*BRAND NEW What film / video / DVD did you watch today?*

Backslapping time. Well done us. We are fantastic.
The Write Profile
2017 BCB Cup Champ

Postby The Write Profile » 18 Nov 2004, 10:09

It's a bit clumsy at times, and its use of Nick Drake and Coldpay was definitely too much in the way of mood-creating, but in saying that it's a very nice debut indeed, even though one gets the suspicion that it's a thoughtful character piece with the romantic element put on at the end. Zach Braff is very good, but maybe there's a sense that he wanted to make a musing piece in the vein of Eternal Sunshine but eventually pared things down a bit. Very funny at times, lots of nice little visual jokes--for example the fact that the doctor has so many framed diplomas that they run up to the ceiling, or the "silent velcro".

And natalie portman was cute as a button.

Maybe a full review will follow later if I can be bothered.
It's before my time but I've been told, he never came back from Karangahape Road.

The Midnight Special
Renaissance Man

Postby The Midnight Special » 18 Nov 2004, 11:49

Maxwell's Golden Pickaxe wrote:Image

:lol: :lol: VERY funny. Billy Bob Thorton is superb as the alcoholic, child- and self-loathing Santa. If you don't like Christmas (and irritating kids) then this definitely for you. Even if you do like Christmas and irritating kids then check it out. Goes a little soft at the end but in general a winner!

I saw that the other day. It was a bit far fetched, but I'd give it a solid 7 out of 10. Best bit was the asian bloke from the bar - "I'm not gay!"
Gracias por su visita

Mr Maps
a drunk in a midnight choir

Postby Mr Maps » 18 Nov 2004, 13:24

nathan wrote:
Hip Priest wrote:I took my neice to see this last year and we still reference it to each other.

"Look at you!"

It's GINORMOUS!

thanks Buddy
nathan wrote:I realize there is a time and a place for unsexy music, but I personally have no time for it.

Django wrote: It's video clips of earnest post-rock I want, and I have little time for anything else.

19th biggest tosser on BCB

Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure

Postby Snarfyguy » 18 Nov 2004, 15:09

A wonderful idea ruined by contemporary singers doing renditions of classic Motown hits backed up by the remaining Funk Brothers and "dramatic re-enactments" of yarns the guys tell.

The historical angle is great, but there's too much schlock here for me.

I packed it in after about an hour.
GoogaMooga wrote: The further away from home you go, the greater the risk of getting stuck there.

Maxwell's Golden Pickaxe
spud thick mick

Postby Maxwell's Golden Pickaxe » 18 Nov 2004, 15:13

I was first seduced by this film as a teenager and over the years my relationship with it has changed a lot. Every time I watch it more flaws are revealed (the hippy dialogue, the 'profound statement', the gimmicky editing) but still after all this time I love it.

I saw it on the big screen for the first time ever last night. The print was in an absolutely awful state, really scratchy and the movie kept 'skipping'. But when Steppenwolf kick in with the theme song over the opening credits, when 'Wasn't Born To Follow' plays as they swim in the clear and jewelled waters and when Roger McGuinn wails over the closing credits, it still gets to me.

Cédric

Postby Cédric » 18 Nov 2004, 15:21

snarfyguy wrote:Image

A wonderful idea ruined by contemporary singers doing renditions of classic Motown hits backed up by the remaining Funk Brothers and "dramatic re-enactments" of yarns the guys tell.

Exactly what I think (and what I did)...
Captain Spaulding wrote:I sent my list already! It´s shit.

I´m so excited.

My name is Spaulding
Pancake Expert

Postby My name is Spaulding » 18 Nov 2004, 16:41

Walk In My Shadow wrote:If Spaulding buys it, I'll buy it too.

Kenji
Otaku

Postby Kenji » 18 Nov 2004, 16:51

I was first seduced by this film as a teenager and over the years my relationship with it has changed a lot. Every time I watch it more flaws are revealed (the hippy dialogue, the 'profound statement', the gimmicky editing) but still after all this time I love it.

I saw it on the big screen for the first time ever last night. The print was in an absolutely awful state, really scratchy and the movie kept 'skipping'. But when Steppenwolf kick in with the theme song over the opening credits, when 'Wasn't Born To Follow' plays as they swim in the clear and jewelled waters and when Roger McGuinn wails over the closing credits, it still gets to me.

I'll say again my best experience in a movie theater ever was when I watched this movie in a theater in Hannover in Germany. I had beer and joints (back of the theater) and there was just ONE other person in the theater...it was 1993...

It was dubbed in German but I knew the story so it was OK...

The other person was old - I tried to talk a little after the movie...but I couldn't...

Cédric

Postby Cédric » 18 Nov 2004, 17:01

Kenji wrote:

I'll say again my best experience in a movie theater ever was when I watched this movie in a theater in Hannover in Germany. I had beer and joints (back of the theater) and there was just ONE other person in the theater...it was 1993...

It was dubbed in German but I knew the story so it was OK...

The other person was old - I tried to talk a little after the movie...but I couldn't...

