"John Lennon/Plastic Ono Band" - vote please!!

Backslapping time. Well done us. We are fantastic.

"John Lennon/Plastic Ono Band" - vote for your favourite track, please!!

1. Mother
16%
2. Hold On
1%
3. I Found Out
5%
4. Working Class Hero
24%
5. Isolation
13%
6. Remember
6%
7. Love
9%
8. Well, Well, Well
5%
9. Look At Me
No votes
10. God
21%
11. My Mummy's Dead
1%

Total votes: 101

Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.

"John Lennon/Plastic Ono Band" - vote please!!

Postby Diamond Dog » 12 Sep 2004, 15:09

The third in an occasional series of 'classic' albums, we arrive at the first 'real' Lennon solo album, released in 1970.
So, what do you think of it now? Has it stood the test of time? Is it his best solo album? what's your favourite track, and why? Debate and vote on, please!!
Last edited by Diamond Dog on 12 Feb 2009, 18:04, edited 1 time in total.
Nicotine, valium, vicadin, marijuana, ecstasy, and alcohol -
Cocaine

Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.

Postby Diamond Dog » 12 Sep 2004, 15:11

The Smamfy wrote:("waiter, a barrel to scrape, please..")

Not your favourite Sam?
Nicotine, valium, vicadin, marijuana, ecstasy, and alcohol -
Cocaine

atomic loonybin
ready for the house

Postby atomic loonybin » 12 Sep 2004, 15:16

Mother.

I feel his pain.

Kenji
Otaku

Postby Kenji » 12 Sep 2004, 15:43

I love the album - "Mother" and "God" are my favorite ones...

Grollope
Barred from the Eisteddfod

Postby Grollope » 12 Sep 2004, 15:45

He was one of the most middle class musicians to come out of Merseyside so I find it a tad incongrous for him to assume the mantle of the working class hero. But I voted it for another reason entirely (and no not using that word either).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m-C2Ar4gpi8

Jimbo wrote: my gay friend told me all one has to do is take half. Sounds sensible. Try it.

Copehead wrote: they are choosing to monitor butt hose

Walk In My Shadow
Hello Laydeez

Postby Walk In My Shadow » 12 Sep 2004, 16:03

No.
This is not a classic album IMHO.
Beneluxfunkmeisterlurvegod

tweetybird

Postby tweetybird » 12 Sep 2004, 16:07

It's not a classic album, imho. Way too self-indulgent.

Working Class Hero is the only song of worth (again, imho), but I prefer the Marianne Faithfull version anyway.

Guy E

Postby Guy E » 12 Sep 2004, 16:16

I loved it when it came out, but after buying the CD have only listened once or twice and didin't enjoy it too much when I did. Maybe I wasn't in the mood, maybe I never will be again.

no one

Postby no one » 12 Sep 2004, 17:02

"Love"

such a beautiful song

Phenomenal Cat
death on four legs

Postby Phenomenal Cat » 12 Sep 2004, 17:18

Wow! I always considered "POB" a well regarded and classic album. If anything, I just love the hollowed out, bare bones production style. I couldn't pick a favorite song; I always take the album as a whole. John Lennon's tendency to personalize his work (that is, write songs about being John) wears on me a bit ("Help!" is okay, but "The Ballad of John and Yoko" is bit too self-mythologizing).

I think "POB" works because it is consistent in its aims, and you can tell that the band, like a lot of Dylan's stuff, was learning the songs as the tape was rolling. There's a little "POB" in everything from Bowie's "Five Years" to Nirvana's "Serve the Servants".

It beats the hell out of "Mind Games". I'll take "POB" over that mush anyday.
kath wrote:i will make it my mission to nail you.

But somehow when you smile, I can brave bad weather.

Slim!
Incorrect

Postby Slim! » 12 Sep 2004, 17:20

Sorry, but Working Class Hero is the winner!
Scally Mcgrew wrote:

I think Slim has excellent taste in music.

geoffcowgill
exceptionally nondescript

Postby geoffcowgill » 12 Sep 2004, 17:35

The heart of this album for me is tracks 3-6 and it is very hard for me to pick from those. I can understand the views of some of the dissenters on this thread, especially when looking at some of the under-developed stuff like "Hold On" and "Well Well Well" (though, there is a certain ragged charm to those tracks that if in the right mood I can enjoy). But the four tracks I mentioned and "Mother" are among the real highlights of Lennon's solo work.

