*BRAND NEW What film / video / DVD did you watch today?*

Backslapping time. Well done us. We are fantastic.
JQW

Postby JQW » 19 Nov 2004, 13:31

Simpsons Season 3 boxed set DVD 1 (all of it, even the awful adverts) for the first time, despite having the set since last Christmas.
The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. - Bertrand Russell

Very Stable Baron
Diamond Geezer

Postby Very Stable Baron » 19 Nov 2004, 15:42

Cédric wrote:But don't you see that Ryan Adams is just a clown selling a mix of superficial views on Paul Westerberg and Gram Parsons ? The fact that the guy believes that he's a soulful singer doesn't necessarily mean that he's one. He's just as soulful and sincere as a Gap advertise.

Well done, Cédric. Couldn't have said it better myself.
take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

My name is Spaulding
Pancake Expert

Postby My name is Spaulding » 19 Nov 2004, 16:45

Big Baby Baron wrote:
Cédric wrote:But don't you see that Ryan Adams is just a clown selling a mix of superficial views on Paul Westerberg and Gram Parsons ? The fact that the guy believes that he's a soulful singer doesn't necessarily mean that he's one. He's just as soulful and sincere as a Gap advertise.

Well done, Cédric. Couldn't have said it better myself.

A Gap Ad

Ben Harper

Ryan Adams
Walk In My Shadow wrote:If Spaulding buys it, I'll buy it too.

Owen
definitely not Travolta

Postby Owen » 19 Nov 2004, 17:54

never seen it before, cute but thats hardly breaking news is it :-)

Postby Guest » 19 Nov 2004, 17:59

Owen wrote:never seen it before, cute but thats hardly breaking news is it :-)

Ah, one of my favorites. It's amazing how many romantic comedy cliches were started with that movie. It still holds up very well too. And Clark Gable's drunk journalist is one of the great comedic performances of all time.

For some reason Capra didn't like journalists too much in his movies. :wink:

Owen
definitely not Travolta

Postby Owen » 19 Nov 2004, 18:02

nathan wrote:
Owen wrote:never seen it before, cute but thats hardly breaking news is it :-)

Ah, one of my favorites. It's amazing how many romantic comedy cliches were started with that movie. It still holds up very well too.

Yeah, about the only things that didn't were the things that had been copied so much but must have been fresh then, the dialogue and performances were still great.

And yeah it's been stripmined, The Sure Thing was the one that kept coming to mind but there were dozens of things that have become standards of the genre. But i'm a romcom fan generally i still enjoyed it a lot

Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure

Postby Snarfyguy » 19 Nov 2004, 19:15

Captain Spaulding wrote:
Cédric wrote:Ben Harper's very famous and successful in France (since his first album), so that's why I compare him with Mick Hucknall. To me, they more or less belong to the same world.

That´s very innacurate in my book. Harper is a truly soulful artist who has released the odd contrived song, but his overall repertoire is miles ahead of his contemporaries.

I see him as the thinking man´s Lenny Kravitz.

... also known as the mentally retarded person's Jimi Hendrix.

(of course, no offence meant to people with learning diabilities)
Jimbo wrote:Look, all I know is pretty much what I get from Robert Parry over at Consortium News.

Postby Guest » 19 Nov 2004, 19:25

PENK
Midnight to Six Man

Postby PENK » 20 Nov 2004, 02:21

Last night:

which was excellent.

Tonight:

which was (unexpectedly, it has to be said), also excellent.
Copehead wrote:I have met Gruff Rhys - although he claimed he wasn't and that he couldn't speak Welsh, as I spoke to him in Welsh, but it was him lying bastard.

My name is Spaulding
Pancake Expert

Postby My name is Spaulding » 20 Nov 2004, 04:42

Penk wrote:Last night:

which was excellent.

One of the best movies about the war that I´ve ever seen.
Walk In My Shadow wrote:If Spaulding buys it, I'll buy it too.

Cédric

Postby Cédric » 20 Nov 2004, 22:45

Possibly one of the saddest films I know (apart from the happy ending, of course)...

A magnificent copy on the huge screen of the Cinémathèque (*) : simply stunning.

(*) : Marios, before you ask... I was sitting on Georges Franju's chair !
Captain Spaulding wrote:I sent my list already! It´s shit.

I´m so excited.