I first saw it on video in the States when I was 18. When I came back, a local cinema started to play it at mindnight on Saturdays. I went to see it again with one of my friends. Of course, we were completely stoned and liked it a lot. Then, we went there again the following week with some other friends. Then, we did it again the week after, etc... I must have seen it a dozen of times during its first four months of weekly show. After that, it was impossible to find a place. Too many stoned people were going there and the theatre was filled every Saturday night. I didn't mind because I knew it by heart already.

I saw it again recently and I was surprised by the pure power of fascination of the motorcycles scenes. It's really when it doesn't t try to "say" anything, when it's just about landscapes, poetry and Vision that the film is the most powerful. The speech on the hippies, the freedom and the neo-western allegory is just ridiculous...

I´m so excited.

Maxwell's Golden Pickaxe
spud thick mick

Postby Maxwell's Golden Pickaxe » 18 Nov 2004, 17:25

Cédric wrote:I saw it again recently and I was surprised by the pure power of fascination of the motorcycles scenes. It's really when it doesn't t try to "say" anything, when it's just about landscapes, poetry and Vision that the film is the most powerful. The speech on the hippies, the freedom and the neo-western allegory is just ridiculous...

Yeah, I'm mainly in agreement here. Although I do find the character of Captain American kind of intriguing. I still can't work him out.
Visually it is beautiful in places alright. When digital projection comes into movie theatres I'll go to see it again because its kind of ruined when you're looking at Monument Valley with black lines and spots all over it.

Werewolf

Postby Werewolf » 18 Nov 2004, 20:14

Cédric wrote:
snarfyguy wrote:Image

Exactly what I think (and what I did)...

I don't think it's so bad.

It's certainly flawed and a straight up documentary might have been better but I assume there was not enough archive material for that.

Ben Harper does a good job on his Marvin covers I think.

A Lime Steve

Postby A Lime Steve » 18 Nov 2004, 20:36

BARON CORNY DOG
Diamond Geezer

Postby BARON CORNY DOG » 18 Nov 2004, 21:44

Maxwell's Golden Pickaxe wrote:
Cédric wrote:I saw it again recently and I was surprised by the pure power of fascination of the motorcycles scenes. It's really when it doesn't t try to "say" anything, when it's just about landscapes, poetry and Vision that the film is the most powerful. The speech on the hippies, the freedom and the neo-western allegory is just ridiculous...

Yeah, I'm mainly in agreement here. Although I do find the character of Captain American kind of intriguing. I still can't work him out.

I think they're both complete idiots and aren't supposed to be sympathetic characters at all. Of course, I like them (and Jack Nicholson), but I think the movie is much darker than just the last scene.

I love the George Harrison quip about when he came to the States to check out San Francisco and the "hippies" and was a little bummed to just find a bunch of "spotty kids." Perfect.
take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

My name is Spaulding
Pancake Expert

Postby My name is Spaulding » 18 Nov 2004, 22:00

Incredible set list on this one:

Walk In My Shadow wrote:If Spaulding buys it, I'll buy it too.

Cédric

Postby Cédric » 18 Nov 2004, 23:58

Werewolf wrote:Ben Harper does a good job on his Marvin covers I think.

No, Werewolf, you can't be that snob... :wink:

I´m so excited.

Muskrat
World's Foremost Authority
Location: Next to the park; across the street from the college; and the freeway at my back

Postby Muskrat » 19 Nov 2004, 00:11

snarfyguy wrote: A wonderful idea ruined by contemporary singers doing renditions of classic Motown hits backed up by the remaining Funk Brothers ....

Joan Osborne knocked me out to the degree that I went out and bought a couple of her albums, and I liked a few other performances, as well. They certainly didn't ruin the film for me.

Different strokes, I guess.
Things that a fella can't forget...

Lord Rother wrote: I’m with Googs.

Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure

Postby Snarfyguy » 19 Nov 2004, 00:13

muskrat wrote:
snarfyguy wrote: A wonderful idea ruined by contemporary singers doing renditions of classic Motown hits backed up by the remaining Funk Brothers ....

Joan Osborne knocked me out to the degree that I went out and bought a couple of her albums, and I liked a few other performances, as well. They certainly didn't ruin the film for me.

I liked the guy who sang "Shotgun." That segment was pretty good. I didn't like any of the others I saw.
GoogaMooga wrote: The further away from home you go, the greater the risk of getting stuck there.

BARON CORNY DOG
Diamond Geezer

Postby BARON CORNY DOG » 19 Nov 2004, 00:16

snarfyguy wrote:
muskrat wrote:

I liked the guy who sang "Shotgun." That segment was pretty good. I didn't like any of the others I saw.

Yet again, my suspicions are confirmed. This is why I still haven't seen this and probably won't.
take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

marios

Postby marios » 19 Nov 2004, 00:19

Lime Paradigm wrote:Image

How is it?

Oh, and welcome to the boards! You're not moot, are you?

Mrs Elsie Special

Postby Mrs Elsie Special » 19 Nov 2004, 00:30

Middy and I viewed 'Thomas the tank engine uncovered'. The derailment scenes were too harrowing for him to endure, so I turned it off.

I had to change his sheets three times during the night, poor lamb. After the third time I just left him submerged, as I'm very wary about mollycoddling him too much.
I'm 81 you know.

Return to “Classic Threads & Treasury of Mirth”