Does our board have more soul?

Backslapping time. Well done us. We are fantastic.
LeBaron
Diamond Geezer

Postby LeBaron » 21 Aug 2004, 00:22

Well I was a No Wave Nazi when I was six or seven. I guess I'm just regressing (musically and all).
Quaco wrote:Are you fucking high?

take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

Postby Guest » 21 Aug 2004, 00:23

goldwax wrote:
Nikki Gradual wrote:
the blond bimbo wrote:
Nikki Gradual wrote:General point to the sould nazis.
Let it go. No one actually owns soul music .Let everyone enjoy it without having to wave their fucking dicks in the air and sign an affadavit that they were listening to King & Queen when they were seven.
Thank you for reading.

eh?

There seem to be some people who want to "own"soul and make everyone else justify their qualifications to listen to it. This is not the first thread along those lines. They crop up every now and again and I'm fucking sick of it.

What are you drinking?

If you are indeed sober, could you please pull out some quotes for us?

None of Nikki's cars would start this morning....

The Modernist

Postby The Modernist » 21 Aug 2004, 00:36

Nikki Gradual wrote:
the blond bimbo wrote:
Let it go. No one actually owns soul music .Let everyone enjoy it without having to wave their fucking dicks in the air and sign an affadavit that they were listening to King & Queen when they were seven.
Thank you for reading.

eh?

There seem to be some people who want to "own"soul and make everyone else justify their qualifications to listen to it. This is not the first thread along those lines. They crop up every now and again and I'm fucking sick of it.

It was ever thus. Look at the northern soul scene, people covering up labels so that others don't know what they've got. I've no idea why soul should inspire this kind of musical elitism, but it always has done.

Vic Snazell-Sprey
Utter Cad

Postby Vic Snazell-Sprey » 21 Aug 2004, 00:39

Nikki Gradual wrote:
the blond bimbo wrote:
Thank you for reading.

eh?

i can see what nikki is on about but i'm not sure it's any different from the rolling stones gestapo who tut at you if you don't own "goats head soup" or suggest that "heaven up here" is better than "their satanic majesties".
Little Jim was no-one's fool - he owned the town's only jam butty mine.

--
Judgement Day is upon you

Re: Does our board have more soul?

Postby -- » 21 Aug 2004, 00:40

Jimbo wrote:
Bruno wrote:
I still love the old Eric B and rakim lps. I play the Streets cd a lot, and I do keep up as best i can. The trouble is I dont like a lot of what is being made now. It has gone past the "I dont get it", and is now, " I dont want to hear it". I am baffled by Ghetto culture and Bling, enraged by the filthy language in such common use on records intended for children, and furious at the liberties taken with music made by people who learned to play their instruments and died poor so some two bit punk could rake in million from their hooks.

Very well said.

And from what I've heard The Streets is (are?) really good

Smeh. And it's not Hip Hop (or Rap) anyway.

Postby Guest » 21 Aug 2004, 00:43

the blond bimbo wrote:or suggest that "heaven up here" is better than "their satanic majesties".

And some fucking wingnut suggested something similar here recently.

Honestly, I despair at times, I do.

Vic Snazell-Sprey
Utter Cad

Postby Vic Snazell-Sprey » 21 Aug 2004, 00:44

TheModernist wrote:
It was ever thus. Look at the northern soul scene, people covering up labels so that others don't know what they've got. I've no idea why soul should inspire this kind of musical elitism, but it always has done.

an excellent observation, gerraint.

it's like music is music but soul is better and we're fucked if we're going to give you the secret handshake, you fucking loser.

that said, personally i wouldn't give the secret handshake to a van halen fan. they just don't deserve enlightenment, do they?

Owen
definitely not Travolta

Postby Owen » 21 Aug 2004, 00:47

the blond bimbo wrote:
TheModernist wrote:

it's like music is music but soul is better and we're fucked if we're going to give you the secret handshake, you fucking loser.

I'm not a northern soul fan of any kind, in large part because I think that elitism lead to the elevation of crap on rarity value.

BUT you will find exactly the same behaviour in every single dance DJ based form of music from 1960s Jamaican sound systems to DJ shadow compiling funk compilations that dont tell you the name of the tracks.

It's a business/mystique/ego thing for DJs not anything connected to the music.

--

Postby -- » 21 Aug 2004, 00:49

Owen wrote:
the blond bimbo wrote:
TheModernist wrote:

I'm not a northern soul fan of any kind, in large part because I think that elitism lead to the elevation of crap on rarity value.

BUT you will find exactly the same behaviour in every single dance DJ based form of music from 1960s Jamaican sound systems to DJ shadow compiling funk compilations that dont tell you the name of the tracks.

Death to the superstar DJ!! :twisted:

[/prod]

--

Postby -- » 21 Aug 2004, 00:50

Well, maybe not death.

But certainly a stern telling off.