James R
the grocer of despair

Postby James R » 21 Nov 2004, 11:48

The Manson Family. Flawed, yet hard to entirely dismiss. For better or worse this is evidently where underground exploitation is at these days.
pcqgod wrote:I like how Liebling progresses from a rotting, animated corpse living in his parents' basement to a slightly more life-affirming walking corpse by the end of the movie.

Goat Boy wrote:I recall a midget with large tits dancing.

Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.

Postby Diamond Dog » 21 Nov 2004, 15:23

The Smamfy wrote:last night, The Incredibles. On DVD (ha! fuck you, film company!)
It's really rather good. The computer animation is sublime and the story is a little darker than the usual Pixar fare.

I paid to see it at the cinema with the family.

Magnificent. A little too 'grown up' for my six year old girl, the adults loved it!!!

Sam, Mr Incredible is Yompy, isn't he?! :mrgreen:

no one

Postby no one » 21 Nov 2004, 18:14

Diamonddog wrote:Magnificent. A little too 'grown up' for my six year old girl, the adults loved it!!!

my daughter is 7, and my littlest one is 4....would you recommend i pass on this one? what in it was too adult, in your opinion?

we took them to see the Spongebob movie last night and we all loved it :D

just like an old Bugs Bunny or Popeye cartoon, it contained plenty of jokes and references adults would like....David Hasselhoff had a silly cameo and Twisted Sister saved the day in a roundabout kind of way via Motorhead :P

my only complaint: not enough Squidward :evil:

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 21 Nov 2004, 18:26

Maryann wrote:
Diamonddog wrote:Magnificent. A little too 'grown up' for my six year old girl, the adults loved it!!!

my daughter is 7, and my littlest one is 4....would you recommend i pass on this one? what in it was too adult, in your opinion?

I think it's almost cetainly too much for your four year old - it's very much like a 'kids James Bond'. Action and the nasty character is (genuinely) nasty. It's also two hours long - more than enough for most 4-6 year olds. The 7 year old will probably just about get through it and enjoy it.
It's a shame really because it's probably the best Pixar film I've seen - but it isn't as 'funny' as the others.

no one

Postby no one » 21 Nov 2004, 18:32

thank you....their father had them psyched, because like Velvis, he's a superhero fiend :D ......but he also mentioned going to see Polar Express next, so i'm thinking we'll take them to that, instead...

Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure

Postby Snarfyguy » 21 Nov 2004, 18:56

Diamonddog wrote:
Maryann wrote:

I think it's almost cetainly too much for your four year old - it's very much like a 'kids James Bond'. Action and the nasty character is (genuinely) nasty. It's also two hours long - more than enough for most 4-6 year olds. The 7 year old will probably just about get through it and enjoy it.
It's a shame really because it's probably the best Pixar film I've seen - but it isn't as 'funny' as the others.

I found it much more laugh out loud than 'Finding Nemo' or 'Shrek.'

Excellent flick!
Jimbo wrote:Look, all I know is pretty much what I get from Robert Parry over at Consortium News.

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 21 Nov 2004, 18:59

snarfyguy wrote:
Diamonddog wrote:
Maryann wrote:

I found it much more laugh out loud than 'Finding Nemo' or 'Shrek.'

Excellent flick!

I meant it had more 'grown up' humour than stuff for the kids. Madison (my eight year old) is pretty bright for her age but she found it difficult to concentrate for the full two hours..

NotBillyTheKid

Postby NotBillyTheKid » 21 Nov 2004, 19:10

Ced, cupofchar, nevereknows.... have you seen the Chabrol's one ? it seems good, good critics...
There's a big Buzzzzzzzzzzz around 'tropical malady' too. Someone see it ?

With my baby, it's difficult to go to the cinema; The last one (in a cinema of course) was 'Old Boy'.

Cédric

Postby Cédric » 21 Nov 2004, 21:03

NotBillyTheKid wrote:Ced, cupofchar, nevereknows.... have you seen the Chabrol's one ? it seems good, good critics...
There's a big Buzzzzzzzzzzz around 'tropical malady' too. Someone see it ?

With my baby, it's difficult to go to the cinema; The last one (in a cinema of course) was 'Old Boy'.

I've been told that the Chabrol wasn't really good. I'm supposed to see some films this week. I'm planning to see "Tarnation", "Nobody Knows", "Pont Des Arts" (?) and probably the Chabrol one.

Lately I've been very impressed by 2046 (and I usually don't like Wong Kar-Wai). Lost In Translation was good. But the cream of the cream was Gerry. Can't beat that, IMO...
Captain Spaulding wrote:I sent my list already! It´s shit.

I´m so excited.