Does our board have more soul?

Backslapping time. Well done us. We are fantastic.
Nikki Gradual
nasty, brutish and short

Re: Does our board have more soul?

Postby Nikki Gradual » 20 Aug 2004, 22:29

goldwax wrote: A bit of both?

This one.
"He's thrown a kettle over a pub; what have you done?"

Tonto Papadopoulos
Utter Cad

Postby Tonto Papadopoulos » 20 Aug 2004, 22:30

goldwax wrote:
I remember that as recently as late spring of 2003 some newbie made some desperate post about the lack of soul threads.

that could well have been me. i certainly remember bemoaning the "classic rock" feel to mojo at the time; one of the reasons i was at least as comfortable on Q for a while, despite my advancing years!

i think soul is better represented here these days than pop (whatever that may be) and hip-hop.
Apologising for the incitement of racial hatred in modern-Day Britain, Toby wrote:Also, what sort of society do we live in where jokes about religious garb or dress can't be made?

Cédric

Postby Cédric » 20 Aug 2004, 22:33

goldwax wrote:Is this because more soul people have arrived? (People like Baron, for example.)

What do you mean ? Baron was there all the time. On Mojo and here since the beginning. He even took part of the "We Got More Soul" exchange. Don't you remember ?
Captain Spaulding wrote:I sent my list already! It´s shit.

I´m so excited.

Tonto Papadopoulos
Utter Cad

Postby Tonto Papadopoulos » 20 Aug 2004, 22:36

goldwax wrote:
the blond bimbo wrote:
goldwax wrote:
I remember that as recently as late spring of 2003 some newbie made some desperate post about the lack of soul threads.

that could well have been me. i certainly remember bemoaning the "classic rock" feel to mojo at the time. one of the reasons i was at least as comfortable on Q for a while, despite my advancing years!

i think soul is better represented here these days than pop (whatever that may be) and hip-hop.

It was definitely a newbie, so that rules you out, unless you were using an alias, of course.

well, i joined in october '02, i think. probably not me that time.

but yeah, i agree with nikki. mojo seemed to be a bastion of beatles/floyd/byrds/zep/stooges etc when i first arrived. since then a few vociferous posters have waned and people like ced, baron, owen (not that he was new) etc have raised the profile of soul more.

and rightly so. give me candi statton over thin lizzy any day.
Apologising for the incitement of racial hatred in modern-Day Britain, Toby wrote:Also, what sort of society do we live in where jokes about religious garb or dress can't be made?

Postby Guest » 20 Aug 2004, 22:39

goldwax wrote:
Cédric wrote:
goldwax wrote:Is this because more soul people have arrived? (People like Baron, for example.)

What do you mean ? Baron was there all the time. On Mojo and here since the beginning. He even took part of the "We Got More Soul" exchange. Don't you remember ?

I wasn't being clear. I was using my start on the MOJO boards as a sort of year zero. I'm not sure when he started on the MOJO boards, but it was well after that.

He'll always be a newbie to me. :D

Ah, these young whippahsnappers, what to do with them?

Postby Guest » 20 Aug 2004, 22:39

the blond bimbo wrote:give me candi statton over thin lizzy any day.

Don't say that on Phil's birthday.

yomptepi
BCB thumbscrew of Justice

Postby yomptepi » 20 Aug 2004, 22:40

the blond bimbo wrote:[and rightly so. give me candi statton over thin lizzy any day.

What on earth are you thinking of. Have you heard enough Lynott to be able to judge him so harshly against a mediocre collection of soul standards.
You don't like me...do you?

Cédric

Postby Cédric » 20 Aug 2004, 22:40

goldwax wrote:
Cédric wrote:

I wasn't being clear. I was using my start on the MOJO boards as a sort of year zero. I'm not sure when he started on the MOJO boards, but it was well after that.

OK... You mean that Baron is your Ronnie Wood, eh !

I´m so excited.

Tonto Papadopoulos
Utter Cad

Postby Tonto Papadopoulos » 20 Aug 2004, 22:43

Bruno wrote:
the blond bimbo wrote:[and rightly so. give me candi statton over thin lizzy any day.

What on earth are you thinking of. Have you heard enough Lynott to be able to judge him so harshly against a mediocre collection of soul standards.

i've heard enough, michael.

phil never touched me in quite the same way candi does, if you'll pardon the expression.

