00:13

The Right Summery Profile wrote:
Iam wrote:There's plenty of really godawful guitar bands out there, too... How easy would it be to train a chimp to strum 3 chords and mumble "Hard To Explain" a few times? Instant hit record...

;)

One thing I would like to say is that I'd much rather learn to play a guitar than mix a disc. I don't know, it seems more organic, which kind of highlights my contradiction when it comes to music.

But as Iam alluded to here, sampling can be an example of songwriting if used correctly, because if placed in the right situtation it becomes the song. The Go! Team are current favourite example of that. Personally, I quite like a mix between both instrumentation and sampling.

*coughs* Beastie Boys

Flash Gordon's Ape
Hail, hail!

Postby Flash Gordon's Ape » 23 Dec 2004, 00:38

IlModernista wrote:Think of the inspired use of James Brown on Rebel Without A Pause.

Is that the on where they mix his voice with Miles' trumpet ?
The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.

The Write Profile
2017 BCB Cup Champ

Postby The Write Profile » 10 Jan 2005, 07:58

To further add to the confusion of the debate, where do projects like chris' "Revolved" Beatles-mash-up fit into the discussion? Re-mixes too, are another interesting point for discussion.
Do you think that they have the potential to be just as artistically worthy or reverential, if done in the right manner. Or are they too ephemeral to stand on their own?

Personally, I'm quite digging the new version of "Taxman".
It's before my time but I've been told, he never came back from Karangahape Road.

The Write Profile
2017 BCB Cup Champ

Postby The Write Profile » 25 Apr 2005, 23:04

When listening to Edan's lastest, one of the things I quite liked about is that the samples were done in such a way that, if you knew the original song, you'd probably recognise it, otherwise it helped form part of the backdrop anyway.

The Avalanches and Go! Team are the best sample-songwriters around at the moment, of course
Sometimes just leaving a sample there in full can be quite clever, particularly if it becomes part of the entire piece: the sampled dialogue from Made in Britain on Skinnyman's album is what makes it work.

Another question is the nature of remixes: should they be considered, as, at best separate from the original work, or merely extensions of it (c.f. Aphex Twin's 26 Mixes For Cash)

Another thing: I think the internet has actually opened up way more areas for sampling than previously because it's easier to take tracks and layer them over oneanother, legal issues be damned

Return to “Classic Threads & Treasury of Mirth”