I don't 'get' Bowie at all.

Backslapping time. Well done us. We are fantastic.
JQW

I don't 'get' Bowie at all.

Postby JQW » 12 Oct 2004, 09:31

I listened to all of 'The Rise And Fall of Ziggy Stardust' last night, and simply couldn't understand why the thing is so highly rated.

The same applies to every other Bowie album I've ever heard. Not one has done anything for me. He just sounds like a charlatan to me, riding on the coat-tails of his latest producer or collaborator.

Where am I going wrong?
The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. - Bertrand Russell

bhoywonder
The Magnificent

Postby bhoywonder » 12 Oct 2004, 10:11

You're not going wrong at all. You're dead right. Sort of.

Ziggy is a great pop record, has some cracking bits and I thoroughly enjoy it, but only in the same way I enjoy Sheer Heart Attack.

He's the most over-rated artist ever, to these ears. Don't worry about it mate.

andymacandy
"Liberal Airhead"

Postby andymacandy » 12 Oct 2004, 10:21

Some of it is fabulous, some I just dont get either.I dont remember enough to know when he was riding the wave, or when he was leading the way.He certainly made some of the great albums, specifically ZS, DD and Low, which I love, but much of it just doesnt sound as great as his reputation says it should be.
He was/is a very smart guy though.He always knew where to go for the hip stuff, even if he wasnt making it up himself.
Bless the weather.......Image

Errant Panda

Postby Errant Panda » 12 Oct 2004, 10:25

Prepare to be flamed by a teenage girly from the Midlands any time soon...
As I am right 98% of the time I see no point in quibbling over 3%

KeithPratt
Arsehole all Erect

Postby KeithPratt » 12 Oct 2004, 10:44

Low.

The End.

Shagger Dave
connecticut hermit

Postby Shagger Dave » 12 Oct 2004, 10:50

I think once he hit his stride around Hunky Dory he ws pretty brilliant up until Young Americans, which is pretty dull, but then rebounded until Scarey Monsters. He is a bit of a stylistic chameleon but I don't think it was until let's Dance that hestarted chasing whatever was hip in his reinventions. I mean, if you listen to Low or Heroes they both sound years ahead of their time, and I doubt it was all Eno's imput. Same for his glam period- Visconti worked with Bolan as well as Bowie so all credit can't go there. I love T.Rex but if Bowies songs weren't as consistantly strong he's have sank as quickly as Bolan did.
He tries.

atomic loonybin
ready for the house

Postby atomic loonybin » 12 Oct 2004, 11:19

A new low.

I'm off.

andymacandy
"Liberal Airhead"

Postby andymacandy » 12 Oct 2004, 11:27

Atomic Loonybin wrote:A new low.

I'm off.

Meet the new low, same as the old low?
Bless the weather.......Image

Cédric

Postby Cédric » 12 Oct 2004, 11:29

Introduce me to Gladstone wrote:Low.

The End.

:lol: So you're still there, aren't you ? :-)
Captain Spaulding wrote:I sent my list already! It´s shit.

I´m so excited.

cheifwhat

Postby cheifwhat » 12 Oct 2004, 11:35

i kind of agree myself here,

his albums are pretty far from consistent for the most part.

but then, if you listen to his earlier greatest hits, you'll hear some breath-takingly good songs with some real variety in there.

for a good ratio of decent to flawless album i doubt you can really beat the beatles and led zeppelin.

certainly i dont think his bobness is quite up there, far too much shite. same with bowie.
Mostly dancing sir,...

Minnie, Boss of Appropriate Posting

Postby Minnie, Boss of Appropriate Posting » 12 Oct 2004, 12:04

I could talk at length about my fondness for his music but Im off t' shops in a minute so I will just say this..I fancied him more before he got his teeth done.

Ditto Clive Owen

NancyL21st
Miss Eldritch

Postby NancyL21st » 12 Oct 2004, 12:10

I oftenly don't get Metallica and it's not that big thing. You can't get into each and every artist/band around, can you?
...Pick me up
Pin me down
Beg enough
Shoot me down...

- - - - -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sBZDzjCwf2w
Cabaret Voltaire in Zagreb, Croatia (Sep 28th 1990)

The Prof
Trading coffee in Abyssinia

Postby The Prof » 12 Oct 2004, 12:18

Nancy Von Eldritch wrote:I oftenly don't get Metallica and it's not that big thing. You can't get into each and every artist/band around, can you?

A bag of whatever Nancy's on please barman..

NancyL21st
Miss Eldritch

Postby NancyL21st » 12 Oct 2004, 12:24

TheProf wrote:
Nancy Von Eldritch wrote:I oftenly don't get Metallica and it's not that big thing. You can't get into each and every artist/band around, can you?

:-)

It's true, innit?
...Pick me up
Pin me down
Beg enough
Shoot me down...

- - - - -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sBZDzjCwf2w
Cabaret Voltaire in Zagreb, Croatia (Sep 28th 1990)

chunky

Postby chunky » 12 Oct 2004, 12:26

Bowie is a bit like the Kinks (shields head instinctively) in that there are always dud tracks and never a whole end to end brilliant album. I could make youse a gas 2cd best off tho. H's also a bit like Lou Reed - an erratic genius who goes through hot and cold patches.
So there.
I'm a country member.

cheifwhat

Postby cheifwhat » 12 Oct 2004, 12:42

chunky wrote:Bowie is a bit like the Kinks (shields head instinctively) in that there are always dud tracks and never a whole end to end brilliant album. I could make youse a gas 2cd best off tho. H's also a bit like Lou Reed - an erratic genius who goes through hot and cold patches.
So there.

yeah,

so there to you too ye big gay bollocks.
Mostly dancing sir,...

the masked man
Schadenfreude

Postby the masked man » 12 Oct 2004, 12:45

I personally find "Ziggy" very enjoyable but a bit soulless. There always has been a feeling that he, at least in the early days, was creating brilliant masks rather than looking into his heart. I still love the record but I can understand why it might leave someone cold.

His late 70s work, however, is another thing entirely. He's staring into the mirror and he really doesn't like what he sees. "Low" is an emotionally shattering record and the whole of his Berlin period is surely his artistic peak. He's been going downhill ever since, though his recent records show flickers of life.

Having said that, I'm looking forward to seeing him play double bass in Leeds shortly...

emerson boozer

Postby emerson boozer » 12 Oct 2004, 13:10

I agree. I like some of his stuff alot, but don't find it anywhere near my favorites. It's been said alot before, and more articulately, but he's an actor playing the part of a musician, and this, I believe is where the soulessness comes from.

Scally Mcgrew
apparent poobah

Postby Scally Mcgrew » 12 Oct 2004, 13:20

Give or take the odd dud, I thought he was great up until (and including) 'Let's Dance'. The original version of 'The Prettiest Star' is one of my favourites, while 'Ashes To Ashes' is, in my opinion, sheer brilliance.

I've liked odd tracks over the past few years, and I have to say that I believe the title song to 'The Buddha Of Suburbia' ranks alongside his very best work.
Know what really makes me mad? They clean me with a Brillo pad...

Silent Bob

Postby Silent Bob » 12 Oct 2004, 14:08

Nancy Von Eldritch wrote:
TheProf wrote:

:-)

It's true, innit?

It's frightening that Nancy doesn't drink, smoke or take drugs. Imagine what she would be like if she did :shock:
The picture you see is no portrait of me

Return to “Classic Threads & Treasury of Mirth”