Owen
definitely not Travolta

Postby Owen » 21 Aug 2004, 00:50

goldwax wrote:
Owen wrote:
the blond bimbo wrote:
TheModernist wrote:

Come on, now. Punk, prog, and indie-rock have the same thing going on.

the hiding the names of tracks?

Maybe I dont know much about them. I know reggae, funk, rare groove, DJ based hip hop definitely do. Every DJ based form of music does, the whole idea of a star DJ is based on access to exclusive tracks.

It is still a shitty side of Northern Soul though and as I said part of the reason I dont really buy NS stuff.

Jeff K
The Original K

Postby Jeff K » 21 Aug 2004, 00:54

I am learning something new here. You mean to tell me, DJ's actually cover up the labels of certain records to prevent others from finding out what the song is? That's insane!
the science eel experiment wrote:Jesus Christ can't save BCB, i believe i can.

Owen
definitely not Travolta

Postby Owen » 21 Aug 2004, 00:57

Jeff K wrote:I am learning something new here. You mean to tell me, DJ's actually cover up the labels of certain records to prevent others from finding out what the song is? That's insane!

Yep, I dont know about in NS but in Jamaica they would actually write other names on the labels and announce those song names to send their rivals trying to buy ones that didn't exist.

Vic Snazell-Sprey
Utter Cad

Postby Vic Snazell-Sprey » 21 Aug 2004, 00:58

Owen wrote:
It is still a shitty side of Northern Soul though and as I said part of the reason I dont really buy NS stuff.

a lot of northern soul is, frankly, obscure because it is inferior but there are still many gems to be had. i buy the odd compy and usually find that 25% of it is great and the rest so-so to dreadful. that's good enough for me. in a way, it almost equates to that british punk thing about robbing a corner shop to finance your 7" single before going back to your day job. i'm fascinated with how, say, jimmy "soul" clark might have faired on a major label.

Vic Snazell-Sprey
Utter Cad

Postby Vic Snazell-Sprey » 21 Aug 2004, 01:02

Jeff K wrote:I am learning something new here. You mean to tell me, DJ's actually cover up the labels of certain records to prevent others from finding out what the song is? That's insane!

that was rife in the british northern soul scene.

they found the records then kept them hidden so that they maintained their uniqueness. it was a very big deal on that scene.

Vic Snazell-Sprey
Utter Cad

Postby Vic Snazell-Sprey » 21 Aug 2004, 01:04

Owen wrote:Yep, I dont know about in NS

oh, it happened in the northern soul scene too.

Shagger Dave
connecticut hermit

Postby Shagger Dave » 21 Aug 2004, 01:07

the blond bimbo wrote:

that was rife in the british northern soul scene.

they found the records then kept them hidden so that they maintained their uniqueness. it was a very big deal on that scene.

Early hip-hop DJ's would do the same thing so no one else could use the same breaks.
He tries.

The Write Profile
2017 BCB Cup Champ

Postby The Write Profile » 21 Aug 2004, 01:14

Okay, can't be as knowledgeable as some on these boards...so I'll jus reply to some relevant points which I can

1. I've been a Dusty in Memphis fan since I was 18. Which isn't as good as Charming Ali, but then, no-one is. Do I qualify for griff's hall of people with good taste?

2. Basement Jaxxx are one of the better live acts I've "Good LucK", when Lisa from the Bellrays sings it, brings the floor down. Them and Underworld are probably two of the most purely euphoric live experiences I've had. But Rooty is a much better album than Kish-Kash, if only because it doesn't tail off, and its peaks are buttressed by...more peaks

3. Soul Music. Well, I started the essential Soul thread a wee while back, which just goes to show it's a genre I feel I should get into more quickly than Rock? Why? I don't know--maybe it's because with rock, I feel I have all the time in the World. But hearing Al Green for the first time was pretty bloody religious for me.

4. Comparing rap with soul music is not quite right, as there's too many splintered influences going on in hip-hop. It's the magic of computers and beatboxes which means that the best stuff is terrifyingly eclectic, and conversely, the worst stuff is just thieving nonsense that's worse than Jet.

5. DJs/Snobbery. My faovurite story along those lines is when Stock, Aitken and Waterman released a black label "bootleg", which the DJ's claimed as their own...and then discovered it had been created in a few hours by a drum machine. Genuis.

The superstar DJ is repugnant. But there you go...

Do I qualify for this thread now?
It's before my time but I've been told, he never came back from Karangahape Road.

Owen
definitely not Travolta

Postby Owen » 21 Aug 2004, 01:24

The Right Scarfie Profile wrote:1. I've been a Dusty in Memphis fan since I was 18. Which isn't as good as Charming Ali, but then, no-one is.

I think Leg of Lamb probably has you both beat but if we go down that route we end up with the Eyeball kid as king of the universe or something and I really dont want to do that.