Tonto Papadopoulos
Utter Cad

Postby Tonto Papadopoulos » 20 Aug 2004, 22:43

nathan wrote:
the blond bimbo wrote:give me candi statton over thin lizzy any day.

Don't say that on Phil's birthday.

it's ok, he can't hear me. he's dead.

yomptepi

Postby yomptepi » 20 Aug 2004, 22:44

well, I am shocked.

Tonto Papadopoulos
Utter Cad

Postby Tonto Papadopoulos » 20 Aug 2004, 22:45

Cédric wrote:

hats off, ced. that was excellent!

Owen
definitely not Travolta

Postby Owen » 20 Aug 2004, 22:46

goldwax wrote:
the blond bimbo wrote:
goldwax wrote:
the blond bimbo wrote:
goldwax wrote:

that could well have been me. i certainly remember bemoaning the "classic rock" feel to mojo at the time. one of the reasons i was at least as comfortable on Q for a while, despite my advancing years!

It was definitely a newbie, so that rules you out, unless you were using an alias, of course.

but yeah, i agree with nikki. mojo seemed to be a bastion of beatles/floyd/byrds/zep/stooges etc when i first arrived. since then a few vociferous posters have waned and people like ced, baron, owen (not that he was new) etc have raised the profile of soul more.

Yeah, that's how it seems to me. MOJO (and then BCB) have become much more diverse.

You think? It's felt more classic rock than ever to me recently. Might be all the poll threads about the usual suspects. Maybe not the last week or so but there seemed to be very little else there for most of the spring and early summer.

Not that I've listened to much soul this year anyway but I haven't noticed much of a change and as Griff says hip hop and pop are even less talked about

Tonto Papadopoulos
Utter Cad

Postby Tonto Papadopoulos » 20 Aug 2004, 22:46

Bruno wrote:well, I am shocked.

ask me if i'm bothered.

Cédric

Postby Cédric » 20 Aug 2004, 22:47

goldwax wrote:
Cédric wrote:
goldwax wrote:
Cédric wrote:

Except that he doesn't look like me as much as he ought to.

Did I say you were his Keith Richards ?

I´m so excited.

yomptepi

Postby yomptepi » 20 Aug 2004, 22:47

Whatever

Owen
definitely not Travolta

Postby Owen » 20 Aug 2004, 22:49

goldwax wrote:
Owen wrote:
goldwax wrote:
the blond bimbo wrote:
goldwax wrote:
the blond bimbo wrote:
goldwax wrote:

Yeah, that's how it seems to me. MOJO (and then BCB) have become much more diverse.

You think? It's felt more classic rock than ever to me recently. Might be all the poll threads about the usual suspects. Maybe not the last week or so but there seemed to be very little else there for most of the spring and early summer.

Not that I've listened to much soul this year anyway but I haven't noticed much of a change and as Griff says hip hop and pop are even less talked about

Well, these things come and go, but in general, I'd say it is more diverse. To the point that I see talk of The Who and Kinks and such and think, "How quaint."

:-)

I tend to think 'do i have any PMs to read'

LeBaron
Diamond Geezer

Postby LeBaron » 20 Aug 2004, 22:52

Bruno wrote:

A mediocre collection of soul standards? Are you kidding me? I think that single cd ranks song for song alongside any collection of tunes by any soul artist. Perhaps you could quibble, about the order or ranking of greatness, but she deserves a place in the debate. Mediocre is NOT the word.

For the record, I am registered at MOJO as of December 9. It was probably 2002.
Quaco wrote:Are you fucking high?

take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

The Modernist

Postby The Modernist » 20 Aug 2004, 22:52

People do seem to be into soul, but they don't seem to have grown up with it. There is a general lack of interest in dance music on this board.

Owen
definitely not Travolta

Postby Owen » 20 Aug 2004, 22:53

Trill Azz Baron wrote:
Bruno wrote:

A mediocre collection of soul standards? Are you kidding me? I think that single cd ranks song for song alongside any collection of tunes by any soul artist. Perhaps you could quibble, about the order or ranking of greatness, but she deserves a place in the debate. Mediocre is NOT the word.

For the record, I am registered at MOJO as of December 9. It was probably 2002.

I can kind of see his point about the material, it's not all the best, but the playing and singing is incredible and even the material is as good as you are likely to get with any non-writing southern soul artist.