I think I'll go with "Isolation". The dig at Paul (?) on the bridge ("I don't expect you to understand...") is probably the most objective Lennon allowed himself to be in song about that bitter rift. Victims of the insane. It's also great for the combination of fragility and defiance, the type of thing that very few others could honestly pull off.

The whole thing is such a singular work, which may be a good thing. Even its great fans wouldn't probably want a whole lot of other albums to sound like it. That's one of the reasons it probably stands as such an immediately accepted classic album (though maybe not with this community, huh?). Its sui generis nature assures that it stands out maybe more so than its actual consistency of quality in the songs. "Imagine" is probably the better album, but "Plastic Ono Band" will eternally be considered the cooler choice.

Phenomenal Cat
death on four legs

Postby Phenomenal Cat » 12 Sep 2004, 17:40

geoffcowgill wrote:The whole thing is such a singular work, which may be a good thing. Even its great fans wouldn't probably want a whole lot of other albums to sound like it. That's one of the reasons it probably stands as such an immediately accepted classic album (though maybe not with this community, huh?). Its sui generis nature assures that it stands out maybe more so than its actual consistency of quality in the songs. "Imagine" is probably the better album, but "Plastic Ono Band" will eternally be considered the cooler choice.

Amen, brother. Amen!
kath wrote:i will make it my mission to nail you.

But somehow when you smile, I can brave bad weather.

Bungo the Mungo

Postby Bungo the Mungo » 12 Sep 2004, 18:17

goldwax wrote:A truly great album, up there with the best the Beatles or anyone else has ever created.

agreed

BARON CORNY DOG
Diamond Geezer

Postby BARON CORNY DOG » 12 Sep 2004, 18:29

solarskope wrote:
goldwax wrote:A truly great album, up there with the best the Beatles or anyone else has ever created.

agreed

And thirded. I'll vote later.
take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

Neige
Alpine Numpty
Location: On 2 oz of plastic with a hole in the middle (of nowhere)

Postby Neige » 12 Sep 2004, 22:02

Fourthed... and I refuse to vote!
Thumpety-thump beats plinkety-plonk every time. - Rayge

The Modernist

Postby The Modernist » 12 Sep 2004, 22:05

Has to be Working Class Hero, arguably his greatest, and certainly truest, lyric.

Gater

Postby Gater » 12 Sep 2004, 23:29

Working Class Hero for me.
I wont retire,but I might retread.

Magilla
Otago Mago

Postby Magilla » 13 Sep 2004, 00:45

This is actually the only Beatles-related album I own. I bought it about 10 years ago as I saw it going cheap and Chris Knox (a major NZ music figure) was always prattling on about it, so I was curious.
I've played it about three times since and still can't figure out if it's a load of weak, self-indulgent cack, or great album loaded with brilliant soul-bearing, cathartic songs, blah, blah, blah.

I'm actually more curious to here the Yoko solo album that I understand goes by the same name, with the same cover art, etc, as it's supposed to be quite experimental, weird, etc. (Or "shite" as you may see it).
"U2 routinely spent a year in the studio...I have a theory: if you put four monkeys in the studio for a year with Lanois and Eno and Lillywhite, they would make a pretty good record, too."

Carl's Son
Grade A Shitpipe

Postby Carl's Son » 13 Sep 2004, 00:48

:shock: Scanning the list I realised I only know two of the songs off this album! I really must give it a listen sometime!
Love is ok, I'm not a big fan of Working Class Hero. I'll vote when I'm better qualified!
I can just about handle you driving like a pissed up crackhead and treating women like beanbags but I'm gonna say this once and once only Gene, stay out of Camberwick Green!

www.chrischopping.virb.com

http://thatidiotchrischopping.blogspot.com

Return to “Classic Threads & Treasury of Mirth”